• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm really tempted by the settings of the game.
Just a quick question: Is this game "fair hard" like the Souls series or "unfair hard" like the Ninja Gaiden series?
I just played the alpha and didn't like it, because it felt more like the latter one, difficult for the sake of difficulty.
Closer to Souls. I didn't like the alpha either. In fact I almost wrote off the game completely. But they changed things around a LOT, improved the controls, camera, lock-on system, loot system, etc. and it's amazing now. I went from hating the alpha, to having the final game as my GotY.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
Closer to Souls. I didn't like the alpha either. In fact I almost wrote off the game completely. But they changed things around a LOT, improved the controls, camera, lock-on system, loot system, etc. and it's amazing now. I went from hating the alpha, to having the final game as my GotY.

Really? I remember you as a fan of Soulsborne and Dragon's Dogma from (lurking at) the old place. I am as well, but Nioh fails to fully capture me. I think—while I can appreciate the combat mechanics—it features just too many questionable design decisions and repetitive encounters / maps for my liking. Nioh's not a bad game, but I wouldn't put it remotely on the same level as Souls, not even DS II. For me DS has never only been about the fighting, but also the exploration, world building and atmosphere and in my opinion in all these areas the series is on a whole different level in comparison to Nioh.

So, I'm just a bit surprised that some huge Souls fans like Nioh that much, while I fail to see its genius, I guess.

Nov 6, 2017
Just a quick question: Is this game "fair hard" like the Souls series or "unfair hard" like the Ninja Gaiden series?
I just played the alpha and didn't like it, because it felt more like the latter one, difficult for the sake of difficulty.
Way more fair then souls.
The game can feel like it leans a bit more into the RPG side of things. It can sometimes feel like you could get through the game if you had low combat reaction skill just by using the right equipment for the job.

Oh also unlike souls status effects range from good to broken.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The game has become completely unplayable for me after the latest patch (PC). Stutters constantly and never goes above 45fps (never went below 60 before patch). Anyone have any ideas on what to look for here?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I remember you as a fan of Soulsborne and Dragon's Dogma from (lurking at) the old place. I am as well, but Nioh fails to fully capture me. I think—while I can appreciate the combat mechanics—it features just too many questionable design decisions and repetitive encounters / maps for my liking. Nioh's not a bad game, but I wouldn't put it remotely on the same level as Souls, not even DS II. For me DS has never only been about the fighting, but also the exploration, world building and atmosphere and in my opinion in all these areas the series is on a whole different level in comparison to Nioh.

So, I'm just a bit surprised that some huge Souls fans like Nioh that much, while I fail to see its genius, I guess.
Plenty of us around. I've been on the Souls train since Demons' and I like my Nioh. For sure, as you say, there are plenty of elements that, when compared to Souls, fall short, but Nioh has its own strengths and it stands tall on those.

Wesley-Σ

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone want to go through Way of the Demon and poasibly Way of the Nioh together? Not a bad player, I have a mic, but I am not experienced with modern RPGs, so a lot of this loot amd gear stuff is enigmatic to me.

Oh, this is on PS4, by the way.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
Plenty of us around. I've been on the Souls train since Demons' and I like my Nioh. For sure, as you say, there are plenty of elements that, when compared to Souls, fall short, but Nioh has its own strengths and it stands tall on those.

I guess it's mostly me then. As I wrote a couple of days ago in this thread. I'm currently really struggling to finish Nioh.

(What also hasn't helped is me discovering "Darkwood", which I find incredibly addicting and which is currently taking away all my focus from pretty much anything else gaming wise. I do that a lot recently—starting new games before finishing prior ones.)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Played and loved all soulsborne games expect demon's souls (give us a remaster already Sony please) and I'd put Nioh on the same level, though if you are expecting the lore of the game to be anywhere near From's offerings then you will be disappointed in the game.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I treied to start the first dlc properly but the sub mission with the 3 samurai boss had me raging really hard. fuuuuuuuck

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Played this in ps4 and need to get back to it. Stopped playing like 2 months ago when it started to kick my ass lol

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm on the pc and haven't purchased this game yet (drowning under a sea of games right now), but I was under the impression Nioh is supposed to be its own thing. Why can't Souls fans like non-Souls games? I guess I don't see your point here?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Well the comparison I was responding to was for difficulty, I meant closer to Souls than Ninja Gaiden which is what was asked.

