Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That's unfortunate for sure. It's not like it's particularly hard to get a working bootleg SMB1 on just about any damn modern platform anyway. Definitely feels like unnecessary overreach. Hell I would say that the SMB1 data ought to be public domain by now even if Mario-the-character himself probably shouldn't be.

Unagi says: Nintendo pirates are damn tasty
-
48897.jpg

Feb 10, 2018
Good, I share the opinion of Nintendo employees that anyone who wants to play Nintendo software has to play it on official Nintendo hardware.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is the equivalent of someone making an impressive version of a famous piece of art with crayons or an etch-a-sketch to show off your technical prowess using a less advanced tool or medium. That is hardly unheard of, and it's hard to see it as anything but a tribute to the original. It's hardly a rip off or a case of plagiarism.

Leaving the law aside for a moment, nothing here hurts Nintendo. It's their right to take this stance. It's also the right of everyone else to judge them for it.

Not really since in this case they're using an IP that doesn't belong to them. Which isn't the same as recreating the statue of David in macaroni or something.

And again, it's fine if they did this to show off and learned. However, the moment they let their work open to the public and didn't asked the original IP owner permission to do so, which is Nintendo in this case, it becomes bad form. It isn't about 'hurting' Nintendo, you don't take other people's work without asking, in this case they took an IP that they didn't own. If I was in a similar position, I would put a C&D letter too and won't care how much work you put into it.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Did the guy release the build? Then the Streisand effect alone will be enough to preserve it, like it happened with SoRR.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Did anyone expect anything else? It's a shame Nintendo aren't as open to this as other companies but if you use someone else's IP then there's always a take down risk.

I agree ^ While it would make me view Nintendo more positively to be a little more...laid back and look at fan-created content in an objective light to see if it really damages the brand/lowers sales etc. I feel like they just see their IP being used and, without looking further, submit a claim - which, they have full right to do. So I'm not gonna say Nintendo sucks or bag on them, it is their IP and they have every legal right to do so. But it would be nice for them to be more open.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It's like the end of Mafia 1—you think you're safe and forgotten years later.

"Mr. Miyamoto sends his regards"

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why is sega/sonic even being brought up in this thread? They are so irrelevant today it isn't even funny. They probably like this stuff, because it's the only way for them to get any attention.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I rather be a Nintendo stan then a Nintendo enemy.

Why be either? Why not just try to have an opinion that is positive or critical depending on how you happen to percieve the specific circumstance being discussed? I have a lot of admiration for Nintendo. That doesn't mean I can't be critical towards them as well.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that this probably gave more attention to the project than anything else could 🤷‍♂️

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Not really since in this case they're using an IP that doesn't belong to them. Which isn't the same as recreating the statue of David in macaroni or something.

And again, it's fine if they did this to show off and learned. However, the moment they let their work open to the public and didn't asked the original IP owner permission to do so, which is Nintendo in this case, it becomes bad form. It isn't about 'hurting' Nintendo, you don't take other people's work without asking, in this case they took an IP that they didn't own. If I was in a similar position, I would put a C&D letter too and won't care how much work you put into it.

Do you have the same stance regarding amateur musicians uploading covers to youtube? Or fan fiction writers? If he charged money, then fine, but he didn't.

Besides, as has been mentioned in this thread already, the restrictive nature of copyright is an abomination that is honestly hurting art more than helping it. The original Mario should be public domain by now. Without retellings and reinterpretations of prior works we would have no Homer or Grimm brothers, and ironically the current draconian ip laws are mostly because of a company that got rich off of retelling fairy tales from the public domain in the first place.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know shit about ip law but i was always under the impression that they legally have to do stuff like this

at least they were decent enough to give him enough time to put it up on the internet so it's not actually gone

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Scumbag move, as usual for Nintendo.
This only makes me hate copyright laws even more. Although I'd probably sing a different tune if I owned copyright myself.

Sep 28, 2018
Why is sega/sonic even being brought up in this thread? They are so irrelevant today it isn't even funny. They probably like this stuff, because it's the only way for them to get any attention.

Woof, someones upset.

This last year SEGA reached number 2 on overall Metacritic, just bested by Capcom.
"Sega landed in our top 3 publishers on Metacritic for the third time in four years (with the exception coming in a year when Sega failed to release enough games to qualify for our "major" publishers group). That's especially impressive given that Sega released more distinct titles than all but one other publisher in 2018."

Nintendo placed 4th... ;)

Source: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2018-releases?ref=hp

And in case 'metacritic doesn't count' it probably counts more than a hissyfit on Reset era ;)

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

oh my god everyone we can close the thread we finally found the last person remaining hyped about nintendo switch online NES games

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish Canada would step up and push some sane public domain laws on older games and software like this. We could probably get away with it, and help get the ball rolling for change south of the border.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
They wouldn't like it if it caused them to lose the Sonic IP as the defence for Nintendo claims would happen to Mario if they didn't defend this stuff.

