• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
howd you get banned in 5 minutes? anyway, performance drop for extra eye candy. isnt that kind of expected? or is that not how hdr works? genuinely asking.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
howd you get banned in 5 minutes? anyway, performance drop for extra eye candy. isnt that kind of expected? or is that not how hdr works? genuinely asking.
Apparently it doesn't affect AMD GPUs the same way when enabling HDR.

Essentially think of HDR as the next step up from full RGB. You have an even wider color gamut (10bit) and higher contrast(steps between full black and bright white)

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really surprise me that you'd lose performance for doing more shit, but it's weird that AMD doesn't.

nvidia ninjas

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
That's weird. Wonder why. Haven't heard any devs on the console side say there's a performance hit.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I always heard that HDR on PC didn't work properly - are there PC games right now that have good HDR? I finally got a good GPU a few days ago so I might want to give it a shot.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I always heard that HDR on PC didn't work properly - are there PC games right now that have good HDR? I finally got a good GPU a few days ago so I might want to give it a shot.
It doesn't work properly because of some disconnect between the GPU vendor and microsoft. When you start changing settings for instance like color settings, things can suddenly start breaking. Not exactly as straightforward as how consoles do it. The good thing is the latest Windows updates have made it a bit more fool proof but there were still issues the last time I tried using HDR.

Other than that, games with HDR support work and look just fine for me. Can't say I've noticed any performance penalty, but I also have a 1080 ti.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HDR isn't worth the headache on PC at the moment. I tried enabling it for Resident Evil 7 and it went beyond black crush (you can call it black crush 2) making the game unplayable. And then when I exited back to Windows, all the colors were really fucked up. Whites were dim grey, and everything else was super dull and brownish yellow, like a PS360 game from 2007.

Oct 25, 2017
HDR isn't worth the headache on PC at the moment. I tried enabling it for Resident Evil 7 and it went beyond black crush (you can call it black crush 2) making the game unplayable. And then when I exited back to Windows, all the colors were really fucked up. Whites were dim grey, and everything else was super dull and brownish yellow, like a PS360 game from 2007.

None of this has happened to me since the option to enable HDR in windows 10 system settings has been introduced.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

That's a huge bummer as it's genuinely the biggest IQ enhancement since the jump to HD.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember where I read it, but I do remember reading something that MS clocked the GPU of the Xbox One S slightly higher to give the headroom to do HDR. The standard Xbox One does not do HDR.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017

It works for the most part. However it's not intuitive.Some games automatically detect an hdr display and will enable hdr on load, while others require that hdr and wcg be enabled within windows display settings.

Destiny 2 is the best example from an implementation standpoint imo. You don't need to enable hdr and wcg within windows display settings, just enable in game and the game/driver will automatically switch to hdr10. Also helps that it looks really good. Haven't noticed performance drops in that game specifically since the 1080ti can run it in 4k, hdr, at 60fps. However, not entirely surprised there was some performance hit happening that no one was aware of.

Edit: bf1 also has excellent implementation. Just enable in game and enjoy, no need to fuss or enable hdr and wcg full time within display settings.

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day there were performance impacts of going from 16-bit to 32-bit color. I'd imagine it would be similar here.
HDR is not analogous to doubling in color depth. HDR has been utilized in games for over a decade, now it's all tone-mapping the video output to match. Wide-color gamut is its own technology and independent of HDR, though they are often lumped together.

Opera doesn't auto-translate websites (without an add-on) and I don't speak German, but do any of the titles referenced use Dolby Vision as their HDR video output? 5-10 frames per second is a pretty big hit, in my opinion, and I can't make sense of why these are the results.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Opera doesn't auto-translate websites (without an add-on) and I don't speak German, but do any of the titles referenced use Dolby Vision as their HDR video output? 5-10 frames per second is a pretty big hit, in my opinion, and I can't make sense of why these are the results.
I don't think there is any game with DV support, only HDR10.

inspectah

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The strange part is the perf-loss in comparison to AMD:
unbenannt-1bafij.png

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Well I guess my colour blindness is a win here as HDR seems exactly the same to me as SDR.

That's a bandwagon I don't need to jump on with my next monitor, should save me some money lol.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I guess my colour blindness is a win here as HDR seems exactly the same to me as SDR.

