• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, Dragon Quest XI set the record for Dragon Quest releases and sold more than twice the amount of the previous series record holder (revenue). Not too shabby.
Good to know. SE really need to change release date of some games.
edit: Excuse me ZhugeEX , you already edited that Xbox sales part after your post?

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft have shown for years they are willing to aggressively cut prices to drive sales.

Where should Sony drive the sales to especially in the Gen you mentioned?
The PS2 went on to sell 150+ Million Units while the Xbox fought with the Gamecube in the 20 Million Range.

The same is happening in this Gen.
Its the clear dominator in this Gen - Even at that price it is completely outselling the X1 since the beginning of the Gen when MS started to drop the price insanely low especially in Europe.
Sony would be stupid to let money from individual units on the table just to push some "sales statistic" they are clearly dominating anyway no matter how low the competition drops.
Price and Power aren't a deciding factor anymore in this Gen - Its the brand and mindshare.

At the numbers...

Its good to see Fifa is growing in NA.
It shows that the sport itself got more interest from the people over the past years and shows steady growth.
Finally Fifa is showing significant growth over there too.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what happens when you take a popular IP AND make a great game with it.

It's amazing how many games only got one of those parts of the equation correct.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The craziest thing is:

NBA 2k19 had the BIGGEST launch ever for a sports title.

And Spiderman SURPASSED IT.

Let that sink for a minute. NBA. Multiplatform. Most popular sport in America. Insanely popular game.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Spider-Man, totally deserved it.

While I didn't have fun with DQXI 100% of the time, I'm glad it charted; spent 80 hours on it and played it to its conclusion for a reason

On the Nintendo side of things, Mario Party doing that well with so few days is impressive, as is Monster Hunter actually charting. DBFZ though... man...

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So last year the two racing giants went head to head and Microsoft cane out on top. This year is a different story, which is why Microsoft is on a buying spree trying to diversify its lineup. If Forza is really taking a break for 2019 next year's NPD will be interesting.

Also, Nintendo just taking a breather, I just hope talk of a new Switch revision doesn't dampen sales during the non-holiday months.

NYSports1

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
User banned (one week): attacking another user, console warring
It does say they are proud of the continued partnership so I doubt they'd say that if this was the last year.

You know who said the same dumb PR statement? MS when they had the deal....You read to much into PR talk....We get it you got a Sony tat but ease up and maybe you would make more sense.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Congrats to Spider-Man. What an amazing game. It deserves all this success.

I expect TLoU 2 beating everything next year. It's gonna be a monster.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Mega Man on the charts with only 5 days of sales, awesome. Small victories are still victories!
I am holding out hope that all these sales figures amount to MM11 getting much needed Protoman, Bass ( and hopefully roll too) DLC. It hasn't sold crazy high numbers, but it is doing great for a MM game and considering its budget, it should be enough for Capcom to greenlight any DLC waiting in the wings.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, I'm done blaming 3P. No Fifa, NBA, or Dragonball is crazy. This is coming at a time when 1P was supposedly "weak".

I imagine they aren't far out of the top 10. For reference 2K never made the top 10 last year either. Xenoverse 2 was 7 and Fifa was 8.

Mario Kart, Splatoon and Zelda were all in the top 10 for Switch. Odyssey came out the next month and hasn't left the top 10 since. Pokken, Arms and Rabbids have been replaced by Tennis Aces, DK and Mario Party. I would think that it's possible these titles did okay and just got pushed outta the top 10 by the every greens. Mega Man 11, Monster Hunter and Crash still made the list which to me implies that their is probably a chunk of newer releases just below them.

Oct 28, 2017
The craziest thing is:

Let that sink for a minute. NBA. Multiplatform. Most popular sport in America. Insanely popular game.

Everything you said is totally correct, and I agree, biggest sports game launch, multi platform, simply ridiculous. BUT, American Football is still the most popular sport in America. ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Right and now all of a sudden with the biggest game this year they got bundles and all of a sudden in the last 2 weeks PRO consoles are showing up at best buy and gamestop.

WOW....Shortage....
Nah, it's also a common practice to keep surplus stock for these sort of things. Which is why holiday rushes aren't hindered by months long shortages because there's a build up of stock behind the scenes.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Amazing for Spider-Man, extremely happy with my purchase and I'll be jumping on the dlc once they are all out. The wait for the sequel is gonna be crazy.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Where should Sony drive the sales to especially in the Gen you mentioned?
The PS2 went on to sell 150+ Million Units while the Xbox fought with the Gamecube in the 20 Million Range.

The same is happening in this Gen.
Its the clear dominator in this Gen - Even at that price it is completely outselling the X1 since the beginning of the Gen when MS started to drop the price insanely low especially in Europe.
Sony would be stupid to let money from individual units on the table just to push some "sales statistic" they are clearly dominating anyway no matter how low the competition drops.
Price and Power aren't a deciding factor anymore in this Gen - Its the brand and mindshare.

I totally agree with you. No need to drop the price if you are on top and will continue to sell regardless. This is about maximising profits at the end of the day, and even just a few years ago Sony was in a pretty shaky state that they have managed to turn around.

