• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think some people need reminding this is early access.

The game is really good so far; my views don't align with some of the negativity I've seen here or in the Steam reviews. Yes, it's missing key binds and some graphical settings, which will be added alongside other features, but the core game feels very satisfying.

I was excited when they announced they were first making an ARPG because I was expecting a Diablo-like dungeon crawler, but all the early gameplay footage indicated this was going to be a methodical, heavy-hitting action game, and it plays exactly like that. I think if you go into it expecting a dungeon-crawling looter ARPG, you are going to be disappointed. If you go into it expecting a hand-crafted isometric action game with satisfying gameplay and punishing difficulty, I think you'll find something to enjoy, but hold off if you aren't prepared to play an early access experience.
Early access is not—nor should it be—a shield for all criticism.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
What I want :

- ZOOM (ideally free zoom on right stick so we can manage it ourselves), it would help greatly with the atrocious visibility

- Overhaul to durability system

- Faster access to weapons / repair etc...

- Stat reset / character appearance reset

- Rework of dark areas to make it easier to read what is happening

- Far better performance scaling (as in it should look better than this when not running maxed out at lower than 4K)

- Body customization because wtf are those goofy proportions (the important characters look more normal so our MC looks out of place)
I bolded the ones that are HUGE to me. These need some serious work. I'll also add that the base walking speed needs increased, or have the option to auto-run, or something. I feel like I'm crawling without holding A.

I don't like the durability system at all. I'm not very good at the game yet and because of that, all my equipment is basically gone, and I haven't found the guy to repair it yet.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
- Body customization because wtf are those goofy proportions (the important characters look more normal so our MC looks out of place)
I kinda dig the goofy proportions, but my big issue is the inability to choose a skin color independent of facial features. Like, it's pretty much impossible to make a south indian looking character.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This. There's so many valid reasons for pausong a game. Even something as simple as wanting to pee. I don't get why developers insist in no pause. It does not make games more challenging, it makes them tedious.
I agree. I actually had a longer post earlier but deleted it. Basically it was in response to the "play offline and go to a bonfire" thing I see a lot in Souls, and like sometimes I don't have the 30 seconds to do so and need to tend to something asap.

Or even if just being annoying for the little things, like wanting to go to the fridge and make sure you don't get hit.

Not being able to pause in a single player/offline game is dumb and I don't care how much someone will try to justify it for tension, etc. glad MH Rise had it, hope Wilds adds it too. The one thing in MH World I wish it had.

I can't imagine not being able to pause with kids/a family.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
My main issue that needs to be addressed is just removing the walk speed. It is useless.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I actually had a longer post earlier but deleted it. Basically it was in response to the "play offline and go to a bonfire" thing I see a lot in Souls, and like sometimes I don't have the 30 seconds to do so and need to tend to something asap.

Or even if just being annoying for the little things, like wanting to go to the fridge and make sure you don't get hit.

Not being able to pause in a single player/offline game is dumb and I don't care how much someone will try to justify it for tension, etc. glad MH Rise had it, hope Wilds adds it too. The one thing in MH World I wish it had.

I can't imagine not being able to pause with kids/a family.
No justification for that. Some of us have a life besides enjoying games and that comes with significant others, kids, pets, etc.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the early takes in this thread when the game launched were that the combat was clunky and the gameplay bad... were those takes wrong and/or is this game is more of a "only certain people will click with the gameplay" type of game? I'm still weighing whether I want to go in on EA before the discount ends and I'm curious if opinions are slowly changing regarding the gameplay itself.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
This looks like a modern day Vagrant Story, just finished the Prologue and loving it. beautiful game to say the least.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Some of the early takes in this thread when the game launched were that the combat was clunky and the gameplay bad... were those takes wrong and/or is this game is more of a "only certain people will click with the gameplay" type of game? I'm still weighing whether I want to go in on EA before the discount ends and I'm curious if opinions are slowly changing regarding the gameplay itself.

As long as you don't go into it thinking it's a game like diablo or poe, but rather an isometric souls game instead, you'll be fine.

It's available for a little over $30 on some of the reseller sites.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I think some people need reminding this is early access.

The game is really good so far; my views don't align with some of the negativity I've seen here or in the Steam reviews. Yes, it's missing key binds and some graphical settings, which will be added alongside other features, but the core game feels very satisfying.

