yckmd_

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Recently, after a friend on Discord brought it up, I decided I needed to play through Doom RPG. This partially became "a thing" for me thanks to the re-releases on of Doom / Doom 2 / Doom 64 on Switch, so when I was reminded that the ID produced dungeon-crawler-esque turn-based Doom RPG existed, I figured yeah that's something I need to play.

As you can imagine from the post title, it has launched me down a little bit of a rabbit hole. Mobile games of this era are such a different beast altogether - it's fascinating to replay these titles and see how much of a "we have to figure this platform out" feeling you get from them. You'll see a lot of the same things over and over - so many side-scrollers - but you'll also see tons of very creative and intriguing games that feel lost to time.

Doom RPG (2005)

LBuM0Jl.gif

If you haven't played it, or heard about it, Doom RPG came out in 2005 for the mobile phone and instead of staying close to the formula of the original games, they made it (as the title says) an RPG. A turn-based, rogue-esque one to be exact. No, the levels aren't procedurally generated so feel free to argue about the rogue comparison, but the tile-by-tile movement and turn based combat should give you an idea of what to expect here. My favourite part of the game so far has been the ability to "capture" evil dog enemies and use them as shield/weapons (complete with a little dog-bone health meter for the dogs, ha.) Honestly, playing through the game got me hooked on revisiting more mobile games of this era. As far as I'm concerned, I'd say Doom RPG is damn-near a masterpiece of mobile gaming - it's perfectly suited for the platform, is quite fun while still posing a challenge, and retains the flavor of the original property perfectly. Probably the only thing added here that takes away from the game is the wink-wink humour, which I don't mind but your mileage may vary.

Assassin's Creed (2007)

FHOnZzw.gif
3N8KliL.gif

There's a lot of mobile games from this era that are adaptations of console games (as well as a lot of movie properties, etc.) One that surprised me, was the original Assassin's Creed mobile title. On the one hand, it's a lot like many other brawl-ish side-scrollers of the era. That said, there's a nice attempt to capture the series' traversal and parkour-style running around and diving off ledges. It's a simple pleasure, but it feels pretty good and I felt like it captured the feel and atmosphere of the original game pretty well!

Call of Duty

MGjNgwK.gif

Have you ever wanted to play an over-head shooter based on the Call of Duty property? There's a lot of them on the mobile platform from this era. I feel like the general consensus on these titles at the time where that they are solid but ultimately became a little stale over the course of many releases. I've been having fun with them though!

Darkest Fear (2006)

XvfcQRB.gif

From Rovio, the creators of Angry Birds, came this survival horror series that manages to milk a lot of atmosphere out of the platform. True to the name, the game features a darkness/light mechanic that finds you opening and closing windows, brandishing a flashlight, and more. It actually works really well for the platform and turning on a light to reveal a corpse for the first time was truly surprising. There's more of these and I think I'll be checking them out as well, as Darkest Fear balanced the survival horror and puzzle vibes well.

Lemonade Tycoon (2003)

Lp83nVp.gif

Who can forget Jamdat Mobile Inc.'s Lemonade Tycoon? A true classic. I spent a lot of time playing this back in the day and it's nice to be able to pull it up whenever I want now, but it doesn't grab me the same way it did back in the day. Still... fun!

And many more...

csy1j8m.gif

Obviously there's a ton more... including Gameloft and PopCap classics, other adaptations of existing properties, technology-pushing gems like Galaxy on Fire and more. I would love to know what else people have fond memories of playing from this era of gaming. There's something fun about the simplicity to these games - no IAP's to be found here (unless you count the menu option for "BUY MORE GAMES" many have.)

Oh, also, there's a Garfield JRPG. I'm not kidding, it's ridiculous. Paging Jeff Gerstmann because I feel like this needs to see the light of day in some capacity. Just look at this thing:

V1vDFtz.gif

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Gameloft actually just released a collection of a bunch of their old Java games on Android as part of their 20th anniversary:

play.google.com

Gameloft Classics: 20 Years - Apps on Google Play

Game collection pack with over 30 Gameloft titles from the last 20 years

I'm not going to say the games are particularly good, but it's cool to see an often-forgotten part of mobile gaming history getting officially preserved. It's not on iOS for some reason, maybe because Apple is so strongly against emulation of any kind.

