Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
A new Mario Party this fall. Superstars was three years ago, and Super Mario Party was three years before that.

A port of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

A new Stretchmo, or a port of Stretchmo.

Nintendo World Championship: NES Edition.

Pikmin 4 DLC Expansion Pass, with Oatchi amiibo.

N64 NSO road map feat. Diddy Kong Racing.

The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

The remake of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War.

A shadow drop for Hollow Knight: Silksong.

Metroid Prime 4. Remasters of MP2 and MP3.

Last year's Direct also revealed Detective Pikachu Returns... so maybe TPC will show gameplay here for Legends Z-A.
I can see the port and remake galore except FE4. Three FE games in six years are a bit too much. Silksong is a Microsoft thing. MP4 I think will be announced as a cross-gen title, so it's more likely to show up in the Switch 2 direct.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
If they ain't releasing until next Christmas there is still time for a Switch Lite OLED.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
They gotta have an insane lineup by the time Switch 2 comes out, meaning they can release the games as they wish to boost quarters...

Let's see if we are indeed getting the Windwaker and Metroid Prime 2 Remaster port this year

Feb 9, 2024
I'm hoping for that spring 2025 release date anyways.

Another 18 months of nintendo games being stuck on the switch 1 would be rough.

"Stuck"

This mentality needs to die, no game is ever stuck anywhere. Games are released on their intended consoles, period.

The confirmation of a Switch successor doesnt make the Switch a lesser console.

It was a ridiculous discourse with the 3DS, and now is even more nonsensical.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Interesting way for them to just announce this in this way. Was there something substantial that was a rumor that they're trying to get ahead of or are they really just announcing it for no real reason? Or like maybe a shareholder thing or something...?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Interesting way for them to just announce this in this way. Was there something substantial that was a rumor that they're trying to get ahead of or are they really just announcing it for now real reason? Or like maybe a shareholder thing or something...?
They released their FY24 numbers today. So to probably ease angst from investors and knowing they'd probably be asked about their plans for FY25. They got ahead of it and had Furukawa announce that they will announce the successor within FY25 and the Direct date for next month to keep investors upbeat.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
I don't really get the excitement...
Basically to me it reads "yes we are working on a new system and the announcement will happen at some point in a timeframe of 9 months". It doesn't really move the needle from what is expected.
Curious about that June Direct. Wonder if most games will be remakes/remasters and small games or if they will spotlight bigger games like Metroid Prime 4 or Pokemon legends ZA
I bet on the latter

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Here we goooooooooo!!!!

I expect October teaser and January presentation like they did with Switch. I don't know if this would be the best movement but those days were bonkers and I would like to live it again.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is they still don't quite have the release date pinned down yet. Could be March 2025, could be April or May, so they can't quite put it into their forecast for the FY and hence the wording.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
They gotta have an insane lineup by the time Switch 2 comes out, meaning they can release the games as they wish to boost quarters...

Let's see if we are indeed getting the Windwaker and Metroid Prime 2 Remaster port this year
For now we can point out Metroid Prime 4 and Pokémon Legends ZA. They seem like bestsellers, don't you think? Surely Monolith soft will also launch the new RPG it has been working on for years

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
They released their FY24 numbers today. So to probably ease investors and knowing they'd probably be asked about their plans for FY25. They got ahead of it and had Furukawa announce that they will announce the successor within FY25 and the Direct date for next month to keep investors upbeat.
Ah okay, then yeah I guess that makes sense. Weird they didn't just wait until next month for the Direct to announce it but whatever.

Can't wait to see what the Direct has in store for the latter part of the year. Bring me that XCX port dropping that day and XCX2 later in the year. Yeah I know, I'm tired af right now and can't sleep.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
My guess is they still don't quite have the release date pinned down yet. Could be March 2025, could be April or May, so they can't quite put it into their forecast for the FY and hence the wording.
I also think that they will launch the console in the first 6 months of the year

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I also think that they will launch the console in the first 6 months of the year
Oh yeah if I had to bet it would be a fall reveal + early 2025 release. But I don't think they know just yet when that would be so they hedged a bit when communicating with their investors.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I can see the port and remake galore except FE4. Three FE games in six years are a bit too much. Silksong is a Microsoft thing. MP4 I think will be announced as a cross-gen title, so it's more likely to show up in the Switch 2 direct.
FWIW, FE4 is a game very likely to exist, as it fits the missing internal numbering and has been rumoured for a long time as a game that is already finished. It's the kind of release that would fit perfectly near the end of the year for the rpg audience.

