• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Update made very small difference in steam deck performance but was improvement this time

Right before the update I was getting 34 fps on the title screen now after the update I'm getting 36

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Stamina cost for parrying with shield, maybe I never noticed in souls games but is that a thing? I feel like blocking with a shield makes sense or maybe missing the parry but if you connect it shouldn't cost you right?

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just started the game again on Steam Deck after the patch.
Wow, the performance is soooooo much better now. Still trying different settings but for me it's like day and night!

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Just started the game again on Steam Deck after the patch.
Wow, the performance is soooooo much better now. Still trying different settings but for me it's like day and night!
Yeah there's definitely an improvement here in raw performance. Still a decent amount of stuttering when traversing into new areas initially though (entering and leaving Sacrament especially) and the start of the zones but I'd say the improvement in this patch specifically is noticable.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to try a bow and dagger or magic focused character but starting a new one from scratch is a tremendous slog, especially for inventory slots and city upgrades.

Fixed and balanced Enchantment Effects across the board

I would like to have more info about this, tbh.

Despite subtle, the two inventory management improvements make a big difference. Maybe 30 would be better for the stacks quantity but it's a step in the good direction.

It's a tough start but ends up good if you build right. Heal on damage dual daggers seem pretty broken right now. You just facetank everything in the game while doing crazy damage. There are quite a few crazy builds going on.

Yup, I confirm this. Tbh, there's other very effective weapons too (the knife and the last sword that you can buy in the blacksmith are pretty great, for example) but I annihilate everything in the crucible without problems with the daggers with life steal. And the default runic power of the Chipped daggers (you can buy them at the blacksmith too) fills the stagger bar of ANY enemy, including the Echo Knight. I need to start searching for other main weapon because I fear a great nerf haha

Last edited:

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Maximum FPS went up with this patch in Quality Settings quite a bit. But unfortunatly the Game still dips in traversal into the 40 fps too much for me. Maybe some shader compilation stutters or something like that. Because overall im getting 70- 80 fps in performance mode.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I'm avoiding the game in Early Access (too many "complete" games to play) but from what I'm reading the feedback about the game itself is good but not exceptional. Curious to see how it turns out in the end.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Don't like the new update for the stamina delay at all, I'm just standing around while being hit multiple times, gonna stop playing the game for now.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
How to raise water levels in the main chamber of the Black Trench?
Keep working your way through the big maze-like area to the left of the main chamber, and you'll find more of the handles to pull that raise the water. When I was working through it, I was completely skipping over a section with those sharks with legs or whatever they are, because I thought it was a dead end but there's actually a way up.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow don't see any performance change on my end.

Some parts just die while not being near max usage for anything.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have a glamour/transmog system?
Finally reached Sacrament last night and gosh, I can't get enough of this.. for me it's the sort of game where I have to pull myself away from or I lose sense of time.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
It seems that if they had delayed it a week or two they could have done more improvements and gotten a better initial response. Yet some of these improvements are because of the EA feedback. So hard to say what would have been the best call.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
It seems that if they had delayed it a week or two they could have done more improvements and gotten a better initial response. Yet some of these improvements are because of the EA feedback. So hard to say what would have been the best call.

Still it releasing when it did....it was MILES ahead in quality and content most Early Access titles have in my opinion.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
We have been deceived all this time. The vast majority of rings do not work.

www.youtube.com

Rings Are LITERALLY Broken | No Rest for the Wicked

I go about testing rings in No Rest for the Wicked to see if they actually work... Turns out, they don't.
Yeah I have 2 agility rings on and attack speed definitely doesn't work.

I'll need to check the stamina changes for a longer period of time but it seems like

-cant build stamina when blocking
-lose stamina when getting hit while blocking
-lose stamina while dodging
-lose stamina while parrying
-delay stamina regain after doing any above.

Might be a little much.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I just dumped on echo night with these daggers I just made.

image.png

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Maybe someone else has a better eye than me but attack speed on rings I believe still does nothing. I have 3 rings on that should be giving me 36% atk speed but it feels basically the same without it.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one noticing some blueish around my character and some enemies? It must be related to the changes applied to the lightning system but I'm not fond of it, tbh.

e58ceb9d167bd76de49af19aaee64281.png

And, unrelated to that, they must lower the crafting costs or buff the loot drops: almost any simple piece demands 2-5 animal loot that are soooo scarce. I only have 2-3 of many of them after almost 40h.

