• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So, if the original Switch is to get a modest upgrade at best, likely phasing out the original...what does that entail for pricing?
Feels like we need a cheaper Switch (mini) at $199, but where does that leave the normal/modest switch which also needs a price drop?

Would $199 vs $249 be too close with the joycon/dock adding a lot in value?
Don't really see Nintendo dropping to $179 and $249, but I guess that would make a bit more sense.

Oct 26, 2017
So, if the original Switch is to get a modest upgrade at best, likely phasing out the original...what does that entail for pricing?
Feels like we need a cheaper Switch (mini) at $199, but where does that leave the normal/modest switch which also needs a price drop?

Would $199 vs $249 be too close with the joycon/dock adding a lot in value?
Don't really see Nintendo dropping to $179 and $249, but I guess that would make a bit more sense.

Why does the normal Switch need a price drop? They might bump the internal storage up to 64GB or something.

Timing it with a mobile game beta doesn't make much sense. There's no synergy there. If anything, they'd time it with a Pokemon info drop

I suppose so, I was just envisioning an info drop for a lot of things, but no evidence yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it need a price drop? They might bump the internal storage up to 64GB or something.

I suppose so, I was just envisioning an info drop for a lot of things, but no evidence yet.
The current model, 2-3 years after launch at full price seems weird. I guess more internal storage would be nice, but perhaps starting to bundle in games would be a good choice too.

Oct 26, 2017
The current model, 2-3 years after launch at full price seems weird. I guess more internal storage would be nice, but perhaps starting to bundle in games would be a good choice too.

As long as people are still buying it at the same rate it's not weird, and not when a cheaper option is inbound, maybe they will look at it once the dust settles from that.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as people are still buying it at the same rate it's not weird, and not when a cheaper option is inbound, maybe they will look at it once the dust settles from that.
They already fell short of their goal and they'll make a price cut to stop a potential sales decline. They have to be proactive and anticipate sales drops ahead of time. So they can't just wait because it's still selling at the same rate. They want to go higher or at least maintain the same rate

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think they need a pricecut at all for the base model.
$199 and $299 are perfectly fine price points.
They missed their goal last year cause the games were just not there. I thought they were gonna have an amazing line up with that 20mil target and it was pedestrian outside of a stacked Q4 and the sales showed exactly that.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is likely not wanting to announce anything too early in fear some will hold off purchasing the system now.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like that the "mini" Switch will replace the 3DS line.

And considering the PS5 being released in late 2020, I imagine they now calculate the viability of a Super-Switch for 21/22.

I believe that Nintendo/Nvidia consider themselves able to put in the marketplace a newSwitch able to run 3rd-party games built for the PS5 as the OriginalSwitch (the first initiative in this sense!) currently runs a good number of games created for the PS4.

Make no mistake about it. The future of the consoles is portability.
Sounds reasonable, since Switch will be 5 years old in 2021 and PS5/New Xbox ports will be difficult on the current Switch.
Add to that that many components will be much cheaper which will help Nintendo have a reasonable price tag.
I think it'll be a New Switch & New Switch mini in 2021.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they need a pricecut at all for the base model.
$199 and $299 are perfectly fine price points.
They missed their goal last year cause the games were just not there. I thought they were gonna have an amazing line up with that 20mil target and it was pedestrian outside of a stacked Q4 and the sales showed exactly that.
Even if it would sell fine, that's still a long time without even a bundle.
Just throw in Mario Kart or something as a freebie at the very least.

It's the last year they have as the "new hotness", being safe would lead to some troubles going forward

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People didn't buy it at the rate Nintendo wanted last year so that seems like reason to do *something*.
No price drop or bundle this year would be ridiculous
Last year was bad planning on Nintendo. Before E3 Nintendo was struggling with keeping pace with slight to minimal yoy growth. Once E3 hit though it started having noticeably better sales and it hasn't slowed down since. 2019 is off to a super start compared to 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
Last year was bad planning on Nintendo. Before E3 Nintendo was struggling with keeping pace with slight to minimal yoy growth. Once E3 hit though it started having noticeably better sales and it hasn't slowed down since. 2019 is off to a super start compared to 2018.
They're off to good start, but it's still its 3rd year and they missed sales targets by a considerable amount last year.

Not sure why "at least do a bundle" is a controversial take.

Especially if they're making a die shrunk original Switch without a big power boost.

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this thread because I feel that if "late June" is to be made, the Mario Maker Direct would be the best non-E3 time to announce. Nintendo has announced hardware revisions in stranger ways (New 2DS XL) and it would make sense to announce alongside SMM2 as that has a similar (rumored) release date.

Also, I'm not sure where "won't announce new hardware for now or at E3" came from, everything I've read said Nintendo won't announce at E3. That still leaves the time before E3 (aka this Direct) to announce.