• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Apparently unless I go into threads and make definitive statements in regards to the entire market (which is beyond irresponsible and wouldn't be fair to the sales community either) I should be doubted.

You would think me putting disclaimers that the data I present looks a certain way but the rest of the market might not would be considered a better sign that I'm trying to be truthful with everyone.
Just put those people on the ignore list, the vast majority of the posters here appreciate your input a lot.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna be "that guy", but............... Well, let's just say that this user don't like Switch at all, you can clearly see this from his posts in "others sites".

Of course he don't believe Benji, you can be sure that if Benji was saying PS4 would outsell Switch by a huge margin in December, he would no doubt about him.
Ah, I actually didn't even realize what Benji had said, i just jumped in on the last page and saw what was going on. I do know of the other poster's history, but I was lacking the context. It makes sense now.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Wouldn't there have to be a sudden upswing in BRIC nations to help PS4 close the gap on PS2? Japan isn't there anymore as a domestic market. Wouldn't surprise me if North American and European sales hit the same heights though. The price curve has been better than PS3 from the start.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize to everyone this thread has gone off the rails. I don't want to steer conversations to be around / about me. I shouldn't be responding to stuff like that as it just gets the whole thread off the hinges.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wouldn't there have to be a sudden upswing in BRIC nations to help PS4 close the gap on PS2? Japan isn't there anymore as a domestic market. Wouldn't surprise me if North American and European sales hit the same heights though. The price curve has been better than PS3 from the start.

The fact that PS4 is keeping the pace of PS2 while Japan is way behind means the ROTW sales are bigger than back then for now.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 had astonishing long legs. Launch aligned Wii for example was above PS2 for many years. It is the tremendous sales numbers of the PS2's last couple of years which makes it (almost) impossible to beat. Especially in a market environment with 3 healthy competitors. And that BRIC upswing you talk about already happened. Just led to 1% of China playing PUBG on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there may be some misunderstandings or something is being lost in translation.

My read of the other poster is that he believes that Benji's data either under represents the PS4 and Xbox One or over represents the Switch based on the results of last month. I don't necessarily think that means that doubt is being thrown about or that said data is isn't valuable.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I really think that Xbox might surprise us all this month. I totally underestimated PUBG for some reason.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My read of the other poster is that he believes that Benji's data either under represents the PS4 and Xbox One or over represents the Switch based on the results of last month. I don't necessarily think that means that doubt is being thrown about or that said data is isn't valuable.

In regards to this, its certainly possible, especially during this time of year. We are talking about such a large number of units moving things can be dicey to try and predict how other areas are playing out.

I'll say things would have to be strongly, strongly, skewed for Switch to not be a clear number 1, but that is possible. I believe Xbox and PS4 are a tad underrepresented in my current data yes which is why I'm not giving guidance on them.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I 100% apologize for misunderstanding your posts. It was overly reactionary of me to jump out like that. I'm sorry, it can just be stressful sharing info sometimes, just because you have so many people always doubting you. It can lead to becoming defensive and I don't like acting that way. My bad
Can't believe some are still doubting your insights, when you also make it clear it's just from your (large) corner of retailers.

I think that both PS4 and XB1 will do respectable business, but will be down mom due to the insane promos and period of BF.

I think Switch is looking at some very nice numbers probably.

My Dec prediction is thus

NSW. 1.5m
PS4 1.3m
XB1 1.1m

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to this, its certainly possible, especially during this time of year. We are talking about such a large number of units moving things can be dicey to try and predict how other areas are playing out.

I'll say things would have to be strongly, strongly, skewed for Switch to not be a clear number 1, but that is possible. I believe Xbox and PS4 are a tad underrepresented in my current data yes which is why I'm not giving guidance on them.

I completely understand. As always, your insight is much appreciated.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think there may be some misunderstandings or something is being lost in translation.

This. i believe he has data, but don't believe it will match what npd is showing. based on the numbers he's seeing last month. his numbers obviously weren't showing 2:1 ps4 sales over switch or anywhere near that, other wise he would never give a realistic scenerio of switch winning November after black friday.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My one takeaway is I've for sure been providing too much info so I plan to heavily back off moving forward. I love the sales community and I will continue to provide some minor insight, but the fact we can have this much discussion around the info that I'm providing is really all the proof I need I've been too open with it.

This isn't any sort of "punishment" but more me realizing I've been too forthcoming and that sort of thing could come back to bite me in the ass. So I need to provide significantly less moving forward.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

I think it look that way since last month both Sony and MS had record months .
You said they would be over a million ( i think that was given because last 2 years data )
But they were way over a million lol .

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If you want to doubt me about it feel free to PM ZhugeEX if I'm just making up info or not. He's an admin here and would be happy to answer you if I'm legit or not.

The below is for everyone in this thread to read.

Banji is indeed a position where he has access to data that would allow him to have a general overview of the US retail market for console hardware and software. He has proven that to me personally.

Benji also adds a disclaimer to his posts (see the one a few posts up) about how he doesn't have 100% visibility like NPD do.

