• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo-Switch-GPD-Win.jpg

GPD Win is a handheld windows PC if you don't know.

What's a better investment?. GPD Win has a wider library of games(because Steam) and supports emulation, but it doesn't have the Nintendo first-party games. Switch has quite a few of the big indies but not all of them.

EDIT: If I were to get a GPD Win I'd use it for indies/emulation and anything AAA I'd use a PS4.

Last edited:

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
Switch. My GPD is collecting dust.

GPD may offer all those features but the EXPERIENCE is what makes the Switch great.

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread never ends well.

I like my GPD though. It allows me for light programming and gaming in the go. Controller isn't great but it's all about compromise. I needed x86 so that swayed my decision.

Feb 10, 2018
GPD does look very cool, but isnt it like double the price of a switch.
Plus your getting Nintendo Exclusives and 2 controllers.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if games is what's most important then GPD is the obvious answer. I don't have one but only because portables mean nothing to me and I have my PC at home, but if I did value portability I'd go with the system that has far more interesting games.

Feb 10, 2018

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I have a PC, so I want a Switch and not another PC. Don't get me wrong, I've always been more of a handheld fan, but the GPD is way too expensive for me to buy instead of a platform that gives me access to a different game ecosystem.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
That's a great question to google. I bet you find your answer within 2 minutes.

Thanks for the help. I figured since you had one, you would know. -_-

Yes i just thought that I was thinking of the gpd win 2 when typing my pist, im sure I saw it on gearbest for like $599

Off the top of my head the gpd wind 1 can play 360 games and the win 2 can play most current gen games on low settings.

Ah, but if the Win 2 plays at low settings, would that give it respectable FPS for those titles?

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
This is a very good question and one that I contemplate all the time. I own neither but always consider getting one or the other. The Switch's library is getting better and better as time goes on, but with the GPDWin2 coming out and it being able to run emulators at faster full speed I think I'm going with that instead. After all, I'm a retro gamer and the thought of having so many arcade games on the go via MAME is too tempting to pass up. Oh and steam indie games/jrpgs too? Yeah, sign me up.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Unless you want to play (new) Nintendo first parties, GPD win all the way. Can easily play all Nintendo back catalogue up to Nintendo 64/Nintendo Ds, probably all of Sega's and at least PS1/PSP. Not to mention PC games.

Nov 1, 2017
Easily the Switch for me. I cancelled my initial preorder for a Switch and bought a GPD Win, buying into the hype on GAF. While compatibility is certainly an issue with some games my biggest problem has always been heat, even with the fan on the highest setting.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I have both a Switch and a GPD Win, but I use the GPD Win more.
Since I can play most of the same games I have on my desktop PC just at 720p, I usually stick with my GPD win since I can just move over the save files to my desktop PC.

I would say the portable experience is better on the Switch, but having a GPD Win allows me to continue my desktop PC gaming on the go.
And obviously the desktop PC gaming experience outweighs what the Switch can do in docked mode.

Last edited:

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The GPD Win has an obvious library advantage, but no Nintendo exclusives obviously. However, the experience is much more polished in the NSW, to the point that I'm willing to re-buy games that I already own on Steam and run fine on the GPD Win.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
emulators is something that I 100% need, but since the switch is getting homebrew access, I might go for the switch instead and enjoy playing the classic library on the go.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
This is correct, so avoid the one it's on as XB2 is atrocious. There's a much better selection of jrpgs on Steam although I'm unsure if there's any compatibility issues with GPD.
There are some. Specially if you are not willing to go into Low Spec gaming tweaking guides. Some games like Fall Out 3 can run oka-ish while games you expect to run fine, like Fortune Summoners, are unplayable.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
emulators is something that I 100% need, but since the switch is getting homebrew access, I might go for the switch instead and enjoy playing the classic library on the go.

Homebrew won't run on newly retail bought Switch's. Homebrew currently only runs on a Switch on v3.0 which is from last Summer. There are no plans at the moment to release homebrew on the latest Switch OS version.

Even Pokken Tournament cartridges have been reissued at retail so that the cartridge installs v4.0 on the Switch instead of v3.0.

And, a Switch on v3.0 can't connect to the eShop and be played online.

So, for now, you'd have to get your hands on a never updated Switch that was bought between March and September 2017.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm all you people calling it a GPD is like calling the Switch a Nintendo or the PS4 a Sony.
Yeah its the name of the company but it ain't the name of the device.

Anyhow it depends really based on how big your pc library is, how willing you are to tweak games and how long you plan on using the device.
Because don't get me wrong, the Win is a great device but its a first gen palmtop gaming pc made by a small Chinese company who had only made android devices before and it is full of flaws from minor things like a very meh mono speaker all the way up to major things like how the cooling system was a last second addition that is woefully inadequate and the battery sits against the (hot) motherboard and sits saturated in heat that has a long term effect on battery life and leads to battery failures.

Because of its flaws GPD will discontinue production of the Win once Win2 production starts.

I have the Win2 and its amazing, fixed all the flaws the Win had and packs plenty of power with people doing some amazing things with CEMU and Wii U emulation on pre production test units but at this point its $650 and that'd buy you a switch along with a bunch of games and it won't even be out for a couple months.

If you want something that will last for years I'd go for a Switch since the Win2 may be a whole different beast but as much as I love my Win and played the crap out of it before I got my Win2 test unit I can't see the Win lasting more than a couple years before issues pop up, assuming its battery lasts that long .

