• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Heya folks!

Ah, the tragedy. Sometimes... it's not so escapist in our larger than life fictitious spaces. 😞 But when a good yarn is a good yarn, it could make for experiences, characters, and imagery that linger on in the mind, in the veins beneath the skin. *nod* Something like that.

SO what are some not-happy story endings that served as great, if bittersweet, closers to their chapter? ^^'

I, for one, must raise Flowers for Algernon... one of the most crushing, but resonant, turns of phrase this side of the century.

8132y9s1R5L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Romeo and Juliet, by Frank Dicksee

Mekanos

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 17, 2018
The original Devilman manga. Doesn't get more unhappy than the apocalypse and Satan winning.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
So many. I love an unhappy ending

Fight Club (the book)
One Hundred Years of Solitude - the GOAT downer ending
Grapes of Wrath. Maybe most Steinbeck, actually? But especially this one
Requiem for a Dream
The Mist
Brokeback Mountain
Song of Achilles
A Little Life
Never Let Me Go
Abandon Me - (big spoilers in spoiler text) - this one is special, because it's a memoir the author wrote while she was with the woman who she thought was her forever person. But in the writing of the book, she realized that it was a breakup story…and just kept writing it. It's almost unbelievably brave and sad

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
…I kind of don't want to talk much about any examples, because that would be spoiling stories that I like.

I really liked the ending of Worm. An excerpt from the final chapter (pre-epilogue):

"Would you do it all over again? Knowing what you know now? Knowing that you end up here, at gunpoint?"

"I… know I'm supposed to say yes," the words made their way past my lips. "But no. Some-somewhere along way, it became no."

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Both parts of The Last of Us

Last edited:

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Cyberpunk Edgerunners.
Protagonists who fail in some regards are sometimes my favorites. Sometimes your best isn't good enough. Sometimes you fail to learn from the failures of others
The series is amazing, but I legit still had to go bed right after finishing it because I felt life had no meaning.

The original Devilman manga. Doesn't get more unhappy than the apocalypse and Satan winning.
Hell, Crybaby as well. Guess everyone has a heart. 😭

Mekanos

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 17, 2018
Hell, Crybaby as well. Guess everyone has a heart. 😭
I enjoyed Crybaby, but as an adaptation of Devilman I had some gripes with changes to the story and ending. But I also get why they did it because adapting the manga ending as-is would probably be seen as anticlimactic.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cyberpunk 2077 really makes you regret choosing the "get cured" options in both base game and DLC; but I love that kinda cruel twist, it's perfect for a setting and series like this.

finally-played-a-dlc-ending-v0-mh87wk9orshc1.jpg

cyberpunk-edgerunners-gif-1.gif

Never Let Me Go made me hold my pillow hard. A heart-wrenching love triangle, but it ends very poorly for everyone involved (like, no even "heartbreak" but hopelessness). It's a movie about clones, fyi.
tumblr_mt1kvdgU5P1rm4dhuo1_500.gif

630fb6a1c8627b9b4666ed3caaa1fac867207aad.gifv

Bridge to Terabithia remains one of the cruelest ways to market a trailer ever. But uh yeah this literary classic punches you in the gut by the end, and doesn't care that you're probably a tween reading it (which is arguably the point, and a great tale for the kids who have endured a traumatic event).

tumblr_mrffutUaDs1rdf3p6o1_500.gif

mGYk3g.gif

Last edited:

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the original Silent Hill Good ending (which I believe is the canon one) is a good example of this. I guess it does end up being happy later on as we find out in 3, but that seemed like quite some time later.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
All Quiet on the Western Front. The original film and novel. I love how understated Paul's final fate is. That he could have been anybody and what happened to him could have happened to anyone, completely forgotten and unknown.

The more recent film overplays its hand by having it happen literally on Armistice Day. It defeats both the point of the the original and the actual title of the book.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
I've been kinda mulling over what kind of an ending it actually was for the Brave New World book. I thought it made sense but not sure to categorize it as either happy / unhappy or just as the way it is.

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
The ending for Twin Peaks is still haunting me...

Cooper seems so sure of him that he can manage to save Laura by creating some kind of alternative time line...
Only for it to end in a scream and all lights going brutally out.
The fear and confusion this ending creates is incredibly amazing to me. It's not 100% clear what is happening, but it's so terrifying.

Aug 31, 2019
I know this is the non-gaming side so you probably mean non-gaming fiction, but I think the "bad" ending of The Witcher 3 is by far and away the best ending of the game

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
my most recent favorite might be midnight mass. it's a short list though.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Reilly, Ace of Spies

Staring the always incredible Sam Neil. Watched it on PBS with my dad when I was a kid. I was not prepared for the ending.

He's marched out to a snowy field and shot with no ceremony.

I've been kinda mulling over what kind of an ending it actually was for the Brave New World book. I thought it made sense but not sure to categorize it as either happy / unhappy or just as the way it is.
I would definitely file it under "not-happy". I get you, though, it has a pretty fatalist vibe. Nothing changes and nothing is going to change.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
I would definitely file it under "not-happy". I get you, though, it has a pretty fatalist vibe. Nothing changes and nothing is going to change.

