• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I say this because Sony is for sure going the same route as PS4. They will probably announce a PlayStation Meeting in January to reveal PS5 in February.

PS4 was revealed in PSMeeting 2013 and Xbox One was revealed in a similar fashion on an event that happened in April 2013.

Do we think Microsoft is doing something like that again now that Series X design was already revealed?

In the Phil Spencer interview we had, he said E3 2020 will be a big moment for them, which makes me think they are probably waiting to blow their load their instead of mitigating it into 2 events?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Doubt it. There'll be a trickle of interviews and tidbits from Phil, alongside a few random developer comments, and possibly some light leaks/hints from various insiders.

Thereafter, I presume that there'll be a big blowout event in March/April, hot on the heels of Sony's PS5 reveal which is supposedly coming in Feb. E3 2020 mightn't be marked by a console reveal, but it will obviously be a big moment for them - it's basically gaming's biggest stage, as well as the industry's largest pissing contest.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
They'll most likely have a Series X segment at every Inside XBOX event from now on.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope not. A gap of 6 months for Halo Infinite between beta and release would be fucking pointless.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Sony just makes one big announcement with a couple of games and all the informations we need. That show Microsoft is pulling is getting a bit annoying. We still know almost nothing about the new Xbox and they are talking about it for over a year now.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
GDC/XBox's direct equivalent will have game announcements maybe a few additional trailers. Finalized specs I think are E3.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
E3 is the next big thing. I wouldn't hold your breath for GDC; it's not really meant for public consumption.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
It will be awhile. I now need to know what the PS5 looks like, because I cannot get over the design of the newest X-Box. It's a PC tower. I'm praying Sony doesn't follow suit

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Probably, we might get a couple of other 3rd party game announcements for it in the meantime though.

E3 has the potential to be fire.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say this because Sony is for sure going the same route as PS4. They will probably announce a PlayStation Meeting in January to reveal PS5 in February.
I think Sony should attend E3 2020. I don't think they've written it off, so they might be. While I do think E3 has generally sort of lost some of its charm in the last two years or so, attending E3 before the November launch would be more optimal than the alternative (not attending), unless they've got something much bigger planned for shortly after E3. They'll want to build as much hype and momentum as possible throughout the months in 2020.

They can't have the meeting in January/February and then not do anything else after that until launch. That's a long time of nothing happening in-between, so they'll still need a big event to attend after that.

As for Microsoft, I do think it'll be awhile before we hear anything again since they just had their reveal today. Both of them are still playing the waiting game regarding specs/price, so that'll be annoying to wait through.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
They only showed off Lockhart right? I imagine if that's the case we'll probably see Anaconda sometime after the PS5 reveal and before e3.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, we'll get tidbits of info here and there and some game announcements from devs (Also coming to Xbox Series X!), but the main blowout and software showcase will be E3, yes.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

PS4 was revealed in PSMeeting 2013 and Xbox One was revealed in a similar fashion on an event that happened in April 2013.

Do we think Microsoft is doing something like that again now that Series X design was already revealed?

In the Phil Spencer interview we had, he said E3 2020 will be a big moment for them, which makes me think they are probably waiting to blow their load their instead of mitigating it into 2 events?

One hundred percent. They will let Sony go in February or march and then really double down at e3 showing the games etc and doubling down on the power advantage etc.

Almost perfect approach really. They've already told the world they are more powerful, shown an insane teaser in hellblade 2 and now it's over to sony.

No one expected to see the box or a trailer at vgas

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
That is like a surefire way to kill Xbox One sales further over the next 11 months...

1) this gen is already winding down in HW sales for PS4/Xbox one
2) the type of person buying this late in the game is not gonna be dissuaded due to looming next gen as they are late adopters not early adopters.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
2) the type of person buying this late in the game is not gonna be dissuaded due to looming next gen as they are late adopters not early adopters.
3) The much touted backward and the limited forward compatibility.

But still, youd have to be pretty impatient to buy now.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure. Obviously we still dont have the specifics on what's inside the box so I wouldn't mind finding out between now and E3. Maybe save E3 just for games really and see what exclusive shit MS got coming and keep releasing tidbits up until that point.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

The PS4 is going to remain a pillar for Sony's gaming division for years still, and while the Xbox One doesn't have the same value and selling power for MS, it is still a very cheap entry point into their ecosystem. Even late adopters can be distracted by the next model since consumers are fickle, so it would be a lot smarter for them to push the current Xbox systems in this nearly full year before the new generation hits.

