• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
feel like they did the game a disservice by marketing it as an ARPG, even if it technically does fit the term. the people expecting a Diablo or PoE experience are gonna bounce off, and the people who would be into an isometric soulslike would not get that impression from a generic ARPG label.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
The game is a soulsborne? I was interested until I heard rumblings that it was one. Just not in the mood for something along those lines even though the game looks beautiful.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Update, it runs OK on the Ally. I'm playing plugged in, so 30W Turbo. Getting consistent 35-45 fps using the default settings and 900p resolution (vsync off). Some cutscenes have dipped to the 20s but that seems to be consistent across most devices. I have gotten some random stutters when attacking or interacting with things.

Game is definitely early access. Needs a lot of work. It's slow and clunky and really just not very fun yet. I'll keep playing it though.
Good to know your impressions. I'll probably buy it today or tomorrow, seems like a good game to follow the early access development. Running ok on the Ally is already a good quality

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
feel like they did the game a disservice by marketing it as an ARPG, even if it technically does fit the term. the people expecting a Diablo or PoE experience are gonna bounce off, and the people who would be into an isometric soulslike would not get that impression from a generic ARPG label.
yeah I agree, especially because the ARPG community is super toxic, bad call there
from interviews I gather they really wanted to "revolutionize the genre" because it did not evolve that much since Diablo 2, but this is "just" a topdown soulslike. which is not bad at all, mind you, but don't market this like this is going to be what Diablo/POE/Last Epoch players crave, it's something different

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I thought this was going to be a PoE/Diablo/Grim Dawn competitor. Hearing it's a Souls-like is eh. I love Souls games, but FromSoft already covers me well there.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing twitch streamers get frustrated with the difficulty is when I realized I'll have to sit this out and see how they balance it.

It's way way more soulslike than diablo. I do like that you're seemingly not limited on healing items though (unless I missed something). So there may be ways to grind that and pop healing a lot for tough fights.

The games art and graphics looks incredible though.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
It's been three hours and I'm enjoying it immensely. At the moment there is a certain sense of deja vu because I just killed the first boss and, so far, everything has been the playtest area that was seen playing streamers.

The game is definitely Soulslike with all that that entails. I think some people still think of Diablo, PoE or Last Epoch and the gameplay couldn't be more different: it's slow, every enemy is a challenge, there's platforming and a lot of exploration and, in general, it's quite punishing (although much less than the usual Soulslike ones).

Artistically it's superb and the gamefeel is great. Everything feels punchy and satisfying. The only thing in that aspect that has left me cold (I use a lot this expression, as a direct translation of my language, and I don't know if it makes any sense), so far, is the soundtrack. Maybe it's that I miss Gareth Cooker but coming from his unforgettable BSO for the Ori, it's impossible not to. By the way, the game has a small easter egg related to said BSO. And it's true that the performance is improvable and there are quite a few small problems with textures, untranslated texts (I don't play in English), etc. Nothing serious, for the moment.

For the moment, the only thing that has not convinced me is a small detail of how the progression works. Small spoiler for those who have killed the first boss.

The fact that increasing the inventory space (having to choose between them) and equipable items is linked to killing bosses doesn't convince me.

First, because you have to choose between very different options such as carrying one more ring or having 5 more spaces for ingredients. And, second, because I was expecting that to be one of the uses of the crafting system.
I'm not interested in this being a Diablo or POE, but does it have compelling loot and skills that promote build variety?

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
Game's great but this definitely set false expectations for aRPG players so I don't blame anyone for being a little disappointed.

View: https://twitter.com/thomasmahler/status/1628379708671901698
If anything, this just gets me more excited for Path of Exile 2 because it's going in a similar direction with combat being slower and having more movement/weight behind it, just way more build variety, loot and procgen.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I refunded. No ill will or grand disappointment. But it's not "there" yet. And I know, Early Access, but I've been sitting here mulling over how much "protection" from critical thought that affords you when your game costs money.

Again, not a word of this is said with even a hint of anger or dissatisfaction. It's just not something in a playable/desirable place "for me" yet.

But I'm SUPER interested in where/how it develops and want it to be good and something I play one day.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Game's great but this definitely set false expectations for aRPG players so I don't blame anyone for being a little disappointed.

View: https://twitter.com/thomasmahler/status/1628379708671901698
If anything, this just gets me more excited for Path of Exile 2 because it's going in a similar direction with combat being slower and having more movement/weight behind it, just way more build variety, loot and procgen.

yeah I'm really not sure how they expected this to compete with Diablo and PoE when it doesn't even feel like it's targeting the same audience

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
yeah I agree, especially because the ARPG community is super toxic, bad call there
from interviews I gather they really wanted to "revolutionize the genre" because it did not evolve that much since Diablo 2, but this is "just" a topdown soulslike. which is not bad at all, mind you, but don't market this like this is going to be what Diablo/POE/Last Epoch players crave, it's something different
Super toxic? Really? IIn what way?

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Oh it's soulslike? All interest killed. Thought it was Diablo like

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
Just put 40 min in after work and I really like it - it has enough Dark Souls to feel like good, grounded, weighty combat (I see a few folks above thought it was "floaty" which is something I really dislike in my games, but I did not get that sensation playing it?) that felt really good. The game looks great, and the setting is interesting but I skipped every cutscene and am just here to play - story and journal entries and etc. are for when the game goes live.

I'm also playing with daggers, found a pair right away in a breakable door leading to a chest, and I have "fast" encumbrance which is really nice and feels good. I hit level 2 and the game doesn't feel hard or anything, and it didn't seem like enemies respawned when you "saved" at a Whisper thingy? I saved and didn't see anything right away, but I also stopped playing to get bite to eat.

Performance is great - I have it on Ultra (whatever they call it here) and I'm pulling in around 70-80fps with a 4080RTX (i9 9900K still, I'll upgrade it next month, but unlike Dragon's Dogma 2 this doesn't seem like a CPU intensive game). This is 3440x1440p resolution.

Couple of observations:

I like the Tools system - hatches to collecting wood, shovesl to dig up treasure, fishing pole to collect... uh, fish, I presume. Nice system. Crafting in general seems good and intersting (and key - simple and easy).

I find Souls games to be a little intense - scary, sometimes - and here I don't feel that at all and I think it's because of the isometric perspective. You can see all around you, nothing is sneaking up on you, for example.

I'm also terrible at parrying/dodging in games in Souls games (part of why Sekiro was such a tough nut for me) but here it's a lot easier and I'm pulling off some great gameplay with parries and dodges, it feels good. Again, I attribute this to the isometric view.

Unlike Souls games, death feels more forgiving here - you don't lose XP (you gain levels like a tradional RPG so your currency is just that - used for buying items presumably at some point, not used for buying stats - and you don't lose it on death and have to retrieve it) and enemies you killed are still dead when you resume your journey. You just lose some durability on your gear is all. Much more casual, for anyone that is avoiding this for not playing/enjoying Souls games.

Last edited:

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
loving what I've been playing so far (roughly 4 hours) and curious how much more it opens up 👀 the gameplay loop, voice acting, art style, and exploring have been lovely so far

immy

Jul 3, 2022
Unpopular take but this bums me out so much. Love the aesthetic and how it looks in screenshots etc so much, everything about the game visually looks incredible, but there's nothing more disappointing to me than hearing a game is a soulslike.
Agree 100%, will be skipping this

Volken

Sep 18, 2022
Yeah I was in with the visuals but was out as soon as the souls combat showed up in the trailer.

No thanks.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
What is it about Soulslikes that has everyone rushing to let you know they don't like them?

Sangral