• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Huge NMH fan, definitely in and excited, even if there isn't substantial "normal" sections.

Might try to go blackout. You know there will be some surprises.

And yeah, probably some jankiness, and some kickass bosses. And Jeane.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Having never played a NMH game before, this looks like a TON of fun. But it sounds like it's also drastically different from the other games so I can understand the disappointment of getting a spinoff over a proper sequel, even if there is a greater story mode outside of just the games.

I wonder if they'll port over the original game or two before it comes out, maybe they're working on it in secret like Doom and Skyrim (IE Skyrim being announced first and then Doom outta nowhere gets announced after AND comes out before the game they announced first), they announce the new game and it comes out around the end of the year but at E3 they drop the bomb that the other games are coming out in the fall or something to get everyone hyped up.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm into it. It might not play like old NMH most of the game it looks like, but the gameplay I see looks a lot like Furi and I love that combat movement.

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
It says a lot that Lollipop Chainsaw is Suda's best selling game. His stuff has never been fine tuned or even consistent in quality.

Im shocked NMH even got another game at all after the original because i always thought NMH1 was janky as fuck with a boring overworld. Characters carried this series.

People are kinda sad its not NMH3 because NMH2 was a good sequel with needed changes.
I'm one of the few who totally agrees with this. The original NMH'so open world was like running around the world in the DS port of Flower Sin and Rain....boring AF.

But yeah, easily it's the bosses/characters that carry this series, and Travis Strikes again....if not impressive on any other level to folk, still looks to have an incredible cast of outlandish characters...which is really one of the IP's strongest sells for me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It says a lot that Lollipop Chainsaw is Suda's best selling game. His stuff has never been fine tuned or even consistent in quality.

Im shocked NMH even got another game at all after the original because i always thought NMH1 was janky as fuck with a boring overworld. Characters carried this series.

People are kinda sad its not NMH3 because NMH2 was a good sequel with needed changes.
NMH2 was an ungraceful sequel that divided the fan base pretty harshly. Any reasons to be hyped about a new game in the series predominantly boils down to the novelty of it's gameplay and the appeal of it's characters - things that No More Heroes already did, and in most ways did better. The main thing that also made a new NMH such an appealing concept and a big deal among fans is that Suda is actually directing it for a change, something he didn't do when it came to NMH2.

Edonista

Oct 31, 2017
It's looking even worse than what I was originally expecting after the indie games collaboration thing was announced.
I'm looking forward to The 25th Ward but I will have to pass on this.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
But this is just one from eight games in it, right? They've said there's racing game for example. So I assume this top-down beat'em up is just one world?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's so appalling about it, it looks like NMH hack n slash gameplay but with a zoomed out camera

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You sound like a caricature at this point. Maybe consider stepping away instead of being part of the negative toxic behavior people associate with our hobby.
Very convincing argument. Maybe you should take a nap and come back when you actually want to engage a conversation instead of putting fingers in your ears and flinging insults like a small child

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

Suda had little to no involvement in NMH2, sadly. He mostly had a concept in mind. It had moments of Sudaishness(the meetings with Sylvia), but overall it didn't have any of the original's satirical wit.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the style of the NMH games and this is no exception. The jagged edges of a Suda 51 game are a pro as far as I'm concerned. It reminds me of low budget, no holding back, independent movies. It's very punk rock. Like Repo Man or Jodorowsky. Jankiness works in his games for whatever reason. Style goes a long way.

I wish Suda would talk more about his involvement in NMH2. Everyone always likes to say he had nothing to do with it, but he is credited as Executive Director. That at least indicates more involvement than an Executive Producer, and EPs in videogames can have a big influence on the game. And he loves Travis Touchdown. I find it hard to believe he just let everyone do whatever they wanted without any input from him. I mean Suda's favorite movie is Paris Texas and NMH2 clearly takes a lot from that movie.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think it's perfectly fine to be questioning what we've seen so far, but how in the hell are there people in this thread seemingly passing final judgement on the game after having seen less than one minute of mashed together out of context gameplay?

Amazing.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Don't quite understand all the negativity in here. It definitely doesn't lack style and visual flair, and I think it's a little early to be dismissing the gameplay. And even then I fail to see what's so awful about it. Is it just not what you expected??

The six "games" in one structure, each with different gameplay mechanics (as it appears) and objectives is actually quite interesting to me, especially since each of them seems to have some meat to it, and there's a story mode as well. It's not just minigames, guys.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
NMH1's minigames were terrible, repetitive messes that do not hold up at all.

