• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.bbc.com

Rishi Sunak sets out plans to tackle 'sick note culture'

The PM wants to strip GPs of power to issue sick notes but Labour says he has run out of ideas.

In his speech, Mr Sunak said a "worrying" proportion of younger potential workers were among a record high of 2.8m people out of work as of February 2024.

"There's nothing compassionate about leaving a generation of young people to sit alone in the dark before a flickering screen watching as their dreams slip further from reach every single day," he said.
Cruelty is the point. Maybe address working conditions?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Absolutely abhorrent, and it wouldn't suprise me if jelly spined Kier Starmer just agreed with him because that seems to be what he does now a days.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
"There's nothing compassionate about leaving a generation of young people to sit alone in the dark before a flickering screen watching as their dreams slip further from reach every single day," he said.
wtf is this quote.

Because I know when ever I'm sick with the flu and am unable to work, my thought is for sure "it sure is a bummer that my dreams are slipping away because I called out sick 3 days in a row".

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Good job they'll be fucking off soon, general election can't come soon enough.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the point was trying to create an enemy to rally potential voters with. They have tried to make alleged benefit fraudsters the enemy for years.

dose

Oct 29, 2017

Seik

Banned
Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
"There's nothing compassionate about leaving a generation of young people to sit alone in the dark before a flickering screen watching as their dreams slip further from reach every single day,"
Yeah, the dream of working 40+ hours a week against your doctor's recommendation as it would be a detriment to your health.

What a dream to miss out on.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
They're gonna try and cause as much damage as possible before they get the boot.

Dec 2, 2017
Man it's been so long and they tried so hard but various governments have largely failed to make 'benefits cheats' the public enemy no 1 they want them to be.

Oct 27, 2017
It's especially stupid as your GP will still be your first port of call if you're sick. And if they think you're unable to work, they'll presumably have to refer you to a seperate, privately-run, Work Capability Centre, where you'll be examined again by someone who may have little-to-no medical training. And only if they think you're unable to work, will they issue you a 'fit note' (not joking: they're the replacement for sick notes, and specify what kind of work you're still able to do with your illness).

And all that for potentially some time off work and £116.75 a week statutory sick pay (except for the first three days of your illness, where you get absolutely nothing).

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
What I just... do not get with this, is how exactly he expects this to have any kind of reasonable turnaround.

Even if he somehow finds enough people to staff this without it turning into a rubberstamp measure that's driven by metrics to 'keep people working', which I doubt, people need affirmations of their state of health quickly. Sure, you can self-diagnose up to a week and all, but a lot of people might not realise they're in for the long haul until they're most of the way through that since, y'know, that's typically the point at which they realise they have more than a passing stomach bug. So what is the rate at which someone can reasonably expect to plug into this service and get an 'assessment' versus checking in with their local GP?

I bet Sunak thinks a fucking week would be fine

Meanwhile, buried further in this repugnant pile of ideas:
Mr Sunak also said, if the Conservatives win the general election, those who were still out of work after 12 months after support from a work coach will have "their benefits removed entirely".

Because of course, the solution to people not finding work is to make them straight up homeless

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
So.......

More people are off sick cos of increased waiting list etc... a problem that has got worse cos Tories

I had to go for a "fit note" a few months ago cos of mental health issues... It was a struggle to even get an appointment... When I did the doctor basically couldn't help me but just wanted to give me SSRIs... They signed me off for 12 weeks

During that time the NHS didn't have anything else to offer me... Everything was a massive waiting list, or they didn't know what to do...

I saw so many people it was always like starting at square one...

In the end I was lucky my employer offers full sick pay and self funded therapy (partly funded by work health insurance as well) and it has taken 6 months to get back to myself...

This "announcement" absolutely infuriates me quite frankly cos it's just a symptom of a broken system... Not even bothered to deal with the root causes that the Tories have created and made worse...

Fuck off sunak

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So.......

More people are off sick cos of increased waiting list etc... a problem that has got worse cos Tories

I had to go for a "fit note" a few months ago cos of mental health issues... It was a struggle to even get an appointment... When I did the doctor basically couldn't help me but just wanted to give me SSRIs... They signed me off for 12 weeks

During that time the NHS didn't have anything else to offer me... Everything was a massive waiting list, or they didn't know what to do...

I saw so many people it was always like starting at square one...

In the end I was lucky my employer offers full sick pay and self funded therapy (partly funded by work health insurance as well) and it has taken 6 months to get back to myself...

This "announcement" absolutely infuriates me quite frankly cos it's just a symptom of a broken system... Not even bothered to deal with the root causes that the Tories have created and made worse...

Fuck off sunak
Sounds like the usual "break the system, then sell it for parts" the right wing loves to do

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
The Tories have uttered countless out of touch and vile takes throughout the years, but I think this might just be worthy of a top 10 "shit Tories say" compilation.

I only hope this tanks their chances of being re-elected all the more.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's been so long and they tried so hard but various governments have largely failed to make 'benefits cheats' the public enemy no 1 they want them to be.
Us immigrants take no 1 spot.
And they've already squeezed that vegetable all they can for the time being so they're moving onto the next vulnerable group.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Sounds like the usual "break the system, then sell it for parts" the right wing loves to do
It is....

But also just the usual Tory nonsense that resonates with the daily mail / express etc...

