milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I love how low-key and under(non?)stated this feature is, yet it's literally the best thing about the entire update and Nintendo Online combined. Sadly I have no one to take advantage of with this yet but I will at some point I'm sure, especially if my brother buys his own Switch at some point.

Basically it sounds like as long as you have a Wifi connection and there's no simultaneous use, you can download and play someone else's games with no drawbacks. If this understanding is correct, then this is exactly what I hoped but had no faith that Nintendo would eventually do.

Carbone

Oct 27, 2017
So if i get that right, in order to not mess with the owner's cloud saves :
The owner of the game has to play only with an alt-account on the primary console. ( but then will he be able to back ups its savedata ?)
The other user has to play with owner's account on the secondary console.

Or is it possible to deactivate cloud saves on the secondary system for the owner's account?

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Or is it possible to deactivate cloud saves on the secondary system for the owner's account?
I think the second system has to manually upload or download saves.

I love how low-key and under(non?)stated this feature is, yet it's literally the best thing about the entire update and Nintendo Online combined. Sadly I have no one to take advantage of with this yet but I will at some point I'm sure, especially if my brother buys his own Switch at some point.

Basically it sounds like as long as you have a Wifi connection and there's no simultaneous use, you can download and play someone else's games with no drawbacks. If this understanding is correct, then this is exactly what I hoped but had no faith that Nintendo would eventually do.

I'd keep quiet about it too if I was them. There isn't a benefit for a publisher. I don't feel bad for using the loophole though. Seems like a fair trade when profit margins are so much higher on a digital copy.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are cloud backups mandatory and automatic? no way to select the games you want backed up and do it manually?

Oct 26, 2017
Final fuckingly. Don't give a crap about game sharing but being able to transfer your account and designate a new primary console through the website means they've finally eliminated calling customer service as part of the process of recovering your account if your console is lost/stolen/broken.

Only being able to do it once per year is still arbitrarily dumb and not ideal, but way better than the archaic shitshow they had before. Feeling way more confident about digital purchases now.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Reddit is saying the license check isn't continuous. You can go into airplane mode following the boot and you won't get kicked.

That's what everyone wanted. Glad they took a few notes at least. Now just copy the rest.
Can someone please verify this? This would be the perfect way to do it, just share cell data with Switch for verification and play offline after

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017

are cloud backups mandatory and automatic? no way to select the games you want backed up and do it manually?

Don't worry. If it detect a conflict in cloud saves it will be deactivated automatically. Nothing will be overwritten without your confirmation.

I've been playing with this all night.

You can manually deactivate cloud saves for all games or each game individually on each console separately.

As a fail safe, if the Cloud Save detects the local save is different than the cloud backup, it automatically disables the feature for that game.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing with this all night.

You can manually deactivate cloud saves for all games or each game individually on each console separately.

As a fail safe, if the Cloud Save detects the local save is different than the cloud backup, it automatically disables the feature for that game.
It only disables automatic backup, it doesn't delete the backup itself, right?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Ok now here's the catch:

On secondary devices, only the profile of the buyer is able to access the games. Other profiles can't access them :/

And with cloud saves that means sharing the saves (unless it can be disabled in some way)
Isn't the same with other consoles?

The system checks if the account can access the game and then boots up. If the other Switch -- the one with the primary account is being used, the game on the secondary Switch will be suspended.
Ahhh so I won't be able to play MK8 with a friend.. clever way to prevent what people like me do with Xbox share.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Actually, here's a question regarding the Secondary Account Online Component:

Does Xbox and PSN require you being Online on 2nd Account to verify?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
When using downloadable software on a non-primary console, your game will pause if your Nintendo Account is used to access downloadable software on any other Nintendo Switch console.

So just to be clear, this seems to suggest the 2nd account will pause if the Primary account is using any digital content on the Switch, not just the same game like in the Mario Kart picture on the website

That seems a bit disappointing, i'd buy a 2nd Switch for my son if he could play all my digital games, but if we can't play on our systems at the same time it seems pointless

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
So just to be clear, this seems to suggest the 2nd account will pause if the Primary account is using any digital content on the Switch, not just the same game like in the Mario Kart picture on the website

That seems a bit disappointing, i'd buy a 2nd Switch for my son if he could play all my digital games, but if we can't play on our systems at the same time it seems pointless
You can just go offline on your primary. It can't detect you playing a downloadable game if it's not connected to the net.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This is account sharing, not game sharing. Their intent is for you to play your own games on multiple Switch consoles that you own; not giving your login details to a friend.
Game sharing would be set up like Steam Family Sharing where you can give another account access to your games.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool, though while my Xbox or PlayStation is almost certainly connected to the Internet, the Switch may not be, so it could be slightly more inconvenient. Like, getting games from a buddy is cool, but not being able to play my own stuff unless I am connected to the Internet (with Switch's meh wi-fi that can connect from a lower distance from the router than my laptop or mobile phone) makes it sound like too much of a hassle. Still, good option for those having an Internet connection available at pretty much all times.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd call this good news. I don't know why a PR person responsible for the online service and it's information broadcasting would think it's ok to leave this out of ... say ... a video about the service featured in a Nintendo Direct.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
My cousin and i set this up about an hour ago and its gonna work out great cause he buys alot of indie games and i buy all the first party stuff so its a win win.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. But there are multiple solutions.

