Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think for the simple reason that we have no idea about Nintendo's internal development plans for the game well as their internal timeline for Switch/Pro?/Switch 2 development.
The game was announced for switch 5 years ago.

This is the same company that kept the promise of releasing BotW on the catastrophic bomb that was the Wii U. I can't take anyone seriously who believes they're going "fuck the 140m user base of the switch" for Prime 4.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The game was announced for switch 5 years ago.

This is the same company that kept the promise of releasing BotW on the catastrophic bomb that was the Wii U. I can't take anyone seriously who believes they're going "fuck the 140m user base of the switch" for Prime 4.
It was announced for the Switch, I don't think that's much of a "promise", and Zelda is a fundamentally different franchise than Metroid. It's quite possible that it's going to be released for the Switch, but I don't think Nintendo would keep MP4 on the Switch if they felt it was a better business case for the franchise to release it as a launch title for the Switch 2. Also, please don't be condescending. Thanks.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
latest
I agree with this and i would not be surprised that Nintendo want Donkey Kong to grow bigger in the future.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
If Metroid prime doesn't appeal to enough of the base of the most successful device in history, the entire series is fucked, lol.

It's not going to magically become a visual showcase even if they for some insane reason decide to not release the switch 1 version, because it *still spent practically all of the development time being a switch 1 game intended for switch 1 hardware*. Why people keep pretending that immutable fact isn't there doesn't make sense at all to me.
I don't think we know enough about the development of the game to really say that. Retro was in the midst of working on MPR(which was the full trilogy at the time) when they took over MP4. Given that it took several years for MPR to complete, and how much they were hiring in recent years, there's a reasonable likelihood that MP4 was not fully staffed up for quite a while after they took over the project, given that Retro is/was a fairly small studio. It may have been in pre-production for quite some time based on the above. In conjunction with understanding the timeframe of the t239, it's very possible they had time to work on a relatively bespoke version for the Switch 2. In general I just wouldn't assume "the game has been in dev for 5 years on Switch 1", just based on what we know about the studio and what they've been up to.

That's not me agreeing with the idea that it will skip Switch 1, but it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo moved a game to a successor platform. I think in actuality, it will just be moved to be a cross gen launch period title, so as to avoid being caught in the dead zone between the reveal of the new system and it's launch.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we know enough about the development of the game to really say that. Retro was in the midst of working on MPR(which was the full trilogy at the time) when they took over MP4. Given that it took several years for MPR to complete, and how much they were hiring in recent years, there's a reasonable likelihood that MP4 was not fully staffed up for quite a while after they took over the project, given that Retro is/was a fairly small studio. It may have been in pre-production for quite some time based on the above. In conjunction with understanding the timeframe of the t239, it's very possible they had time to work on a relatively bespoke version for the Switch 2. In general I just wouldn't assume "the game has been in dev for 5 years on Switch 1", just based on what we know about the studio and what they've been up to.

That's not me agreeing with the idea that it will skip Switch 1, but it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo moved a game to a successor platform. I think in actuality, it will just be moved to be a cross gen launch period title, so as to avoid being caught in the dead zone between the reveal of the new system and it's launch.
Also given that it was moved right before the pandemic, that also might have given some more leeway for Nintendo to decide what to do with the game given that early development most likely slowed during the first part of the pandemic. Again, we don't know, and like you said, we really can't be certain of their internal development timeline.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I would be shocked if Prime 4 moves to Switch 2 entirely. Cross platform release with both systems seems like a no brainer. My guess/hope is a teaser in Dec at TGA with a "more to show soon" and a Jan segment during the Switch 2 official reveal.

Prime 2 and 3 drops in Jun Direct to pad out the last year would be perfect.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I want one since I love my Steam Deck and all the incredible Steam sales that come with it, but it's tempting as hell.

The FOMO will be incredibly strong with this one.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Oh Nintendo, you never fail to amuse me! Just announce the damn thing already like a normal company lol! If it doesn't have VR or AR functionality nobody's gonna care anyway lol

Normal companies dont announce the successor of a device they still want to sell for the next 10 months this early

There is a reason why tech companies typically have a 2 month announcement to release window.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I am already getting anxious about getting one because I know that stock issues are gonna be a nightmare lol

I also can't wait to find out what they call it. I hope it's not just 'Switch 2'

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I would be shocked if Prime 4 moves to Switch 2 entirely. Cross platform release with both systems seems like a no brainer. My guess/hope is a teaser in Dec at TGA with a "more to show soon" and a Jan segment during the Switch 2 official reveal.