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Homebrew won't run on newly retail bought Switch's. Homebrew currently only runs on a Switch on v3.0 which is from last Summer. There are no plans at the moment to release homebrew on the latest Switch OS version.

Even Pokken Tournament cartridges have been reissued at retail so that the cartridge installs v4.0 on the Switch instead of v3.0.

And, a Switch on v3.0 can't connect to the eShop and be played online.

So, for now, you'd have to get your hands on a never updated Switch that was bought between March and September 2017.

What matters more is that it's going to start serious development on emulators very early so they would become viable and operational by the time homebrew access would be easier to get into.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Both GPD are expensive and they struggle with even the most good ports like Vanquish or Bayonetta.

7th gen games usualy run worse about the same as they did last gen.

I mean the GPD Win 2 is 700$ and it can't even run something like Bayo at 60 fps? Yeah...

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I got one of the test units of the GPD Win 2 like MJPIA and The Phawx here.

Short version: If you want a 'console like' experience you are definitely better off getting a Switch even at the cost of a smaller games library or paying $60 for games. The GPD Win 2 is a system/console that is theoretically at odds with technology and costs. You really should only get it if you are adamant about playing Steam games on the go.

lz48Elk.jpg

Long version:

GPD Win 2

The good -
  • The ability to play Steam games
  • A great Visual Novel (and metroidvania) system (perhaps the best)
  • The ability to vary your TDP with Intel XTU allowing the user to trade battery life and heat for more performance. Works well to get extra FPS in some games to make them playable.
  • A really great keyboard and sticks and buttons.
  • Pretty good (loud) speakers
The 'not so' good -
  • Its $650 right now on IGG (retail to be higher). This is why systems like this don't get made. It is just too expensive in terms of costs of parts inside for it to be competitive to something like a Switch or 3DS/Vita. It's not that GPD are pricing it with huge profit margins. It's that the parts themselves are expensive - the Intel Core m3 alone retails for about $281, even if GPD were able to get it for around half the price it would still be $140 for a single component. Add in all the other parts and you're looking at, at least $300-350 for parts alone, then the manufacturing, the accessories, the design, the marketing all add up to at least $450-500 for the machine which is precisely the cost for a test system.
  • At $650 vs $300 for a switch, you could have 7 $50 games on the Switch already. You would have to buy quite a number of games before the costs for both systems evened up.
  • Although the Win 2 has 2-3x the graphics power of the Win (which was already better than a Vita), it doesn't mean all your games will run on the system. This could be due to a bad port like FFX-2 which does not support integrated graphics (crashed 3 times out of nowhere for me before I made it to a save point). In that case, I believe GPD Win 2 users will have to rely on the community to set up a database of sorts to see what works on the system and what the best settings are.
  • If you don't like 'tweaking' games, then the Win 2 is NOT for you. Using a lower powered mobile chip like a m3 processor needs settings to be finetuned. Even something as simple as choosing full screen or windowed can have a performance effect. Some games have settings outside the game so you'll be going in and out of games a lot.
  • The Win 2 gets warm in your hands ( I won't say hot, it varies), but expect similar temps to say your iphone/ipad and much higher than Vita/3DS. At first it was close to too warm (almost uncomfortable?) but I def got used to it after the first couple of hours.
  • You'll be on your own regarding purchases. There's only about 4000 units sold, if you buy a game and it doesn't work, it will probably be difficult to get it working on your own. Its not like a Nintendo/Sony system where you'll get an official patch or other people who bought the same game.
  • You may find you're under powered for some newer release games, especially open world games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, Assassin's Creed Origins, which barely run at 12-15fps. And you may find older games may not support the system for whatever reason (CPU/GPU, Windows, resolution incompatiability etc.).

I have obviously written a lot more about the 'not so' good points, I think they are more warnings rather than 'bad' points. I think some people may look at this as a portable in the vein of a 3DS/Vita/Switch but it requires more effort on the user at least in the 5 hours I had with the system (my SSD died and I've contacted them to get a new one, the problem has been solved for IGG backers, which was previous SSDs failed an anti static test). It also takes way more effort tweaking than a standard desktop PC with a mid tier graphics card.

Btw here are some games I ran in the 5 hours with the system to give people an idea of performance.

All 7w unless noted otherwise.
  • Skyrim - runs great. 720p 40-60fps low settings.
  • F1 2012 - runs great 720p 30fps. Runs 38fps at 9w.
  • NfS Hot pursuit. - runs fine 720p 30fps with dips, can get to 40fps without shadows but still dips. Not as smooth as F12012.
  • Doki doki lit club - no tweaks needed.
  • Binary Domain - 720p 30fps but did not get far enough into the game to be meaningful. Config file is a pain in the bum.
  • FFX-2 - crashes constantly does not support integrated graphics.
  • Steamworld dig - runs great. 720p 60fps Hollow knight - runs great but 720p 30-60fps.
  • Ys Origins - runs fine 720p 60fps but has constant screen tearing even with vsync on.
  • EU IV - windowed mode increases performance fps varies wildly up to 60fps but generally playable. (may be different performance wise late game). Full screen =20fps and unplayable.

Thats all i remember testing in about 5 hrs time with the win 2.

Also EUIV UI text is extremely small. But its also small on the desktop.