That's a bandwagon I don't need to jump on with my next monitor, should save me some money lol.
for me the bightness is more of a difference, you need a 1000+nit tv tho

SuperSplit

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Well not like I'll know anytime soon, shelled out for Samsung CFG73, got one of the good ones too, Red n Greens are fantastic, I'll jump on a 4k 144hz HDR when it's within the €350ish range, gonna be awhile.
Hopefully then performance issues will be ironed out.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
it's because of the bandwidth compression tech Nvidia use i believe, HDR makes that useless, it has nothing to do with HDR on PC itself.
I wonder if Nvidia will fix it for their next gen cards is the better question.

D65

Oct 26, 2017

There's a reason for all of these things. Nevermind though.

Nov 8, 2017
Weird. I assumed that displaying HDR was essentially free.

It should be, since games internally calculate at far higher precision than 10 bit even for conventional SDR games. Considering how fucked windows support has been for HDR (especially on Nvidia cards) it's extremely likely that this is a software issue, not a hardware issue. Even AMD cards should be closer to 0%, not 2% in terms of performance impact.

Nov 8, 2017
From the Guru3D article covering this:

Update, thanks Nizzen for the hint. The performance loss is likely due to the way NVIDIA converts RGB to reduced chroma YCbCr 4:2:2 in HDR (we discussed that previously here) which was used for HDR testing. If they used 4:4:4 or RGB, the performance would be the same as SDR. Considering GSYNC Ultra HD monitors bog down to 4:2:2, this looks the be the most plausible explanation.

Nov 8, 2017
i have no idea how you even enable 4k HDR on PC with 60hz. Is it DVI only??

Displayport for monitors that support it, HDMI works with TVs. The trick is you have to reduce colour bit depth because 4:4:4 60hs 4k HDR is not possible. You can do it without HDR, but you need to switch to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 in order to get it to work with HDR. Not a problem for games (generally), but does cause a problem for reading text on a PC monitor.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Displayport for monitors that support it, HDMI works with TVs. The trick is you have to reduce colour bit depth because 4:4:4 60hs 4k HDR is not possible. You can do it without HDR, but you need to switch to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 in order to get it to work with HDR. Not a problem for games (generally), but does cause a problem for reading text on a PC monitor.
Chroma subsampling doesn't reduce colour depth. It adds colour compression based in the level used.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
It's not about seeing different colours, it's about seeing details from the brighter highlights.

Colour blindness isn't just about seeing different colours, I mistake different hues of colours, HDR is a wider colour range (Due to more brightness and deeper blacks) so more hues.

The issue is in certain colour spaces I see just one colour whereas you would a full range of the spectrum. For example pale pinks like Will just look grey to me, A whole range of Pale reds and Pale orange will just look Brown to me.

The detail of colour is the range of hues in the spectrum, and that is exactly what I mistake for certain other colours or just don't see at all.

As a Deuteranope I confuse very commonly
1. Mid-reds with mid-greens
2. Blue-greens with grey and mid-pinks
3. Bright greens with yellows
4. Pale pinks with light grey
5. Mid-reds with mid-brown
6. Light blues with lilac

Believe me I've looked at HDR content on HDR vs SDR and the difference to me is extremely minimal, I can tell it's different but it's not that mindblowing at all where as people looking at the same can tell a very big difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Colour blindness isn't just about seeing different colours, I mistake different hues of colours, HDR is a wider colour range (Due to more brightness and deeper blacks) so more hues.

The issue is in certain colour spaces I see just one colour whereas you would a full range of the spectrum. For example pale pinks like Will just look grey to me, A whole range of Pale reds and Pale orange will just look Brown to me.

The detail of colour is the range of hues in the spectrum, and that is exactly what I mistake for certain other colours or just don't see at all.

As a Deuteranope I confuse very commonly
1. Mid-reds with mid-greens
2. Blue-greens with grey and mid-pinks
3. Bright greens with yellows
4. Pale pinks with light grey
5. Mid-reds with mid-brown
6. Light blues with lilac

Believe me I've looked at HDR content on HDR vs SDR and the difference to me is extremely minimal, I can tell it's different but it's not that mindblowing at all where as people looking at the same can tell a very big difference.

That's really strange you should still be seeing deeper hues and bigger gradents in the spectrum from really bright to dark. I am a Deuteranope as well though that doesn't mean much as no one's cones are the same.

