Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part of physical media's cover art is its spine, the fold that holds it all together. When you walk into a library and you look at the books, audiobooks, music cds, and dvds lining the shelves, what do you see? You see uniquely printed cover spine art across the board. Every piece of media has its own style, and if you're just browsing, that's the first thing that grabs your attention.

Now, let's look at some video game spine art!

lHyJtLa.jpg

4Rs67XS.jpg

9H3dgTH.jpg

S10a3Hs.jpg

I could stare at these all day. I've been archiving my video game collection lately because when I get the space, I intend to buy some shelves and display my collection proudly. However, I will be slightly disheartened when I get to the Nintendo Switch games. My least favorite out of the above photos would be the Wii games since they have a uniform background color across the whole console, but at least they all have unique title art, which is not something I can say about these...

2wgMBGo.jpg

Isn't this just dreadful to look at? Imagine going to a game store that's selling classic games, and see all the different sections lined up with cases spine-out. Then, you look at the Nintendo Switch section and you see no distinction among the games. The font is so uniformly basic and small that they'll start to blend in and you'll probably have to squint to read the title. For someone just browsing, nothing about these jumps out at you.

There is one beacon of hope for spine art diversity, however, and that's Super Bomberman R. It is the one game that dared to be different, and I refuse to display my Switch collection without it. If Konami missed the memo about making uniformly basic spine art, I'm glad they did. I wish others would follow Super Bomberman R's example.

Ow2KMtn.jpg

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to discuss and show off your favorite video game cover spine art! I think this is a very underappreciated aspect of physical media and deserves more attention by product designers.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me when entering this thread: "I bet the person who made this thread is a US poster"

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think this every time I look at my shelf lol. My 3DS titles below the Switch shelf even look nicer. It's a definite shame.

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part of physical media's cover art is its spine, the fold that holds it all together. When you walk into a library and you look at the books, audiobooks, music cds, and dvds lining the shelves, what do you see? You see uniquely printed cover spine art across the board. Every piece of media has its own style, and if you're just browsing, that's the first thing that grabs your attention.

Now, let's look at some video game spine art!

lHyJtLa.jpg

4Rs67XS.jpg

9H3dgTH.jpg

S10a3Hs.jpg

I could stare at these all day. I've been archiving my video game collection lately because when I get the space, I intend to buy some shelves and display my collection proudly. However, I will be slightly disheartened when I get to the Nintendo Switch games. My least favorite out of the above photos would be the Wii games since they have a uniform background color across the whole console, but at least they all have unique title art, which is not something I can say about these...

2wgMBGo.jpg

Isn't this just dreadful to look at? Imagine going to a game store that's selling classic games, and see all the different sections lined up with cases spine-out. Then, you look at the Nintendo Switch section and you see no distinction among the games. The font is so uniformly basic and small that they'll start to blend in and you'll probably have to squint to read the title. For someone just browsing, nothing about these jumps out at you.

There is one beacon of hope for spine art diversity, however, and that's Super Bomberman R. It is the one game that dared to be different, and I refuse to display my Switch collection without it. If Konami missed the memo about making uniformly basic spine art, I'm glad they did. I wish others would follow Super Bomberman R's example.

Ow2KMtn.jpg

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to discuss and show off your favorite video game cover spine art! I think this is a very underappreciated aspect of physical media and deserves more attention by product designers.
Only the original run of Super Bomberman R had that spine, later runs had the standard font. The original Binding of Isaac run had a unique font, as did the original run of Has Been Heroes. I also have the I am Setsuna Asian physical, which has a unique font on its American spine.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm prepared to be called crazy but that's exactly why I refuse to put my Switch cases side by side and rather try to place them somewhere where I can see the front-cover since the spines look so boring.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually love the clean, consistent aesthetic of the Switch spines. Minimalism is the way to go.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they are I guess. Not really a big deal to me because I don't stack them in a shelf like that. The box art for them more than make up for it though.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Oh definately..

My favorites are the PAL Wii U spines though, they are delicious. Wish they would do something like that.. but with red ofc. I like that...

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Me when entering this thread: "I bet the person who made this thread is a US poster"
Ye
We europeans have been living like that for years.
What I hate more is that now that they are finally more uniform european cases have to have the text centered while american and asian ones have it aligned to the left.
Makes the few imports I have stick out among the EU spines.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I, on the other hand, like the unified aspect that is achieved. It's the same reason I hate steelbooks.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That reversed GameCube spine is cursed. Why did NoA do that?

