manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
It's here!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nwWpQJFGp8

View: https://twitter.com/noclipvideo/status/1793683467550830972?s=61&t=AYTBDiB3F5PuBlHQaTz4mg

Screenshot-2024-05-23-at-22-57-18.png

Last edited:

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god I want this immediately! RIP Wipeout - the coolest video game series of all time.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
All over this. I remember playing Wipeout and tripping and having to just put the controller down at one point because it was too much. Sensory overload.

Mar 17, 2024
Still listen to the first two soundtracks from time to time. CoLD SToRAGE did a phenomenal job on these two, especially the first one.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Its so damn cool that NoClip exists. They seriously do amazing work.

Wonder if it would ever make economical sense to sell their docs on Bluray? Would be nice to have them for preservation purposes.

Mar 17, 2024
Wipeout 1 OST still easily in my top 10 - maybe top 5 - ever.

It's one of the many great electronica albums that were released the '90s. CoLD SToRAGE was easily on the level of the big names.

On the PlayStation soundtrack you had great artists from the outside contributing tracks. Loved seeing Chemical Beats making an appearance, which was one of my favorite tunes on The Chemical Brothers' debut album, Exit Planet Dust. Leftfield was at their peak with their outstanding album Leftism. Their Afro Ride fits right in. Orbital's Wipeout (later officially renamed P.E.T.R.O.L.) was a very moody piece.

Underworld's Tin There is probably my favorite contribution by the outside artists, though as a drum & bass-fan I'm also somewhat partial to Photek's The Third Sequence. Here's the former in its full glory:

www.youtube.com

Pearls Girl (Tin There) (Remastered)

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupPearls Girl (Tin There) (Remastered) · UnderworldSecond Toughest In The Infants℗ 1995 Smith Hyde ProductionsRelea...

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a treat. Wipeout is such a loving and cohesive expression of a specific time and culture. A game, an art piece, a window into the past.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doc goes as far as Wipeout 3 because I'd love to hear about how the Sasha side of things came together. Very excited for this ever since I saw it mentioned in a Patreon email.

It's one of the many great electronica albums that were released the '90s. CoLD SToRAGE was easily on the level of the big names.

On the PlayStation soundtrack you had great artists from the outside contributing tracks. Loved seeing Chemical Beats making an appearance, which was one of my favorite tunes on The Chemical Brothers' debut album, Planet Dust. Leftfield was at their peak with their outstanding album Leftism. Their Afro Ride fit right in. Orbital's Wipeout (later officially renamed P.E.T.R.O.L.) was a very moody piece.

Underworld's Tin There is probably my favorite contribution by the outside artists, though as a drum & bass-fan I'm also somewhat partial to Photek's The Third Sequence. Here's the former in its full glory:

www.youtube.com

Pearls Girl (Tin There) (Remastered)

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupPearls Girl (Tin There) (Remastered) · UnderworldSecond Toughest In The Infants℗ 1995 Smith Hyde ProductionsRelea...

Weren't many of these XL/2097 tracks, or is this what I get for being a filthy North American and the CD soundtrack they put out for XL was actually European wipEout tracks?

But yeah, that soundtrack was formative for me, as was the original wipEout with the Cold Storage soundtrack. Turned me from "eww dance music who likes that stuff" to "oh THAT'S why people like it, sign me up."

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
My love for EDM and Electronica would not have existed without Wipeout 3.

Mar 17, 2024
I hope this doc goes as far as Wipeout 3 because I'd love to hear about how the Sasha side of things came together. Very excited for this ever since I saw it mentioned in a Patreon email.

Weren't many of these XL/2097 tracks, or is this what I get for being a filthy North American and the CD soundtrack they put out for XL was actually European wipEout tracks?

But yeah, that soundtrack was formative for me, as was the original wipEout with the Cold Storage soundtrack. Turned me from "eww dance music who likes that stuff" to "oh THAT'S why people like it, sign me up."

Only those mentioned in the last sentence were on the soundtrack of the second game. 😉

Think that the electronica from that era was also more sophisticated to what came before it, in both substance and production quality. There was this shift occurring in the mid-'90s, away from eurodance and stuff. The soundtracks of the games are kind of emblematic of that.

Mar 17, 2024
I'm the opposite! The funny thing is I owned wipEout and Wipeout 3, but I didn't come to own XL until only a few years ago. So that soundtrack was the only piece of the game I had for a very long time.

It's kinda cool when you think about it; when the music of something gets played by people with different approaches. The power of music!

Mar 17, 2024
Fluke was so incredibly underrated, despite having made such great tunes throughout the '90s. Would highly recommend giving their output a listen. The Atomix 1 edit of Atom Bomb that made it into the second game ain't even the best one IMO.

It even had an official music video:
www.youtube.com

Fluke - Atom Bomb

Music video by Fluke performing Atom Bomb.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
I liked how you could put the Wip3out disc into a CD player and it would play the soundtrack as a regular album.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Oh hell yes!
Loved the recent article that went deep into the music of Wipeput and told the story of Cold Storage.
Will definitely check this out!

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I have the WipEout 1 soundtrack on my spotify playlist and it's regularly some of my favourite music to come on shuffle. Cairodrome and Operatique are two of my favourite pieces of VGM of all time.

Very excited for this.

Jul 1, 2020
I liked how you could put the Wip3out disc into a CD player and it would play the soundtrack as a regular album.
A ton of PC and console games of that era worked this way. A lot of PC games of that era like Quake, Quake 2 and Half-Life will have no music if you don't have the CD in. Castlevania Symphony of the Night has special CD audio telling you that the disc is for a Playstation and that track 1 contains computer data.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Wip3out is probably my favorite of the bunch both in terms of style and music. There's this very specific vibe with that one that I really like. BUT I have the official soundtrack for 2097/XL on disc and I keep that in the car. Loops of Fury is speeding ticket material.