• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
feel like they did the game a disservice by marketing it as an ARPG, even if it technically does fit the term. the people expecting a Diablo or PoE experience are gonna bounce off, and the people who would be into an isometric soulslike would not get that impression from a generic ARPG label.

That's odd, because it looked exactly like a Soulslike to me from the very first preview, despite many outlets claiming it's a new "Diablo" type of game. The Souls games are ARPGs as well.

Was interested in this, but I am going to hold off until the full release. There are a lot of complaints about the context exploration with run, jump and dodge all being tied to the same button, the durability system being one of the worst in ages, and the seemingly non-reactivity of enemies getting hit, which makes fighting multiple enemies a nightmare.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
diablo 1 and 2
shadows awakening
van helsing games
victor vran
sacred
dungeon siege
snowblind games
early divinity games
vikings wolves of midgard

maybe depending if they count to you:

gauntlet (2014)
bastion

There's more, and some of them still deal with loot in some manner, but many are puzzle, or story focused with loot as a small part.

Can't speak to many on this list, but relevant:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ARPG/comments/du5gv7/big_list_of_arpgs/
Thanks for the list. I've played Sacred and Dungeon Siege games, and they do perfectly fit what you described. I wish there are more games like them, ARPG with more focused on RPG and narrative.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
You lose durability, so I guess eventually the problem will be your gear breaks and you need to go to the blacksmith. Otherwise it takes you back to the "checkpoint" you last activated, the checkpoints(I can't remember what the game calls them they're like a glowing blue light) are kind of like this games "bonfires" in that they're fast travel points too, but they don't restore health or respawn enemies (not unless you fast travel).

Ok, that doesn't seem too bad, interesting for sure. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2017
feel like they did the game a disservice by marketing it as an ARPG, even if it technically does fit the term. the people expecting a Diablo or PoE experience are gonna bounce off, and the people who would be into an isometric soulslike would not get that impression from a generic ARPG label.

I mean... It is an action RPG game. The fact that it's isometric or "soulslike" doesn't change that.

Black Soma

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought a key on DLGamer. Never ordered there, but they seem to be an official reseller. The game was priced 15.90 euros, which was tempting but I should have known better. I activated the key and it was for a game called Goons: Legends & Mayhem. Now I'm waiting for them to reply back lol

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's odd, because it looked exactly like a Soulslike to me from the very first preview, despite many outlets claiming it's a new "Diablo" type of game. The Souls games are ARPGs as well.

Was interested in this, but I am going to hold off until the full release. There are a lot of complaints about the context exploration with run, jump and dodge all being tied to the same button, the durability system being one of the worst in ages, and the seemingly non-reactivity of enemies getting hit, which makes fighting multiple enemies a nightmare.

I mean Mahler himself compared it to Diablo in his own words, I don't think it's unfair to hold them to that when comparing what it does/doesn't do vs. those games.

I mean... It is an action RPG game. The fact that it's isometric or "soulslike" doesn't change that.

It's semantics. The whole reason "soulslike" was invented as a term was because ARPG does not adequately differentiate those games from the rest of the marketplace. It's the same conversation as JRPG vs. "an RPG made in Japan". Just because something technically fits the definition of a thing doesn't mean that people colloquially refer to it as that thing.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Game's great but this definitely set false expectations for aRPG players so I don't blame anyone for being a little disappointed.

View: https://twitter.com/thomasmahler/status/1628379708671901698
If anything, this just gets me more excited for Path of Exile 2 because it's going in a similar direction with combat being slower and having more movement/weight behind it, just way more build variety, loot and procgen.

yeah I'm really not sure how they expected this to compete with Diablo and PoE when it doesn't even feel like it's targeting the same audience
This is from before it was even revealed so maybe they had pivoted on the design of the game. What was the marketing of the style of this game outside of that tweet and the camera perspective? I feel like I knew it was a Soulslike after the official reveal or at least when people got to show off/preview a demo. I will say it does have a lot of ARPG mechanics that seem to go at odds with Soulslike ones.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Are enemies spongy as shit in this game or am I just mad because bad?

The acronym "ARPG", despite ostensibly being short for "Action RPG", is often used to refer to isometric loot-based games like Diablo instead of Action RPGs in general.

Genre delineation and nomenclature is weird, man.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is from before it was even revealed so maybe they had pivoted on the design of the game. What was the marketing of the style of this game outside of that tweet and the camera perspective? I feel like I knew it was a Soulslike after the official reveal or at least when people got to show off/preview a demo. I will say it does have a lot of ARPG mechanics that seem to go at odds with Soulslike ones.

This was a preview from a month ago, so clearly the misconception carried further than just the initial reveal

www.tweaktown.com

No Rest for the Wicked is a gorgeous Diablo-style action-RPG from an acclaimed indie studio

From the studio behind the acclaimed Ori games, No Rest for the Wicked blends Diablo loot and action with Dark Souls combat in a visually stunning world.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Just put 40 min in after work and I really like it - it has enough Dark Souls to feel like good, grounded, weighty combat (I see a few folks above thought it was "floaty" which is something I really dislike in my games, but I did not get that sensation playing it?) that felt really good. The game looks great, and the setting is interesting but I skipped every cutscene and am just here to play - story and journal entries and etc. are for when the game goes live.