I agree that it'll most likely be cross-gen but I also don't think Nintendo will wait for January to announce the system if Brazil's rumors about a March 2025 release are true, or even might not be set in stone but are the general target. If they're worried about cutting into holiday sales, well, they made that decision when they apparently delayed the system.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
And there it is.
No reveal in June, so I guess they'll probably be following the Switch 1 cycle and announcing in October like many have been guessing.

I would wager that they wait even longer. Why sabotage their holiday season?

My money says they announce in February or March 2025 and release before summer.

I also can't wait to find out what they call it. I hope it's not just 'Switch 2'

I hope it is. If it's not "Switch 2" or "Super Switch" it's probably going to be something dumb that confuses people and makes them think it's an add-on for the Switch they currently have. Like "Wii U."

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

My money says they announce in February or March 2025 and release before summer.
They already sabotaged their holiday season by saying they're announcing a new console.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I hope it's just Switch 2!

Everyone knows without thinking that it's the Switch successor.

Exactly, Switch 2 (or a unique name) all the way. Suggesting "Super Nintendo Switch" or something similar in a world of PS4 Pro and whatever other variants just doesn't work anymore, it was one thing back in the 90s but not now, and Nintendo doesn't need another Wii U scenario.

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, Switch 2 (or a unique name) all the way. Suggesting "Super Nintendo Switch" or something similar in a world of PS4 Pro and whatever other variants just doesn't work anymore, it was one thing back in the 90s but not now, and Nintendo doesn't need another Wii U scenario.

Exactly. I hope they learnt their lesson with naming.... Wii U was just bad

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So this is the last chance for MP4 to be shown huh
If it's not in this direct then it's probably a Switch 2 launch title (hopefully not cross-gen)

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Switch 2 is the obvious candidate for business sense reasons, but Super Switch would be really funny. Millennial parents silently fuming when the kids ask for a "Super Nintendo"

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It was announced for the Switch, I don't think that's much of a "promise", and Zelda is a fundamentally different franchise than Metroid. It's quite possible that it's going to be released for the Switch, but I don't think Nintendo would keep MP4 on the Switch if they felt it was a better business case for the franchise to release it as a launch title for the Switch 2. Also, please don't be condescending. Thanks.
I'll rephrase and instead of "anyone", just say that I can't take that opinion specifically seriously because I genuinely can't. I'm with you on that it's most likely cross-gen, to be clear, I just mean don't see it as exclusive for Switch 2 at all.

And it's frustrating reading people set their expectations at that because it's just gonna turn around and become complaints once the game is actually revealed for the Switch 1. And I am not looking forward to reading "should've saved it for Switch 2!!!" over and over when we've been waiting 7 years for this.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Mom and Pop shopping at Target aren't gonna know the difference, and Target isn't going to put up signs until an official announcement.

They already made that call when they apparently decided to delay the system. Retailers know a new system is coming and will be hesitant to take on new inventory. Nintendo isn't going to have a ton of new games to release this winter because of this apparent delay. They wouldn't have acknowledged the system today if they were planning on a mid summer 2025 release, they wouldn't have needed to.

Drachen

May 3, 2021

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Nintendo hasn't participated in a Geoff-run event in any meaningful capacity in years, I doubt they'll come back now.

Because they won't have a lot of big games this holiday anyway. Plus Nintendo's already hurting holiday sales by announcing the Switch 2 in any official capacity.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I agree that it'll most likely be cross-gen but I also don't think Nintendo will wait for January to announce the system if Brazil's rumors about a March 2025 release are true, or even might not be set in stone but are the general target. If they're worried about cutting into holiday sales, well, they made that decision when they apparently delayed the system.

Agreed on that for sure, not to mention the official announcement today that the successor is coming.