But while it's true that Nioh's level design doesn't reach the highs of Souls (it's still competent, mind) and its enemy variety really suffers, and it's not quite as atmospheric, and I prefer the RPG mechanics of Souls, it's still a fantastic game in its own right, and the combat mechanics are simply the best I've seen. It's just a real joy to play.

Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium
I had bought the game used in a store and was doing quite fine until the first boss (the demon with the 2 ball & chains) and he just kept wrecking me, taking out more than half my life bar with 1 hit.

I had the option to return in 14 days and decided to do so, because if that boss was giving me so much trouble, what the hell would happen further in the game?

A shame, as it's clearly a quality title but not for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Well the comparison I was responding to was for difficulty, I meant closer to Souls than Ninja Gaiden which is what was asked.

But while it's true that Nioh's level design doesn't reach the highs of Souls (it's still competent, mind) and its enemy variety really suffers, and it's not quite as atmospheric, and I prefer the RPG mechanics of Souls, it's still a fantastic game in its own right, and the combat mechanics are simply the best I've seen. It's just a real joy to play.

The combat system is THE best in the "souls-like" subgenre, the depth is unmatchable.
For the inevitable sequel they just need to get better al level design and a slightly better story and we can have a perfect contender to the Souls games.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
God Nioh feels so damn amazing to play still. Ki Pulse/Flux stance dance is easily my favorite combat mechanic this entire generation. The depth of the stances combined with Ki Flux/Pulse feels sooo damn good to actually play and try to master.
Just orgasmic levels of tightness which compliments this celestial combat system.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
I'm on the pc and haven't purchased this game yet (drowning under a sea of games right now), but I was under the impression Nioh is supposed to be its own thing. Why can't Souls fans like non-Souls games? I guess I don't see your point here?

Oh, they can (and I do as well). I was just under the impression—or wrong assumption more like—going in that it would be far more soulsbornelike than it actually is. I can't help to be slightly disappointed. But I guess that really was more my mistake than the game's fault. I just like a lot of current (even less soulslike) games far more than I like Nioh and am struggling to finish it.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Ask a question like this in the Nioh OT and you'll get predictable answers. Here's a different perspective:

I never found Ninja Gaiden (the first one anyway) to be particularly unfair so I can't speak to that, but I can tell you that Nioh is much less fair than any given Souls game on several different axes. One hit kills are common, there are insane difficulty spikes in the form of the bosses (the gulf in difficulty between any given boss and the level before them is truly ridiculous), the controls, which are clunky in comparison to modern Souls games can and will get you killed if you momentarily forget to do the awkward workarounds required to ameliorate the issues with them, there are lots of enemy attacks with outrageously bad hitboxes, and some thoughtlessly designed enemies with no weaknesses whatsoever outside of their predictable/exploitable AI. Compared to the relatively steady challenge of Dark Souls Nioh is a very capricious game - you'll be easily laying waste to a level without a care in the world when all of a sudden something will just one shot you out of nowhere, or an enemy will pull some ridiculous magnet hands grab out of their ass and then do it again as you're standing up before you've regained control and you're dead before you know it.

I like the game, but playing it as much as I have requires you to put up with some things. What you won't see in this thread (especially since it necessarily had to be made a while after the game came out) are all the people who weren't willing to put up with those things and dropped out. I can only speculate as to what your problems with Ninja Gaiden were, but if they had anything to do with sudden, lopsided difficulty spikes I would be wary.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to start a new game with a new character but will that erase my first character?It would be a shame to lose so many hours of progress.On ps4 btw

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game has been adjusted since the alpha, I enjoyed the final game a lot more. Especially with weapon and armor durability being thrown out the window.

I've never really liked Ninja Gaiden much and absolutely loved Nioh. I'd say the difficulty is more fair and I didn't find the difficulty in the main story to be too cheap, especially during the main levels themselves. Bosses are very much pattern based and aren't that much of a problem once you learn them.

