• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

After the demoshave actually been played, will you buy Anthem?

• Yes

Votes: 326 18.3%
  • No

Votes: 873 49.0%
  • Not at launch, but will see about later on

Votes: 582 32.7%

• Total voters

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have no faith in both EA and Bioware right now. Even if the game is good I see no reason to support it at launch when I expect various issues to arise due the long dubious history from both parties. If the game truly is good, I will get it later.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Unless i hear the story sections are great, I'm leaving it for 6 or so months and then looking at the what changes have been made and what the buzz is.

Was very underwhelmed by the demos

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
It's unfathomable to me that in a Loot game, you cannot even inspect your loadout mid-mission. Like, I get that it's "a choice" to lock equipment so you can't change mid-mission. But you can't even inspect? You gear makes way more of an impact than it does in Destiny for example.

Even changing gear is exceptionally painful compared to every other loot game.
  • Leave current mission
  • See XP / Loot
    loading screen
  • Run to the Forge
    loading screen
  • Open the specific Javelin
  • Change gear
  • Walk to Javelin
  • Select Mission
In Destiny & Diablo, you always have access to your inventory and gear even if you can't change it. You screw up in a locked equipment encounter, you go back to Orbit or Town, make your changes immediately and reload. Anthem is a terrible experience and that's even before you get into the whole difficulities with the above and keeping your party together.

They've made some impressive changes quickly, like adding the Social Space, but the fact that they shipped this as a demo and only made these changes at the 11th hour makes me deeply question what decisions they're making with this game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nope. Poor PC performance (only when it rains, but it dropped really really low), bad controls, uninspired universe and bad mission design. Who thought that fighting against a boring boss while dealing against endless minions was a good demo idea?

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a wait for me. I thought it was fun enough to play, but it does not address my big fear which is story and endgame(it's a demo so it could never address the endgame). I'm not convinced that either will be good, the demo makes me think the story is gonna be worse than I thought. I also didn't like the NPC area, the slowness, the first person, the menus felt like a mess. Just overall didn't make me want to buy it.
So I'm waiting to hear the impressions, see how the campaign goes, and how the endgame goes over the course of a month or two.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
No idea, will probably wait to see how it looks after reviews. I do know the loading screens were way too often and very long even on PC.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I don't feel like playing the multiplayer portion of a larger game that's been ripped out and Frankensteined into a separate product to try and bandwagon in on the Destiny/MTX train.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm not too put off by the performance since those things tend to be updated pretty quickly. I'm just ready to explore the world and I like learning about the incremental changes.

That's just how these light mmos play out.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I think there is a probably a pretty good game in there but I don't think its going to be there from the start. If I pick it up (which is not a given) it won't be for several months after we see how it develops and hopefully a price drop.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness I have Origin Access Premier because I got so frustrated with the technical issues of the VIP demo (and, to a lesser extent, the public demo), I wouldn't think about buying it day 1.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Was interested because i like the destiny formula, but anthems world and characters seemed dull, its shooting didnt feel fun and i just dont like enemies that have tons of health.

Enemy design was also uninspired and had the whole destiny 'explore grasslands with random caves'

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically I already own the game because it came free with my 2080, but ignoring that for a moment, the demo did not install me with a huge amount of confidence. It was dull and didn't grab my attention. The world and characters are boring and uninspired. The gameplay is generic. The whole game feels like it was designed by six different focus groups.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
No. Demo ran terribly on my PC and game itself was lackluster overall.

I doubt I'll even play for full 10 hours of the 99 cent Origin Access trial.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. It felt like crap to me on Xbox One X, and I had trouble aiming. It was much nicer on PC, where I could get the framerate in the 60s-70s (with rare drops below that, at 1080p), but it just didn't seem like an interesting game to play.

I just felt like I "got my fill" of it, even though I played it very briefly, and did not enjoy myself while actually playing it.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to play at 1080p to get consistent 60FPS on my GTX 1080Ti powered PC. That was one of the most unoptimized things I've ever played on this PC. Not buying.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll eat the crow. I updated my graphics card to the new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 and apparently Anthem comes free with it *while supplies last

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Movement is impressive and I think the map design is pretty good. Combat seems theoretically good -- I love that it's pretty movement-reliant and really urges use of multiple abilities/tools if you're playing solo, but the performance on PS4 Pro (which is where I'd play it) threw it out of acceptable bounds for me.

I'll see about updated optimization and staying power post-launch and think about picking it up at a later date, but the demo was enough to get me intrigued into keeping an eye on the future of the game but also determined that I will definitely not purchase and play at launch.

