• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...xpands-its-console-market-by-engaging-mobile/

Mat Piscatella, industry analyst for the NPD group, just released a very interesting article about the expansion of the Pokémon brand through mobile market and how it impacts console sales as well. For those who aren't aware, today marks the release of Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee on Nintendo Switch.

Some quotes from the articles:

According to EEDAR's research, Pokémon Go has tremendous awareness and trial within the mobile gaming community. Over 70 percent of mobile gamers are aware of Pokémon Go, while 29 percent have actively played it. This equates to over 55 million gamers in the U.S. with hands on experience with Pokémon Go. Most mobile gamers (60 percent) still playing Pokémon Go more than two years after launch have been active with the title since its launch.

How does this relate to the pending launch of Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu and Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee? Well, here is where the data really gets interesting. Of currently active Pokémon Go players, 24 percent are also active Switch players. Further, 65 percent of this Pokémon Go player/Switch owner group intend to purchase and play Pokémon: Let's Go. This works out to be roughly 15 percent of total current Pokémon Go players that intend to purchase and play the Switch version of Pokémon: Let's Go.

In addition, more than 13 percent of Pokémon Go players who do not currently play games on Switch intend to purchase and play Pokémon: Let's Go. This is a large group of individuals that intend to buy Nintendo Switch primarily due to the presence of Pokémon: Let's Go

I recommand you a full read of the article.

Throw a Pokéball at me if old.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Let's Go sales is gonna send Era into a tailspin of despair.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Pokemon Let's Go sales is gonna send Era into a tailspin of despair.
I expect it to sell well, I just don't expect it to hit new generation numbers. In short, I'm expecting OR/AS numbers rather than X/Y or Sun/Moon numbers, especially with Gen 8 waiting to cut Let's Go's legs short.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope these games set new records. I love what I played last night, and can't wait to get home so I can play more.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So......
That really equates to, about 8 Million people are going to buy a Switch, just for Pokemon Let's Go.

In the US alone.

Just wow. Sales numbers are going to be through the roof because of this, and this doesn't even equate Smash with the equation. It will be really interesting if these numbers come to fruition.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I think this is the first great solid example that a mobile game brought people back to the console mainline game.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Not in the US, but I am inside that 15%
Also, if numbers are correct, mama mia it's gonna sell gangbusters.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see how this pans out. A lot of people on social media are super excited about the game today, so I feel it's going to do better than most people expected.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to sell well, I just don't expect it to hit new generation numbers. In short, I'm expecting OR/AS numbers rather than X/Y or Sun/Moon numbers, especially with Gen 8 waiting to cut Let's Go's legs short.
Pretty much where I'm at, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it does even better. It's still a Pokémon game.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
13% * 76% = 10% of Pokemon Go active playerbase is going to buy Switch to play Pokemon LGP/E?
That sounds big if true. ERA is going to have meltdown if this number is reflected in the sales.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I know people who are buying a Switch for this game. Having Meltan be an exclusive was a genius move.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
In addition, more than 13 percent of Pokémon Go players who do not currently play games on Switch intend to purchase and play Pokémon: Let's Go. This is a large group of individuals that intend to buy Nintendo Switch primarily due to the presence of Pokémon: Let's Go

I mean, if you extrapolate this globally then we're looking at something like 8-9M Switches and Pokemon LG sold to people who don't have Switches. Assuming ~80-85M monthly GO players (which I think was just confirmed).

That would be insane.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
13% * 76% = 10% of Pokemon Go active playerbase is going to buy Switch to play Pokemon LGP/E?
That sounds big if true. ERA is going to have meltdown if this number is reflected in the sales.
This is what I'm confused by. Are a large number of people really saying that Let's Go will bomb?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note however that "want to buy it" doesn't equal to "will buy it", there's always a minor loss in the meantime.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That will make the Pokemon fanbase even bigger when Gen 8 will hit. The Pokemon brand is in a very good place right now.

Plus people are really enjoying the game, so it is a good entry point :)

Oct 27, 2017

I jest, but it's a valid question. Mat is speculating that LG will sell better than expected due to the awareness form those who play PG, yet the data from Benji is stating the opposite. We all know the game is going to sell to someone, but how it sells and who it sells to will undoubtedly lay out the future of Pokémon games moving forward.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm confused by. Are a large number of people really saying that Let's Go will bomb?

Nah I think people just want it to bomb, but most don't think it will.

I jest, but it's a valid question. Mat is speculating that LG will sell better than expected due to the awareness form those who play PG, yet the data from Benji is stating the opposite. We all know the game is going to sell to someone, but how it sells and who it sells to will undoubtedly lay out the future of Pokémon games moving forward.

All Benji has said (from what I've seen) is that preorders are down compared to traditional Pokemon games.

And that makes sense if this is going to succeed with a non-traditional audience, as non-traditional audiences typically don't preorder.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. Some few are and people pull the hivemind argument on everyone because of that.
It was pretty obvious that this would sell well and only a few delusional people actually doubted that.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I don't think people have said Let's Go will bomb. Maybe "bomb" by Pokemon standard, but Pokemon's "bomb" is something 90% of the industry wish to have reached.
The biggest question from the article is how big is this so called "active Pokemon Go playerbase"?
The only hard number the article give is 55m people have hands on experience of Pokemon Go.
I'd assume the current active playerbase is much lower than that.
Anecdotally in my country the queue for Let's Go today seems like usual Pokemon release (i.e. very long).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll stick to the usual prediction of around 10M. LG just won't have the window of opportunity to go beyond that since there will be another game next year

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything will be alright. We don't need this "layout for the Pokémon future" that you're trying to push. The layout was set 20 years ago.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people have said Let's Go will bomb. Maybe "bomb" by Pokemon standard, but Pokemon's "bomb" is something 90% of the industry wish to have reached.
The biggest question from the article is how big is this so called "active Pokemon Go playerbase"?
The only hard number the article give is 55m people have hands on experience of Pokemon Go.
I'd assume the current active playerbase is much lower than that.

Anecdotally in my country the queue for Let's Go today seems like usual Pokemon release (i.e. very long).

IIRC the average global monthly user rate is somewhere between 65-85M. No idea about the US.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think it'll do a lot better than most are expecting. Both Pokemon and Smash will destroy this Christmas.
Define "better than expected", 'cause I already said where my expectations are at (which I feel are reasonable &, honestly, pretty damn good). Are we talking best-selling Pokémon game to date? That would require long legs after launch, which likely won't happen thanks to Gen 8 coming next year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Define "better than expected", 'cause I already said where my expectations are at (which I feel are reasonable &, honestly, pretty damn good). Are we talking best-selling Pokémon game to date? That would require long legs after launch, which likely won't happen thanks to Gen 8 coming next year.
Games have come after one another. This is Pokémon. They barely take a year off. These games can easily sell over 10 million.