• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo needs to put it's library of old games on the switch for purchase ASAP. The thirst is there.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Doom is to games as C is to programming languages. Your device is legit only if it has a doom port.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I know it's bad for Nintendo and all but I've always thought of the Switch as the perfect form factor for retro emulation and I hope it gets hacked wide open just for that.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Nintendo DS suffered heavily from piracy from about 2007/2008 on, but I'm not sure if there's any proper research done on the matter.

I'm sure the 3DS suffered a bit as well, though not as heavily.

There is a proper research on piracy.

The Dutch firm Ecory was commissioned to research the impact of piracy for several months, eventually submitting a 304-page report to the EU in May 2015. The report concluded that: "In general, the results do not show robust statistical evidence of displacement of sales by online copyright infringements. That does not necessarily mean that piracy has no effect but only that the statistical analysis does not prove with sufficient reliability that there is an effect."

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Re piracy, I'm of the opinion that the majority of pirates wouldn't pay for the product in the first place, so I would agree that claims of lost sales are kind of an exaggeration. End of the day, there's no way I'm going to be spending money on snes games on the switch when I have them on so many other platforms already.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Glad I didn't preorder a GDP Win 2.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I would to know how in depth they went with that report.
R4 availability kinda went pretty well with the collapsing of DS software sales.
PSP's ease of piracy also certainly didn't help and kind of explain why support for it collapsed as well outside of Japan.
I mean, Sony tried to clamp down on piracy hard with nothing to show for it.
Although is that all due to disinterest from the market of just general ease of piracy...

I guess the problem ain't about the big sellers, NSMB even when it was heavily pirated still was one of the top sellers regardless.
Smaller games might be the difference between profitability and barely breaking even.
Hopefully we never get another case study and the Switch's online focus force people to not pirate games.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo needs to put it's library of old games on the switch for purchase ASAP. The thirst is there.
How big of a thirst is there? Nintendo has the VC sales numbers for two generations.

I like the VC a lot and hope it comes back on the Switch, but how many are excited about buying these old games?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How big of a thirst is there? Nintendo has the VC sales numbers for two generations.

I like the VC a lot and hope it comes back on the Switch, but how many are excited about buying these old games?
Looking at Nintendo's strategy, there's probably a big enough market for SMW, SMB1->3 (that they rereleased how many times now?) and the other big titles.
The other less well known titles probably don't make that much which is probably why we're seeing stuffs like Classic mini series which are essentially a pack of what most would buy anyway.

The lack of VC is also a good way for them to push Switch owners to buy digital software that would be having a stiff competition against some of the best games there are.
I mean let's be real if you have to buy a game and you have to choose between EVERYTHING Nintendo ever released and what you have on Switch, you may end up buying less Switch specific software.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, finally the proper Doom on the go.

I feel like it's only a matter of time.
DOOM is already really good on New 3DS (and probably PSP though I don't own own one)! As well as Quake and Quake 2.
Most WADs I've tried work and run well on the source port ported to 3DS and the map displays on the bottom screen. However, 3D support never got properly implemented, looks weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
This always worries me after I watched my PSP get eaten alive by piracy.

However my attitude always changes later into he consoles' lives when I want to preserve digital content easier, or just throw as many games into one piece of hardware as possible.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything I really hope Nintendo realizes the error of their ways with VC or lack thereof and gets on it sooner rather than later.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well, it was only a matter of time until the Switch was cracked. Don't thnk it'll hurt software sales, but I expect tons of firmware updates from here on out. Maybe now Nintendo will realize that they better cash on VC or else someone else will for free.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, will be great for 3rd partysupport if the Switch gets emulated.... don't have any sympathy for those hackers of new consoles if they help to pirate the system. Aren't there enough systems with emulators out there?

Oct 25, 2017
If anything I really hope Nintendo realizes the error of their ways with VC or lack thereof and gets on it sooner rather than later.
Well, it was only a matter of time until the Switch was cracked. Don't thnk it'll hurt software sales, but I expect tons of firmware updates from here on out. Maybe now Nintendo will realize that they better cash on VC or else someone else will for free.

The homebrew scene for the Switch is literally less than 5% of the switch owner base and they made it excessively harder to softmod it past a certain firmware and people willing to gamble their switch on hardmod promises (Which is not for free and will in fact costs hundreds of dollars to prep) are on their own. This isn't really anything to them besides more firmware optimization.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
It's always a bittersweet feeling when homebrew is introduced to a new console. On the one hand I love the idea of emulation but I don't want to see third party companies not releasing games on the Switch out of fear of piracy.

Last edited:

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You probably shouldn't advertise a group that literally just sells piracy enabling garbage, this is like saying "Gateway was used for anything but Piracy" on the 3DS, its a bullshit cherade.

Or that will brick your console because glitching the boot sequence is a great way to brick shit.

Previous threads on their snake oil were closed for good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
You probably shouldn't advertise a group that literally just sells piracy enabling garbage, this is like saying "Gateway was used for anything but Piracy" on the 3DS, its a bullshit cherade.

Or that will brick your console because glitching the boot sequence is a great way to brick shit.

Previous threads on their snake oil were closed for good reason.
Just to be safe, since it's removed, going to assume that poster was talking about team excuter?

Tauntaun

Oct 27, 2017
best way for nintendo to get ahead on this and other issues is to roll a complete VC catalog into their premium online subscription, netflix style.

ABEZ23

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hmm well I've always been pretty against piracy and homebrew stuff. Not my thing.

The wii homebrew scene makes the systwm way better with homebrew. HDD gam installs, all systems with decen emulation, Nintendo online even after shutdown and so much more... it is sad that the Wii U is not getting the same amount of love!