I was excited when they announced they were first making an ARPG because I was expecting a Diablo-like dungeon crawler, but all the early gameplay footage indicated this was going to be a methodical, heavy-hitting action game, and it plays exactly like that. I think if you go into it expecting a dungeon-crawling looter ARPG, you are going to be disappointed. If you go into it expecting a hand-crafted isometric action game with satisfying gameplay and punishing difficulty, I think you'll find something to enjoy, but hold off if you aren't prepared to play an early access experience.

Early access is the time to criticize the game as long as it's constructive criticism.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested in this, but not until it's actually out with a full version. I'll keep an eye on what people think of the game in its early access phase.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017

Of course not. But when criticisms focus on performance or extremely easy-to-balance mechanics like starting stats or weapon durability, of course being in Early Access is a logical argument in its defense.

If the game had little content, was broken playably, lacked essential systems or had no story, to say the least, of course it would be shameful to use the EA argument. But that's nowhere near the case. It's a tremendously beautiful game, ultra satisfying playably and with 15-20 hours of content at the very least.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Starting to get into the groove with this and really enjoy myself. Here are my bits of feedback so far, playing a strength build using a 2 Handed Sword (did everyone get the Unique 2-hander drop from the first boss or did I just luck out?) and with the caveat that there may be mechanics that I just don't know about yet that resolve some of these:
  • As I've said in previous posts, readability during the night and/or rain is rough. The game looks gorgeous but its so packed with detail that when things get dark and rainy it can be really hard to see what's going on.
  • I think the opening of the game may be a little rough in terms of difficulty. The curve smooths out a lot after you get the ability to upgrade weapons. Enemies feel spongy before that.
  • I'm gonna break from the pack here and say that I don't mind the durability system at all, especially after you reach the town. It's a money sink but getting money is relatively easy once bounties are unlocked and you realized that chests repopulate with the fog of war.
  • Combat generally feels great, and the big boi weapons feel super crunchy and satisfying, but some enemies are a pain in the ass, especially as player maining a slower weapon. To a degree, that comes with the territory of playing a slower build, you have to really learn when to attack, but still, there are some that feel more annoying than satisfying.
    • Crossbow enemies need a little bit more of a windup before firing off a bolt because those bolts come out really fast, and they also really tend to immediately jump out of the way if you successfully dodge attack after they fire. I suspect there's some input reading shenanigans for them, because they only tend to do their dodge right as I attack.
    • Enemies that consistently block are my biggest pain, because there doesn't seem to be any way to break blocks? I don't know why my massive seconds long Greatsword swings that I've meticulously timed can be shrugged off by a tiny buckler held by one hand, but it hurts that crunchy feel of those big weapons. So far, I haven't found a reliable way to break enemy guard. They also tend to get back into their blocking stance really fast after whiffing an attack (at least relative to the slow weapons).
  • Kind of related to those Guarding enemies, parry timings feel very tight and/or unreliable. This is something I may just have to get used to, but the guarding enemies mentioned above would feel much more manageable if parrying felt more reliable

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as you don't go into it thinking it's a game like diablo or poe, but rather an isometric souls game instead, you'll be fine.

It's available for a little over $30 on some of the reseller sites.
Isometric souls sounds great to me, way more interesting than a diablo clone. Ty

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Watched some footage on stream, the game looks promising. Will check it out once it's finished.

It needs a lot of tuning though, the enemies are wayyy too spongy. It ruins the combat's sense of weight/impact.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
anyone managed to play a caster? do you really need to block/attack or drink consumables to restore focus/mana? feels absolutely terrible

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Not being able to pause in Demon's / Dark Souls made sense because of the always online multiplayer invasion or co-op features. If this doesn't exist here or anything similar, then you should be able to pause, I agree with everyone.

By the way, is it normal that the Character I started with just have 10 points in every stat or did I miss some menu when I created the character to adjust that? :D

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to pause in Demon's / Dark Souls made sense because of the always online multiplayer invasion or co-op features. If this doesn't exist here or anything similar, then you should be able to pause, I agree with everyone.

By the way, is it normal that the Character I started with just have 10 points in every stat or did I miss some menu when I created the character to adjust that? :D

It's on their to-do list

They have some guy on twitter tracking feedback and compiling a priority list of community requests for the game.

I may opt to just stick to the opening areas while they are actively developing and improving on it.

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa

I think 10 in every stat is just what they start with. So, yeah, normal!

