Dec 22, 2017
Florida
goddammit. Nothing good can ever happen.

I would imagine that most of the doors just have a normal knot or loop and maybe that is why they didn't recognize it? Because unless your trying to lynch someone or send a really racist message a noose seems like a really extremely complex and wasteful knot job ( i know nothing of knots)

So was it tied differently from the other ropes in the area that are still attached to the garage doors(I know you don't have the answer, I am just asking rhetorically)? Because if it was then that seems to me like even if the rope was looped like normal and then broke, someone came back and retied it like a noose, which would imply some kind of maliciousness. If it was just tied like the other ropes there, someone should have recognized what it was. Something is not adding up here.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Would like to see a clear picture of this rope, I just don't get why you would have a full blown noose as a pull handle. Doesn't seem practical at all.
While it wasn't put there due to Bubba, it was definitely put there for the connotation it represents. Make not mistake about that.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
While it wasn't put there due to Bubba, it was definitely put there for the connotation it represents. Make not mistake about that.
Okay dude, you don't need to go into hotep territory, this wasn't what it was made to be. There's plenty of real shit out there that doesnt need a conspiracy spin to it. This ain't it .

it was there before garage assignment so y'all are reaching at this point. Let's move on to shit that is worth more time. It's nice that a ton of fellow drivers at least was in unity about this I just hate that this shit will fuel dumb fucking right wings fire.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Racists who latch onto situations like this as a "gotcha" to disprove the existence of racism are the weirdest thing to me. Like most of the posts I'm seeing about this on Twitter are being actively racist while celebrating 🤔

painey

Oct 27, 2017
When you see what it really was, it's hard to believe the chain of idiocy that got us to this point. Baffling.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racists who latch onto situations like this as a "gotcha" to disprove the existence of racism are the weirdest thing to me. Like most of the posts I'm seeing about this on Twitter are being actively racist while celebrating 🤔

The saddest part is that they're all blaming Bubba for it (gee I wonder why), not the fact that NASCAR found it serious enough to call in the fucking FBI.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Who knows when it was cut off, but the point being it's the same garage a year ago and it was already there meaning it wasn't done to intimidate Wallace.
The dude means the date on the right picture is important. It means someone added the moose back very recently after it had been removed and very soon before bubba was assigned to the garage.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is very different from a smollett situation

Its obvious this was a mistaken claim but not malicious

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Regardless of the outcome and investigation was necessary. The banning of the confederate flag clearly floated racists like Dustin Skinner and co the the surface and it shouldn't have been taken lightly.

Last edited:

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it wasn't a hate crime (not that we don't have countless others in it's place) and that Nascar was doing the right thing in response. Very unfortunate incident, hopefully the media will cut Bubba some slack, given the current atmosphere and the confederate flag ban, it's understandable how he and his team took it.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Can't NASCAR just order the garage door ties to use handles instead of a noose tie? It's pretty obvious that it's not literally a noose in the way we know of them, so if the rope was tied that way in his garage for whatever reason, just enforce using handles instead. NASCAR has much bigger racial issues than this right now, including keeping their racist fans from defying the Confederate flag ban and taunting of the new black fans that have shown up to support Bubba Wallace.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing. It's why a one-off single situation like this sticks in their memory better than large scale evidence like statistics highlighting institutionalized racism in society at large. It gives them the ability to make the larger signals seem like noise and the smaller signals to be boosted in their importance.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
And now Trumpers are calling him Bubba Smollet...

Fucking dogwhistles. They want to say they aren't racist and then, do racist shit.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing. It's why a one-off single situation like this sticks in their memory better than large scale evidence like statistics highlighting institutionalized racism in society at large. It gives them the ability to make the larger signals seem like noise and the smaller signals to be boosted in their importance.
And now Trumpers are calling him Bubba Smollet...

