• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Even though its already the eve until cod:bo4 release, its really dissapointing to see that Cod isn't on the Switch this year. Activision is throwing away a ton of free money.

Also, power is not an excuse to not have a cod this year on switch. We got it on consoles that were 10x weaker than their competitors and with more difficult architecture to work with (Wii vs 360). The biggest bottleneck isn't Switch's bandwidth or CPU to get ports either, it's actually the price of cartridges larger than 16GB, which will go down soon That being said, there is a work around to large cart sizes, which is by having the campaign on the physical cart, and multiplayer mode downloadable via dlc like Doom. To note also, CoD4 remastered on PS4 is only 40GB, and only 10GB is required to play campaign mode. Nintendo could easily cut down the size of the total game to 20GB and only have the campaign on the cart, and that could fit in an 8GB cartridge.

In addition, CoD4 shouldn't be a demanding game for Switch, so 720p and 900-1080p 60fps should be doable. It could either be given the Skyrim treatment or a port of the 360 with enhanced resolution and graphics. Sell it for $35-50 with all the dlc maps inuded and it's guaranteed to make a profit for Activision and be the top fsper on Switch. If it takes having the loot boxes and skins, I'd take the compromise. Just include the maps and all the other features with gyro support, and I will be there day 1.

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
You gotta imagine they're working on SOMETHING for next year on Switch. Whether it's a port of an old game, a version of next year's game, or a Switch exclusive.

The lucrative nature of that console with all their resources and studios seems too good to pass up.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I would have picked up a switch copy

Crazy cause it was on wii u of all things (bo2 and ghosts), bo2 on wii u was my first cod, and off TV play was awesome

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Wii U got Black Ops 2 at launch, so it is kinda weird. But then again Wii U was technically the strongest console that year iirc.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was there for COD on Wii-U, and it was tough as shit to find a match...
Never again they said

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You gotta imagine they're working on SOMETHING for next year on Switch. Whether it's a port of an old game, a version of next year's game, or a Switch exclusive.

The lucrative nature of that console with all their resources and studios seems too good to pass up.

Aren't fifa switch sales in Europe atrocious though? Are core games going to sell on Switch?

YoEssay

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What do Switch users honestly expect sometimes? I want one myself, but def don't expect powerful games to be ported.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm not surprised tbh. They probably thought it might fail so they didnt even develop for it.

Now that it's a success they definitely have a CoD for Switch in the works

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that Wii got like 4 and Wii U got 2.
But with the 50GB day one patch and the battle royal mode, they probably had their hands full

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Treyarch was the one that did all the Wii/Wii U ports. I'm guessing they were too busy make one for the Switch, and I'm sure they must have been since they had to cancel the campaign.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
It would be cool for sure i agree, but i still wouldve got the ps4 version. Dont think i can play call of duty at 30fps in handheld mode.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of any alternatives, either. For all the games that are getting ported to switch, it does seem like it's missing a decent competitive shooter.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

People keep saying this but they can and would pass up the Switch easy. Doesnt matter how "lucrative" it is when it will always be below the others.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I am semi shocked this year's Call of Duty isn't getting a Switch version.

The power difference is real, but Call of Duty games used to get Wii ports, for crying out loud.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
What do Switch users honestly expect sometimes? I want one myself, but def don't expect powerful games to be ported.
Yeah basically. The Wii U and Switch have similar specs to the Xbox 360 and PS3, so that's why the Wii U got ports of Black Ops 2 and Ghosts. Those games were also available on 360/PS3.

Now, though, the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't have any more games besides Just Dance and FIFA, so those get ported to Switch as well. That's also why there's no Madden game on Switch and why WWE 2K18 had such poor performance issues (to the point where 2K decided to skip attempting to port WWE 2K19 to Switch).