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I've only got to play a bit but I really like it thus far. I will def have to get used to the lower initial stamina, but once I got a mace and upgraded a bit the enemies felt way less spongy. The game itself is gorgeous and I love how dense everything is. It makes me really want to look everywhere. My only real complaints just echo everyone else- want to be able to pause, performance improvements, etc.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but do we have a rough idea of when to expect 1.0? I'd really rather dive in when the game is finished. Just wondering if that will be like... Q4, or two years from now.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
Played for 2h, biggest problem for me is how fucking hard is to see thing's also your axe/pickaxe breaking is boolshit, was in an area with bunch of loot, pickaxe broke can't gather anything

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
My personal issue right now is that I think stamina depletes WAY too fast right now, but that's just me. I'm playing through Rise of the Ronin at the same time I'm playing this, and it's highlighted for me how quickly your stamina depletes in No Rest. I feel like it needs a LITTLE tweaking.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
They definitely need to double the starting stamina and give a little more wiggle room in the weight limit so a full set of cloth armor doesn't instantly make you heavy. Also there are way too many crafting items that they dump on you. I maxed out the community chest, 2 more chests in my player house, and my maxed out crafting inventory and I still don't have enough space for all the mats, and they only go up to tier 3 right now. Can't imagine the space I need for the next set of tiers.

You're also kneecapped by the recipes you have as well as the tier of the vendors which means most of those mats will just be a wasted space for a very long time.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Inventory limits are dumb without a specific purpose

IF they are doing it for balance purposes (so you can't just have a million healing items at all times) then they need to make non-consumable crafting materials in a completely different category

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Pretty crazy they were talking about Steam Deck compatibility before release considering it looks and runs so horribly there. I'm one of those people who really don't mind 30 fps and making a few compromises, but this is just all over the place on the lowest settings; which already pretty much destroyed the visual style of the game.

Had to uninstall it and I would've probably refunded it if I didn't but it directly from the dev's website, but man what a bummer.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I streamed this from my gaming rig to the OLED Steam Deck last night for a few hours and it was excellent - I put a lot more time into it than I'd intended.

FaC5at0.jpeg

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I streamed this from my gaming rig to the OLED Steam Deck last night for a few hours and it was excellent - I put a lot more time into it than I'd intended.

FaC5at0.jpeg

What settings are you using out of curiosity?

I wasn't sure what to use to try and eke out the best performance

Does this game have multiplayer?

I don't remember where I saw this but apparently 4 player co-op and opt in Invasions/PVP are all in the works?

Plum

May 31, 2018
This. There's so many valid reasons for pausong a game. Even something as simple as wanting to pee. I don't get why developers insist in no pause. It does not make games more challenging, it makes them tedious.
Honestly, I really do think it just boils down to tradition based on the idea that what From is doing with their games, is something that must be part of the genre. Even if the actual reasoning behind why From is doing that thing is likely far more mundane than anything artistic (i.e. 'because of the online functionality). I can guarantee that, had Dark Souls included a pause function in singleplayer, modern Soulslikes would have pause functions in singleplayer as well.

Though in this case it looks like they're adding it for singleplayer down the line, so thankfully they're not too entrenched into the "pausing = easy mode," philosophy lol.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed, and we've seen plenty of early access games with less qol issues at launch and from much smaller outfits. See Valheim, Shadows of Doubt, Sons of the Forest etc. I'm a big supporter of the ea model but yeah some oversights are hard to ignore especially when charging this much out the gate.

Feels like Moon could've stood to keep this in the oven a bit longer before launch. Oh well, hopefully the patch pipeline is well greased and we see lots of general improvements soon.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
What settings are you using out of curiosity?

I set it to the max quality (Highest Quality? Something like that), and have the auto-resolution set to aim for 60. I was getting as much as 70-80 though. This is on 3440x1440 with a 4080S and an i9-9900K from when I built my PC in 2019. Though, and I find many (all?) games do this when I stream from my PC, it changes the resolution correctly to 800p on the Deck when I stream to it - but it doesn't change it *back* so I have to do that by hand. Kind of annoying.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I set it to the max quality (Highest Quality? Something like that), and have the auto-resolution set to aim for 60. I was getting as much as 70-80 though. This is on 3440x1440 with a 4080S and an i9-9900K from when I built my PC in 2019. Though, and I find many (all?) games do this when I stream from my PC, it changes the resolution correctly to 800p on the Deck when I stream to it - but it doesn't change it *back* so I have to do that by hand. Kind of annoying.

