• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Tails

Oct 25, 2017
The next project for Noclip

PvBaQWm.png

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That's a surprise. I thought they were going to simply do Fallout 4. Didn't expect the jump to 76.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, that's a really good get for Danny. I'm sure the videos will be fantastic as always.

May 17, 2018
I'm sure NoClip knows what they're doing, but, I really hope this doesn't end up as a type of marketing for Fallout 76.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand people probably want 'objectivity' for these kind of documentaries but you have to understand getting this kind of intimate access to huge studios won't happen if the project could paint them in a bad light. That's the compromise for getting these behind the scenes peeks.

I think Danny has done an admirable job of including development problems on stuff like Doom and FFXIV without turning it negative.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
NoClip never asks the toughest of questions, and I would not expect them to, you are not going to tear a game apart when talking to the people who made it. But they do ask interesting questions and get compelling answers a result, and that is okay with me.

Real people talking passionately about something they love, without PR influence holding them back, is not something we get a lot of, and that is what makes these docs worth a watch each and every time.

Oct 26, 2017
Not liking the idea that i'm paying for Bethesda's marketing campaign here. This feels like a "Story" that could be told outside Noclip, aka on every big journos youtube page.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I understand people probably want 'objectivity' for these kind of documentaries but you have to understand getting this kind of intimate access to huge studios won't happen if the project could paint them in a bad light. That's the compromise for getting these behind the scenes peeks.

I think Danny has done an admirable job of including development problems on stuff like Doom and FFXIV without turning it negative.

Yeah, all love to Danny, but no studio is giving someone this level of access if they're not willing to make the end product into a sort of studio hagiography. The best he can really do with the format is keep the positivity at least honest, and try to work in stories of issues and struggle when they can be pitched as obstacles that were to be overcome that still make the dev look good in the end. You're not going to get the dirty tell-all of all the politicking that went into it or anything like that in this sort of format. That's for a different brand of investigative journalism, one that doesn't need to get a camera past studio security.

I do agree though that covering an upcoming game rather than a year-old release is crossing a new line that isn't super comfortable.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure NoClip knows what they're doing, but, I really hope this doesn't end up as a type of marketing for Fallout 76.
NoClip has effectively been marketing since the beginning. Certainly previous projects have been after the fact, but the work wasn't any different than what a studio would produce internally. I also generally find it discouraging most NoClip stuff is from big studios. It very much gives the feeling of video producers for hire.

This doesn't mean there isn't any value to it, but it is limited and to pretend any notion of independence is a bit naive.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda is probably my favorite dev of all time.

Eagerly looking forward to this. What a scoop for Noclip too.

The Fallout 76 one is probably going to get some new eyes on them.

May 17, 2018
NoClip has effectively been marketing since the beginning. Certainly previous projects have been after the fact, but the work wasn't any different than what a studio would produce internally. I also generally find it discouraging most NoClip stuff is from big studios. It very much gives the feeling of video producers for hire.

This doesn't mean there isn't any value to it, but it is limited and to pretend any notion of independence is a bit naive.

I see what you're saying, but, up to now, it's been videos for games that have already been released, and, are years old, to boot.

This is the first time it's about an upcoming game, which is why it feels more like, as someone else said earlier, it's almost like you're paying for Bethesda's marketing campaign for FO76.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. Cant wait for the next few!

There was a poster just the other day wishing they would do more stuff like this. Hope he sees this!

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver

Yeah not sure how I feel about it. Making docs about games already released and scored is one thing. This is something completely different.

Not liking the idea that i'm paying for Bethesda's marketing campaign here. This feels like a "Story" that could be told outside Noclip, aka on every big journos youtube page.

The few of these I've watched seemed more like adverts than documentaries

Agree with all this. I'm worried this could turn into an infomercial.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly.

This looks more like a "looks guys, we haven't changed!" emergency response.
That or they just thought it was a cool idea and liked Noclip's work.

Bethesda's games have been doing gangbusters. I'm not really a fan of Fallout 4 (struggled to finish it myself) but I don't think Bethesda believes they have anything to worry about at this point with all the positive reviews and sales.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic. Danny O'Dwyer is such a treasure to this industry.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do realize how long these things take to make right? How on earth can this be reactionary when 76 was teased yesterday?
The time of the trailer was what I was referring to not the time when the documentary was being made. They could have released a trailer anytime but they decided right after 76 almost as if they knew there was gonna be backlash.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
As someone who has purchased and designed "sharable content" by online and offline influencers - this reeks of pure paid advertisement - but not desperation yet, as this would have been laid out quite some time ago (aka not influenced by the mixed response to yesterdays teaser).

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The few of these I've watched seemed more like adverts than documentaries
They do a good job of separating the individual from the game itself and just stick to talking about their experiences making the game or their experience in the industry. I never get the sense they are trying to make it out about to be about "look at these awesome people that made this awesome game" The game itself seems to be a backdrop to getting the conversation going. The FF one was quite candid in how they fucked up the game and admitting the flaws and hubris.

But this feels weird, you can't really talk about anything without talking about the game and making it end up looking like an extended press preview. How are you gonna get the conversation going without talking about the game itself and how the ideas came about to add those features or elements in.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to these! Always love Noclip documentaries. Of course they are going to feel like an infomercial because it is well information about a single subject (game) so of course you might feel like the developers are trying to sell the product because they are talking about it a lot... I've neverrrrrrrrrr felt they were advertising you to buy the game and the information like the title of the series suggests is just a behind the scene looks of game development and design.

I'm pretty sure this one won't be that in depth due to the game not being out so will cover the prototyping/design phase of how the game came to be. If you think that is suddenly make you want to buy the game then just don't watch the video.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This thread is really sad.

If you are a fan of Danny and Noclip, it seems like you should give them the benefit of the doubt, no?

It's awfully shitty to assume that after a year of producing some of the best documentaries in gaming, they'd suddenly "cash in" or whatever.

Furthermore, as someone who's a Patreon backer of Noclip, the "cash in" factor doesnt even exist since these documentaries are entirely funded by people like me.

Unless you suddenly think so low of Noclip that you assume, without any evidence, that they're getting paid by Bethesda in addition to getting funded by their backers?

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
the cynicism in this place is really sad.

Danny is great at storytelling. I am looking forward to this one for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.