Fucking dogwhistles. They want to say they aren't racist and then, do racist shit.
It's nothing new, I remember ten years ago when I was foolish enough to get into debates with FB racists and they would spend paragraph after paragraph downplaying racism and saying that it was in my imagination and then in the same breath say something abhorrently racist. When I'd call them out on their blatant racism they'd usually respond "well... it's not racist because it's true!!!".

I think it's impossible to reach people like this, their entire system of self worth is based on believing in their superiority over PoC. It's easy to see why stripping them of their symbols like the Confederate Flag and these crusty statues are creating this kind of response, white supremacy is all they have.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The people saying he's the next Jussie Smollet had their mind made up the second they initially heard the news on Sunday evening. Nothing was going to change that.
Jussie Smollet was trending on twitter the night before this was even concluded, so regardless of the actual result, even if the results went the other way, they still would have kept pushing a conspiracy theory anyways, because they're trash.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I still have serious questions how that was allowed to exist for 8 months at least, quite possibly longer. Really hope NASCAR scours every garage at every track they hold events at and make sure this isn't occurring elsewhere.

even as a sport that just now banned the Confederate flag at their venues, this is not fucking acceptable. It has never been acceptable.

Oct 25, 2017

I am not a knot guy, I don't know a clove hitch from a... what's the name of another knot... Granny knot, but that is a really noose-y looking noose. It's kind of disturbing that that was the knot someone not only knew how to tie but also chose to use in that situation. Is there any use case for it, like does the loop at the end make it easier to pull down the garage door than a knotted or even loose rope or anything?

The intent may not have been there, but it's still questionable.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I am not a knot guy, I don't know a clove hitch from a... what's the name of another knot... Granny knot, but that is a really noose-y looking noose. It's kind of disturbing that that was the knot someone not only knew how to tie but also chose to use in that situation. Is there any use case for it, like does the loop at the end make it easier to pull down the garage door than a knotted or even loose rope or anything?

Knot guy here. A bowline knot in this situation would be simpler and more useful.

Oct 25, 2017

If there wasn't intent it would've been on all the the other garages and not seen as something that needed to reported directly to race officials.

Absolutely someone trying to be slick with the symbolism.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if that was how garage door pulls were normally done in NASCAR, someone would've just said it's a garage door pull immediately.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't remember much about knots but isn't a noose a slipknot? That would mean if you pull on the loop it will constrict around the hand before it actually serves any function for pulling the rope. Its definitely not offering any kind of use and rather intentional.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've got 2 tall bay doors with loop ended cord, for when we have to open them up for larger items to ship. It's for when the cord is out of reach, where I need to use a pole with a hook on it to drag the door/cord down far enough to grab and shut it. The cord isn't tied in a slipknot fashion and looks nothing like a noose. It's not designed to constrict, it's designed to be a handle.

That image from NASCAR, that a noose. The doors themselves don't look tall enough for where the pull is out of reach for an adult to grab the rope, and is why the other doors don't have looped ends. It's not needed. Like Dubbedinenglish said, someone decided to be slick and show off their "handiwork."

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
What someone should do is see who was in that stall last time and if that team had any black crew members.
The stall was last occupied by driver Paul Menard in October, and Wood Brothers Racing, the team Menard drove for, put out a statement the other day saying a crew member noticed it last October and thought it was peculiar, but ultimately didn't report it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I got my knot tying merit badge, that's a noose. A professional would not tie it that way unless they were either a racist shithead having a laugh or they were a racist shithead whose dad only taught them that one knot.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a noose, plain and simple. It may not have been tied as a direct threat to Bubba on Sunday, but some white supremacist piece of shit absolutely tied it some time ago because of what it implies historically.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Ya that's a hangman's knot, and its not even a good knot to use for pulling unless you want it wrapping around your hand.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
At least that puts an end to the "it's not a noose, it's just a regular hoop" nonsense people were running with and playing devil's advocate about. Even from the pictures, it seemed likely that it was tied like a noose, but this removes all doubt.

It unfortunately doesn't answer all the questions, but at least that aspect is debunked because it really had people playing into to the idea that this was a big fuss over nothing and it was all a stunt or just a regular hoop.