Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
This two statements seem perfectly reasonable together for an Early Access game that's not been fully optimized yet.

Yeah, but this is nothing to brag about.

It would have been "playable" in some form anyway, and they are celebrating like they accomplished a miracle here.

"We never thought we'd get this done in time for launch, but so many of you have asked and we LOVE handhelds"

Just reads a bit funny that they write that and then the performance is how they describe.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
10 percent off when buying the game. Installing it now.

11 gigs on PC.

i'm sure it'll be 60fps on the deck eventually. they managed to get ori running at 60fps on the switch.

I think so too. Launch version of Will of the Wisps did feel pretty ehh on Xbox One when that launched. Worse than the Switch version.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA

View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/GpgtdLZ8YRQ?autoplay=1

www.eurogamer.net

No Rest for the Wicked: the spectacular evolution of Moon Studios' graphics tech

Digital Foundry talks about visual features and performance in No Rest for the Wicked on Early Access.

At its core, Wicked remains a game rooted in the Unity Engine but with a vast range of customisations transforming it into its own thing, hence the nickname - Moonity. This, however, is used only for the game's presentation layer - the graphics you see on-screen. Moon has also built a new simulation engine - built on top of Exit Games' Quantum Engine - to handle game logic, including a fully deterministic 3D physics system for networking, which No Rest for the Wicked will feature at a later date.

What makes this setup work well is the division between rendering and simulation - basically, input responsiveness is separate from frame-rate so, if you're playing on a lower end platform, like a Steam Deck, at 30fps, the game will still feel as responsive as a game running at a higher frame-rate. The visuals, however, are striking. First and foremost, Wicked supports HDR on day one - this is important as we have largely considered Ori and the Will of the Wisps to stand out as one of the best examples of HDR in any game released to date. The HDR implementation is superb and just as intense and engaging as Ori. It makes a gigantic difference if you use an HDR display.

Another key feature in building a strong atmosphere lies in the animation of world objects - specifically, things such as trees and cloth. The weather is a key part of this: the first area of the game takes place during a thunderstorm with a huge volume of GPU-accelerated rain particles blowing around. It's entertaining to see what happens if you increase the volume of particles beyond realistic limits - it looks ridiculous, yet it remains performant. The detail is remarkable: as the characters battle in the rain, bursts of water can be observed emanating from their clothing as they animate. It really gives the impression that their clothing has become drenched and the intensity of their movement is forcefully flinging the collected water droplets.

This ties directly into the unified wind system which influences cloth and trees around you. It's fully adjustable and dynamic, changing alongside the time of day and weather patterns. It looks especially cool around cloth objects, including outfits worn by characters. Speaking of physical interactions, Moon has also included physics simulation for small objects - such as rocks, pebbles and branches that react to your character as you move through the world. These small details are also influenced by events such as explosions. Then there's the fluid simulation - this is applied to things such as water, smoke, fog and the like. You can see it here in this cutscene as the character breaks through the smoke. Beautiful.

The point is that the sheer amount of motion on display brings the world to life in a way that I found very impressive. It feels just as lively as the 2D Ori games yet manages to do all of this in full 3D at a larger scale while being significantly more interactive. What's interesting is that, with Wicked being in early access, the team is still working on additional effects that aren't currently in the game. For instance, Moon is experimenting with actual dynamic streams of water. There's also a dynamic mud system in development where moving through thick mud actually displaces the terrain as you trudge through it. Hopefully these find their way into the game as development progresses.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting a 303 error when trying to purchase from Private Division?

Any payment methods that are actually working?

Fuck the Affliate Link Discount. Private Divisions website and payment system is hot garbage. I just opted to spend the extra few bucks to buy it on Steam and skip the hassle

Bengraven