• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so i can get 7 random people to share the $35 for the family subscription? hopefully that means cloud saving is available for each account.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I dont want to pay for online games. I need more than NES games, but cloud saves is essential to me.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Yes I too like to compare what Sony and MS "give away" for 60€/year vs what Nintendo "gives away" for 20€/year or 4.30€/year if you split the cost with 7 other people

lmao

like, are you completely oblivious to the fact that, worst case scenario, it's 1/3rd of the cost, or are you intentionally avoiding this fact

This is disgustingly condescending. Are you completely oblivious to the fact that Nintendo's online and handling of voice chat is utterly dismal, and it's ridiculous they're charging for this in the first place. They're offering you games that are 30 years old. They could at least provide games from this century.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Free Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Online at present

VS.

Having to pay for online now, but you get to play Balloon Fighter online.

For casual joe, They are getting a pretty bum deal out of it. But I guess that's all the major consoles charging for online now.

The concerning part is the Online Services don't apply for all games, that means some games might be free to play online, but it could also mean certain other games could have other services you need to pay for to get online (EG. Sounds like you still have to pay for Pokebank ontop of this Online Subscription)

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
– Which games require Nintendo Switch Online to access online play?
– Nintendo Switch games such Splatoon™ 2, ARMS™, Mario Kart™ 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis™ Aces, and Sushi Striker™: The Way of Sushido, will require a Nintendo Switch Online membership, but other games will vary

If this ends up meaning most or all 3rd party games don't require online pass to be mandatory. Oh boy...
maybe will be like PS+ where games free to play and online betas/demos don't need PS+ to play online

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can play Rocket League splitscreen on PS4 online on the same console as my gf with one PS+ account. Is this seriously not an option on Switch? I must be misreading this.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
The family plan is ridiculously cheap!
That's a great deal. 20 NES games and more to come sound awesome as well. Cloud saves and online, they've done their homework.
Phone app is not that great though....

Also, they didn't mention Smash Bros.... That's weird...

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. Fuck them. As one of the first propents for this system. They have just about fucked up this whole year so far and don't look to be stopping soon. The save state issue is bullshit as is their online offerings it seems.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you also intentionally ignoring that these 20 games are just the starting ones and that the library will grow

And the wording implies that this is a netflix-style service meaning that if you join when there are 100 games already, you get the 100 games, not just the games of the month when you are joining.

Also, when Nintendo initially spoke about the paid service back when they presented the Switch they said it would include NES and SNES games. So we know for sure that SNES games will come.

So what we know for now is that there are 20 NES games when the service starts, and will grow from there, netflix style. SNES games, at minimum, will be added too. Plus, there's the cloud saves, and the online play itself. And the "special offers".

And you're trying to imply 20€ per year, with the option to split the cost with 7 other people at 35€/year resulting in 4.30€/year is...too much?

You can't be serious.
Maybe 5 years from now when there are decent games on the service we can have a different conversation. By the time Wii U started getting good the system was dead. There's no reason we should expect any different here when they're starting out with fuckin Donkey Kong an Ice Climber. Or are you intentionally ignoring that?

$5 a year is too much for Mario 3 and Zelda and whatever other garbage bin NES games they drag up over the next few months. Maybe if we're lucky they'll add Kirby's Adventure.

Oct 25, 2017
Losing all faith in this new president... he is really starting is tenure off with a major dud.
iFYeSMi.gif

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
He's not President yet until June.

He's not President until June, lol.

He's not even president yet

Wat?

First he probably had little input on this, it has been decided for a while and they even delayed for 1 year.

Second, I see no dud here.

For a data avatar you lack information my friend, he is not the prez yet

This might be one of the most illogical posts I've seen in years.

He's not president so try again.

As far as VC goes, The Wii was miles better.

It was a joke post lol. Of course the new (incoming) pres had nothing to do with this! Glad to do my part in keeping the defense force on their toes though.

And I think for 20 bucks a year, what we are getting is more than reasonable. Still hoping for full VC eventually.

PIkkonX

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, I truly thought Nintendo would build voice chat into the system along with the online service roll out. How wrong I was. The smartphone-only chat has to be one of the dumbest decisions they've ever made. The system is more than powerful enough to pull this off and not tie up a ton of resources.

Edit: Also, no one gives a damn about these NES games that we all own 19 copies of. Hopefully VC is still in the works and an N64 classic....

