• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Hey all, sorry for the lengthy title, but I couldn't think of anything more clever to use.

However, apparently NMS on Steam now supports Dualsense's adaptive triggers WIRELESSLY.

For those of you who don't know, in other games, you can use your Dualsense wirelessly but without the adaptive triggers or haptics. If you want those features, you have to use it wired.

Apparently though, Hello Games got it to work wirelessly, by I assume using Steam Input over Sony's implementation.

Fingers crossed that other Devs or DualsenseX can implement this somehow.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, wireless? That's really cool.
Is it actually doing that through Steam Input? I didn't know Valve added support for the adaptive triggers. I know that for most games, you have to turn off Steam Input to get the Dualsense to be recognized properly.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why this isn't the case for all games with native Dualsense support. Just seems like such an arbitrary restriction.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if I could ditch DS4Windows but seems like I need it for many other games to work...

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
That's awesome. At least we know that it's possible to do without having to use an additional usb dongle.

I'll finally bite the bullet and get a dualsense once Sony supports it wirelessly for their games.

OP
OP
mountainmohawk
Oct 28, 2017
A user on the Steam Forums mentioned a brief disconnect over several hours of playing, so it may not be perfect yet.

I also saw that Dualsense Edge has full remapping support for the back and profile selection buttons in the Steam beta client.

Seems like Valve might be picking up Sony's slack.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Steam UI has adaptive trigger support? What?

Can I like hop on Steam and make profiles that use adaptive trigger features for any game myself?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
do you?
so far every game i played via steam (be it native or added as an .exe) has been working just fine with my (wired) DS4
I'm using wireless DS5 so maybe that is why.

I was a little surprised coming from steam deck where it just sort of works (DS5 exclusive features aside).

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see Steam getting better DualSense support over time but my dream is that this kind of support extends to games outside of Steam. Only then will I finally be able to drop the Xbox controller.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
A user on the Steam Forums mentioned a brief disconnect over several hours of playing, so it may not be perfect yet.

I also saw that Dualsense Edge has full remapping support for the back and profile selection buttons in the Steam beta client.

Seems like Valve might be picking up Sony's slack.
Hopefully Sony's response to this is to keep letting Steam Input be able to handle this. I'd be hella hyped if we suddenly started getting patches for PlayStation's own games to add support for Steam Input, then I can put the select button where it belongs.

Hopefully they don't pull an Xbox;
h9klc6xn18da1.png

OP
OP
mountainmohawk
Oct 28, 2017
Steam UI has adaptive trigger support? What?

Can I like hop on Steam and make profiles that use adaptive trigger features for any game myself?

No, it seems like Hello Games got the adaptive triggers to work wirelessly. Normally you would have to be connected via USB.

What you are asking about, you would want to look into DSX. It allows you to create haptic and adaptive trigger features for non-supported games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812620/DSX/

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
I'm using wireless DS5 so maybe that is why.

I was a little surprised coming from steam deck where it just sort of works (DS5 exclusive features aside).
ah gotcha
maybe somethign related to the bluetooth stack of windows? i had a very bad experience with it and my xbox one controller and bluetooth >.<
(could explain why it works better on steam deck, linux and bluetooth peripherlas have been much more reliable and stable in my experience)

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
Wait, so the controller is updated to work wirelessly with DS features on PC? That wasn't possible before, only with cable.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Looking through the update notes for Steam's beta branch, I don't see anything about adaptive triggers on there. I do see that they added full remapping to the Dualsense Edge's back paddles, so maybe I'll buy one at some point.

I have a Dualsense and No Man's Sky, so when I get home I'll see if it really is Steam Input that's handling it or if there's something else that's doing this.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Would be nice if I could ditch DS4Windows but seems like I need it for many other games to work...
Mine seems to works great for all Steam games. I also used a DS4 from 2016-2020 or so without ever installing DS4Windows either. What features does it add that Steam Input doesn't already take care of?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mine seems to works great for all Steam games. I also used a DS4 from 2016-2020 or so without ever installing DS4Windows either. What features does it add that Steam Input doesn't already take care of?
It adds the feature that my controller works with Genshin Impact. Without it, it doesn't work at all, whether I launch the game from steam or not. And over the course of troubleshooting that, I found a few more games that didn't work with it either. But after installing DS4Windows everything is playing nice.

Not saying I don't have something wrong on the steam side but if I need some utility to get it working on certain games I might as well need it for all of them.

OP
OP
mountainmohawk
Oct 28, 2017
So just had a chance to test it and can confirm that is is functional, if not a bit unreliable. Wireless adaptive triggers work (it felt awesome taking off in my ship), but at some point the controller will become unresponsive across all of Steam.

The only fix for the controller to start working again is to completely restart Steam. Reading the Steam forums, this seems to be a widespread issue with the game right now, and not just the Dualsense. Hopefully it is fixed soon, so I can test out the wireless features more.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Preliminary findings; I am getting the adaptive trigger effects when using the controller over bluetooth. They only happen when using certain weapons.
This would have to be done via Steam Input, since from what I can tell NMS doesn't support the Dualsense on its own. Disabling Steam Input just has the controller not do anything, wired or wireless. So that's hella fuckin' cool!