Silksong is not a MS thing, it's not because MS has it on gamepass day one that it becomes a MS thing. For half of the world xbox might not even exist (Europe/Japan) and I'm quite sure PC/Switch were the main platforms in salesnumbers. I assume it'll be multiplatform day one on everything, and for many people this will be a game they'll play on switch.

And for as far as we know MP4 is a switch release, and they can perfectly launch it in Q4, with a big switch "enhancements update" at the launch of switch 2, or even a DLC bundle.

If they ain't releasing until next Christmas there is still time for a Switch Lite OLED.
If anything I would expect them to release a cheaper version of the Switch lite to get to these sales numbers. Traditionally it's the kids/parents and casual market that hops on cheaper consoles near the end of a generation. Something between 100-150, as they already have plenty of options in the +250 range. Also wouldn't be surprised if they stopped producing/selling certain models this year to focus on the models that do well in either sales or profits.

Those interested in a (more expensive) switch lite OLED are the same ones who know Switch2 is on the horizon and will probably wait it out.

Last edited:

llama-5-0

Mar 31, 2020
Is this Furukawa guy a trustworthy source with a good track record? I've been burned by too many of these leakers in the past.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
For now we can point out Metroid Prime 4 and Pokémon Legends ZA. They seem like bestsellers, don't you think? Surely Monolith soft will also launch the new RPG it has been working on for years
Right now we don't even know if Z-A will release before Switch 2. It could end up being a holiday 2025 release with Switch 2 releasing many month's earlier.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My guess is September or January reveal to a March or April 2025 launch.
It would make sense to launch with the start of their new fiscal year but who knows.

Hopefully 3D Mario and Kart are ready to go and maybe it's finally time for Metroid Prime 4 and 3D (or next) DK too

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Well, there it is. Exactly what I expected. Full reveal later this year, launch early next year.

Can't wait to see what they're cooking!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
What could they possibly have for Switch 2024? Last direct already felt like they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

-Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
-Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
-Metroid Prime 4
-Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition
-Fire Emblem 4 remake

And I'm sure they still have a few other things we don't know about to pad it out. Maybe those oft-rumored TP & TWW remasters/remakes will finally show up. Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Remastered, maybe. F-Zero GX remaster. Lots of rumored projects. Plus there's Pokemon Legends ZA that's probably a January 2025 game…

So yeah, they've still got plenty left in the tank to sustain Switch owners until launch. May be a lot of potential remasters or remakes, but it's something.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
With them being so specific about announcement only, you'd have to assume the release falls outside of the FY. Hopefully it's like April, rather than the end of 2025.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I rly dont want MP4 only tied to Switch. I defo want it to be crossgen.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
With them being so specific about announcement only, you'd have to assume the release falls outside of the FY. Hopefully it's like April, rather than the end of 2025.
They probably don't know just yet where exactly it'll fall. I don't think it will be the end of 2025, it wouldn't even really be worth mentioning today if that were the case.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo announced a Mother 3 translation would be enough to ride switch hype for the rest of the year.

(this will never happen)

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the June direct and later then expected reveal means there are still some big switch 1 games for this year.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
This feels like water in the desert. Thank god they've at least acknowledged it. Figured they would because of the investor call but I know some weren't convinced it would definitely be mentioned for some pretty valid reasons.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
They probably don't know just yet where exactly it'll fall. I don't think it will be the end of 2025, it wouldn't even really be worth mentioning today if that were the case.
Probably, given that the supposed delay we heard about only happened recently. And yeah I doubt it actually slips that far into 2025.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
A big blowout reveal in January next year with the release in May makes sense then, gives Switch one more holiday as the lead.

I think we'll see the console in October with a few games but then a big reveal in January

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
If they're ruling out a June reveal then I guess they're going the Switch 1 route: reveal in the fall followed by a more in depth presentation and a release in March.