I'm also playing with daggers, found a pair right away in a breakable door leading to a chest, and I have "fast" encumbrance which is really nice and feels good. I hit level 2 and the game doesn't feel hard or anything, and it didn't seem like enemies respawned when you "saved" at a Whisper thingy? I saved and didn't see anything right away, but I also stopped playing to get bite to eat.

Performance is great - I have it on Ultra (whatever they call it here) and I'm pulling in around 70-80fps with a 4080RTX (i9 9900K still, I'll upgrade it next month, but unlike Dragon's Dogma 2 this doesn't seem like a CPU intensive game). This is 3440x1440p resolution.

Couple of observations:

I like the Tools system - hatches to collecting wood, shovesl to dig up treasure, fishing pole to collect... uh, fish, I presume. Nice system. Crafting in general seems good and intersting (and key - simple and easy).

I find Souls games to be a little intense - scary, sometimes - and here I don't feel that at all and I think it's because of the isometric perspective. You can see all around you, nothing is sneaking up on you, for example.

I'm also terrible at parrying/dodging in games in Souls games (part of why Sekiro was such a tough nut for me) but here it's a lot easier and I'm pulling off some great gameplay with parries and dodges, it feels good. Again, I attribute this to the isometric view.

Unlike Souls games, death feels more forgiving here - you don't lose XP (you gain levels like a tradional RPG so your currency is just that - used for buying items presumably at some point, not used for buying stats - and you don't lose it on death and have to retrieve it) and enemies you killed are still dead when you resume your journey. You just lose some durability on your gear is all. Much more casual, for anyone that is avoiding this for not playing/enjoying Souls games.
Thanks for this. I think I'm in a very similar mindset as you, and this is a lot of what I wanted to hear. I'm really glad that you don't have to worry about losing XP on death.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
This was a preview from a month ago, so clearly the misconception carried further than just the initial reveal

www.tweaktown.com

No Rest for the Wicked is a gorgeous Diablo-style action-RPG from an acclaimed indie studio

From the studio behind the acclaimed Ori games, No Rest for the Wicked blends Diablo loot and action with Dark Souls combat in a visually stunning world.
I mean even that preview says it has Souls style combat. But sure, other parts of the game such as the loot and town are still more ARPG oriented.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Mahler himself compared it to Diablo in his own words, I don't think it's unfair to hold them to that when comparing what it does/doesn't do vs. those games.

Right, I thought he also did--which might have been the biggest contributor to the confusion--but didn't want to misquote him since I wasn't sure.

Regardless, what they actually showed didn't look anything like a Diablo game to me.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Looks absolutely incredible, im sure theyll improve on the way it actually plays down the line too

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a game that could be great, unique, and well-loved that is currently in EA and has warts. Cool! Hope the EA gives them lots of constructive feedback so they can make it awesome.

I would try it out, but the Steam Deck performance is apparently pretty bad rn, so I can wait. Will follow the updates and jump in when it's nice and cooked.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Played up to Sacrament at daytime. Really enjoyed it but it's definitely an early access game. Feedback I would have:

• Due to the very low starting stamina and equip load, I felt like my first couple level ups were spent just trying to make my character not feel underpowered. A few points buff to each of these would make the early game more fun imo.
  • Fall damage seems way overtuned, which sucks because there's all sorts of sketchy traversal in the game. One wrong move and that's your ass, would very much like to see this be less of an issue. It's like Dark Souls 2 levels of punishing.
  • Animations for chopping trees down, mining ore, etc. are way too long. It should be like 1-2 swings of the weapon. Total waste of time.
  • Timers for building improvements to the town feel scummy, like why? Just make them instant.
  • Will there be a safety net for if a player completely runs out of healing items so that they don't have to grind?

fresky

May 3, 2023
Looks a bit too hard & frustrating for my taste. Really love the art style but that's about it. Just going to wait for full release but maybe they're just going for the more hardcore crowd....

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I believe pause is being added.
the team put out a post on Steam saying they intended on adding a pause option when playing solo.

That sounds great.

How about the ability to see things? My other gripe with Dark Souls was I couldn't see, and I see people complaining about being unable to see. I mean, I feel like asking to be able to see isn't asking for too much. Sekiro was great because outside of 1 small area, I could see everything clearly.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Played up to Sacrament at daytime. Really enjoyed it but it's definitely an early access game. Feedback I would have:

• Due to the very low starting stamina and equip load, I felt like my first couple level ups were spent just trying to make my character not feel underpowered. A few points buff to each of these would make the early game more fun imo.
  • Fall damage seems way overtuned, which sucks because there's all sorts of sketchy traversal in the game. One wrong move and that's your ass, would very much like to see this be less of an issue. It's like Dark Souls 2 levels of punishing.
  • Animations for chopping trees down, mining ore, etc. are way too long. It should be like 1-2 swings of the weapon. Total waste of time.
  • Timers for building improvements to the town feel scummy, like why? Just make them instant.
  • Will there be a safety net for if a player completely runs out of healing items so that they don't have to grind?
I agree with a lot of this, especially the two points I just bolded. I was surprised at how much damage the character can take for falling instead of using a ladder near the first boss

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Videos look a bit rough. Dont mind the punishing combat, but it does look too slow in the videos I saw (for my tastes). Poor durability with unforgiving stamina drain seems a bit over the top, in just observing.

