• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I check the eShop pretty regularly, and I think the DLC could not be more clearly labelled. I don't understand how anyone could pick the wrong one.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean they probably don't give refunds (which is terrible), but that's not what the article (which uses nintendo soup as a source) is saying. it's just saying nintendo is saying be careful not to purchase the wrong version, not saying we're not giving refunds.

I check the eShop pretty regularly, and I think the DLC could not be more clearly labelled. I don't understand how anyone could pick the wrong one.
maybe kids not knowing the deal with the dlc and what is compatible with what. but then again kids shouldn't be making purchases in the shop anyway.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
On the Japan eshop page, it specifically says Pokemon Sword Expansion Pass, and Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass in big bold letters, plus the images that roll by also state which version you're purchasing.

There's also a disclaimer that warns the buyer beforehand of which version it is... I just feel like people are in such a hurry to buy out of impulse, they fail to read all of the eshop page.
Even if it could be conceded that the customer should pay more attention when buying the "game specific" dlc for two versions of a single game that are nearly identical, why can't they just change the license?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that two versions of the DLC even exist is such a fucking grift in the first place. This was an obvious and inevitable outcome of them both existing, and the fact that Nintendo and TPC didn't make it all but impossible to buy the wrong DLC is dumb as shit. Fuck 'em.

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's incredibly stupid that the DLCs are separate and that is even possible in the first place. Not refunding is unacceptable.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
You're not supposed to buy both versions of any pokemon game, you buy one version and trade with other people for the version exclusives
the people who buy both versions of the game are an extreme minority
It doesn't have to be just one person buying both. Could be sibling, each buying a different version. Especially now that you can have different profiles.

If they wanted to promote trading they could add a system that would choose what pokemon appear based on your choices or something.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have to be just one person buying both. Could be sibling, each buying a different version. Especially now that you can have different profiles.

If they wanted to promote trading they could add a system that would choose what pokemon appear based on your choices or something.
what does greed have to do with this scenario, though

whether there's one version or two versions, they're still selling the same number of copies of the game

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Even so, that's no excuse for not allowing a refund

I work with some very smart people and a part of my job is telling them what they need to do, and the number of them that don't read simple emails and end up in really hot water because of it is mind blowing

If even smart people can't read simple emails a lot of a time, I'm sure there are some kids that will mess buying up DLC, even if it is clearly labelled

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
what does greed have to do with this scenario, though

whether there's one version or two versions, they're still selling the same number of copies of the game
No, people buy both versions. I should know because I used to do it all the time.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they at least offering to change the DLC to the right one?
we don't know. has someone who's gotten the wrong version here contacted nintendo to see what the response is? is it just "tough shit"?

How the fuck can you even buy a dlc if don't have the game? Nintendo incompetence know no bounds.
i'm pretty sure most stores allow you to buy DLC even if you don't have the game. you keep it to use whenever you get the game. here tho it's a shitty decision by game freak/nintendo to split the DLC in two. should have been one dlc pass for both games.

NuFrontier

Apr 19, 2020
Even if it could be conceded that the customer should pay more attention when buying the "game specific" dlc for two versions of a single game that are nearly identical, why can't they just change the license?

Why would they need to, when the shop itself already lets fans know of what they're purchasing though? They're not nearly identical when one has the sword icon plus the title, while the other has the shield icon plus the title.

Plus, I'm looking right now and the font color for Sword is blue, while the font color for Shield is red. So it seems like fans just immediately pulled the trigger, out of excitement, then point the finger at someone else for their own wrongdoing.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
No matter how shitty Nintendo can be with these things, I doubt they will not refund or manually change the purchase for you if you bought a useless DLC.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they need to, when the shop itself already lets fans know of what they're purchasing though? They're not nearly identical when one has the sword icon plus the title, while the other has the shield icon plus the title.

Plus, I'm looking right now and the font color for Sword is blue, while the font color for Shield is red. So it seems like fans just immediately pulled the trigger, out of excitement, then point the finger at someone else for their own wrongdoing.
To not be utter fucking dickheads.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
blog.esuteru.com

任天堂「ポケモン剣盾DLC誤購入のお問い合わせをいただいています」なお返金されない模様 : はちま起稿

はちま起稿:任天堂「ポケモン剣盾DLC誤購入のお問い合わせをいただいています」なお返金されない模様

This is where the actual source comes from, Videogamer < Nintendo Soup < Esuteru.

They just quote the Terms and Conditions of Nintendo I think?
Reposting for new page. It's not based on anything other than ToS.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Even if that is the case, why shouldn't they be given a refund?