That said, it is important to note that Microsoft certainly were not well priced at the start of this gen. They had the "less powerful but more expensive" stigma for the first 6 months, and dropped the price to match the PS4 in most regions (removing Kinect).

The consequence of lowering prices or having more competitive bundles for Sony would clearly be more sales... but not necessarily greater profits when all is said and done.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually really proud of the X. Going from the OG Xbox One to the X is night and day. It's one of the best consoles ever made in my opinion.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Everything you said is totally correct, and I agree, biggest sports game launch, multi platform, simply ridiculous. BUT, American Football is still the most popular sport in America. ;)

Seems like a matter of time, tho. NBA 2K beating Madden year after year, NBA on social media, NBA in pop-culture...seems like the NFL is going to lose that dominance in a generation.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah Super Mario Party is great. Played it at an event at a local cafe a couple of weeks ago.

The craziest thing is:

Football is the most popular sport in America actually.

Basketball is second. Your point still stands though.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know who said the same dumb PR statement? MS when they had the deal....You read to much into PR talk....We get it you got a Sony tat but ease up and maybe you would make more sense.
None of us have any proof. But I don't see any reason why Sony would stop the relation with Activision. It's been a huge success to them. If PS5 comes out and sells crazy amounts I think they will continue it. Only time will tell.

Crash Bandicoot
Destiny
Cod Marketing

Have all been system sellers.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Wow spidey crushed. I'm really glad dragon quest charted. Hope it did well in SE's eyes. The game is really great

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NBA2K19 becomes fastest selling sports game:
NBA 2K19 debuts as the #2 best-selling game of September, and instantly becomes the 5th best-selling game of 2018. NBA 2K19 achieved the highest launch month dollar sales of any Sports genre game released since The NPD Group began tracking the industry in 1995. NBA 2K19 represents the biggest launch of any game in the NBA 2K franchise, and it is now the best-selling Sports game of 2018 year to date.
FIFA 19 has biggest opening since FIFA 16:
FIFA 19 launches at number 4 on the September charts, with higher launch month dollar sales than any release in the franchise since FIFA 16, and the third highest launch month dollar sales for any soccer game in history.
And yet they didnt chart on Switch? Wtf? What a weird audience.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
The craziest thing is:

Spider-Man must be at 8million right now. And 2K is being discounted for $40 at target.

NYSports1

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
None of us have any proof. But I don't see any reason why Sony would stop the relation with Activision. It's been a huge success to them. If PS5 comes out and sells crazy amounts I think they will continue it. Only time will tell.

Crash Bandicoot
Destiny
Cod Marketing

Have all been system sellers.

NBA2K is the highest selling sports title and had the marketing rights with Sony since the start of this gen. That all ended this year as they moved to MS...Why? When 2K is a huge game that trumps any sports game in terms of popularity and marketing with players and celebrities. MS owns it now because they paid for it and MS has the money to trump any move Sony does

The reason Sony is getting these deals is because Phil does not want to spend the money when he knows the xbox version will not outsell the ps4 version of the game. But things are tightening a bit more and Phil can now go after certain games

He is going after NBA and got it, he went after BF5 and got it and I strongly feel that COD will go back to where it started to gain its popularity next year. That is just my opinion based on COD making no bundle for ps4 as it has always and the DLC is now just a week and not a month...Things that never happen before...

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Mario Party is gonna be big this holiday. All the people on my campus are talking about it as a must have for the Switch(and I know at least 40 switch owners on campus cause it's popular as fuck).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ate a crow on Shadow of TR, it did better than Rise.

Any HW numbers? Switch didn't have any notable news, pretty bad of a relatively new devicd but again they didn't have any notable release

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This reminds me that when I picked up Odyssey at EB I heard one of the guys say they were sold out of standard edition copies of Spiderman. Literally don't have I've ever seen that happen there with a big AAA game.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NBA2K is the highest selling sports title and had the marketing rights with Sony since the start of this gen. That all ended this year as they moved to MS...Why? When 2K is a huge game that trumps any sports game in terms of popularity and marketing with players and celebrities. MS owns it now because they paid for it and MS has the money to trump any move Sony does

The reason Sony is getting these deals is because Phil does not want to spend the money when he knows the xbox version will not outsell the ps4 version of the game. But things are tightening a bit more and Phil can now go after certain games

He is going after NBA and got it, he went after BF5 and got it and I strongly feel that COD will go back to where it started to gain its popularity next year. That is just my opinion based on COD making no bundle for ps4 as it has always and the DLC is now just a week and not a month...Things that never happen before...
Someone did did mention that Sony didn't have a cod bundle last year until after the holidays.

Oct 25, 2017
I ate a crow on Shadow of TR, it did better than Rise.

Any HW numbers? Switch didn't have any notable news, pretty bad of a relatively new devicd but again they didn't have any notable release
Post 818
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...ons-closes-tuesday-october-16th.73103/page-17

But Sony owns the rights to spiderman... So I'd assume its either playstation or nothing
Nah, movie rights didn't have anything to do with how the game came to be.