• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
– Which games require Nintendo Switch Online to access online play?
– Nintendo Switch games such Splatoon™ 2, ARMS™, Mario Kart™ 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis™ Aces, and Sushi Striker™: The Way of Sushido, will require a Nintendo Switch Online membership, but other games will vary

If this ends up meaning most or all 3rd party games don't require online pass to be mandatory. Oh boy...

They're probably talking about Fortnite ;)

Battlehenkie

Mar 7, 2018
Still doubling down on the shitty smartphone app, going to be a serious detractor to online services once people realise how unintuitive and unwieldy it is. Eurgh, Nintendo.. for how much you get games and hardware right you continue to get everything else wrong.

Call me the everlasting skeptic too, but I think Cloud Saves are announced because of public criticism and flak. I'm half expecting it not to be included at launch fully or receive a sub-par implementation.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was going to buy this anyway to keep playing Splatoon, but it's not an exciting package. Don't care about playing NES games.

Oct 25, 2017
The "new online feature" of OG Zelda is to let someone else takeover and play your file for you while you talk to them on your phone? What in the ever-loving hell is exciting about that? That sounds like the most miserable way possible to play a single-player Zelda game.

I had reasonable expectations for this, and I'm still let down. Cloud saves are dandy (though only for peace of mind - I've never once in my life ever actually had a legitimate use-case for them across any modern platform), but this first outing of classic content is absolutely pathetic.

I'd much rather just pay standard VC pricing for these games without these online downgrades tacked on as "features" and be able to buy things from beyond the NES era.

But hey, since I'm addicted to Splatoon they already have my $20. Though hopefully before I pay up again for year two I can play enough Ice Climbers to realize that life isn't worth living anymore.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My hope is they produce SNES and more for the service and create a Netflix like service for VC essentially. Maybe that's what they plan to do.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Eh, not that bad I guess, but we'll see what they keep adding in terms of old games. I guess we'll find out more later. And honestly whoever expecting anything else beyond leaderboards as "online modes" for the old games were deluding themselves.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping at least SNES games were also going be to ready by launch. (Who knows, maybe they will be or we get news

Wait and see for me. I don't play online anyways, but was intrigued by what the VC would be like. Nothing of value for me at the moment.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"20 NES games on launch with regular updates"

"Guys they're not only going to have just 20 NES games are they"

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who will be doing the emulation for the NES games. I hope it's the same people behind the NES Classic.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still find it crazy that it seems like they will be offering these "classic" games along with this service yet won't be offering them to be bought ala cart on the eshop. There's no way they actually do that right?

They still haven't released some of the 3DS VC Ambassador games. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Oct 27, 2017
8 accounts for 35 is really good. Wish there was more to the classic games.

Oh wellmaybe we will still get Virtual,... never mind

English PR says "some" games will allow backups. Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Having online for NES single player games is a great start for Nintendo, and I can't wait for them to expand it to their SNES and N64 Library.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
So uh... Do I get to keep those NES games or are they available for a timed window? Can I just buy them if I don't want to jump through subscription hoops?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The "new online feature" of OG Zelda is to let someone else takeover and play your file for you while you talk to them on your phone? What in the ever-loving hell is exciting about that? That sounds like the most miserable way possible to play a single-player Zelda game.
What are you even talking about, where was this said?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
– Which games require Nintendo Switch Online to access online play?
– Nintendo Switch games such Splatoon™ 2, ARMS™, Mario Kart™ 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis™ Aces, and Sushi Striker™: The Way of Sushido, will require a Nintendo Switch Online membership, but other games will vary

If this ends up meaning most or all 3rd party games don't require online pass to be mandatory. Oh boy...
I'd imagine that this leaves room for Game Freak & The Pokémon Company to bypass this service if they want to for Pokémon Switch. Same for third parties, as you mentioned.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so it isn't like PS4 where it applies to all users on that console?

Wow. That's dumb. And a little anti-consumer since it's been a standard feature since 360 where one sub is required per console.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
Locking cloud saves behind a paywall is not cool. Getting some old NES games is not cool. I have no interest in playing NES games ever again. They should have started at N64 and up at least. Don't want to pay to basically rent cloud saves on principle.

Jan 9, 2018
Crazy how people are saying this isn't a good value they actually don't owe us anything they could totally charge for online and we get nothing. Games with gold and ps plus has ruined game value.

Oct 27, 2017
Still a big shame they're sticking to the app. It would've been fine as an option for those who can't/didn't want to use headsets but they really should allow voice chat through the console itself too. I mean, we know it can do it.

I'm fine with them sticking with the app. I just want a way to easily chat through the console itself. If we can simply plug in a headset and hear both the chat and game audio, while the app works as simply a remote, then I'd be fine with it.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

I had reasonable expectations for this, and I'm still let down. Cloud saves are dandy (though only for peace of mind - I've never once in my life ever actually had a legitimate use-case for them across any modern platform), but this first outing of classic content is absolutely pathetic.

I'd much rather just pay standard VC pricing for these games without these online downgrades tacked on as "features" and be able to buy things from beyond the NES era.

But hey, since I'm addicted to Splatoon they already have my $20. Though hopefully before I pay up again for year two I can play enough Ice Climbers to realize that life isn't worth living anymore.
They used Zelda as an example since it's the highest profile single player only game there; they're essentially explaining that you can swap who's 1P and 2P on the fly. It's... there, I guess. I could see streamers using it to take turns without meeting up in person, but other than that idk.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Again: Why on earth are any of you using PSN or Xbox Live over Discord anyway?

There is never a good reason to use the systems local voice chat over Discord.

I'm really dumb about this stuff so please forgive my dumb.

How am I supposed to get game audio and chat audio on the same headset if I'm using Discord and playing on my PS4? Are there discord apps on the consoles that I'm unaware of?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Who knew Nintendo would would do something forward thinking in terms of online subscriptions.

The family plan is a good deal.

I suspect Nintendo would do something like this because they've been resisting it for so long.

Their value proposition was that their online games were free. They probably felt they had to do something that was clearly different if they are going to start charging for it.