The thing about Nioh though is that there are a lot of overpowered tools at your disposal that are easily attainable, to the point where you might even feel like you're cheesing the game (but you won't care because it feels good lol). And they not only work on normal enemies but bosses as well. There are a lot of such tools and when coupled with the Guardian Spirit mechanic you have more than enough at your disposal to tackle (or cheese) pretty much anything you come across.

And if you want to play it fair/basic then you can do that to. Just check out EpicNamBro's vids on youtube where he beats bosses during his Level 1 character playthrough using mostly basic attack and dodge tactics and not taking damage.

I had bought the game used in a store and was doing quite fine until the first boss (the demon with the 2 ball & chains) and he just kept wrecking me, taking out more than half my life bar with 1 hit.

I had the option to return in 14 days and decided to do so, because if that boss was giving me so much trouble, what the hell would happen further in the game?

A shame, as it's clearly a quality title but not for me.

A lot of players lose to that first boss before getting the pattern down, it's normal.

You are learning the game, think of beating that boss as a stepping stone. Also, when you tackle future bosses you will have a lot more tools at your disposal so don't worry about it.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
But while it's true that Nioh's level design doesn't reach the highs of Souls (it's still competent, mind) and its enemy variety really suffers, and it's not quite as atmospheric, and I prefer the RPG mechanics of Souls, it's still a fantastic game in its own right, and the combat mechanics are simply the best I've seen. It's just a real joy to play...

well said. while there were several problems i had with nioh (among them the fact that it simply goes on too damn long!), i still have very fond (&, afa several interesting areas, very clear) memories of my time with the game. the combat system, in particular, felt really solid...

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This has been on my backlog all year. Messed with it initially when I got it and it felt more akin to me towards Bloodborne than Dark Souls, so I was stoked. Gonna start it up sometime soon because I got so busy with Persona 5 and that game legitimately took awhile since it's literally 100 hours long.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
This game has some really poor enemy choices and other things. Like how the end boss fight in base game is a joke and was very anticlimactic. Then you have Queen's Eye.

Doing Queen's Eye and the three dudes are rough. Can't be touched as they one shot me. Living Weapon is useless for me as they just one shot it.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
That mission is part of the main game tho.

Yea but its really for accessing DLC and NG+ no?

I need a break from this game and it's bugginess. That eye ball boss is stuck in the ground. His drones dont' even go away after killing them.

I need to play something with less repetitiveness and better choices for some other things. This game has CoOp down and diablo loot pinata going for it hands down though.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I feel so stupid. Was fighting the final main game boss
Orochi
and had some issues doing enough damage, so I decided for once to call in a Visitor.

Of course I forget that this was literally the last mission, so the Visitors you summon should all have
divine weapons
. So I summon a player and he does about four times as much damage as me per hit, the boss was down within a minute.

So much for a great end fight.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting back into Nioh recently on PS4. Stopped playing after DLC1pretty much. Played a bit of DLC2 but gave up because I didn't want to grind to max level 3x with each new DLC.

Really enjoying the build variety and the Abyss and co-op. Omg 999 level's is a lot of content.

Co-op is still super active on PS4 especially on WotN. There are a lot of super OP players running around diving into other people's gam3s and one shooting everything.

The rerolling with Umbracite is super nice and it makes it so much better to craft perfect gear. It was so nice of TN to give us the ability to make perfect or almost perfect gear without spending 100 hours at the blacksmith. The preubracite system was just too time consuming. Glad they improved it.

Gonna try to make four perfect loadouts with a 200 body/skill/dex build. And then just have fun. ... Hopefully TN doesn't have any more major Nerfs incoming to ruin one of them.