At least this looks like it has a lot of visual diversity and is trying new things. Success or failure, I'm sure it'll be a weird and fun romp.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Grasshopper is busy with online campaigns for Let it Die because GungHo owns Grasshopper.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I hope Grasshopper does what Platinum did with Bayonetta and releases a NMH HD collection of 1 & 2 along with Strikes Again.

I also hope there's a NMH3 with the traditional gameplay and behind the back view. Not really a fan of top down games. Reminds me a little of Cannon Spike.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
At least they were smart enough not to call this NMH3.

But then again, if this top down spin-off that nobody asked for doesn't sell, there will never be a NMH3.

Poor Sylvia.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. So this is a mini game compilation of sorts ala smash tv top view style gameplay?
The game is a hack 'n slash but it's not a "minigame compilation"; it's that the levels are literally video games that Travis enters and they're all based on a certain genre. If you look at the portion of the footage that includes a chunk of the level doing a flip, presumably the puzzle game, Travis is still running around in it with a beam katana while enemies are spawning.

Consider the levels "themes" more than anything. People are misreading on the terminology when the concept of the game is meant to be a literal case of applying Travis' destructive plow-through-everything mentality onto games that might not even have anything to do with it.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

But then again, if this top down spin-off that nobody asked for doesn't sell, there will never be a NMH3.

Poor Sylvia.

I don't really like this "nobody asked for" mentality. We should be encouraging devs making what they want instead of catering to the consumer every single time. I'm sure Suda is excited to be doing this. Let the dude spread his wings.

Besides camera is just that camera. If you changed the camera to top down in NMH 1 and 2 it would be the same game. Is being able to see Travis's ass really that important? LOL

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Poor Sylvia.
I would like a new mainline No More Heroes but more than that I would want a Suda-directed game. TSA ain't the former but it's certainly the latter, which is infinitely more exciting.

To me it's the difference between getting a delicious chocolate brownie or a big bag of chips. One will force me to slow down so I can savor it, because it won't last long and will probably leave me wanting more, but it's delicious and makes me feel fulfilled and content for having it. The other gives me a kick at the start, but after a while I just grow numb and keep reaching for more despite not really wanting it, and I end up feeling like a gross slob.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
The game is a hack 'n slash but it's not a "minigame compilation"; it's that the levels are literally video games that Travis enters and they're all based on a certain genre. If you look at the portion of the footage that includes a chunk of the level doing a flip, presumably the puzzle game, Travis is still running around in it with a beam katana while enemies are spawning.

Consider the levels "themes" more than anything. People are misreading on the terminology when the concept of the game is meant to be a literal case of applying Travis' destructive plow-through-everything mentality onto games that might not even have anything to do with it.
Cool. I am excited to see more. He always excels at creating fresh new styles and great throwbacks to games rooted in 8-bit times.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

I think those claiming this to be a minigame compilation are taking the talk of the "seven different game titles" in there too literally (although Grasshopper should also be clearing this confusion up). In addition to what you said, when the Direct talked about chaining attacks and stuff, they phrased it like they were talking about the entire game rather than just one of the worlds. It's all going to be the same basic gameplay, with each world having its own twist.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
They had me at "No More Heroes" and "Suda 51." Though the style of gameplay doesn't grab me as much as the original No More Heroes (and honestly, that's just a lot to do with the aesthetic preference of camera placement), I love Suda, I love indies, I love Travis, and if there's a series that should go hand-in-hand with wacky experimentation, it's this one. I. Am. In.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I'm still buying this day one for the Suda 51 edginess that I expect and to have it portable. The initial disappoint has worn off for me, the more I watch the trailer, the better the game looks. I think it just doesn't show well the first time you watch it. I'm excited for a more fully fleshed out co-op experience on the Switch as well.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I'm down. It sounded like it was more or less a budget title from the get go. The style around it is enough to have me hyped.

Hope to see some Uncle Death cameos.

Jan 11, 2018
This and Yoshi are the two announced Switch games I'm looking forward to most this year. Talk about polar opposites! Would I have preferred a fully fledged NMH 3? Obviously. But a Suda directed spinoff is a million times better than nothing. I'll be playing this shit out of this game for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Man known for subverting expectations subverts expectations.

I am down to play this.

Its been sooo long since Suda directed.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's perfectly fine to be questioning what we've seen so far, but how in the hell are there people in this thread seemingly passing final judgement on the game after having seen less than one minute of mashed together out of context gameplay?

Amazing.