Like Angela Rayner's possible accidental underpayment of £1,500 in capital gains tax being front and center of the news when sunak and his wife dodge literally millions in tax every fucking year

logiejames

Nov 15, 2017
UK
This is probably the idea of some tory friends at Capita or The Arseholes formally known as ATOS asking for another ££££ job given how terribly they have done with the PIP assessment process.

They've gone to little rishi with their caps in hand begging him and his team of clowns to help them. Thus Rishi has jumped at the chance to put something else in the headlines other than tory corruption, polls, and his general ineptitude.

If only people had concentrated on that horrid cheat Angela Rayner! Yes! It's all her fault! Now we have to attack disabled and sick people again!

Also! This is all corbyn's fault! With his commie hat! 😭😭😭

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Absolutely desperate from Sunak. Taking rights away from GPs when his own family probably freely gave out health advice as pharmacists. If you want to increase productivity then you need to invest in the NHS to maintain a healthy workforce.

What i'd give to see him signing on down the jobby, how much more of this are people going to take

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who does this help 😂 Can we please implement stuff that helps people, ever?

Jesus christ, I almost want robot workers... certainly beats shit heads like this trying to force people to work themselves like ones.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Been outa work for 2 weeks for a slipped disk currently. Not sure what you want me to do Mr Sunak just fucking cripple myself?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing compassionate about purposefully blowing up the nations relationship with the EU while outright knowing it would cause all the issues it's currently causing and more in the future and fuck over younger people for generations.

There's nothing compassionate about fucking over younger people constantly for 14 years with things like fees to get a good education they shouldn't have to pay.

There's nothing compassionate about fucking over younger people who are barely making it by because of your policies destroying all local infrastructure via constant budget cuts so that whole towns are left run down and with less and less jobs for them to get and even if they can there's less money for them to earn because everyone is being fucked six ways to Sunday on cost of living.

There's nothing compassionate about doing a collective fuck all for 14 years to try and get affordable housing produced so younger people can get onto the housing market.

There's nothing compassionate about spending 14 years destroying the health service to try and do the "it doesn't work so we have to make it run by private companies" shit that the tories always desperately wanted.

There's nothing compassionate about telling people who are protesting a genocide that's still ongoing that they are terrorists.

There's nothing compassionate about taking away peoples rights when they in convenience your party.

There's nothing compassionate about changing the law in awful ways just so you can send those seeking a better life off to another nation to deal with because racist bigots are too stupid to not see that as a stupid fucking idea.

There's nothing compassionate about being involved in parties and other shit that wasn't meant to be allowed while denying people even the chance to say goodbye to their dying family during a lockdown.

There's nothing compassionate about constantly giving cover to multiple racist assholes simple because they are in your party or in some cases just paid you bunch of money

There's nothing compassionate about refusing to let trans kids have access to life saving healthcare they need because you're too fucking stupid and bigoted to understand what actual experts tell you and you're too fucking stupid to not know you're a dipshit for thinking you somehow know better than those experts

There's nothing compassionate about putting people who need benefits for disabilities or illnesses to just survive through the constant ringer for 14 years with stupid assessments done with the sole purpose to take money from those who need it to live.

There's nothing compassionate about a single fucking thing the tories have done while in power so to now pretend this is where compassion needs to be thrown in, for a stupid fucking thing being the cherry on top, sure is something.

As always, go fuck yourself Tory scum. Also once again, anyone who has voted for this party, supported them or defended them at any point in the last 14 years is a disgusting piece of shit and deserves 0 respect. Not a single one of them is anything but a fucking giant piece of shit and they can all get fucked.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
This isn't a new thing, really. I vaguely recall the rigmarole myself and my parents were put through twenty years ago because my GP really thought I needed proper support (multiple disabilities, mental health issues, ATTEMPTED YOU-KNOW-WHAT), but the DWP weren't convinced.

BUT HAVE YOU TRIED MINDFULNESS???

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bit rich of him to be criticising people not working when he'll be out of a job soon enough himself.

A bit like the Rwanda plan this is just completely unworkable never mind the morality of it all but they never really want to address the root cause of issues anyway and just go for cheap headlines they think might play to their ever-decreasing base. They're fully in the sling enough shit and hope it sticks stage of policy making.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
wtf is this quote.

Because I know when ever I'm sick with the flu and am unable to work, my thought is for sure "it sure is a bummer that my dreams are slipping away because I called out sick 3 days in a row".
Not to defend any of Sunak's abhorrent nonsense but you can (currently) self certify for 7 days. On day 8 of illness (including weekends) an employer may ask you to get a fit note but is not REQUIRED to.

Very much hoping this part of the rules doesn't change because I suffer from Lympoedema and often need to take a week or so off work due to cellulitis...

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
No doubt the wankers are thinking about using an "AI powered counsellor" to get people with depression back to work.

Will probably end up being outsourced to Serco with some guy in India following a flow chart.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
As if the young have any chance of achieving their "dreams" (I'd love to know what Sunak thinks those dreams are).

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Because of course, the solution to people not finding work is to make them straight up homeless
Or just die? One less person to pay benefits to!
top-guess-lll-die

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Everything they do feels so desperate and nasty.

Given how far away Rishi is from being actually elected (remember, he lost to Liz Truss of all people), I'm genuinely in "how dare you" territory nowadays.

How dare he and his rabble do this and half the other shit they're doing with no public mandate behind them.

Get.

OUT.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Stuff like this truly amazes me

Are they that out of touch that they genuinely think this will help.

Are they that stupid that they think this somehow gets them additional voters?

Or are they that spiteful that they want to fuck up things on there way out?