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
No. The combat is spammy, and aside from the jet pack the movement is jerky like Inquisition. The graphics are technically impressive but the world they've built with them is lifeless and boring.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It's unfathomable to me that in a Loot game, you cannot even inspect your loadout mid-mission. Like, I get that it's "a choice" to lock equipment so you can't change mid-mission. But you can't even inspect? You gear makes way more of an impact than it does in Destiny for example.

Even changing gear is exceptionally painful compared to every other loot game.
  • Leave current mission
  • See XP / Loot
    loading screen
  • Run to the Forge
    loading screen
  • Change gear
  • Walk to Javelin
  • Select Mission
In Destiny & Diablo, you always have access to your inventory and gear even if you can't change it. You screw up in a locked equipment encounter, you go back to Orbit or Town, make your changes immediately and reload. Anthem is a terrible experience and that's even before you get into the whole difficulities with the above and keeping your party together.

They've made some impressive changes quickly, like adding the Social Space, but the fact that they shipped this as a demo and only made these changes at the 11th hour makes me deeply question what decisions they're making with this game.

Is this real? Jesus, I never even thought of this.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
NOPE, I canceled my pre-order on Xbox I still have a 10-hour trail but really disappointed in the game and what I played.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I played mostly solo on PC where I didn't run into too many issues. Performance was okay on my GTX 1070 and Core i5-4690K at 1440p Ultra. I acknowledge that not everyone had my great experience with the demo, and that it was, overall, a pretty disastrous and terrible sampling of the game. Having said that, in my opinion, Anthem is one of the best shooters that I have ever played due to the mobility, abilities, and enemy variety that seems to actually matter (snipers limit your mobility; the destroyer's seeker mines prevent you from turtling up; the enforcers with big shields and flame throwers burn you down if you let them get too close and may require some precise shooting and/or combos to take down; enemy storms inflict status effects). After the demos, I'm actually more confident in my pre-order.

Last edited:

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Maybe a few months down the line. The gameplay was fun but there's not enough content that warrants $60, then there's the microtransactions and Christ knows what else. So I think it's best to wait and see how things work out.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
As with most online focused games, for me personally I prefer to wait and see how it holds up and not have to deal with issues like glitches affecting gameplay. I haven't been too excited by Anthem, it's style doesn't appeal to me but if it works out then great!

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I have week to find out what the final build looks like from MTX to Performance before my pre-order even kicks in on the 22.

I actually love how some people can play it a week early so us peasant have a week to react.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
I am just that not into it plus its EA so easy pass, luckily my friend kept crashing while trying play both Anthem and Apex. So no Origin games for me :D

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Nope, definitely waiting to see how launch goes. Have some friends who will be playing as they're in Origin Access Premier, so I'll be looking to see it is for them.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for launch version impressions and comparisons.

Hoping the best for BioWare.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait for reviews, like I always do.

But the game didn't leave a lasting impression on me, so I'll wait for a couple months I guess.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
  • Leave current mission
  • See XP / Loot
    loading screen
  • Run to the Forge
    loading screen
  • Change gear
  • Walk to Javelin
  • Select Mission
This is destiny one bad.

Which was
  • Goto orbit
  • select planet with vault
  • loading screen
  • Run to vault
  • back to orbit
  • loading screen
  • select mission.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I won't be playing it even though I have EA Premier, the Beta was enjoyable enough, but I have the time or commitment to any GAAS. Especially the times I play on my PC. I cannot remember the last time I played in the evening.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not really for me. A dedicated single player story campaign would have interested me but the multiplayer focus / Destiny like structure puts me off. It could easily turn into a grind fest.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Once it hits $30, sure.

So maybe a month or so after it's release by current trends.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I was mildly interested and the reveal looked incredible. The inevitable downgrade soured me. Didn't play the demo unfortunately, but watched some streams and impressions. From what I've seen, it doesn't look too hot. So no buy at launch, but I've learned from the past that those games can really improve over time. So let's see what the time will bring.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably not day 1. Maybe if I upgrade to a Pro or X. It was fun but I don't see myself making the time for it.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Ill go with the division 2 if tomorrow beta isnt catastrophic, but im interested in a future sale.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Demo killed any hype I had for it. I could POSSIBLY see picking it up when it hits 30 or less, if the game gets some improvements and the community starts giving it some good feedback, but as it is what's here is not worth my time. It's a shame as the world is beautiful, but technical issues and crappy menus, along with a gameplay loop that isn't very rewarding/just isn't very fun on top of feeling a bit too much like a wannabe Destiny means that there's little to no chance that I jump in anytime soon. Even playing it with friends (who all hated it) couldn't save it.