Its hilarious honestly. Hypobolic gamers all over the place

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Poor Sylvia.
Oh look you being negative. What else is new? Nobody asks for a lot of stuff because gamers don't know what they want. So give me a break with that.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think visually this is the best No More Heroes yet these games always had fantastic characters designs but the world itself was pretty bland.

Gameplay looks fast and fun. Love top down hack and slashes so I'm excited.

I understand some disappointment but I feel like some people are dismissing this way to quick.

Never mind this being the first game Suda has directed in a looooooonnnnggg time, which alone makes it pretty special.

Also Travis is rocking that purple jacket.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the footage of the Direct on the Switch screen, the game visually pops very well. And obviously this goes without saying considering the type of game it is but it's at 60 fps, so if nothing else we at least have an NMH game that's well optimized.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks great. I like how they told us from the jump that it would be a mini game collection. No disappointment. I need a NMH 1+2 HD Switch collection though.

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Very convincing argument. Maybe you should take a nap and come back when you actually want to engage a conversation instead of putting fingers in your ears and flinging insults like a small child
I mean, if anyone has their fingers in their ears, it is you. Oh no, Suda 51 did something you didn't expect, and based on a 1 minute trailer that shows 90% of one of the "game worlds" and only 10% of the other content in the game, including showing off 2 seconds of actual NOT top-down, proper NMH gameplay, and you are just crapping all over it.

I mean, really...what were you expecting from Suda? A traditional 3rd person hack and slash? A traditional anything? You clearly aren't even a fan of his work, so why are you even bothering to comment on it? I don't really like Coronation Street, but I am not going to find a thread on a forum about it just to whine like a willfully ignorant baby.

Some folk just love spreading negativity and toxicity. I feel like the anonymity of the internet makes some people just the worst.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
including showing off 2 seconds of actual NOT top-down, proper NMH gameplay
I mean, I hope you're right but at this point it's wishful thinking, at best we see we might be able to run through corridor style areas, absolutely nothing hints at having "proper" NMH gameplay as you call it. Hell, to me it seems like Travis just behaves the exact same way as he does in the more top-down sections and it's just a camera shift in that part, possibly even as just an introduction to the level or other intermission, rather than something that will replace the hectic arcadey combat seen there with something closer to NMH1&2. I would think that if this game included that kind of combat in any capacity then it'd also be part of the bosses but we see none of it here. Until otherwise shown I wouldn't hope that the meat of the experience will look very different to what's most prominently shown in this trailer. You're acting like if this was NMH2 then the trailer would be just of the side job 2D retro mini games and people are judging it based on that when reality so far seems to be very different, we're seeing the meat of the game and there may or there may not be some more traditional NMH1&2 style side content to that. Again, I'd love for your assumption to be proven right by the time the next trailer or other information about the game hit the internet but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath. If that doesn't happen as you hope, will you then join the hate bandwagon though? Personally, I like what I've seen of the game, it looks fun in a simple arcade game kind of way, I do love arcade games personally, the good ones obviously, but I was hoping at least the boss fights would be "proper" NMH since we've not had a NMH game in so long and I quite liked fighting its bosses and that's not shown to be the case (as at least one boss fight is in the trailer and it's also top-down). Yet.

Last edited:

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I hope you're right but at this point it's wishful thinking, at best we see we might be able to walk through a corridor, absolutely nothing hints at having "proper" NMH gameplay as you call it. I would think that if this game included it in any capacity then it'd also be part of the bosses but we see none of it. Until otherwise shown I wouldn't hope that the meat of the experience will look very different to what's most prominently shown in this trailer. You're acting like if this was NMH2 then the trailer would be just of the side job 2D retro mini games and people are judging it based on that when reality so far seems to be very different, we're seeing the meat of the game and there may or there may not be some more traditional NMH style side content to that. Again I'd love for your assumption to be proven right by the time the next trailer of info of the game hit the net but I wouldn't hold my breath. Again, I like what I've seen of the game, it looks fun in a simple arcade game kind of way, but I was hoping at least the boss fights would be "proper" NMH and that's not shown to be the case. Yet.

It's not wishful thinking to expect 7 different ways of playing
But probably no one will be a classic nmh
Boss battle melee attacks will, on the other hand

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
NMH's combat was entirely perfunctory and I could not give the slightest shit about them ditching it for this game, particularly given that they said it'd be a spinoff from the jump.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Better quality video than the OP from Nintendo Japan by the way. Dunno why other Nintendos didn't put this (and the other trailers separated from the full Direct) in their channels.

