• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
For those unaware "Woke" was long a term in the African American community used to explain nonsense that was cloaked in pseudo Intelligencia .

Example being "The White man put akali in batteries to sap the power of the black man, the very akali that you willifully consume yourself my brother by eating those graham crackers".

The response would be something said in complete sarcasm like" Oh you woke now? Third eye fully open like the rinnegan?"

Comedic examples:

I knew this was going to happen when twitter leftists were using "woke" unironically.

Now horse paste eaters are using it with reckless abandon, only a matter of time they start wearing Ankhs. The funny thing is these folks are fringe and largely ignored in the AA community. But they become leaders in the white and the right communities.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Being an alt-right wokist comes with a starter pack of talking points that arrive via a weekly facebook meme subscription, like "it's not really horse paste, it's an award winning medicine for humans, now please don't pay attention to the people getting denied the human version by real doctors and instead opting to destroy their livers with the horse paste version"

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Being an alt-right wokist comes with a starter pack of talking points that arrive via a weekly facebook meme subscription, like "it's not really horse paste, it's an award winning medicine for humans, now please don't pay attention to the people getting denied the human version by real doctors and instead opting to destroy their livers with the horse paste version"
amazing how programed they are, when you ask them what woke is you can see the bouncing beachball as they try not to be bigoted, even when they want to.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel about "fake news." It started as calling out Trump on his bullshit before it was co-opted by thin blue line MAGA hats referring to the LAMEstream media.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
it was bound to happen. we come up with something and then it gets morphed and later abused by people outside the group. I can say that I am surprised that it took so long.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I'm not sure there isn't a concept right-wingers haven't co-opted and attempted to turn back on the left. Like "critical race theory", for example.

Oct 26, 2017
This just reminds me of an acquaintance telling me that Wizards of the Coast is, "....all woke now" because of changes they're making in Dungeons and Dragons.

Never knew the history of the word.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just reminds me of an acquaintance telling me that Wizards of the Coast is, "....all woke now" because of changes they're making in Dungeons and Dragons.

Never knew the history of the word.
Woke to alt right types now means "Anything that isn't Far Right ideology "

Female protagonist? Woke. Racial Minority protagonist? Woke. LGBT protagonist? Woke.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
It went through the same arc as the term "politically correct".

- Originally it was a joke term among people on the left.
- Then it became something taken serious on the left.
- Then it became a term of mockery on the right.

May 21, 2018
It never fails to amuse me how much the right centers their thinking and ideology around labels and buzzwords/phrases.

It's real convenient too. You can instantly tell where they lean on the political spectrum if they start using specific terms like "woke" or "sheeple", and phrases like "shove down my throat".

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I JUST got off the phone with my mom....and she unironically used "woke" to describe the company 3M (fuckin LOL) because they'll be mandating my brother to get the vaccine.

A lot of arguing lead up to this point and ensued after and just........... I'm sick of her.

Fuck.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It's lost all meaning and as you can see in the post above, it's now being used for anything they don't like.

I'm waiting for someone to call a company woke because they installed low-flow toilets, or a person woke who goes to the doctor.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Half of the shit reactionaries throw around was appropriated from largely black and other minority lingo.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I gotta love how most terms and signifiers the left uses are taken over by the right and destroyed of value

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel about "fake news." It started as calling out Trump on his bullshit before it was co-opted by thin blue line MAGA hats referring to the LAMEstream media.
White supremacists tried to co-opt the word genocide to refer to multiracial couples, it's just what they do to language.

Words can be used to convey some sort of idea, or they can be used as a tool to achieve some kind of effect. These types are particularly fond of the latter, so they like to take words that might be used against them and refit them as bludgeons to be used against their opponents.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I think I skipped the middle step. I knew about it's use in black vernacular, then pretty much immediately coopted by bigots. I'm not really sure what context leftist people used it in but I can imagine the cringe of unironically declaring wokeness.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If white people stealing culture and style from black people makes you angry you could easily become a real life Hulk with a dash of Gamma radiation.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Forgive me if I shouldn't use the term as a whitey, but what do we call these people instead of Ho-Teps? Bonus points Slayven if you can direct me to a specific episode of TBGWT where Rod and Karen discuss this, especially Rod because I know he has specific opinions on these things.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if I shouldn't use the term as a whitey, but what do we call these people instead of Ho-Teps? Bonus points Slayven if you can direct me to a specific episode of TBGWT where Rod and Karen discuss this, especially Rod because I know he has specific opinions on these things.
I can't think of a exact one. But I am reminded of Rod trying to do the reverse by trying to make white people eating cheese the equal of black people eating watermelon. That was a great running joke