I never said anything about doubting you, just gave my thoughts. it was a huge gap last month, and just thought the data should show there was no chance switch could win, is that offending you somehow?

Benji is taking time out of his day to share his insight based on the data he has access to. There is no need to continually question him, especially when he has answered you plenty of times.

Doing so only means he is less likely to post here. Need I remind you that his insights last month were extremely useful and ended up being correct.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Doom S at 60k and LA Noire at 86k across all platforms is interesting... different SKU prices means their revenue is very very similar

It will be interesting to see what conclusions Rockstar will make of it. Given the data that we have, it is likely that LA Noire Switch is the 2nd best selling SKU at retail.

GTA V Switch would be so interesting to see.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My one takeaway is I've for sure been providing too much info so I plan to heavily back off moving forward. I love the sales community and I will continue to provide some minor insight, but the fact we can have this much discussion around the info that I'm providing is really all the proof I need I've been too open with it.

This isn't any sort of "punishment" but more me realizing I've been too forthcoming and that sort of thing could come back to bite me in the ass. So I need to provide significantly less moving forward.
Sigh.
It's sad that it's come to this, but I understand.

I hope you won't also back off from posting, we always appreciate your insights, data or not

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh ok cool. Interesting to see how your data comes out this month. It's last month you were not giving hints that ps4/xb1 would win by a big margin over swtich, but this month you are for switch. interested to see the results. personally no way switch is beating ps4 by more then 200k, but we'll see.

You know how people call you a fanboy?

This is why.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh.
It's sad that it's come to this, but I understand.

I hope you won't also back off from posting, we always appreciate your insights, data or not

Of course I will continue posting. I absolutely love talking about the sales industry and wouldn't ever leave permanently unless forced to. I respect the vast majority of the community and hell some like Welfare are some of the best brains I've ever seen in terms of giving valuable insight. I would hate to not be involved with being able to discuss the industry with people like that.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot, indeed /s(igh)

Benji
Hope you'll still join now and then. And leave some bread crumbs when you do... ;)

Oh don't worry I will. Like I said I really like talking with everyone and I know / remember what its like to have no data and how frustrating it can be when you are interested in delving into the industry. That's the whole reason I share what I do is to give back just like there were those that gave to me when I wasn't in a position to well have any sort of info.

Its just more like specifics with my November ranking / estimates with over under a million on certain hardware. I'm not sure giving something that detailed is a smart move in the long run. Its something I will have to think a little more on before repeating again.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo Switch Entertainment System

giphy.gif
Were there any sellouts on your end?

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate when people bother users that are posting information just as a favour, they don't gain anything doing it. Just be grateful.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
umm hard to believe that much of a turn around from November. I'm not sure what's fan boyish about the statement . it just my prediction.

Lets cut through the BS for a second here. The only reason you started calling Benji into question was because he said Switch is having a good December.

Before he said that you had no issues at all. You even agreed with what he posted before and trusted him before.

Anyway. I already made my point in the posts above. Let's get this thread back on topic.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Benji hey, who knows, besides avoiding this career destroying thingy talking about sales developments in general (without being questioned all the time about actual numbers) might be become more relaxing and more enjoyable for you anyhow. Btw, the ignore function in this forum is quite potent. Just sayin.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
The below is for everyone in this thread to read.

Banji is indeed a position where he has access to data that would allow him to have a general overview of the US retail market for console hardware and software. He has proven that to me personally.

Benji also adds a disclaimer to his posts (see the one a few posts up) about how he doesn't have 100% visibility like NPD do.

Benji is taking time out of his day to share his insight based on the data he has access to. There is no need to continually question him, especially when he has answered you plenty of times.

Doing so only means he is less likely to post here. Need I remind you that his insights last month were extremely useful and ended up being correct.

Thanks for vouching for him. I was concerned where this conversation was going.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Lets cut through the BS for a second here. The only reason you started calling Benji into question was because he said Switch is having a good December.

Before he said that you had no issues at all.

Nope i always had a problem with switch having realistic scenario of winning, when it was out sold by 850k. but he already explained this, so we'll see this month how accurate his numbers are to npd.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji hey, who knows, besides avoiding this career destroying thingy talking about sales developments in general (without being questioned all the time about actual numbers) might be become more relaxing and more enjoyable for you anyhow. Btw, the ignore function in this forum is quite potent. Just sayin.

I hear ya, and I've been tested to use it trust me. But I've never put another forum member on "Ignore" on either this forum or the "old forum". Thing is its good to be challenged on your viewpoints on things and who knows, someone I put on ignore may very well end up having a great post / view that I need to see. Even if I've heavily disagreed with them on things in the past.

Honestly its all good. This was a smart lesson to hold back more and as you said, the upside is considerably less stress on my shoulders.

Also thank you Aquamarine for the kind words. Its always great to see you posting!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Another reason why fanboys are why we can't have nice things.

It's like the mere fact someone has access to data you don't means you have to be an ass.

Less stress on leakers is a good thing however so Benji not detailing more info makes their life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.