1- Just play your primary console offline.
2- And the easier solution is just to play on a different profile in the primary console.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
I'd call this good news. I don't know why a PR person responsible for the online service and it's information broadcasting would think it's ok to leave this out of ... say ... a video about the service featured in a Nintendo Direct.
Well. technically is not related to the Nintendo Online service but more of account management and how you can use the account now across multiple devices.

The actual explanation is a bit boring and they won't acknowledge it as game sharing. :p

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, Nintendo account is actually modern now.
Kind of surprised we didn't know about this before the release.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh wow, this changes everything.

Going to put my money where my mouth is and buy digital more often now and get that NSO sub while I'm at it.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Say my girlfriend has my secondary account on her Switch, can she still play my games logged in as her?

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Say my girlfriend has my secondary account on her Switch, can she still play my games logged in as her?

Ur account needs to be primary on her switch(so she will be able to play ur games on her account)

Ur account as secondary on ur switch, u need always internet to play games.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
This is the right direction for Nintendo kinda makes me wanna go digital so me and the gf can play each others games.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Been considering grabbing a second Switch for the fam, so this will be a super nice feature to have.

Also glad the transfers are easier and don't require a call to Nintendo.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an improvement but it still sucks for a family-friendly hardware. Should allow two accounts to be activated as primary.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So, if the secondary console can only play the games on the account that bought them, that means that account will have different savefiles per system right? So what happens if you use cloud saves for that account for both systems? And are player stats (play time per game) different for each system for that account or do they accumulate?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
So if i get that right, in order to not mess with the owner's cloud saves :
The owner of the game has to play only with an alt-account on the primary console. ( but then will he be able to back ups its savedata ?)
The other user has to play with owner's account on the secondary console.

This is for the same owner to have multiple consoles not to game share.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
So looks like it may not work with local coop games. When I tried to join lobbies made by my primary account on another system I would be greeted by an error message and then booted out (at least in puyo puyo tetris and just shapes and beats local coop) that sucks because for some games I'd love to not have to share screen space if we had 2 switches available :(

Blade25

Oct 27, 2017
Did the account sharing with an in-law. I'm impressed with it.

We also switch Primary switches and they were able to play Mario tennis online using my digital game while I was playing on mine using my profile. You can't get banned for this type of stuff right??

With more games available to me now because of this I wonder if account sharing affects digital game sales.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who went full digital on Nintendo starting on 3DS, this was the one remaining glaring issue for me. And it has been sorted finally! Going to tell my bro that if he wants his own Switch, he won't have to buy anything I have, but I'd be happy if he bought something I don't have, lol.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I'm surprised. Never in a thousand years I expected Nintendo to do this. This is good, this is very good indeed.

Wonder if offline multiplayer between multiple consoles will work when sharing games. For example, I own Splatoon 2 and my friend doesn't, so I log in on his Switch with my account and download it there, and keep my own console offline. Then we both launch the game and try to play a local MP match. Guess I'll have to try this someday.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Did the account sharing with an in-law. I'm impressed with it.

We also switch Primary switches and they were able to play Mario tennis online using my digital game while I was playing on mine using my profile. You can't get banned for this type of stuff right??

With more games available to me now because of this I wonder if account sharing affects digital game sales.

Welp, I'm surprised. Never in a thousand years I expected Nintendo to do this. This is good, this is very good indeed.

Wonder if offline multiplayer between multiple consoles will work when sharing games. For example, I own Splatoon 2 and my friend doesn't, so I log in on his Switch with my account and download it there, and keep my own console offline. Then we both launch the game and try to play a local MP match. Guess I'll have to try this someday.

Not if you can't play your own games without WiFi.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
That's amazing !

My wife and I with 2 consoles will be able to share digital games.
EXACTLY what I needed.
Best update so far.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds awesome! Definitely giving my son a Switch this Christmas knowing we can now share games.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Why would Nintendo feel the need to advertise such a feature? The collective groaning and eye-rolling from the Internet would have made the world spin backwards for a half second, lol.

This way, forums and websites are doing the advertising for free, and on a much bigger scale as this is actually received as a genuine surprise and not as much as a hilariously late-coming feature (which it is anyway, but why does any good news about Nintendo have to be met with sarcasm?).