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah basically any time I see the word "woke" 99% of the time it's some alt right douchenozzle upset a minority is included in a game or whatever. Extremely aggrivating. I despise it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Basically projection and co-opting terms/symbols has been part of the right wing playbook for longer than any of us have been alive. The Nazis were pretty good at it.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
French conservatives have been trying to make this a thing these past few years by saying the youth is getting influenced by the dangerous American "woke culture" "wokeism" (using the English word) and I'm just shaking my head every time I hear this shit

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard the word woke in a positive sense. Twitter ran with it for what felt like ages lol

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Aye. "Getting canceled" or "canceled" was another phrase used ironically that was co-opted by people who have now formed a culture war around it. Add it to "fake news" like ElectricBlanketFire mentioned, which was originally used to accurately respond to viral news about Hillary Clinton having a stroke or Nancy Pelosi having a stroke giving a speech when right wing news ran with it, pre-Trump, and then Trump jumped on it and like ... by 2020, rising coronavirus cases were "fake news," and all of the news was "fake news media," and what not.

As far back as I ever heard the word "woke" used, it was used ironically.

Slayven , you might like this if you haven't read it before. Might be the first time 'Woke' appeared in print, in 1962, and it's an essay about how lexicon of black people in English speaking countries gets co-opted by white people and then the meaning changes. "If you're woke you dig it," by WIlliam Melvin Kelley.

here it is from The Times Machine if you're a member

timesmachine.nytimes.com

If You're Woke You Dig It; No mickey mouse can be expected to follow today's Negro idiom without a hip assist. If You're Woke You Dig It

ON the subway the other day, aimlessly reading advertisements (a New Yorker's pastime), I found, along with those posters insisting that I use a new twelve-inch cigarette and frequent a certain ...

ZGU71v.png

ZGUOpC.png

Last edited:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It never fails to amuse me how much the right centers their thinking and ideology around labels and buzzwords/phrases.

It's real convenient too. You can instantly tell where they lean on the political spectrum if they start using specific terms like "woke" or "sheeple", and phrases like "shove down my throat".
That's because that's all they have, it's not like conservative policies would endear people in tough living situations.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Yes indeed yes indeed my brotha! 😂😂

it's been copied by the ivermectin eaters. I think it's been misused by leftist allies as well and why it was taken.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But Dog the Bounty Hunter told me I had permission to use WOKE as much as I wanted to, cause he was part of some tribe!

Edit:

I'm guilty of not understanding it's true/original meaning. I always thought the unironic use just meant someone who was aware of life's inequities in general, and wanted them fixed. The right just uses it to mean anybody who won't let them be racist and/or misogynistic.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
French conservatives have been trying to make this a thing these past few years by saying the youth is getting influenced by the dangerous American "woke culture" "wokeism" (using the English word) and I'm just shaking my head every time I hear this shit
Goddamn if these shitbags could have a single original thoughts in their collective heads they would invent their own talking points instead of waiting something like 5 years before translating a shitty American talking point.

It really is true that every single accusation is an admition of guilt from them.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
My bigoted ass dad uses 'woke' as a catch-all to refer to anyone that isn't a boot-licking rightwing racist shitheel. Mostly brings it up and references completely made-up nonsense news stories he saw online, like "they're outlawing referring to anyone as man or woman" or "you'll be fined if you eat beef" etc.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
A few weeks ago I saw an article on Twitter about how NBC was considering rebooting The Office and the responses were filled with people saying they would just ruin it with wokeness and how it couldn't be made today and I felt like I was entering an alternate reality.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reactionaries here are running scared that the sky is falling because of "wokeism", it's their new thing, as they hadn't had a moral panic in three minutes, and there's a presidential election looming.

It's like the SNES days, it takes two years to cross the ocean and you only get the shitty ones.