It's not wishful thinking to expect 7 different ways of playing
But probably no one will be a classic nmh
Boss battle melee attacks will, on the other hand
Well it also remains to be seen how different those 7 ways are. I mean, when the trailer narrator says "puzzle" and Travis is navigating some pipes or something controls seem to be the same and it's also top-down but the focus in that part is clearly not on fighting enemies but navigating or whatever instead, possibly without falling off in that instance which could be tricky with that kind of speedy hectic gameplay shown. We also see him in a further-away top-down mode as he navigates what seems to resemble the open world bits of the first game but again it seems to control the same as the other parts. I guess that weird TravisMobile shown does hint at a more different part of the gameplay if we get to use it.

We'll see. I really like what I've seen of it either way, I just don't think it will scratch the NMH itch in gameplay, only in style and substance, so it's ok to be disappointed if you liked NMH gameplay (I did, loved the boss fights).

Last edited:

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really liking how it looks and I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

How come it isn't NMH3? I mean, what makes it not 3? Is there a Suda interview?

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I mean, I hope you're right but at this point it's wishful thinking, at best we see we might be able to run through corridor style areas, absolutely nothing hints at having "proper" NMH gameplay as you call it. Hell, to me it seems like Travis just behaves the exact same way as he does in the more top-down sections and it's just a camera shift in that part, possibly even as just an introduction to the level or other intermission, rather than something that will replace the hectic arcadey combat seen there with something closer to NMH1&2. I would think that if this game included that kind of combat in any capacity then it'd also be part of the bosses but we see none of it here. Until otherwise shown I wouldn't hope that the meat of the experience will look very different to what's most prominently shown in this trailer. You're acting like if this was NMH2 then the trailer would be just of the side job 2D retro mini games and people are judging it based on that when reality so far seems to be very different, we're seeing the meat of the game and there may or there may not be some more traditional NMH1&2 style side content to that. Again, I'd love for your assumption to be proven right by the time the next trailer or other information about the game hit the internet but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath. If that doesn't happen as you hope, will you then join the hate bandwagon though? Personally, I like what I've seen of the game, it looks fun in a simple arcade game kind of way, I do love arcade games personally, the good ones obviously, but I was hoping at least the boss fights would be "proper" NMH since we've not had a NMH game in so long and I quite liked fighting its bosses and that's not shown to be the case (as at least one boss fight is in the trailer and it's also top-down). Yet.
I really don't think it is wishful thinking, I think that the 7 death drive games will obviously have connective tissue for the story mode, and that will take some form that clearly we have not really been shown yet.

Also, I am already sold on this game, I have a lot of faith in Suda 51 to deliver, so my ability to be disappointed in his efforts...well, he would actually have to try to deliver bad gameplay ( which I suspect he did in Flower Sun and Rain with the whole "walking" aspect.) to create a bad game, and from what I have seen so far, even if this was all there was, I would still be thrilled with this game.

Also, thank you for the higher resolution trailer!! I was wondering why the heck everything they were showing was only 720p.

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Sorry for the double post, but as this is completely unrelated to my previous post...i am hoping it is ok.

So new stuff on Travis Strikes Again from Famitsu
https://translate.google.ca/transla...tsu.com/news/201803/19153900.html&prev=search

A new trailer was just screened at hoppers, hopefully we get to see a version of it at tomorrow's Direct.

There is a new book about Suda 51/Grasshopper being published in May

And finally, a Travis Touchdown action figure is coming this year from Molecule 8, who make insane figures with full metal skeletons. Apparently the figure comes with a ton of costume options...very suiting for Travis who loves to wear a ton of shit.
https://molecule8.com/

OP
OP
jmizzal

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but as this is completely unrelated to my previous post...i am hoping it is ok.

So new stuff on Travis Strikes Again from Famitsu
https://translate.google.ca/transla...tsu.com/news/201803/19153900.html&prev=search

A new trailer was just screened at hoppers, hopefully we get to see a version of it at tomorrow's Direct.

There is a new book about Suda 51/Grasshopper being published in May

And finally, a Travis Touchdown action figure is coming this year from Molecule 8, who make insane figures with full metal skeletons. Apparently the figure comes with a ton of costume options...very suiting for Travis who loves to wear a ton of shit.
https://molecule8.com/

Suda posted on twitter that he was on his way to GDC, so we will def get some new info tomorrow or just during GDC.

I think now that Silver Case is out he will start the Travis Strikes Again push, I just want a release date