Maybe it was the content or the setup or something.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zero issues once Windows 10 added the WCG/HDR option in Display Settings.

Resident Evil 7, Assassin's Creed Origins, Hitman, Battlefield 1, Destiny 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda all behaved perfectly with both of my TVs.

The only thing on my Samsung TV was that the Samsung TV keeps switching the Source type to "PC" - this fucks with HDR for some reason, I assume it's because it's trying to force 4:4:4 even though the incoming signal is 4K 10Bit HDR at 60Hz. Changing the Source type to anything else custom switches it back and it works just fine. This was the only time I saw blacks being absolutely destroyed and whites overblown as though there was a HDR signal but the HDR on the TV wasn't even on and the opposite, where the contrast was horrid and the brightest whites were appearing as grey.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia can't even bother to add dithering for 8 bit monitors resulting in banding if your monitor doesn't have good gamma control. I doubt they'll fix this issue for a while.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vega finally beating Pascal.
Does it really though? Maybe in this particular scenario with HDR, which could might as well be driver problem. But if we pick some of recently released PC games Nvidia still has a big lead, especially the 1080Ti. Nothing has changed.

Also keep in mind that Vega 64 for the most part of its life cost as much as 1080Ti !!!

1IADmxz.png

GFOiX7i.png

x38cXsd.png

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
That's really strange you should still be seeing deeper hues and bigger gradents in the spectrum from really bright to dark. I am a Deuteranope as well though that doesn't mean much as no one's cones are the same.

Maybe it was the content or the setup or something.

I dunno... I know others with Colour blindness who can see the difference with HDR. For me I just can't see it. My colour blindness is on the more extreme end, but apart from not allowing me to do certain jobs it's never really affected me much as you will know, you don't know any different.

I do wish some games / tech companies would actual get a handle on colour blindness tho. The "Filters" in the NVIDIA drivers are pretty useless much like Doom 2016 and the likes colour blind mode that applies some piss like filter for the whole screen which I know is different, instead doing things making important UI elements not clash is the way to go. Whole screen filters is NOT a colour blind mode, well not a good one anyway.

It's actually just better to allow us to just pick colours for UI elements etc rather than presets. No need for "Modes" just full UI customisations with regards colour is god tier for colour blindness.

But that is a whole other topic honestly.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

What TV do you have? Lots of TVs that claim to be HDR can accept the signal and display an image, but don't have anywher close to the needed brightness and contrast to display HDR properly. There's a huge difference between say, a Sony 850d and an LG OLED or Sony 900e

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What TV do you have? Lots of TVs that claim to be HDR can accept the signal and display an image, but don't have anywher close to the needed brightness and contrast to display HDR properly. There's a huge difference between say, a Sony 850d and an LG OLED or Sony 900e

I don't have one, I haven't bought one cos I cannot tell the difference. Looked at multiple displays in showrooms LCD, QLED, Quantum Dot, OLED, even spent a good few hours trying to tell the difference between SDR and HDR on my friends Sony A1 OLED which is 1000 nits.

It is absolutely not worth me investing in. I will get a HDR TV at some point because I believe it's likely ALL TVs will be HDR at some point. But I'm not going out of my way to buy one where I just cannot see a difference.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I don't have one, I haven't bought one cos I cannot tell the difference. Looked at multiple displays in showrooms LCD, QLED, Quantum Dot, OLED, even spent a good few hours trying to tell the difference between SDR and HDR on my friends Sony A1 OLED which is 1000 nits.

It is absolutely not worth me investing in. I will get a HDR TV at some point because I believe it's likely ALL TVs will be HDR at some point. But I'm not going out of my way to buy one where I just cannot see a difference.
Man that's a bummer. I've owned a few HDR TVs over the past couple years, and it still blows me away all the time.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
The marketing people at AMD have really dropped the ball by not making a fine wine club.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's weird. Wonder why. Haven't heard any devs on the console side say there's a performance hit.
Higher bit depth means the need for greater precision in calculation. We used to see games offer 16-bit rendering (instead of 24/32) for performance gains.

These days I imagine most of the people invested in HDR on PC probably have the performance overhead to spare, but it is interesting that AMD is doing it better. I imagine some of this on the driver side.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017