Yeah, I think fatalist is a pretty good way to put it. Just think it did something right since I am still reminded of it anyway haha.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
The ending of the The Bone Clocks is brilliant. Totally grim but completely reframes the entire story

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022
Seven

Blue Valentine

The Mist

The Wailing

Oldboy

One Day (movie)

Whiplash

Lala Land (debatable that it's a bad ending)

Fate Zero (goat anime for me)

Seeking a friend for the end of the world

Last edited:

Sadire

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 31, 2017
A Bittersweet Life has a not so happy ending, I still love it. Especially the sort of feeling you get during the credits.

During the ending credits, the main character shadowboxes his reflection and that reflection slowly fades. He finally looks happy, this probably links back to his lonely life and how meeting someone finally made him happy.

I like that film a lot, even though it ends on a very sad note.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
In some weird kind of way, the ending of Z by Costa-Gavras is this and the reason it is so absolutely powerful. But I only can tell all in spoilers because the context matters.

So the reporter and the state lawyer set everything in motion independently from each other to reveal that the leaders of the fascistic police force did indeed cause the murder of the sole other candidate of the opposition, who was far more liberal (or democratic?). They got charged with first degree murder and the rest of the world now knows what happened. Everything rejoices, the opposition has the feeling that it has a chance to win against the current fascism-hiding-as-a-democracy party. The movie has only one minute left or so, so we get to the credits now, no?

Forget that. In just one minute, the scene switches to the reporter in the studio telling us in short what happened afterwards. The party drops all pretense, erects a dictatorship, puts the opposition leaders into jail or kills them and pardons everyone in the police force that was charged with murder. In the last 30 seconds, the narrator changes because the reporter himself was charged and thrown into prison and the dictatorship forbids so many things even down the letter Z because it was used as a slogan for the opposition.

And yes, that pretty much mirrors what happened in Greece around 1967. The movie states in the beginning that it is fully intentional

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
La la land certainly comes to mind for me

Slightly more ambiguous but I think still fits the bill

Oct 30, 2019
For me it's got to be Fahrenheit 451 (maybe because I just read it but…)

I mean, literally having to reteach society all of the literature and what it means to be a human being after a tragic war rips everyone and everything apart, that's got to be one of the most profound yet sad moments I've read in a book. (and while yes one could argue that this could be a new beginning, a new start for the society to right its wrongs, was it worth it to have some part of mother nature/ people/ buildings destroyed in order to get to this? Because if things got this way in real life, I wouldn't want this. To have everything gone, but only a select few who remember certain books, to never feel the touch of one in my hand again or smell that wonderful smell when I get a new one off the shelf, this would be my absolute hell.Not only that, I would wonder if society would ever get to the point where people would have free thoughts and feelings. Idk maybe this one is just me but I know when I finished the book I was so saddened by the ending but yet so amazed by the writing,

Sep 2, 2023
So many. I love an unhappy ending

Fight Club (the book)
One Hundred Years of Solitude - the GOAT downer ending
Grapes of Wrath. Maybe most Steinbeck, actually? But especially this one
Requiem for a Dream
The Mist
Brokeback Mountain
Song of Achilles
A Little Life
Never Let Me Go
Abandon Me
I really enjoy a number of these, so I will have to check out the ones I haven't. One Hundred Years of Solitude especially is such an incredible book. And yeah, Steinbeck was not one for happy endings. The Winter of Our Discontent, while somewhat ambiguous in its outcome, is also devastating.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
A very old one, the ending to "She, The Ultimate Weapon" / Saikano (Saishū Heiki Kanojo).

Absolutely depressing.

The_Hitcher89

Mar 14, 2019
Blackadder Goes Forth ended the only way it could, and was perfect

Life Is Strange is devestating as a big fan of
Chloe - Not even the fact and way that she dies, but the way you have to make it so that she dies without experiencing the rekindling friendship with Max

Outer Wilds gave me a sense of existential dread

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
So many gundam endings in the UC side of things. And IBO and Thunderbolt in more recent memory.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Se7en
The Last of Us
The Descent
The Wrestler
Memento
La La Land is the perfect bittersweet ending

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The Young Ones
Blake's 7
Casablanca
Soylent Green/ Omega Man/ Planet of the Apes
ST TNG- Yesterday's Enterprise
ST City on the Edge of Forever
DS9 Children of Time
Of Mice and Men
Hateful 8
Scarface
Chinatown
Every Episode of the Incredible Hulk
Brazil
Halo: Reach

Oct 25, 2017
So many.Just a few:
SOMA
Blindsight
Se7en
Arlington Road
The Mist
Life
Gone Girl
Spoorloos
The Thing

Outer Wilds has a brilliant ending, maybe my favorite in any medium, but I'd say it's more bittersweet than outright unhappy.

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion
La La Land (although it's debatable if it's actually a sad ending or not)

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
The Young Ones
Blake's 7
Casablanca
Soylent Green/ Omega Man/ Planet of the Apes
ST TNG- Yesterday's Enterprise
ST City on the Edge of Forever
DS9 Children of Time
Of Mice and Men
Hateful 8
Scarface
Chinatown
Every Episode of the Incredible Hulk
Brazil
Halo: Reach

Brazil is awesome. Shame that Terry Gillian is a tool nowadays, the man really could direct a movie