Sonic is just one example anyway, the fact remains that publishers are not losing any IP just from allowing fangames to exist.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Do you have the same stance regarding amateur musicians uploading covers to youtube? Or fan fiction writers? If he charged money, then fine, but he didn't.

Besides, as has been mentioned in this thread already, the restrictive nature of copyright is an abomination that is honestly hurting art more than helping it. The original Mario should be public domain by now. Without retellings and reinterpretations of prior works we would have no Homer or Grimm brothers, and ironically the current draconian ip laws are mostly because of a company that got rich off of retelling fairy tales from the public domain in the first place.

Fan fiction writers still own their words and even then, there are some authors who are against fanfictions and thus some sites don't host fan fics of them like the author of A Song of Ice and Fire.. Fanfiction.net, the biggest fanfic site on the internet, don't host any fanfiction from A Song of Ice and Fire out of respect towards the author. As for amateur musicians, most of them upload music that a free domain from right owners that are long dead and can't be asked permission and others used sheet music being that can be legally bought, so not the same thing either. And even then, there videos that are taking down from Youtube if the right owner complained.

My point isn't about the law. The point is that you don't take something without permission from the original IP owner, if that owner is still alive or the rights is held by a company or an estate. If the work is your own with inspiration of the original work, that isn't the same as taking Super Mario Brothers (a game owned by Nintendo) and ported it over to a system without Nintendo's permission unless the work was meant only for your own amusement or study and you never planned to make it public. Which is why I said 'bad form' over anything legal.

It doesn't matter if he charged money or not, he doesn't own the IP and thus had no right to put his work in the public domain without at least asking.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Scumbag move, as usual for Nintendo.
This only makes me hate copyright laws even more. Although I'd probably sing a different tune if I owned copyright myself.

Most people do. Copyright laws are the devil, until you have something you want to copyright. It isn't fun having people take your work, regardless if they make money off of it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA still does what Nintendon't I see.
So, if the trend holds:
  • Some years from now, Nintendo will announce a new policy tolerating fangames
  • They will implement it slightly better than SEGA, causing everyone to forget that they did it first
  • People will cry "ripoff" when Sony follows shortly thereafter

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
The idea that keeps getting spouted that IP holders MUST defend their rights is not only ridiculous in the details, it makes zero sense in practice. How do people think ownership works? Like would I suddenly free Mario for the masses if I just sit on my copyright infringing work just long enough to trigger the PUBLIC DOMAIN FREEDOM GONG? Is Nintendo going to lose rights to sell and market Zelda if I parade my Midna T-shirt business in front of their headquarters enough days?

No. Obviously not.

Nintendo can choose to enforce what it wants to. That is its right as the IP holder. It is ENTITLED to do so. It is theoretically possible to lose a trademark (not the actual IP rights, mind you) if you show that you completely do not care about utilizing the property and you are basically just squatting on it so other people can't. That's not only a hard bar to prove, it's also not something that happens after one project. In fact, I bet (and this is speculation, since I have not tried to find case law for this) if Nintendo were to notice the fan project and give their approval to it, I fully expect that they would even be able to consider THAT protecting their license. They vetted and approved a project using the license that they control. Done. Wins all around.

That's not what happened, and it is unfortunate (especially for this case, where there's no benefit to preventing this). I think the worst part in this situation is that even if the dude had asked Nintendo for permission, they would never have approved the project. So, for someone passionate about this project, this is really the only realistic path that could have been taken that resulted in this seeing the light of day at all. Silly.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I might be wrong on this, but isn't Nintendo obliged to act upon any form of copyright infringement once they know if its existence - if not they could lose the rights on the 8-bit mario look, which is still used commercially in different forms (images/tshirts/mugs/super mario maker 2, ...)

You can't lose copyright. It will always last for 100 years in most countries after the work is created. Copyright applies to complex creations like books, paintings, photography, games and movies.

You can lose trademark if you don't defend them. Under law you don't own your trademarks. You own the sole right to use them. Trademark applies to less complex creations like logos, branding, slogans, catchphrases and names.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does Sony or MS ever have to deal with this? Always been curious if theyd have the same reactions.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
When will these people learn that Nintendo does not appreciate outside sources messing with their IPs and releasing them? How many times does Nintendo have to keep teaching you this lesson?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same discussion as ever, same talking as ever and as always, nothing will happen too. Of course, no one learns the lesson that the company won't allow it and then will get it on the ass.

It always make me laugh too that people think this is really prejudicing Nintendo when the results of the company tells another story for their games and consoles.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder also that Nintendo is the main reason why game rentals and game bars in Japan got completely fucked and they are actively trying to kill game conservation so they can monopolize on it

Yeah, it's not like Square Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco, Sega, Koei Tecmo and others aren't doing this as well.