Super Bomberman R has a normal font on the Europe version.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love the uniform spine art of the switch, is miles better than the ps4 where sometimes publishers don't even try with it, or the rare cases where if I use the reverside box art, the ps4 logo no longer has the blue background

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i like the 3ds spines most of all. consistent but the icons give them all a unique flair

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only the original run of Super Bomberman R had that spine, later runs had the standard font. The original Binding of Isaac run had a unique font, as did the original run of Has Been Heroes. I also have the I am Setsuna Asian physical, which has a unique font on its American spine.
Did a Google. These spines are heroes.

nDjOBmy.png

Ye
What I hate more is that now that they are finally more uniform european cases have to have the text centered while american and asian ones have it aligned to the left.
I had no idea. Do you mind posting pictures?

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Xbox One spines are pretty decent for this. They find a good balance of being uniform while allowing each game to put it's clear identity on it.

And then there's RDR2 lol

hCQpdhA.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wii and Wii U did it best, enough standardization to feel organized but enough personality to pop out. At least with the Switch it doesn't feel bad to go digital

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
I'm a fan of Xbox One spines myself. It's got the uniform background but the logos are still styalized for the most part. Kind of a best of both worlds scenario.

oJUelYbNzj0NL7cxQDwva5EJItTgXD6xOEKfCSH0rBDAR3fzMB_N5C0VYZ89sagXFsyso6Bk0Ljhh2-cA20YdgoK2TIzDcsmJAJaOKfx1hZPJzv0Ie_Y2A0nqg0tqT3hrIydETGuXK6Xn20urLmtafsYzihXOUHRxOcwWkMK9WTIfK23TalHR1xYl3ty_nfhpBMsUxgqvl5JwVEV9PdTnaq67o5GcaDH4dMDycor9Ip1YeKEOjPdaaOS40cHQ584twxpUlzHwk03ZtFxlgWGrAkg7rk-R4W-II_XzlO6Gdlli8nYHiSZ4PcRmWcTRhnRI3fdLkCaSKLAuuYNiJCeb-yelku7ioy-avwp4Oiun7_3BJsf04C7gAO5IAbyN6UEzp20aYtMBOD0cpBOTD0A7T5z3n3hGdoIcWGf4tVeYj2SaFeH1dyAjV7J__4TYJPpC7z6Wjd_hY84QC4lrCqUiUDkBhz-7_3vkUnidYVYf3reErhM5okyh-iw9ylUC5EovbH84tTQMDZ-68bbqkPCB86HfNnLCKW03iod5iZTsUMTyUOPHS0YeU0fsn90Lk25xlmh_o5QAEnBb76SNmAI1Wlg8tKz1iLNCY_ES3KHg4Tv2jMwjeHqXj1wrLTNbJ1QsR9VPmHxMfs9n3tebREO0CngMoHSiW4W=w1172-h880-no

EDIT: Damn you Brutalitops, what a Ninja.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Worst part about them is that they're red. I'd prefer a neutral color, all with the same typeface and layout, but I'm big on visual standards and aesthetics. All of my game boxes are in the closet now because they've become an eyesore. Now that I think about it, I should buy a cd book and cartridge holder.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Plain spines are clearly better, and those GC ones look awful.
Would you recommend N A M C O M U S E U MTM ?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Agreed. Minimalism is great and all, but it doesn't work well in this case. It's just dull and hurts recognizability.

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of Xbox One spines myself. It's got the uniform background but the logos are still styalized for the most part. Kind of a best of both worlds scenario.

oJUelYbNzj0NL7cxQDwva5EJItTgXD6xOEKfCSH0rBDAR3fzMB_N5C0VYZ89sagXFsyso6Bk0Ljhh2-cA20YdgoK2TIzDcsmJAJaOKfx1hZPJzv0Ie_Y2A0nqg0tqT3hrIydETGuXK6Xn20urLmtafsYzihXOUHRxOcwWkMK9WTIfK23TalHR1xYl3ty_nfhpBMsUxgqvl5JwVEV9PdTnaq67o5GcaDH4dMDycor9Ip1YeKEOjPdaaOS40cHQ584twxpUlzHwk03ZtFxlgWGrAkg7rk-R4W-II_XzlO6Gdlli8nYHiSZ4PcRmWcTRhnRI3fdLkCaSKLAuuYNiJCeb-yelku7ioy-avwp4Oiun7_3BJsf04C7gAO5IAbyN6UEzp20aYtMBOD0cpBOTD0A7T5z3n3hGdoIcWGf4tVeYj2SaFeH1dyAjV7J__4TYJPpC7z6Wjd_hY84QC4lrCqUiUDkBhz-7_3vkUnidYVYf3reErhM5okyh-iw9ylUC5EovbH84tTQMDZ-68bbqkPCB86HfNnLCKW03iod5iZTsUMTyUOPHS0YeU0fsn90Lk25xlmh_o5QAEnBb76SNmAI1Wlg8tKz1iLNCY_ES3KHg4Tv2jMwjeHqXj1wrLTNbJ1QsR9VPmHxMfs9n3tebREO0CngMoHSiW4W=w1172-h880-no

EDIT: Damn you Brutalitops, what a Ninja.
They even had enough space to add a little Bomberman on the spine. I love it when designers squeeze a little character on the spine like that.