OP
OP
yckmd_

yckmd_

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Gameloft actually just released a collection of a bunch of their old Java games on Android as part of their 20th anniversary:

play.google.com

Gameloft Classics: 20 Years - Apps on Google Play

Game collection pack with over 30 Gameloft titles from the last 20 years

I'm not going to say the games are particularly good, but it's cool to see an often-forgotten part of mobile gaming history getting officially preserved. It's not on iOS for some reason, maybe because Apple is so strongly against emulation of any kind.

Yes! I should have also mentioned, that was another part of the nostalgia that got this era of gaming percolating in my head. It'd be cool to see more official releases of compilations like this!

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
The only game I remember fondly from the era was Ancient Empires, which I remember being a pretty good fantasy Advance Wars clone (that I played before I even knew what Advance Wars was). Apparently it has a fan made remake an android and ios now.

I also remember playing an R-Type remake, which was pretty garbage. Trying to play anything requiring precision on these old phone keyboards was just painful (both figuratively and literally).

Oct 26, 2017
G-Mode is bringing their Java games to Switch as part of G-Mode Archives! Sadly no news on a localization yet, but this is so fucking cool!

www.gematsu.com

G-Mode Archives feature phone title ports announced for Switch

G-Mode has announced G-Mode Archives, a new project to bring its previously released feature phone titles to Switch via the Nintendo eShop.

Sega had their Sonic Cafe games which featured the white whale of a Chao game; Good Friend Chao! and to this day nothing exists of it outside of screenshots and a logo. It always looked PERFECT as a DS game. They should've ported it as part of Sonic Rush. Huge missed opportunity. :( Hope they can get those games on Switch as well.

OP
OP
yckmd_

yckmd_

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
The only game I remember fondly from the era was Ancient Empires, which I remember being a pretty good fantasy Advance Wars clone (that I played before I even knew what Advance Wars was). Apparently it has a fan made remake an android and ios now.

I played Ancient Empires briefly and it seemed cool. I love that there's a fan made remake on Android, I'll have to give that a go as well!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yes! There were so many worth playing mobile games back then, and they're lost forever :( Even pretty decent Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia games.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
What a timely thread - just yesterday I randomly had the idea to download a bunch of Sonic Java games and boy were they rough. Very neat looks back into the older days of phone gaming, but pretty much all of them played like garbage. It was also very bizarre to see a game as recent as Sonic Runners Adventure have a Java version. It only came out 3 years ago!

OP
OP
yckmd_

yckmd_

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yes! There were so many worth playing mobile games back then, and they're lost forever :( Even pretty decent Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia games.

Thankfully, there's a decent way to emulate these on modern phones.
J2ME Loader is a solid app for Android that offers pretty flexible on-screen control set ups.
play.google.com

J2ME Loader - Apps on Google Play

A J2ME emulator for Android.

RazorbackDB

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing some FIFA or pes game multiplayer on school, it must have been the start of the Bluetooth era I asume but still it was pretty awesome at the time.

I also remember a red ball Nokia game, I think it was called bounce, it was pretty popular to the point of sharing some tricks or cheats for the game in class.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Sonic Unleashed (the only version of the game I like slightly)
Sonic_Unleashed.gif

Crash Bandicoot Mutant Island
overview-5.png

Street Fighter II
St3_2_thumb.jpg

Crash Nitro Kart 2 (Yaya Panda's origins!)
1277479912.jpg

these were my jam <3

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
This looks fun! So many games on the java/j2me platform were these kind of side-scrollers but I have this oddly intense fondness for them haha.
it's fun indeed! Most of Crash mobile games of that era were beat 'n ups, and while this has combat reminiscent of Mind over Mutant (the console game), it also has a good amount of platforming, which is ideal.

not a long game, but you also should expect that given the platform xD