Maybe a Sep/Oct reveal and acknowledgement that the remaining Switch 1 releases (MP4, etc.) will be compatible with Switch 2 to not utterly kneecap holiday software sales, possibly mentioning an uprez/performance upgrade on the new console?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They already sabotaged their holiday season by saying they're announcing a new console.
if backcompat rumor is true, and Brazil seems pretty good with his track record, i don't think it will impact sales much, especially software

I assume by the time their big holiday title is launched, we'll know exactly how BC works and if certain games will get automatically upgraded (higher resolution/60 fps etc) on the Switch 2. That will mean consumers will not have any concerns about their purchases being locked to the old console and continue buying.

Hardware will be impacted, but a long overdue price cut will probably help. They are forecasting 13.5m Switches for the current FY. A big decline but still respectable.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I'll rephrase and instead of "anyone", just say that I can't take that opinion specifically seriously because I genuinely can't. I'm with you on that it's most likely cross-gen, to be clear, I just mean don't see it as exclusive for Switch 2 at all.

And it's frustrating reading people set their expectations at that because it's just gonna turn around and become complaints once the game is actually revealed for the Switch 1. And I am not looking forward to reading "should've saved it for Switch 2!!!" over and over when we've been waiting 7 years for this.

I don't really care if you can't take idea seriously, but it's true that we have no idea about the development of the game. We don't know what stage of development it was at when the pandemic happened. We don't know what stage of development it was at when Nintendo decided to internally move its AAA development to the Switch 2. I think my issue with your post is that you're talking about how this is some knowable thing and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy or irrational, but the truth is we actually don't know a lot at all, which is why we're speculating. Even if the game is never released for the Switch 2 as cross-gen, I would assume at some point people within Nintendo and Retro had the same exact conversation we're having now.

It seems from gleaning your second paragraph that you're worried about people getting their expectations too high because of a potential Switch 2 exclusive release with all of the bells and whistles. That's fine if you're personally worried about how people on Era and elsewhere will react to an announcement, I guess, but that's immaterial to how Nintendo built its business case on what to do with the game. I think they probably went with a cross-gen release, but again, we won't know until we know and I can at least entertain the arguments for why moving its development to the Switch 2 could be attractive.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The demographic who would buy a switch on holiday in its 8th year on the market is very different from the early adopter demographic. The holiday sales will be what they are.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that any name other than Switch 2 or Super Switch is going to be a mistake. Those two are lay-ups as far as I'm concerned. Let's please avoid another Wii U naming fiasco, Nintendo.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also personally skeptical that they'll name it something besides the Switch 2. One of the big confusions with the WiiU besides the name was that people thought the tablet was a Wii add-on. The next Switch will still be a tablet, albeit bigger, and I think Nintendo could be worried people might think these apparent new magnetic joy cons are simple Switch accessories. I would bet they are going to be as explicit as possible in the branding.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we all just come together for a moment and acknowledge how far through the roof our collective excitement levels are going to be whenever this thing is finally officially announced/revealed? It feels so overdue at this point. The fervor is going to be off the charts like it was back in 2017 with the OG Switch launch. I can't wait.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
I think Metroid Prime 4 will be cross-platform at best (at best!). It's true we don't really know much about the game, but it's probably better to assume it's due for release on the OG Switch.

Also, I have said it before but I think people overthink the issue of the console's name. While Wii U was a terrible name, the confusion wasn't solely due to it (Nintendo really botched the initial reveal and subsequent marketing), and that wasn't the primary reason why it flopped.

As long as the marketing is on point, the new "gimmick" or hardware feature of the console is not as intrusive/confusing as the Gamepad was, and the big games are there on the first six months, the Switch successor won't suffer the same fate as the Wii U even if they name it something like "Switch Advance", "Switch Magnus" or whatever.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I hope it is. If it's not "Switch 2" or "Super Switch" it's probably going to be something dumb that confuses people and makes them think it's an add-on for the Switch they currently have. Like "Wii U."
Super Switch is confusing, it also seems like a revision, not a successor.

kxs

Jul 25, 2022
It won't be called "Super Switch". Sounds too retro. Naming conventions changed since the 1990s.

I think it would be called Switch 2 or Switch along with some random letters or word.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
Honestly unless they go with like 'Switch 2' they should probably ditch the Switch name or else we'll be in a Wii U situation where nobody knows if it's a revision or next gen upgrade.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Annopunce liek just annoucne its exists with vagaue specs liek that wired 2019 PS5 article or show the real deal?