Oct 25, 2017
Hey at least you got smash.
35d837719863cabf4208efb562d01610

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If you like Call of Duty, shouldn't you already own one of the other systems so you can play it. Or is this another calculated Nintendo Port begging threat.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Portbegging: The Thread

What's wrong with making an argument to making a case for a game/franchise to be totally doable on the switch from a hardware and financial perspective? And if this is actually considered a port begging thread, why should it be outlawed, especially when there is productive discussion? Isn't this how Xenoblade and many other games got ported outside one region (Japan)?

I can complain that you made a driveby response, but that's beneath me.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Yeah I got banned for 3 days for mentioning that I would enjoy a certain title on Switch, not even actually asking for it. No warning, no nothing, just a ban. I imagine this thread won't last long and cross my fingers the mods are in a warning mood as opposed to a banning mood.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Remember the last time we got portable CoD? (Vita RIP).

But really, is the convenience factor that much of a bonus? I just can't see why you would sacrifice the visual fidelity to play games like Doom, Wolfenstein, and CoD on the Switch, just so you could play it on-the-go. In any case, I bet you will see CoD on Switch next year in some form.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah I got banned for 3 days for mentioning that I would enjoy a certain title on Switch, not even actually asking for it. No warning, no nothing, just a ban. I imagine this thread won't last long and cross my fingers the mods are in a warning mood as opposed to a banning mood.
Does it offer a productive discourse?

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Remember the last time we got portable CoD? (Vita RIP).

But really, is the convenience factor that much of a bonus? I just can't see why you would sacrifice the visual fidelity to play games like Doom, Wolfenstein, and CoD on the Switch, just so you could play it on-the-go. In any case, I bet you will see CoD on Switch next year in some form.
That's part of it, but the other reason is that switch needs fspers and third party AAA games. Not to mention gyro support. This game isn't even going to be demanding like Doom. It's a 1st gen 360 game. Think Skyrim

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You also won't get read dead or battlefield either.

I don't know how you can look at Blops4 and say it's feasible to get it running acceptably on the switch.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
you have to love now every game=doom, black ops don't run on unreal engine call of duty has its own engine, they have made pretty clear that they are moving forward and the switch is not. not every game needs to be on switch, and you thinking that every game its scalable to switch its crazy and more so thinking that the switch can run it at 60fps.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
So youve never played call of duty?
So you didn't read my thread where I said Cod was on the Wii, a console with a much larger power gap than this generation vs it's competitors?

, I've owned cod waw, cod4, cod bo, cod mw3, cod bo2, and cod ghosts. All on the Wii and Wii u consoles, and they all had online multiplayer with voice chat support. Treyarch did a damn good job porting those also. People say Doom was a tech miracle on switch, but if you look at the in paper specs and all the latest tech switch supports, it's not a miracle at all(they did a good job btw). Look at the cod Wii games, and then you will see a miracle. 480p 30fps with lower polygons, textures, player count (8-10), and even no kill cam or controllable camera streaks.. but the multiplayer gameplay was 100% identical otherwise.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Does it offer a productive discourse?
This thread? not really. No more than any request for "insert title here" would be great on Switch. We all want all the great stuff on our favorite consoles, but there is a reason that port begging is against forum rules.

Though I personally think what we define as "port begging" could be a bit better defined.

If say, I thought a particular game would be excellent as a handheld game, well that is not really more than an opinion or observation. But considering that switch is currently the only active handheld, fir me to mention that a particular game would be great on switch *because* it is a handheld, is instantly port begging even though my opinion is not specific to Switch, Switch just happens to be the only place the opinion currently applies.

So yea, port begging rules are a bit stiff, and mods don't seem to interested in giving grace to context within discussions that border on what could be considered port begging. Just from my experience.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe next year there will be COD switch game

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Well its been 5 years since the last cod on a nintendo platform. If you wanna play cod at all. Your just gonna have to invest in another system.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread Whining: The Post

This thread? not really. No more than any request for "insert title here" would be great on Switch. We all want all the great stuff on our favorite consoles, but there is a reason that port begging is against forum rules.
The reason is to not derail other threads. OP is trying to make a discussion about this.