God damnit I thought you were running it natively

I can see why you opted to stream it though lol

Hopefully they find a sweet spot for playing on Deck but I dunno if its ever going to be THAT good with the texh they are using for this game

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
God damnit I thought you were running it natively

I can see why you opted to stream it though lol

Hopefully they find a sweet spot for playing on Deck but I dunno if its ever going to be THAT good with the texh they are using for this game

Oh, sorry! Yeah, I had heard this wasn't great natively - but the thing about that is I have a feeling they will do some optimization (probably a lot of it) during the EA and especially towards the end of development, and now it's in the hands of Steam Deck players, it's just a matter of time before the devs make this a Verified game. In the meanwhile, I don't really take my Deck with me when I leave the house, I only use it for streaming from my PS5 and my gaming PC (when I'm watching TV upstairs with the wife) and for that purpose, I played this and had a great time in handheld, so it's going to be worth the wait, I think.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
If after the first six hours I really liked what I saw, today's five-hour session has sealed the deal for me. Obviously, the game has problems, shortcomings, and imbalances that will need tweaking and adjusting, but as a concept and as a newly released game in Early Access, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

In a way, this afternoon has been the turning point. Understanding the combat system, finding a weapon I really feel comfortable with, delving into equipment upgrades, and overall, noticing how the challenge level significantly decreases. I insist that the initial endurance is really low and makes combat seem much more clunky and less fluid than it can be. But as soon as you have a sufficient amount, it's wonderful. I'm already at the point of knowing the enemies' movesets (of which I'm surprised by the variety, although the vast majority are humanoid) and I really feel at ease with the game. So much so that I believe the initial difficulty curve is very tight and they'll have to adjust it.

Furthermore, pending further exploration of certain systems and mechanics (for example, at the moment the loot seems strange to me: on one hand, it feels strange that blues may have fewer assigned special attacks, but above all, I haven't found any purples that justify using them despite their negative statistic), I think my main issue at the moment is the accumulation of small decisions that make the moment-to-moment gameplay heavier and more penalizing than it should be:
  • - Fall damage is exaggerated. In a game with so many shortcuts, secret areas, and platforming sections, it seems absurd that dying from a fall is so incredibly easy. One of those penalties that I don't see the point of.

• - The TP system. I understand they want to avoid constant TPs (and for that, the level design is full of really clever shortcuts) buuut I think there are too few (especially in the fourth zone of the game) and also, I miss some kind of item that teleports me to the last TP used.

• - The respawn of loot is something I have to get used to. But it's really annoying that there are so many cases where you approach said loot and it's 1 or 2 copper coins. Constant distractions that aren't worth it.

• - Inventory space. The first chest you have access to has a space that is very easy to fill. And your personal space isn't exactly large. I've spent a loooot of time managing what I sell, what I throw away during an adventure, what I keep, etc. And, WARNING, putting things in the base chest when it's full makes them disappear. At least in my case.

• - Hand in hand with this is that navigating the menus isn't exactly comfortable: lacking many QoL options (compare items, mark them to sell all at once, be able to move all those already in a chest with the press of a button, etc.), inventories get disorganized as you equip something or move something to a chest.

• - The hunt objectives that send you to clear an area can become very tedious if you can't find the ones you're missing. I've spent 10-15 minutes looking for the only crab I was missing.

• - Item usage. Not being able to equip more than one type of item to each d-pad shortcut is a huge step back. Not being able to use a bomb and an oil to ignite the sword in the same combat without going through the menu (which doesn't pause the game) is really cumbersome. Or that when you run out of a type of food, it doesn't automatically equip another food and only a basic ingredient that barely serves.

• - The durability of the tools is a pain in the ass. Having to buy new axes, pickaxes and shovels all the time is not a fun mechanic. At least, the second tier is more durable.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I gave it a shot and it is hard as fuck. Or maybe I just found a cave that I'm too underleveled for. I'm running out of food, kinda wish there was a flask like system.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So, after 8 hours:

What I like?

- Combat is great.
- The visuals are amazing.
- I actually care about the story and characters are really nice.

What I don't like:

- Durability system. I think they should make us loose some resources and XP when we die, not durability.
- The town upgrade system is weird. It's grindy. Especially because you don't really get many resources while exploring because of limited number of wood/ore you get and the limited inventory space. This needs a rework IMO.
- I hate the fact that I can't choose my starter weapons and stats. I wanna play with daggers and agility character, I'm finding a huge sword, and then sword, and then a mace...

Sangral