They're not trying to get one up on Nintendo, and Nintendo don't miss out by letting the player have the thing they wanted in exchange for the asking price

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
you know if you buy the double pack you can give one of them to someone else, right
The double pack is the same price as buying the games individually, with the only bonus being 2 Dynamax Crystals(lol).

Pretty redundant when I have no problem gifting someone just about any game without issues.

I don't buy for a second that that option exists primarily for someone to gift one of the codes to a friend.

Even if I did, that is no justification for two slightly different versions of the same game to be sold.
I can buy two copies of any other game and gift one to a friend without having to worry about buying the right version.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they have, and accidents happen. Shouldn't need to feel there's a point of no return when shopping.

NuFrontier

Apr 19, 2020
Even if that is the case, why shouldn't they be given a refund?

They're not trying to get one up on Nintendo, and Nintendo don't miss out by letting the player have the thing they wanted in exchange for the asking price

I can understand wanting a refund for sure, but based on the responses from earlier, it seemed like a lot of finger-pointing was being made, rather than just simply admitting "Hey, I messed up because I wasn't paying attention, is it possible to refund?"

We've all made poor errors like this, but to just throw shade at Nintendo when they've clearly underlined what each eshop page should look like and for what version, and say negative things about the company is a bit odd to me.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
i assume most people buy the bundles to have two copies to play with their sibling/friend/partner/etc.
Why would GF/TPC need to make two copies of the same game? So people could buy two copies for their kids? Couldn't they do that even if there were only one version per generation?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We've all made poor errors like this, but to just throw shade at Nintendo when they've clearly underlined what each eshop page should look like and for what version, and say negative things about the company is a bit odd to me.
The creation of version specific DLC in the first place has predisposed me to be antagonistic towards this situation. They created this issue with that choice.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I accidentally pre-ordered the Megamix Miku version without the DLC. Ninty support simply said they "couldn't help me".

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know the DLC was specific to each version of the game.
o.O

Can easily see how parents (especially) are going to get stung on this.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's hilarious and scummy that they still even have 2 versions of the same fucking game to begin with

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Why would GF/TPC need to make two copies of the same game? So people could buy two copies for their kids? Couldn't they do that even if there were only one version per generation?
Well then people would ask why they need to have two copies and not just have multiple save files. And we can't allow parents to not have to buy a game for each child.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know the DLC was specific to each version of the game.
o.O

Can easily see how parents (especially) are going to get stung on this.
I suspect it's a system limitation, Nintendo probably designed it so that DLC is assigned to one particular game and didn't anticipate this situation.

Or maybe not and Pokémon just wants double money.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can understand wanting a refund for sure, but based on the responses from earlier, it seemed like a lot of finger-pointing was being made, rather than just simply admitting "Hey, I messed up because I wasn't paying attention, is it possible to refund?"

I think it's odd that anyone can endorse not forgiving an honest mistake from a customer who ultimately wants to give you money

There is no benefit for the customer to making this mistake, and even if they're at fault for not reading it properly, to punish them for that by lumping them with a DLC they can't play, and leaving them out of pocket, is still really shitty

The whole point of refunds for anything is to prevent people from buying something they don't want or need

NuFrontier

Apr 19, 2020
The creation of version specific DLC in the first place has predisposed me to be antagonistic towards this situation. They created this issue with that choice.

I can understand the predisposition and I'm not targeting anyone in particular, but it just seems like a lot of people are simply not able to admit they did wrong, and instead group together and be angry.

It's like drinking poison and then blaming the person in front of you for why you feel sick.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect it's a system limitation, Nintendo probably designed it so that DLC is assigned to one particular game and didn't anticipate this situation.

So, Game Freak are either incompetent or greedy.

Not sure which is worse in this context!

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
that's one reason

there are also parents with more than one kid, and friends who will buy the double pack and split the cost

sometimes bundles are just Convenient
Dumb, and poorly (barely) though trough by fans (like yourself I assume). This does not explain the need for two versions of the same game. You can buy two copies of a game for two people. You don't need two versions for that.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

No, it's not a system limitation, if the eShop has any sort of pack that can give you two or more games in one purchase then could give you both licensees. If there was some sort of weird dependency then you wouldn't be able to buy it without the game.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying sites are cashing in on Anti-Pokémon drivel?
I doubt it. Nintendo Soup is just a bad website and the other site put up a poorly researched article citing them.

Well then people would ask why they need to have two copies and not just have multiple save files. And we can't allow parents to not have to buy a game for each child.
That probably wouldn't be popular with families that have multiple children because they wouldn't be able to play with each other if it was just different save files on the same game. I'm pretty sure families can already do that though by making another profile on the Switch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.