• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is the only 1 of the big 3 not to offer some free way of backing up saves.
It's certainly suspect that their first system incapable of copying saves stored on internal memory to an external device is also when they introduced paid cloud saves.

I can normally find some justification for Nintendo's stranger decisions, but I'm not seeing anything here that isn't just greed.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's a neat lineup of perks for $20 a year.

Is there a special discount perk for subscribers? I hate that shit on PS Plus.

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't that the entire point of this? To pay for dedicated servers?
You know
the price would be pretty dang good actually

... if that was actually paying for a better multiplayer experience.
If they want to copy microsoft, then fully do it: give us dedicated servers, instead of P2P.
People said the same thing when they started charging for PSN online so don't hold your breath you two. Nintendo is charging because they can, no more no less.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Going to assume that online family account wont work between regions, I'm in Australia but MrsBS and I both use US accounts, well we will save USD$5.00 for the two of us at least ;)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
You can only be on one system at a time. Obviously I could keep switching between systems as my main.

That's a pain in the ass, and if two people want to use any digital content at the same time I'm fucked.
Nintendo FAQ said:
If I own multiple Nintendo Switch systems, will I need a separate membership for each one?

No. Nintendo Switch Online can be used on any device by signing in with the Nintendo Account that purchased the membership.
All it takes is for you to log in using your main account on the system you'll be using. Why would you want to be using two systems at once?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm... concerned about that "most" regarding the cloud saves. I'm getting the distinct impression that Game Freak is going to be opting out of that, despite Pokémon being a series where cloud saves would be particularly valuable.

Also those online NES games are basically the opposite of what I want from VC. I'd much prefer to build up a huge digital library of games that I can just play wherever, and this online NES game thing is pretty antithetical to that.

Nov 12, 2017
Lol they barely even have anything major to play online. Like if they had a few more heavy hitters ala Smash I could see them drawing people in. But Splatoon 2 (which I *do* like) and Mario Kart 8? Cmon now. I certainly won't be investing into this unless they give me a *really* good reason to.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if you're being serious or not but can we please shut that "leak" down before people start getting stupid about it.

Nintendo said early may, last week was Golden Week in Japan so it was never going to be then. May 7th was a likely date that many could have guessed.

Voice chat is not done through a service like Discord but instead through the existing app = WRONG
Exclusive Eshop discounts = previously stated
monthly retro games = previously stated
Nintendo ditching VC and instead calling it Nintendo Classics = WRONG
Launching with pay to own NES and GBA games in August = WRONG
Same with SNES and N64 = WRONG

so based on what we know he actually got the majority wrong, guessed one thing that many could have guessed and gave info that we already knew.

Now maybe this leak is correct but right now there is nothing pointing to it being true so I ask everybody can we please not act as if this is confirmed or that the leak is now credible. It still isn't, please "fake news" in gaming is becoming rampant and is very frustrating.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Once again people need to be reminded of the price. $20 a year for cloud saves, discounts and other offers, classic games with added online (we don't know if it does extend beyond the NES in time. I bet it does.), and access to online gaming (which can't be fought against) is a good deal. Would more communication options be good? Yes. Certainly. I hope they come but let's be honest here. How many people mute randoms right away? How many use discord regardless of what is offered on the PS4 and XBO while still paying the monthly/yearly fees? I find some of the outrage on this front to be over the top in the end by some. I'm not saying like the current situation or don't be upset. I do think some need to get off their high horses and stop acting like this is the worse thing ever or stop acting like they're personally offended.

I think the delay was largely to make sure there was a much list of games when this service goes live and games people have been enjoying and want to continue to play. I fully expect third parties will be included on this in the end. Nintendo has a bad habit of not detailing things fully and only when people start messing around with things does the full scope come out or if they do a video. I expect something like that at E3 to be honest.

Last edited:

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I really don't think that the Classic Mini consoles and traditional VC are really competing for the same dollars. I am not tempted at all to get a Classic Mini (seems like a pain in the ass, and I am too young to be nostalgic for NES or SNES). I would however pour hundreds of dollars into a robust virtual console.... the thought of having Nintendo's classic library all in one place (and on a sizable HD handheld no less) truly is the dream.

This. They cant kill VC.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Two things I was hoping for the most aren't in :_: (system wide messaging and party invite).

The family plan is a great deal for a group of people though.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol they barely even have anything major to play online. Like if they had a few more heavy hitters ala Smash I could see them drawing people in. But Splatoon 2 (which I *do* like) and Mario Kart 8? Cmon now. I certainly won't be investing into this unless they give me a *really* good reason to.

That's why it's 20 bucks. They couldn't charge $60 for this.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
This service is totally uninteresting but I guess I'll be subscribing as an insurance policy for my data since Nintendo won't allow physical backups.

20 NES games does absolutely nothing for me and just makes me more certain that we're never going to see a proper VC on Switch.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There is, yeah. But of what kind, there's no info yet.
giphy.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the Classic Mini SNES have all the SNES games from Wii or Wii U? It's like people don't even know what they're saying when they say the Classic systems killed virtual console.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Q: Which games require Nintendo Switch Online to access online play?
A: Nintendo Switch games such Splatoon™ 2, ARMS™, Mario Kart™ 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis™ Aces, and Sushi Striker™: The Way of Sushido, will require a Nintendo Switch Online membership, but other games will vary.

I wonder if that means third parties can decide whether they have to put their online behind a paywall?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Family plan sounds too good to be true. I can only imagine that they'll limit the number of Switches you can use it on. At the very least the primary account holder will need to log in on all of them.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
People knew this was comming, why are some acted as if it came out of knowhere with a backstab included?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm... concerned about that "most" regarding the cloud saves. I'm getting the distinct impression that Game Freak is going to be opting out of that, despite Pokémon being a series where cloud saves would be particularly valuable.

Also those online NES games are basically the opposite of what I want from VC. I'd much prefer to build up a huge digital library of games that I can just play wherever, and this online NES game thing is pretty antithetical to that.

Well in a perfect world if this online sub transfers forward and titles are never pulled, eventually this could be the ultimate netflix style $20 to get access to a large chunk of the nes, snes, gb, gbc, gba, etc libraries.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Being disappointed you/re not getting things past the NES library at launch is fair, but saying people (especially outside this forum) aren't excited about "free" classic games at launch for a cheap price is basically market ignorance.
Free? What free games? Last I checked the NES games were part of the subscription. How much do you think an online enabled NES game is worth?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised VC demand is even that high. Seems like everyone has the entire NES / SNES catalogue as rom dumps on 10 different devices.