I just dumped on echo night with these daggers I just made.

image.png

Wow, pretty good affixes. I bought and enchanted almost 50 daggers and I had zero focus on damage or stamina on damage, only 2% health on damage. I'm pretty sure that this daggers or some of the affixes gonna be nerfed.

Last edited:

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah noticable performance fixes are gonna take months i assume
I think it's spot performance improvements rather than a complete one. For instance I think in most areas they lowered the GPU usage decently so I was able to boost up the render scale resolution after these last two patches 20% and maintain the same GPU usage as before.

However areas like the nameless pass (specifically the area before the last boss with the cutscenes and all the troops in front of the wall of fire or whatever it is) that area is very heavy. The real stutters I experience are at the entrance and exit of Sacrament. It gets so bad in both spots the audio cuts out on top of the massive stuttering. Generally though running in-between the main loading zone lines it runs quite great. Granted this game is pretty damn heavy so those running a 3070 and lower probability struggle to maintain 60 at 1440p at the highest settings. Hopefully they can remedy with more optimization and DLSS/FG.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's spot performance improvements rather than a complete one. For instance I think in most areas they lowered the GPU usage decently so I was able to boost up the render scale resolution after these last two patches 20% and maintain the same GPU usage as before.

However areas like the nameless pass (specifically the area before the last boss with the cutscenes and all the troops in front of the wall of fire or whatever it is) that area is very heavy. The real stutters I experience are at the entrance and exit of Sacrament. It gets so bad in both spots the audio cuts out on top of the massive stuttering. Generally though running in-between the main loading zone lines it runs quite great. Granted this game is pretty damn heavy so those running a 3070 and lower probability struggle to maintain 60 at 1440p at the highest settings. Hopefully they can remedy with more optimization and DLSS/FG.

I have a 3070ti with an i5 13600k. I still haven bought the game, but i hope i can maintain atleast 60 in 1440p quality settings in the future

jimbosimbo

Nov 9, 2020
I have a 3070ti with an i5 13600k. I still haven bought the game, but i hope i can maintain atleast 60 in 1440p quality settings in the future
I have a Laptop RTX 4080, which I think is somewhat comparable to the desktop 3070ti (looking at benchmarks for a few games). Our CPUs are also comparable.

My game runs at 1440p at average 80fps, feels pretty smooth apart from the odd stutter which I think is more down to the game than my setup.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one noticing some blueish around my character and some enemies? It must be related to the changes applied to the lightning system but I'm not fond of it, tbh.

e58ceb9d167bd76de49af19aaee64281.png

And, unrelated to that, they must lower the crafting costs or buff the loot drops: almost any simple piece demands 2-5 animal loot that are soooo scarce. I only have 2-3 of many of them after almost 40h.

Wow, pretty good affixes. I bought and enchanted almost 50 daggers and I had zero focus on damage or stamina on damage, only 2% health on damage. I'm pretty sure that this daggers or some of the affixes gonna be nerfed.
Yeah this plus some healing armor and one rune skill fills my health and focus bar completely and being frost i stun a lot of enemies too. Def needs to get nerfed lol.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/thomasmahler/status/1784328380063637994

Judging by the questions I'm getting, it looks like some people think that we'll release 1.0 and then we're done?

Folks, we're nowhere near done with No Rest for the Wicked. There is so much that we've already built that none of you even know about and we want to deliver this in a masterful way!

This Early Access phase is really just the beginning for us and we already have plans laid out for what happens after 1.0.

No Rest for the Wicked is like our Lord of the Rings. And to further use this analogy, what we've done so far is akin to doing a 'test screening' of the first bits. 1.0 will be our 'Fellowship of the Ring'. And as you all know, there's lots to come after that.

So to be clear: We'll be working on No Rest for the Wicked for another 5-10 years.

This is our Magnum Opus. We always had lofty ambitions and we said we're going to contribute in a huge way to the ARPG genre - and that is our intention

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
5-*10* years? I mean, I guess 5-10 technically could mean 5, but still, those are some lofty goals/legs!

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Unless of course it doesn't sell great in which case it'll be like 1 year. :p

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
5-*10* years? I mean, I guess 5-10 technically could mean 5, but still, those are some lofty goals/legs!

In addition to reports of his toxicity and studio crunch, I've always disliked Thomas Mahler's grandiloquence and tendency to be overly ambitious in his statements. This has led him to controversies and miscommunications such as "redefining the A-RPG genre" when NRFTW is much closer to a Soulslike game. And so there has been so much disappointment from PoE or Diablo players.

