TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
It's inevitable that the switch surpasses the ps2 c'mon. The switch won't disappear immediately after switch 2 is out, which may not be out until fall 2025 anyway.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
At this point the Switch reached a number of consoles sold that it makes it a "titanic" in the sense that even with the switch 2 out in a 9 months it should cross with inertia the 160 million mark and become the best console sold ever.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.61M (+330K)
Pikmin 4 - 3.48M (+510K)

Using TotK as a benchmark, this looks really strong for Pikmin 4. I hope it continues selling well and paving the way for Pikmin 5.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my traditional Pokémon sales chart

Some 3DS games had some updated numbers too!

GM9NWa5XkAEhR_W

Also comparison of Pokémon's 6th quarter sales for new generations

SV: 560k
SWSH: 750k
SM: 50k
XY: 150k

SV has slipped a bit behind but SWSH was in the big Switch COVID boom
Unless Z-A ends up being holiday 2025 I don't think SV is going to catch up, but who knows, it is rather close.
I do have to wonder if it would have passed SwSh by now, even if only by a small amount, if not for the technical problems.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.61M (+330K)
Pikmin 4 - 3.48M (+510K)

Using TotK as a benchmark, this looks really strong for Pikmin 4. I hope it continues selling well and paving the way for Pikmin 5.
It's a typo, Pikmin should be +150K. There's still going to be another Pikmin, it's the best selling game in the franchise.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
PS2 seems to be toast even if they fall short on their sales numbers. 12 million 2024 - 5 million 2025 - 2 million 2026 is enough. If they release a new cheap model or pricecut the lite aggressively and do make their forecasted 13.5 number in 2024, they'll likely end in 2026 at around 164-165 million with similar dropoff numbers.

They sold something like ~14 million 3DS units after the switch was released.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
If I'm reading this right, the 100 year old Switch eclipsed their 15.5 million forecast for the fiscal year and expect it to be at 155 million by the end of March 2025.

At this rate the Switch will eclipse 160 million sometime in FY26

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
PS2 seems to be toast even if they fall short on their sales numbers. 12 million 2024 - 5 million 2025 - 2 million 2026 is enough. If they release a new cheap model or pricecut the lite aggressively and do make their forecasted 13.5 number in 2024, they'll likely end in 2026 at around 164-165 million with similar dropoff numbers.

They sold something like ~14 million 3DS units after the switch was released.

oh they're forecasting 13.5m?

okay. switch 2 is march 2025. if they hit 154m at the end of the fiscal year, they're gonna cross 160m over lifetime.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
oh they're forecasting 13.5m?

okay. switch 2 is march 2025. if they hit 154m at the end of the fiscal year, they're gonna cross 160m over lifetime.
They are and forecasting 13.5 seems like a lot. As they also forecast less profit in software, these sales won't come from big first party releases. So it's either through a serious pricedrop on the lite, or a new cheap model while they phase out the lite as it's the lowest selling form factor. Either way, no switch 2 before march is kind of confirmed now, with a realistic possibility of Q2-Q4 2025.

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020
I'm not actually convinced Mario Kart 8 will completely stop selling even after the next one comes out.
Also, the potential elevation of Kirby to 10 million+ status next generation actually being possible is a sight to behold

Finally, they have to have a ton of room to price drop the Switch at this point - the manufacturing cost has to be somewhere beneath hell at this point. You could still see the system selling well for years as a budget system with a huge library of acclaimed titles - if Nintendo keeps manufacturing the system, I see it passing the PS2 as an inevitability, honestly.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
13.68m for the NDS
About 19m for the PS2.
Thanks! Looks like they expect to beat the NDS then this fiscal year. I suppose the PS2 will be beaten during 2025 and 2026 if they are still selling it during those year, but I find it difficult to beat PS2 for now. Who knows, I didn't expect the Switch to sell all these numbers, so I guess there is still room for surprises, haha

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Looks like they expect to beat the NDS then this fiscal year. I suppose the PS2 will be beaten during 2025 and 2026 if they are still selling it during those year, but I find it difficult to beat PS2 for now. Who knows, I didn't expect the Switch to sell all these numbers, so I guess there is still room for surprises, haha

The 3DS sold an additional 13M units after Switch launched just as a point of comparison.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Unless Z-A ends up being holiday 2025 I don't think SV is going to catch up, but who knows, it is rather close.
I do have to wonder if it would have passed SwSh by now, even if only by a small amount, if not for the technical problems.
Look at it this way

At this point, SWSH was at 21.1m.