Fry Rumple

Oct 30, 2017
Rennes, France
European covers almost never had these things and i'm fine with it. My Switch games don't have it but my gamecube, wii and wii u games don't have it either.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Ye
Yes this, no idea why they have to center the text for EU...

Did a Google. These spines are heroes.

Can check out this post, see how the titles on the bottom games are centered.

Japan / US all have the text aligned to the left. EU is centered.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spines in Europe have been a mess since forever, it sucks. That Wii picture in the OP is the way it should be done, it's so beautiful. The uniform white background makes the logo art really pop without making everything look too busy.

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With some exceptions, the spines Europe have gotten since Gamecube have all been generic (don't mind the Killer7 one since that's an NTSC copy).

W3LnWd7.png
lMvItsx.png
TpL6FYN.png
Oh god, the GC and Wii title fonts... The HORROR! Especially for GC since you're trying to blend basic arial font with detailed backgrounds.

What are those colored triangles for?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

EU spines:
switchspine0xkry.jpg

Switch - region mix. The FF XII cover is the reversible one, regular one is red like all others. Black JP one is Onimusha's reversible cover, regular one is also red like normal.

3DS:
3dsspinenjky1.jpg

3DS is an inconsistent mess of logos and default fonts. Using the reversible FE Echoes cover there, disregard that.

DS:
dsspine99k38.jpg

DS started the messiness basically ... it's mostly default font but some games still put logos on there. Peeking in from the left you can see a US copy of 9-9-9 with proper art, more 3DS spines above.

Wii U:
wiiuspineaqjmz.jpg

more messy logos and default fonts on Wii U... yes the spines were blue in EU, not white.
Wii:
wiispinelxj6g.jpg

another mess of logos and default text. Madworld and Manhunt 2 in the bottom row are US versions, the cardboard sleeve on Metroid down there is the JP version of Other M (the most amazing box ever).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I love the variety of the older consoles and the PS4. The Xbox one also has uniform spines but they are grey and I think you see logos more often than the Switch ones.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oh god, the GC and Wii title fonts... The HORROR!

What are those colored triangles for?
The triangles denote the market this particular SKU is being sold in, referring to countries specifically. Dark green = UK for example. Pink-ish purple is usually for EU-wide special editions or bundles that have all the languages on the back of the box. Dark purple is Germany, blue is Netherlands etc. There are tons of variants and there isn't really an easy way to list all of them but that's what they're fore, generally speaking.

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the way the 3DS handled it with the icons. Wish they did that for the Switch boxes.
I agree. I think if I lived in Europe, I would at least appreciate the icons on the spines.
The triangles denote the market this particular SKU is being sold in, referring to countries specifically. Dark green = UK for example. Pink-ish purple is usually for EU-wide special editions or bundles that have all the languages on the back of the box. Dark purple is Germany, blue is Netherlands etc. There are tons of variants and there isn't really an easy way to list all of them but that's what they're fore, generally speaking.
It's a regional signifier. It shows what region that particular copy was produced for.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Also, thanks for the extra photos, The Moon. Even with the inconsistency of your region's previous spines, that Switch row is still the biggest eyesore. Like, damn. Haha!

No, I mean all of them.

The GameCube part is... reversed.

image4gsar.jpg
I see. The console logo does seem like it should be at the top instead of the bottom.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
With some exceptions, the spines Europe have gotten since Gamecube have all been generic (don't mind the Killer7 one since that's an NTSC copy).
lMvItsx.png
Those were even more fun because not only did the GCN spines mixed up generic text vs logos and art but they also had the whole upside-down platform logo thing with the white bar to make things even more weird if you're mixing regions.

look at this nonsense!!
gcnspines4pkqz.jpg

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Those were even more fun because not only did the GCN spines mixed up generic text vs logos and art but they also had the whole upside-down platform logo thing with the white bar to make things even more weird if you're mixing regions.

look at this nonsense!!
gcnspines4pkqz.jpg
Good lord, it will look wrong no matter how you arrange it.

This is the kind of situation where I would rather pay more to stick with 1 region only or get digital copy.