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know yet.

They don't specifically say that you can't do that, but it'd be insane if they actually let that happen.
All they say is that you can add people to a "family group". It says nothing about having to be in the same console.

if they had to be on the same console, the whole "invite to family group" thing wouldn't even be necessary because...the accounts would be in the same console lol, that's all that would need to be checked. But if creating a group and inviting people is required, then the only reason they would need that is to allow multiple consoles to be used.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the way Sony does it that only one person needs to pay on our primary PS4 and everyone gets online.

Also cloud saves are nice, but if I'm locked to one switch that's total bullshit especially if I'm already paying extra for a family plan.

Let me get an extra switch and pay for the family plan and have all of our shit on both.

Plus I'm still trying to figure out how online is gonna be better than what we have now that's free?

The NES games are rather meh.

Oct 25, 2017
The "some games won't require Nintendo Online" is probably a pretty standard disclaimer. There could be some free weekends to try it out, I believe some f2p titles dont' require PS+ either?

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OMG Nintendo! PUT VOICE CHAT IN THE DEVICE

tenor.gif

and use additional features for the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app that will enhance the online experience for compatible games.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
They're gonna run out of NES games that people care about really fast, so I imagine at the very least SNES, GB, GBC and GBA will come to this service as well.
N64 and GC could as well, or they could just sell those.

I'd love both tbh. Like I'd never pay $5 for NES Soccer, but if I can demo it and have fun with friends, it could probably push me to get it if I ever cancel my sub.

Jan 9, 2018
I feel like I am so out of touch when people are bashing free nes games. I love all of theses games and not having to spend $5-10 a piece on them is a serious blessing imo.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
If this is replacing virtual console, I really hope they keep up a steady stream of games and they bring in N64 and Gamecube.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the rumors of GameCube VC on Switch? Here's the same NES games you've bought ten times already instead lol

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So gather 7 of your friends and each chip in less than $5/year for a family subscription makes the most sense, right?

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a joke post lol. Of course the new (incoming) pres had nothing to do with this! Glad to do my part in keeping the defense force on their toes though.

And I think for 20 bucks a year, what we are getting is more than reasonable. Still hoping for full VC eventually.
i'd rate it 3/100 TRY HARDER next time

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Man that game lineup is pathetic. But completely expected

It's crazy how virtual console regressed from Wii -> Wii U -> Switch

and to think that the Switch literally has the ultimate all in one potential, right in the fucking grasp. They literally could make the ultimate VC, even if they kept it the same as Wii U VC in terms of systems/release schedule, but they fucking stalled and they did jack shit. All this after those rumors hyped everyone up with greatness, too

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's only so many NES games they can expand to. Either SNES and other platforms will be added or they'll be separate.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The complaining about the family plan when it's still literally half the price the competition asks for lmao...

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Naw you gotta stick to that L lol. Not getting away that easy bro lmao

Oct 25, 2017
I never managed to pick up an NES Classic (and rarely get to play my SNES Classic as I just don't park myself in front of a TV that often), so this works out just fine for me in terms of value. Hope we get online-enabled Ice Hockey soon; I'm disappointed it's not there from the start. I object to online subscription models on principle but this is extremely fair value, easily covered by the Gold Point rebates I amass through digital purchases in any given year.

Leaving the subscription requirement optional for third-party developers is likely for the best, too; I can see major publishers all hopping aboard, but indie developers with small install bases can't afford to split their active customers even further if they're building games with online multiplayer features. So that accounts for a major concern. What I see the subscription hurting the most is a small first-party release like Sushi Striker.

I think at this point it's also clear that à la carte VC is unlikely to return in its old form. Too bad for VC software buyers on 3DS and Wii U who were explicitly promised by Reggie that there would be some kind of solution for transferring purchases.

The family pricing model is about what I expected, but I can see it causing a nuisance for people who run alternate accounts for games like Splatoon or use them to work around games with one save slot per user.

I just hope additional services like Pokémon Bank are rolled into this, but I know better than to count on that.

Oct 25, 2017

How do we know you were joking????
Are you willing to take a lie detector test administered by Reggie??

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I don't play many games online, so I'm not sure I'll go for this. Will probably play a lot of Mario Kart this Summer, sell it, then go back to the Wii U version if I want to play online after.