The "portbegging" hate this site has is pretty weird. I do agree the rules are inconsistent, mods locked up a Castlevania thread because of people asking, fairly, why it was skipping Switch, but they let even more "portbegging" in the Katamari thread with people asking for a PS4 version. If a mod is reading this, I would like some answer about this.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
That's part of it, but the other reason is that switch needs fspers and third party AAA games. Not to mention gyro support. This game isn't even going to be demanding like Doom. It's a 1st gen 360 game. Think Skyrim

You're talking about a port of COD4: Modern Warfare right? In that case, I agree it shouldn't be too hard to get off the ground on Switch. Black Ops 4 thought? Would require a whole lot more work.

The funny thing is, the engine used for COD4 still had plenty of ID Tech 3 DNA. DOOM runs on ID Tech 6, so there is a bit of an overlap there. No doubt largely meaningless, but still kind of amusing!

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Everytime one of these thread pops up, I always think a Tactics version of the said game would be better. I am never a huge fan of lowering a game's graphics to suit the platform, and I would rather a game built from the ground up.

I would play a lot of COD: Tactics, Doom: Tactics, Prey: Tactics ect...

That top-down genre seems better suited to Switch IMO - even though others probably just want a good FPS.

I am a handheld only Switch guy (have never docked it), so maybe I want different things.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's basically nothing about this thread that's unique to call of duty, so you can easily take one of many other "why is game X not on switch" threads, replace the game name, rinse, and repeat. OP says they're asking for discussion but there's none to be had here because there's not much to discuss beyond generic "why game no switch".

That being said, lack of anything beyond extremely basic online features might be why games like this are passing on switch.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Thread Whining: The Post

The reason is to not derail other threads. OP is trying to make a discussion about this.

The "portbegging" hate this site has is pretty weird. I do agree the rules are inconsistent, mods locked up a Castlevania thread because of people asking, fairly, why it was skipping Switch, but they let even more "portbegging" in the Katamari thread with people asking for a PS4 version. If a mod is reading this, I would like some answer about this.
Pretty curious about this too.

So you suspect that if it is "derailing" an existing thread it is bad, but if it is a dedicated port begging thread it is fine? Now I am confused.

And honestly, I don't consider talking about ports bad or derailing. Not near as derailing as when people start arguing over which console port of an existing game is better because their console of choice is the best thing ever. That can just throw any thread completely off the rails.

Maybe just because 99% of port requests these days are for Switch, and the mods are simply annoyed by it plain and simple? Who knows, I would love clarification too.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We got the market leader of battle royales, Fortnite, and you want to play a game from a franchise that is trying to catch up to that game.

Pretty curious about this too.

So you suspect that if it is "derailing" an existing thread it is bad, but if it is a dedicated port begging thread it is fine? Now I am confused.

And honestly, I don't consider talking about ports bad or derailing. Not near as derailing as when people start arguing over which console port of an existing game is better because their console of choice is the best thing ever. That can just throw any thread completely off the rails.

Maybe just because 99% of port requests these days are for Switch, and the mods are simply annoyed by it plain and simple? Who knows, I would love clarification too.

According to the general FAQ:

Port-begging: Every time here is a new and popular third party game, people often 'beg' for ports of that game for their favorite hardware by either derailing threads or creating new threads. It's not always easy to determine where the line is between harmless speculation and port begging, but generally port begging refers to comments that are disruptive to an existing discussion, fuel for console wars, or completely without substantive basis. Please do not make such posts or threads. If no platforms are announced, speculation about the platforms generally does not qualify as port begging.

Last edited:

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I bought the Switch precisely because I don't care about CoD. I like Nintendo games and indies. I'm sure I'm missing some great games, but I don't feel the need to play every great game. Though I've kind long given up on AAA games in general, so im probably not the best person to respond to an honest desire for CoD. I'm just surprised that somebody would own a Switch and still be looking for that kind of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.