Also glad they added skill battle because STR battle was just very silly.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the main game + DLC today. The main missions at least. I still have a couple of side missions + kodamas to find in the various provinces but I doubt I'll be playing through the campaign in Way of the Strong mode. Not for the time being anyway. This is absolutely marvelous game but I think I've had enough of it for a while. I've been playing nothing but this in my spare time, and it got a bit too much.

rudds

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered already: I just snagged the Complete Edition on PS4, but the PS Store is still showing that I don't own the season pass or the three DLC packs. Is the DLC just built into the base game install with the CE? (CE appears to be a separate game from original Nioh in the PSN database.) I didn't see anything from skimming the in-game menus that confirmed whether the DLC was installed or not.

langgi

Oct 27, 2017
Southeast Asia
Sorry if this has been answered already: I just snagged the Complete Edition on PS4, but the PS Store is still showing that I don't own the season pass or the three DLC packs. Is the DLC just built into the base game install with the CE? (CE appears to be a separate game from original Nioh in the PSN database.) I didn't see anything from skimming the in-game menus that confirmed whether the DLC was installed or not.

If CE is your 1st playthrough, I'm afraid there are almost no way to tell whether DLC was installed or not from the menu alone (like, not even the title mentioned 'Complete Edition' right?)

The only way to check is to play the game until you can reach a shrine and there'll be sub-menu called 'Boons', you should be able to redeem the bonus items included in CE here. If you can get the items, that's the confirmation your game is CE, and all DLC story contents have already been installed. But, to actually see the DLC story contents you have to keep playing. They'll unlock later.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I feel so stupid. Was fighting the final main game boss
Orochi
and had some issues doing enough damage, so I decided for once to call in a Visitor.

Of course I forget that this was literally the last mission, so the Visitors you summon should all have
divine weapons
. So I summon a player and he does about four times as much damage as me per hit, the boss was down within a minute.

So much for a great end fight.
The problem here is that summoning is pretty much completely unlimited and unscaled. Depending on luck and time, you might summon a player/character that steamrolls shit even at NG+4.
Beside the answer above, your item drops can also indicate the DLCs. Of the current seven weapon classes, the Odachi and Tonfa are DLC weapons and cannot drop if you don't have access to them. If you see even one of either, that should mean you have full access to the DLC.

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point of looking through all my items that I got before the end of the game? Just wondering if it's worth it or if I should just donate/dissemble the <Divine tier stuff and just be done with it. Before the end game I had been saving set gear just in case I wanted to try them but it seems kinda moot now.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point of looking through all my items that I got before the end of the game? Just wondering if it's worth it or if I should just donate/dissemble the <Divine tier stuff and just be done with it. Before the end game I had been saving set gear just in case I wanted to try them but it seems kinda moot now.
Honestly, no. Everything you've accumulate up to that point should be replaced with Divine tier gear. They are just that much better, especially the armors since they have Familiary to boost their performance. They will also feature transferable abilities which is a pretty big part of how you can make some concentrated builds and focused sets of gear.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Whew. This feels like this has been a long game. On the final level of the base game and I'm currently doing the boss
rush thingy.

I was going to hit the DLC after this but to be honest I'm feeling a bit Nioh'd out. I'll tell ya, it was the first boss of the last region that kind of got to me. First time I summoned some help for a boss in this game.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus christ, some of those missions after the Queen's Eye mission.

Meeting on Another Shore is insane.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Meeting on Another Shore is insane.
It certainly isn't easy, but it is manageable once you get the basics down. The two enemies have quite different combat styles, so you can separate them by keeping the fight moving around and basically just fighting the more aggressive one. It really helps to learn the audio cues for the various attacks, so you don't even necessarily have to see something coming to dodge it.

The same basics applies to most of the other fights with similar setups as well.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone who posted combat tip videos a few weeks back. They really helped! I started from scratch (I wasn't far in and had no idea what was going on) and I'm slowly getting the depth of combat.

Quick question: What's the consensus on the Odachi? Seems pretty good to me, but interested to hear anyone's thoughts/tips.

I'm mulling over whether to have a single or double katana as back up (Odachi for Yokai, swords for humanoids). I love the single katanas, but the double seem to make up for the Odachi's weaknesses a little better. Does that sound right? Do they mesh well in terms of stats?

Any tips on how to distribute stats for that kind of build? Doesn't seem like there's quite the same limits (stats-wise) as the Souls games. Do I need to worry about level and soft caps in the same way?

Sorry for all the questions. Lots to get my head around!

Last edited: