alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
As long as there are absolutely zero false positives: cool. Miners can go fuck off and buy whatever crap they make specifically for them.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Why stop with 3060 though? Just do it for the entire consumer line except for 3090 or something.
The problem is that the 3090, 3080, 3070 and 3060ti already have drivers that don't have this limitation. Meaning you can just install an old driver and bypass it. In order for such a limitation to work, the VERY FIRST DRIVER you release must have the limitation built in already.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Useless just like last time.

No miner is gonna buy a card that is completely worthless after mining profitability is gone and for the driver.... just don´t update?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
This is so incredibly stupid, it's literally killing the planet for no good reason

just ban cryptomining altogether, throttle performance for those who cryptomine and don't make any new products to people who are destroying the planet. This would be a temporary solution until a political measure is on the table to ban cryptomining and bitcoins et al. altogether

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Useless just like last time.

No miner is gonna buy a card that is completely worthless after mining profitability is gone and for the driver.... just don´t update?
The point is that the LAUNCH driver for the 3060 will already have this. You can't just "not update" your 3060. There are no old drivers for it.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The problem is that the 3090, 3080, 3070 and 3060ti already have drivers that don't have this limitation. Meaning you can just install an old driver and bypass it. In order for such a limitation to work, the VERY FIRST DRIVER you release must have the limitation built in already.
Yeah, point well taken. Wonder if Nvidia will then replace 3070 and 3080 with "Ti" models that will also have built in detection in the launch driver and up.

Oct 27, 2017
Too little too late imo — they should have had this for all models and at launch. Now there are several far more performing models that also have software versions that don't have the limitation. doing this for a lowe card several minors later doesn't really do anything.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Interesting approach. I wonder how easy it will be to use some kind of unsigned/hacked driver to bypass the crypto limitations.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the 3060 is so crippled, would've been a good upgrade for my 1080. Especially when I can almost get my money back 4 years later lol.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Even if they're much more power efficient for mining? Seems like a very desirable trait if you ask me.
I wouldn't expect them to be significantly more efficient when running on the same architecture.
It's unlikely to cover the loss of resale value, and arguably creating a bigger e-waste problem.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think it'll do any good. Even without miners theres so much demand with very little supply cards will still sell out instantly.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That industry is big enough that there's enough resource to warrant custom driver creation.

And that's ignoring that the earlier driver version still exists lol.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this puts a dent in the gpu issue.

For miners who are scooping up all cards anyway, whether or not they decide to leave the normal cards alone is probably a math thing. If these new mining cards don't have resale value to normal people, they need to make up for that lost resale value with better efficiency when mining.

If the (cost of a mining card + its value in mining) > (the cost of a consumer card + its value in mining + the card's resale value), then they'll go for the mining cards, right? So the mining cards likely need to be much more efficient than a consumer card to be worth it.

I don't think the drivers will do much, though. People will just roll back drivers, or hack together something that works for miners.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
That industry is big enough that there's enough resource to warrant custom driver creation.

And that's ignoring that the earlier driver version still exists lol.
Please point me to the "earlier driver version" for the (desktop) 3060

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Theres one thing I'm not getting about this. Nvidia cant get enough resources to produce their current GPU'S at a fast enough rate. How are they planning on producing these and normal GPU's at the same time.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Theres one thing I'm not getting about this. Nvidia cant get enough resources to produce their current GPU'S at a fast enough rate. How are they planning on producing these and normal GPU's at the same time.
Probably banking on the fact that less miners will grab consumer GPUs so they can divide them better. They are selling to miners right now anyways.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Were miners really looking for lower end GPUs? It seems a little late try and lock mining down now.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with this, but it seems insufficient to tackle the problem. I thought miners buy consumer/enthusiast GPUs as a hedge so they can resell their cards if the market tanks.

I'm not sure nvidia really cares if demand for their cards is through the roof or that it's just miners buying their cards. But maybe they're getting pressure from their partners or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing crypto crash and burn
I understand people have concerns with the environmental and GPU supply consequences crypto has right now, but too many people are far invested into the market right now. We're talking retirement funds similar to Roth IRAs at this point. If crypto crashes than a lot of people will get fucked

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Here's hoping we can actually buy this one then. Only lacking a way to stop scalpers now

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I was under the impression large mining operations were using custom drivers. I don't know if anti-mining drivers would be effective for long.

Were miners really looking for lower end GPUs? It seems a little late try and lock mining down now.

There are mining farms using laptops now too. The demand for computational power is ridiculous.