• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I love DS and DS3. Love Bloodborne too. Have played and beat them many times with many different builds. I love the games. But Dark Souls 2, I hate so, so, so very much.

Let's start with the movement. The exactness you need in navigating the world is just not there.

Enemy placement is not thought out well. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have the only way to survive is to have barrels explode should be fired. Sure, maybe one part, would be fine but it's like this around every damn corner.

The pursuer. He's not a hard boss but you have to fight him like 3 times in the first hour of play. Why? Did they just run out of ideas or assets?

Diminishing health. When you die your health bar shrinks. When you die a lot, the game just punishes you more. I get it, Dark Souls is suppose to be hard, but it's not difficult just to be difficult. Dark Souls 2 just wants to troll you without teaching you the best way forward.

No grinding allowed. In most Souls games you get stuck, you grind a bit, level up and you get through it. Not in DS2. Kill the enemy enough times and they just disappear.

Life gems. So you have like Zero estus and the healing animation is brutally slow. On top of this you have these shitty life gems that are supposed to help. But they heal you so slow you are dead before you get the advantage.

So, in conclusion, you have half a healthbar, enemy hordes that make no sense, no human effigies because you can't farm to a certain point. At some point the game just becomes a burden rather than a puzzle to figure out. Fuck Dark Souls 2.

Android 18

Jun 26, 2018
Were any of its problems addressed with the PS4 release? I was thinking of starting this up at some point, because I finally beat the first Dark Souls recently and had fun with that.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering you mentioned facing the pursuer a bunch of times, I guess you're playing Scholar of the First Sin?

Dark Souls II isn't a great game, but Scholar of the First Sin is hot garbage, stay away from that version.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. It's a good game. it's flawed, yes, with many of its flaws highlighted by you in the OP, and maybe it doesn't hold up as well to its immediate peers, which include among their ranks some of the greatest games ever made, but this whole "Dark Souls 2 is not a good game/is a bad game" shtick Era likes to go on is the most hyperbolic nonsense I have ever seen. You don't know what a bad game really is if you think Dark Souls 2 is one.

Joker13

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's dog shit compared to the other souls game but it's a good video game on it's own

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You pointed out a lot of the issues I have with the game. I still think it's a good game, just a shitty Souls game

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pursuer in DS2: "LOL Pursuer? He dies very early and is never seen again until NG+"
Pursuer in SOFTS :" WTF the Pursuer actually pursues your character now? Fuck you FROM"

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
It is, but it is not as good as the others.
If Dark Souls 2 existed in a world without Dark Souls to be compared to, it would be fine.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
At least Dark Souls 2 eases you into half health when you die, Demon Souls had you that way after 1 death. Dark Souls 3 isn't quite half health, but it's similar!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You guys must play some pretty shitty games.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The only game in this entire franchise (including Bloodborne) that I actively disliked playing for a while. Not sure when I'll finish it.

gabriex555

Oct 27, 2017
I agree especially with the enemy placement and the Pursuer ones. If i may add, i also strongly dislike the impact feedback, all hits feel like they have no impact at all which wasn't an issue with previous games. I do kinda like the game though, don't get me wrong, it's just that there are some parts of it that feel so... rushed and not tought out at all

Also, ugly tiled textures.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also get the ring that reduces total health loss. And didn't DS1 and demons cause health loss upon death too? And DS3 kinda did with the burning system

reminio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln, UK
The only Souls game I hate. I think I got to Drangleic before I just said fuck it and gave up. It's a shame because it had so much potential.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Diminishing health. When you die your health bar shrinks. When you die a lot, the game just punishes you more. I get it, Dark Souls is suppose to be hard, but it's not difficult just to be difficult. Dark Souls 2 just wants to troll you without teaching you the best way forward.

No grinding allowed. In most Souls games you get stuck, you grind a bit, level up and you get through it. Not in DS2. Kill the enemy enough times and they just disappear.

Life gems. So you have like Zero estus and the healing animation is brutally slow. On top of this you have these shitty life gems that are supposed to help. But they heal you so slow you are dead before you get the advantage.

I actually think the diminishing health and enemies that don't respawn infinitely were interesting additions. But yeah, life gems are pretty lame.

Personally, I think it's an okay-decent game, but an inferior Souls game.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
No it's actually a really good game. You just thought some things were minor inconveniences. You never need to use life gems..I'm not sure what you mean by zero estus. Diminishing health was in DeS..get a ring that makes it's a non-issue or just don't die. There are a ton of bosses in the game. The pursuer just makes things more exciting. You can grind all you want by leveling up the area. Never had a problem with the movement.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really worth rehashing this discussion that's been done to death? Those who like it will continue to do so, those who don't won't.

Enjoy whatever you want. Move on.