Going to just hold off for now and circle back in a few months at least, and may just end up waiting for full release and decide then.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The graphics look incredible and I like the idea they have for it

Will definitely keep my eye on this games development

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Played for 30 minutes, i dig it

Performance could be better, and I don't like how there's no option to remove the stamina bar; i find it kind of distracting how it appears next to the main character

I do dig how the combat is slow and weighty, this really does feel to me like what it was described as - ARPG with Souls-y combat

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Checking out early access and one of my issues are enemies are damage sponges. In From games it only takes a couple hits in the first enemies you encounter. Even latter enemies can really be killed in a few hits: But in here it takes over 10 hits just to kill the first enemies. Now that also means it takes a lot of hits to kill you also. But they can balance the game so enemies don't take so long to kill, while making you a little more vulnerable to balance things out.

There's a lot of else I like about it though.

Edit: nvm just seems it was that opening area. Only takes a few hits for enemies after.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a crazy unique gold weapon. Crazy moveset ridiculous damage and cool skills. I am starting to get a lot of purple(cursed) gear to drop as well and stuff is getting interesting. So far my curses have been less stamina(no sir) and less xp gain lol. I'm a fat rolling STR build right now and having a blast running around the world. It's def early and needs some optimization but I love the combat and loot.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Just got a crazy unique gold weapon. Crazy moveset ridiculous damage and cool skills. I am starting to get a lot of purple(cursed) gear to drop as well and stuff is getting interesting. So far my curses have been less stamina(no sir) and less xp gain lol. I'm a fat rolling STR build right now and having a blast running around the world. It's def early and needs some optimization but I love the combat and loot.
I wasn't sure to go Dex of Str. I ended up going Dex and kind of regret it. Still the moves and the weight of everything feels really great. Even when I'm step dashing around enemies. The two-bladed back execution is amazing.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
So I bought a key on DLGamer. Never ordered there, but they seem to be an official reseller. The game was priced 15.90 euros, which was tempting but I should have known better. I activated the key and it was for a game called Goons: Legends & Mayhem. Now I'm waiting for them to reply back lol

I hate that for you. But god the title of that game fucking wrecked me. Lololol.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How much game is in there as of this moment?

Part of me wants to wait till the MP update and play it with my friend.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Is there any footage of magic builds from content creators?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
when people say "action rpg" these days, they mean a very specific kind, usually the Diablo-kind.

it is what it is.

I have always seen the Diablo styled games (primarily isometric) being labeled as ARPGs while any RPG with real-time combat has been labeled as an Action RPG. Despite both "ARPG" and "Action RPG" technically being the exact same umbrella genre, the way they are labeled is different. No idea what "these days" means either, unless you literally mean the past week.

This game kind of fits into both of those labels, yet clearly favors one more than the other.

Last edited:

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Have I hit content complete when
I get access to the rogue-like area that Elsa unlocks? haven't happened upon any other quests though the world state has changed and everything is hard again.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Gah I hate the stamina consumption rate. Everything just feels so slow and how do you farm healing items when you run out?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Definitely can't say I expected the Ori developers to design a combat system that doesn't feel good to play. Which is why this is early access so hopefully they get some good feedback.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Took longer than I care to admit to beat Warrick, the first boss. Overall I do like it, but I feel like the parry window can be a bit too tight, and I'm very much not a fan of weapon degradation.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's room for calling it an ARPG in the vein of Diablo, PoE etc. For me what defines the genre is more the progression, builds and replayability, and loot than the combat. I haven't played enough of this game to say whether it can live up to that, but I wouldn't just rule it out if the devs say that's what they're going for.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
In general I don't play Diablo like games but I got this because I love the artstyle and it's from Moon Studio (I absolutely loved Ori games). I only played maybe an hour switching between Steam Deck native and streaming on Deck from PC. To me game is ok. Judging stamina and few other things after an hour or two in RPG is always kinda stupid to me. Until progression starts to kick in you really can't judge many things. And to me game is not as punishing as Souls games and kinda not as hard as them either so calling this Souls like is bit strange to me. Overall I think that this will be absolutely awesome game when they do full release.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
That sounds great.

How about the ability to see things? My other gripe with Dark Souls was I couldn't see, and I see people complaining about being unable to see. I mean, I feel like asking to be able to see isn't asking for too much. Sekiro was great because outside of 1 small area, I could see everything clearly.
I've played about 3 hours, and haven't had an issue with visibility. I'm also playing at 1440p and on an OLED monitor. Everything that is interact-able has a visual indicator, a light glow, a spark, etc.