That said, as someone who loves the game, I like hearing that. And while those 10 years may sound like another exaggeration, just look at the fact that Path of Exile has been around 10 years, with a huge audience and lots of new content every year. Or, to a lesser extent and with a lot more problems and turbulence, Diablo III stayed alive around those same 10 years. Beyond, Destiny 2 came out in 2017 or Warframe in 2013 and both have big loyal communities.

That is, the basis to work in the long term they have it. And the start, despite problems typical of Early Access, is very promising. They must be around one million copies sold at this point. And, honestly, I think NRFTW is a game that's going to do really well when it comes to consoles.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
In addition to reports of his toxicity and studio crunch, I've always disliked Thomas Mahler's grandiloquence and tendency to be overly ambitious in his statements. This has led him to controversies and miscommunications such as "redefining the A-RPG genre" when NRFTW is much closer to a Soulslike game. And so there has been so much disappointment from PoE or Diablo players.

This take always confuses me....maybe I'm too old...what does the A in ARPG stand for? Action, right? Diablo and Souls games are all ARPGs. Right?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://x.com/thomasmahler/status/1784328380063637994

Judging by the questions I'm getting, it looks like some people think that we'll release 1.0 and then we're done?

Folks, we're nowhere near done with No Rest for the Wicked. There is so much that we've already built that none of you even know about and we want to deliver this in a masterful way!

This Early Access phase is really just the beginning for us and we already have plans laid out for what happens after 1.0.

No Rest for the Wicked is like our Lord of the Rings. And to further use this analogy, what we've done so far is akin to doing a 'test screening' of the first bits. 1.0 will be our 'Fellowship of the Ring'. And as you all know, there's lots to come after that.

So to be clear: We'll be working on No Rest for the Wicked for another 5-10 years.

This is our Magnum Opus. We always had lofty ambitions and we said we're going to contribute in a huge way to the ARPG genre - and that is our intention

Man I think his tweet is going to bite him in the ass in the future lol

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

That said, as someone who loves the game, I like hearing that. And while those 10 years may sound like another exaggeration, just look at the fact that Path of Exile has been around 10 years, with a huge audience and lots of new content every year. Or, to a lesser extent and with a lot more problems and turbulence, Diablo III stayed alive around those same 10 years. Beyond, Destiny 2 came out in 2017 or Warframe in 2013 and both have big loyal communities.

That is, the basis to work in the long term they have it. And the start, despite problems typical of Early Access, is very promising. They must be around one million copies sold at this point. And, honestly, I think NRFTW is a game that's going to do really well when it comes to consoles.
Yep, that all makes sense! I typically don't play games for long periods of time anyway and tend to be the type who plays mostly at the beginning, but then will dip in every year or so to see what's new, but rarely do I hang around for long since I've moved on or (more likely) forgotten how to play and lost all semblance of skill. 😅 I'm excited to play it when it hits 1.0 though, that's for sure!

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
How are people handling the crucible? That place is ridiculously over powered for a level 15/16 build, especially depending on what weapon you're using.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
How are people handling the crucible? That place is ridiculously over powered for a level 15/16 build, especially depending on what weapon you're using.

I wouldn't even bother till you are 20 or over, unless you are running some exploiting Ranged/Mage build.

It is the best spot for leveling more quickly though while also providing good gear to try and upgrade and enhance to push you further and further.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's meant to be tackled around lvl21. So you need to grind the earlier areas and upgrade your town and equipment plus develop a solid build.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I wouldn't even bother till you are 20 or over, unless you are running some exploiting Ranged/Mage build.

It is the best spot for leveling more quickly though while also providing good gear to try and upgrade and enhance to push you further and further.

It's meant to be tackled around lvl21. So you need to grind the earlier areas and upgrade your town and equipment plus develop a solid build.
Ok that's what I figured. Didn't seem like you were immediately supposed to go straight there but because its end game they wanted to give everyone a taste of what it's going to be. I think I remember someone saying the devs had an idea of turning it into a rougelike esque system, which I find quite interesting.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Not sure what's going on with performance all of a sudden but now my game is dropping down to 60-70 fps when running around and attacking enemies and my GPU usage drops to 70% from 80+ in those areas with not much even going on. I thought it might have been a memory leak or something so I restarted the game and nope still happens. This wasn't happening 2 hours ago.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017

looking forward to the ranged builds
although I do think they might be a bit overpowered with how fast they clear screens at the "endgame", not sure the game is made for that

I also just invested all my money in tier 3 refined mats from vendors. I can see why they change that, but at the same time the ability to just buy those from vendros was pretty much the biggest perk of upgrading the vendors in the first place