When BDSP came out, SWSH was at 22m. When Legends came out it was at 23.9m

It went on to sell 5 million more from the equivalent point that SV is at. I think it will catch up easily. It only has 1.4 million to go

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Look at it this way

At this point, SWSH was at 21.1m.

When BDSP came out, SWSH was at 22m. When Legends came out it was at 23.9m

It went on to sell 5 million more from the equivalent point that SV is at. I think it will catch up easily. It only has 1.4 million to go
I'm just saying since the legs are starting to fall behind and who knows if Switch 2 and Z-A hurt its legs even more or not. I acknowledged that it's close, but I guess I'm a bit pessimistic about its legs from this point on is all.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm just saying since the legs are starting to fall behind and who knows if Switch 2 and Z-A hurt its legs even more or not. I acknowledged that it's close, but I guess I'm a bit pessimistic about its legs from this point on is all.
I see no reason to be that pessimistic. It still has great legs, better than any Pokémon game other than SWSH which had the big COVID boost

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So Tears of the Kingdom isn't hitting 30 mil then.

Also Mario Wonder sales have to be disappointing, right? It'll take a while to clear 20 mill and isn't catching Odyssey.

Software still doing really well, but it's clear the successor is needed.

I wonder if it gets a rerelease for Switch2 to give it a second wind.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Man, kinda crazy how substantial the turnaround was. Going from one of the most infamous duds in the industry - one for which I was a happy customer even - to active contention for top of the stack

Leave luck to heaven, indeed

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice, so they also project 155M for the year, they can easily ship 5M for the few years after that, too.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think Peach's sales are only for its first week or so? If that's the case it's mighty impressive. Curious to see its numbers with the next quarter report.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Hoping for a price drop so I can buy a OLED to coast on until the 2. Crazy this thing is still full price 8 years in.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
The 3DS sold an additional 13M units after Switch launched just as a point of comparison.

Not really an apples to apples comparison since the Switch successor will be backwards compatible, so there's less of an incentive to buy the previous system.
3DS still got platform exclusive titles for years after the Switch release.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Not really an apples to apples comparison since the Switch successor will be backwards compatible, so there's less of an incentive to buy the previous system.
3DS still got platform exclusive titles for years after the Switch release.

ds sold 7.6 million after the 3ds launched.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reaching 155 million by the end of this FY seems a pretty ambitious result with where hardware has been heading as of late and with the confirmation now that new hardware is en route soon. They'll have to gear up at least one more heavy hitter and start cutting some prices as well.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Remember when folks thought it will never surpass he ps2? It's basically guaranteed at this point.

kdawg954

Oct 29, 2017
Reaching 155 million by the end of this FY seems a pretty ambitious result with where hardware has been heading as of late and with the confirmation now that new hardware is en route soon. They'll have to gear up at least one more heavy hitter and start cutting some prices as well.

Yea a HW price cut, HW bundle(s) and a Nintendo Selects type of software cut will certainly go a long way.

What they have accomplished without any of that (except during the holidays with bundles) is pretty damn incredible.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A free take for those who won't read the full stuff and forecasts. Nintendo expects the switch to be at 155 million sold by March 2025. Pretty much guarantees the PS2's spot as #1 is time limited from now until the inevitable switch passing, so take your pick on if it's 2-3 years from now.

Note this isn't too shocking. Even with the PS2s public number update to 160 million from a previous Sony person. This was expected as being on the horizon at least as far back as two years ago.
Let's figure worse case and they miss this years estimates and sell 12 million instead of 13.5 million this quarter that would put them at 153 million, so they would need to sell another 7 million after switch 2 releases

If they cut the price of switch 1 in half at some point this year it might be possible

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So 155M by next March if they don't meet their forecast, but since when they havn't (by a fair margin). Then it won't stop selling overnight (they can still pull a Nintendo here, by stopping production, but I don't see that coming in 2025, maybe 2026).

All hail to the new future Queen!
They always said it was a 10 year console they will probably stop production in 2027

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I wonder if the switch outsells the PS2, if it will hold the record as long as the PS2 did. With Microsoft tiptoeing out of the console race, it will give Sony and Nintendo a boost

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Fully expect a lot of Nintendo's games going forward to be cross-gen and possibly a Switch at $99.

There's no reason for them to abandon this install base- especially for titles like Mario Sports, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, etc. Most of Nintend's titles play great and look fine at 900p/30fps.

They don't need 4K/60 with frame gen and RT.

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
If they want a last boost in Switch sales to get it over PS2 they know what to do, release the god damn Twilight Princess HD + Windwaker HD bundle.