Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
RIP

If people would've left her alone she would alive it seems.

"The Norwegian government euthanized its celebrity walrus Freya on early Sunday morning, after warning the public to stay away from her.
"The decision to euthanize the walrus was made based on an overall assessment of the continued threat to human safety," said Frank Bakke-Jensen, the director general at the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries, in a news release.

Freya became a social media sensation this summer, Rune Aae, who teaches biology at the University of South-Eastern Norway and manages a Google map of Freya sightings, told CNN. The young female walrus had been spending time at the Oslo Fjord, an inlet on the country's southeastern coast, and was seemingly unafraid of humans, unlike most walruses. Several popular videos show the walrus clambering onto small boats to sunbathe."

amp.cnn.com

Norway euthanizes beloved 1,300-pound walrus named Freya

The Norwegian government euthanized its celebrity walrus Freya on early Sunday morning, after warning the public to stay away from her.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, she wasn't bothering anyone

Edit: aside from the boats I guess

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
aw, that is unfair

i wonder if she had a human she befriended and that's where she lost the fear and got the habit of basking on a shipdeck.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. People being idiots and letting kids throw rocks and sticks at her, people going up to her for selfies, people going swimming where she was staying etc. was what made the Directory of Fisheries decide to have her killed 🤦

Fucking idiots. 'Oh no, a wild animal is inconvenient for us, we must kill it'.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Freya will have her vengeance one day... 😢 #FreyaDidNothingWrong

08a08-16427701700032-1920.jpg

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sad stuff. Seals and walruses are the best.

www.resetera.com

Freya the Walrus Keeps Sunbathing On Boats And Sinking Them In Norway (Sad update. See threadmarks)

https://twitter.com/etunKo/status/1549488554425851906?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1549488554425851906%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecut.com%2F2022%2F07%2Fno-one-is-having-a-better-summer-than-freya-the-walrus.html The Cut Article An absolute...

New news, new thread.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was there no other option for finding her a safe habitat where she wouldn't sink ships??? They just decided "yep nothing can be done about this. Guess we'll just kill her"

Oct 27, 2017
If she was causing harm (even if it is to norwegian boat owners), Couldn't they have tranquilized her and then fly her to the natural habitat?

I think they looked at that and decided 'nah, too costly, a bullet is cheaper'. But to be fair, tranquilizing a 1300 pound/~600 kg walrus is probably somewhat challenging.

I'm surprised no zoos or aquariums were willing to take her in. RIP

IIRC the aquarium in Bergen didn't have room for her.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
lol what i saw the other thread about her sunbathing and thought that was cute

then 2 days later she gets euthanized. bruh

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
so lets kills them instead, gotcha

I mean, as harsh as it sounds, biologists and conservationists will often destroy 'problem' animals as they have to weigh the safety of entire animal populations against the welfare of a single individual. As soon as an animal gains a reputation for being dangerous, human persecution inevitably follows and the species as a whole can suffer.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but cases such as Freya's are hardly uncommon, sadly.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. People being idiots and letting kids throw rocks and sticks at her, people going up to her for selfies, people going swimming where she was staying etc. was what made the Directory of Fisheries decided to have her killed 🤦

The logic behind that is so absurd, that Director has to be trolling. I'd buy it if they tried to move her, shit went wrong and they had to euthanize her, not a great outcome but shit happens and you tried, but jumping straight to killing her is absurd. Hell, could have even relocated her and saved euthanasia as a last option if she kept coming back.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It obviously sucks that they decided to do this but I have to wonder: How the fuck do you even euthanize a walrus?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The logic behind that is so absurd, that Director has to be trolling. I'd buy it if they tried to move her, shit went wrong and they had to euthanize her, not a great outcome but shit happens and you tried, but jumping straight to killing her is absurd. Hell, could have even relocated her and saved euthanasia as a last option if she kept coming back.
Yeah! I mean, think of the PR wins of moving her, even with the risk of her coming back.

Instead, you killed a beloved animal (and the mood of Freya Summer).

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean, as harsh as it sounds, biologists and conservationists will often destroy 'problem' animals as they have to weigh the safety of entire animal populations against the welfare of a single individual. As soon as an animal gains a reputation for being dangerous, human persecution inevitably follows and the species as a whole can suffer.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but cases such as Freya's are hardly uncommon, sadly.

It sucks tho because there's a huge difference between 'Animal reacts badly to humans being around and might attack' vs 'Humans poke tiger, get eaten'.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
When in doubt, $ is the reason why.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Australia's shark culling is one of the worst I can think of. Most of which were the wrong species, or even whales+dolphins being killed.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
"A moving option would've been complicated and contain risks" said the fishing director.

Don't we as humans move animals all the time, across the world? I fail to see how one walrus away from civilization would've been just too hard.

I guess he meant "costly".

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, we'll see more of this as animals migrate due to climate change

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yep. People being idiots and letting kids throw rocks and sticks at her, people going up to her for selfies, people going swimming where she was staying etc. was what made the Directory of Fisheries decide to have her killed 🤦

yeah it sucks. But I 'understand' that she was a danger for people who got to close (they can turn aggressive). So yeah, if people would have just kept a distance and left her alone this most likely wouldnt have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.