The sales are already dead

Were in winddown

If they are still shipping them to retailers then they aren't dead. I'm sure MS wants to keep selling Xbox Ones till November 2020

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure there will be one big reveal event anymore. I picture a handful of Nintendo direct events. Show off the new controller in one, show the hardware in another, then the OS, maybe a more technical look at some point etc. Keeps the conversation on them over the months leading to E3 which will be focused on games and price and launch date.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The PS4 is going to remain a pillar for Sony's gaming division for years still, and while the Xbox One doesn't have the same value and selling power for MS, it is still a very cheap entry point into their ecosystem. Even late adopters can be distracted by the next model since consumers are fickle, so it would be a lot smarter for them to push the current Xbox systems in this nearly full year before the new generation hits.

If they are still shipping them to retailers then they aren't dead. I'm sure MS wants to keep selling Xbox Ones till November 2020

They announced the one x a year before launch and people said the same thing.

I'm sure ms have done the math and this is obviously all in line with what they expect.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's certainly captured my intrigue already but I don't think they'll wait until E3. I think their strategy is likely to try and dominate the conversation about next gen and take advantage of Sony's relative silence as of late. I think we'll get monthly or bi-monthly updates where they can fit it in, even with their own presentations if need be.

Revealing this early was no mistake. They wanna give the impression that they're first on scene just like with the 360.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony should attend E3 2020. I don't think they've written it off, so they might be. While I do think E3 has generally sort of lost some of its charm in the last two years or so, attending E3 before the November launch would be more optimal than the alternative (not attending), unless they've got something much bigger planned for shortly after E3. They'll want to build as much hype and momentum as possible throughout the months in 2020.

They can't have the meeting in January/February and then not do anything else after that until launch. That's a long time of nothing happening in-between, so they'll still need a big event to attend after that.

As for Microsoft, I do think it'll be awhile before we hear anything again since they just had their reveal today. Both of them are still playing the waiting game regarding specs/price, so that'll be annoying to wait through.
No way Sony is dropping E3 next year.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
They announced the one x a year before launch and people said the same thing.

I'm sure ms have done the math and this is obviously all in line with what they expect.

I mean, they only did that because they were up against the ropes and people were even wondering if MS was still going to make consoles at that point. They are in a much better position now

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
There are a lot of big drops on March i feel like after that the things will get wild.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony just makes one big announcement with a couple of games and all the informations we need. That show Microsoft is pulling is getting a bit annoying. We still know almost nothing about the new Xbox and they are talking about it for over a year now.
Seems like we know just about everything except for the price and the exact date. We know the specs, what the console and controller will look like, the name, and that it will play everything that runs on a Xbox One and all your accessories will work too. Not really much more to know lol.

Last edited:

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I mean we know the specs now (leaked by jez and confirmed in newest interviews with Phil). We know it uses xcloud to play games immediately while downloading locally. You can suspend and resume multiple games. All previous accessories ie. Controllers work with it. SSD for little to no load times. Hell we even know what it looks like now. Aside from price which we NEVER get before e3 what more info do you want?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's E3 or best for more SX reveals. More interested in the games now.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, they only did that because they were up against the ropes and people were even wondering if MS was still going to make consoles at that point. They are in a much better position now

Their sales have reduced since then, they aren't in a better position.

You could argue that perception of the brand is shifting but it is not turning into a large uplift in sales.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not sure about dates but I think there are two more quarterly financial reports before the xSeries launch.

Not that it was very informative recently but we could grab infos.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Their sales have reduced since then, they aren't in a better position.

You could argue that perception of the brand is shifting but it is not turning into a large uplift in sales.

But their sales were on the upswing after they had a shiny new midgen upgraded Xbox. The problem was that the novelty of it wore off about 12-13 months later. And well Xbox doesn't have the PlayStation or Nintendo selling power.

Still, people have a lot more faith in the brand, but that doesn't necessarily equate to appeal.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'm curious if this allows third parties to more freely talk about their projects. If so, the flood gates might have opened up.

Aug 23, 2018

Go read the gamespot article with Phil Spencer. We know more about the New Xbox than we do PS5

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that it was a terrible idea to announce the xbox series x like it did yesterday, it felt like it left as soon as it came, I would have loved more hype for the build up, or being saved as the last announcement, is weird to think that the SeX was announced before a fast and furious game

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should have a reveal event bofre E3. It would be strange not to. Phil seems to like the news dropped in the lowest profile of ways, though. Xbox One had one, but this thing was announced in a 5-minute segment at an awards show. They don't know how to do hype anymore. Why not have your own event with a countdown to it?