• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
EysKaZI.jpg

s0lrD4C.jpg
ZE3PNUh.png

Fusajiro Yamauchi began manufacturing and selling Japanese playing cards, Hanafuda, in Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan.

bXcHO68.jpg

Started manufacturing and selling the first western playing cards in Japan.

f18wMDq.jpg

Established Marufuku Co., Ltd., which is the previous incarnation of Nintendo Co., Ltd., in Higashikawara-cho, Imagumano, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan.

Hiroshi Yamauchi took office as president.

PjiOHv6.jpg

Changed the company's name to Nintendo Playing Card Co., Ltd.

ZKAUYcH.jpg

Consolidated the manufacturing facilities, which used to be scattered around Kyoto, in Kamitakamatsu-cho, Fukuine, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan.

Became the first company to succeed in mass-producing plastic playing cards in Japan.

Moved the headquarters to Kamitakamatsu-cho, Fukuine, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan.
Started selling Disney character playing cards.
Automated the production of Japanese playing cards with machines that paste backing paper onto the cards.

Established the Tokyo Branch in Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.

Listed stock on the Second Section of the Osaka Securities Exchange and on the Kyoto Stock Exchange.

Changed the company's name to Nintendo Co., Ltd. (current name).

Stock listing was changed to the First Section of the Osaka Securities Exchange.

Developed an entertainment system called Laser Clay Shooting System for leisure facilities.

AkztWfc.jpg

Launched Nintendo's first home video game machines, TV Game 15 and TV Game 6.

XP3uCV5.jpg

Developed and started selling arcade video game machines.

Developed and started selling GAME & WATCH.
Established a wholly-owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., in New York, U.S.A.

IMCaf37.jpg

Developed and started selling an arcade video game called Donkey Kong.

0onbN2m.jpg

Established Nintendo of America Inc. in Seattle, Washington and merged the New York subsidiary into it.

Launched the home video game system, Family Computer System (known as Nintendo Entertainment System outside Japan.)

dm3jkG2.png

Started selling the Super Mario Bros. game software for the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Launched the handheld video game system, Game Boy.

7woibnO.jpg

Launched the home video game system, Super Famicom (known as Super Nintendo Entertainment System outside Japan.)

8yTU9Ou.png

Launched the home video game system, Nintendo 64.

FLPtsl6.png

The headquarters of Nintendo Co., Ltd. was relocated to 11-1 Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku, Kyoto, Japan (current location).

Launched the handheld video game system, Game Boy Advance. Launched the home video game system, Nintendo GameCube.

Satoru Iwata took office as president.

aY3jHKh.jpg

Launched the handheld video game system, Nintendo DS.

XPjoKI2.jpg

Launched the home video game system, Wii.

fxg8ryZ.png

Launched the handheld video game system, Nintendo DSi.

Launched the handheld video game system, Nintendo 3DS.

Launched the home video game system, Wii U.

Launched the handheld video game system, New Nintendo 3DS.

Tatsumi Kimishima took office as president.

AaDhIuG.jpg

Released smart device application, Miitomo.

Launched Nintendo Switch, a home video game system that can also be used as a handheld.
Established Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd. in Taito-ku, Tokyo.

Wo71tMB.jpg

Shuntaro Furukawa took office as president.
Started the online service, Nintendo Switch Online.

t8uHCgn.jpg

Launched Nintendo Switch Lite.

eDyF3U1.png

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
130 years of hanafuda goodness.

also some video games. they were kind of okay at that. ice climber was sort of fun

OP
OP
Marufuku

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Sorry, I hit the post button before finishing the thread.

Should be ready by the morning.

Sep 14, 2019
How weird to have worked for the company long before they become globally recognized for what they currently are known for. Like a completely different business. With Sony they just opened up a gaming division but with Nintendo, that's practically just what they are now (I'm sure they have novelty products on the side though).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
happy birthday nintendo!

they've survived as a company for 130 years, but just wait for the smallest mistake or flop, and people will start the doom and gloom and speculate about which company will acquire them. they'll outlive all of us, i'm sure.

to me they're a huge part of why i like this hobby in the first place, they've just never lost sight of what makes a game good and timeless. it's not the flashy graphics, it's not the "mature" or "cinematic" feel. it's good old fun gameplay. i'm confident that they'll never let go of their main priority.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More than a century later, Does Nintendo "give a shit about games as an art form"?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Happy Birthday, Nintendo!

Trivia: Nintendo was founded the same year the Eiffel Tower first opened.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I dislike congratulating big ass corporations because obvious reasons, but with Nintendo there's always a exception because their products have always been present during the happiest moments of my life since I was a dumb kid. And during the roughest too. Congrats, Nintendo! Here's to another 130 years of awesomenes and of no Mother 3 on the West!

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
How weird to have worked for the company long before they become globally recognized for what they currently are known for. Like a completely different business. With Sony they just opened up a gaming division but with Nintendo, that's practically just what they are now (I'm sure they have novelty products on the side though).
Just think about Hiroshi Yamauchi, who was President of the company from 1949-2002.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
"Leave luck to the heavens" is probably the most apt translation of a company ever, because one doesn't get by on luck alone. Happy Birthday Nintendo and here's to another 130 years.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
You're early, it's not even 23 sept. in Japan. But that's okay, here's to another 130 years! Let's have some cake!

Super-Mario-Bros-Yoshi-Birthday-Cake.jpg

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What position do you think Nintendo will be in once PlayStation turns 130? I Imagine they'll have finally, begrudgingly, dropped friend codes and released a 4K remastered version of F-Zero - the original one - on their new full-VR subscription service. 2124 will definitely be the year of Nintendo, mark my words.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
The growth is pretty remarkable .

You can tell how they are always working on something by constantly releasing stuff

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Nintendo is as old as the eiffel tower, to put things in perspective.