Also, Majula's music haunts me.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Dark Souls II is my favorite in the series. It fixed all the flaws of the first game like the lack of fast travel, lack of checkpoints and cheap bosses, and has great new levels.

Obviously Bloodborne and Dark Souls III are better, but DSII improved the original in every single way.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Dark Souls II is my favorite in the series. It fixed all the flaws of the first game like the lack of fast travel, lack of checkpoints and cheap bosses, and has great new levels.

Obviously Bloodborne and Dark Souls III are better, but DSII improved the original in every single way.
Look I prefer 2 to 1 actually because I'm weird - but the worst parts of 1 happen after you get fast travel.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the change to The Pursuer in SOTFS.

Otherwise, it's a super bloated game for the most part, with a lot of filler bosses and areas. It's still pretty good, but by far the weakest game across the Souls series.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
My love for Dark Souls combat made me tolerate the game, but not counting Demons Souls it's definitely the worst in the series. The combat feels worse than any other game in the series, needless to say that still doesn't change the fact that it plays better than any other ARPG out on the market.

The majority of DS2's level design is just the worst which is so disappointing coming off of DKS's 1. Ugly areas that often felt more like corridors with little thought put into the layout. The game suffered from lack of cut content. There were areas in that game that had absolutely no point other than to add more content to the game, at its detriment.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
base game is average but the 3-part DLC is fantastic and takes the game to another level

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. It's a good game. it's flawed, yes, with many of its flaws highlighted by you in the OP, and maybe it doesn't hold up as well to its immediate peers, which include among their ranks some of the greatest games ever made, but this whole "Dark Souls 2 is not a good game/is a bad game" shtick Era likes to go on is the most hyperbolic nonsense I have ever seen. You don't know what a bad game really is if you think Dark Souls 2 is one.
This.

Anybody who says DS2 is a "bad game" is objectively wrong. Especially it's 3 DLCs, which are some of the souls experiences you can get out there.

Superman 64 is a "bad game", DS2 is a fantastic game that is overshadowed by its even better, almost immaculate peers.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fucking seriously

OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
base game is average but the 3-part DLC is fantastic and takes the game to another level
I've started and stopped playing the game more times than I can count. I'm trying to get to the DLC. I hear it's amazing. But I just can't keep playing without wanting to uninstall it.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget the endless gangbangs around every corner.

Your character moves so slow and every action consumes like half your stamina bar. Meanwhile every random enemy is wailing on you like superman. Combat feel is shit, and I remember it being super hard to chain attacks because each attack pushed the enemy back just far enough where my next attack would whiff. Even ignoring the rest of the problems, on a fundamental level the game is just frustrating to play. I had to force myself to get as far as I did, and I don't think I ever finished it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Nah games a solid 8. It's just waaaay more RPG stats and builds focused than the others. It's weaker overall than the rest but not bad or mediocre.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
DS2 is the only one that makes me want to quit after a few hours. I tried to play it again a couple of weeks ago and it feels like a bad mod for DS.

You can say it's not a bad game on its own and you have a point, but it's really hard to judge it ignoring the fact that all the other games are much, much better.

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
I find it really hard to believe you've played truly bad video games before, OP. Go dig through the bowels of the late 80s/early 90s and you'll be astounded what people were paying $80 after inflation for...Also, Dark Souls 2 came out in 2014, how is this a hot take? A non-conforming opinion is not a hot take.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I tried my honest best to play DS2 vanilla right after finishing DS1 and was immediately put off by it. The movement and animation feels so floaty and weird, the enemy placement and some of the level design choices were baffling, the game swings rapidly between looking fairly nice to shockingly bad, and I think I didn't enjoy a single boss fight of what I managed to play through except Flexile Sentry, because every other boss felt like I just circle strafed around a humanoid dude to slap them in the back of their legs. I got like 5-10 hours into it? It just felt bad playing it.

Mind you, I didn't finish DS3 either but I got like twice as far in and only really stopped because of burnout on Souls (I moved on directly after quitting 2). Maybe leaning a lot on 1, but I was perfectly fine with that aspect.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought SotFS was pretty fun since it changed up the enemy placements. Actually, I think I might prefer it to the base version even though I enjoyed that one as well. Anyway, I've always wondered how the game would have turned out if it were not for the development problems.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Even a shitty Dark Souls is still far better then any non Dark Souls game.
That said, DS2 is rad, best game.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't say I agree with your title, OP. I think DS2 is a great video game, just not a very good Souls game. Had it been the very first title released in the series, I'm sure it would have turned a lot of heads. Heck, even as it is, the game got near-universal praise from critics and a pretty positive reception from the community all told.

That being said, I did play Scholar of the First Edition for the first time about half a year ago; I'd completed 7-8 playthroughs of vanilla a while before. Oof. Yeah, one time was definitely enough.