• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Billy323

Oct 27, 2017
The Gsync/Freesync driver is out now for Nvidia cards so let's build a list of Freesync monitors that play nice.

Officially supported so far-
  • Acer XFA240
  • Acer XG270HU
  • Acer XV273K
  • Acer XZ321Q
  • AOC AGON AG241QG4
  • AOC G2590FX
  • Asus MG278Q
  • Asus XG248 / XG258
  • Asus VG258Q
  • BenQ XL2740
Rtings are testing Freesync monitors in Nvidia GPUs
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/motion/g-sync-compatible

I have Viewsonic XG3240C (Freesync range 48-144)need more testing but initial results seem good. Some flickering below 60fps and looks slightly blurry compared to Freesync off.

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's on the certified list, but any user impressions for the G2590FX ? I'm looking to buy a monitor and it looks enticing at that price.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Where do you go to turn it on? I have a FreeSync monitor and I want to test this with my Nvidia card.

EDIT: Never mind, I have to turn on FreeSync on my monitor, and then the option shows up in the Nvidia Control Panel. I'll have to do that when I get home.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
So, does this work for any tv or monitor with freesync? Or just the ones certified by nvidia?

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
guess I'll try it when I get home. Someone mentioned turning freesync on and then changing the settings in the Nvidia CP? Are there any official steps?

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
GTX 1070 with LG 29UM67-P here (ultrawide, 2560x1080).

It works for me. But honestly, I can see the difference only with the gray bars (show test patterns) on the Nvidia pendulum demo.
Vsync on is fine, Vsynch off is a mess, G-sync is better (sometimes it flickers at the bottom)

Lnkn52

Oct 25, 2017
There was a reddit Google sheet with people testing their monitors, but its all messed up now.

May 17, 2018
ASUS mg28uq with a 1080ti. Messed around with it for an hour and couldn't get it to work (still had screen tearing ) . This was with AC odyssey at 4k. However I've read you need to have vsync on in NCP but off in the game setting and use a frame limiter for 2 fps less than your screen refresh rate (58 in my case) so I need to test more or wait for someone who understands it better than I do.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to see someone trying out an Nvidia card with a Samsung NU8000 TV that had Freesync patched in

EDIT: Nvm it seems it doesn't have Displayport :(

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
So as someone with a 1070 who was looking for a monitor should I not waste my money on this (https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...515&sr=1-3&keywords=gsync+monitor+144hz+1080p) then and instead just buy a compatible freesync monitor? Are there any advantages to having a g sync monitor now?
with Gsync monitors you have the function 100% supported, with freesync is a hit or miss at the moment, there can be some issues with freesync and also since is from the drivers, your experience can change with just any driver update, I suggest to wait for more reviews / comments on experience from other people if you are willing to wait for saving money on freesync monitors

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GTX 1070 with LG 29UM67-P here (ultrawide, 2560x1080).

It works for me. But honestly, I can see the difference only with the gray bars (show test patterns) on the Nvidia pendulum demo.
Vsync on is fine, Vsynch off is a mess, G-sync is better (sometimes it flickers at the bottom)

I might be off, but I'm almost positive that correctly working G-Sync (or freesync or a-sync) should never be coupled with V-sync being on, as V-sync overrides any benefit the tech has to offer. V-sync is there to prevent tearing, which working g-sync should already handle.

However, the rules might be different with unsupported G-sync support.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the driver update, don't have a freesync monitor but in the market.

BTW: Can you edit the officially supported list (here) into the OP, by the way?

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I might be off, but I'm almost positive that correctly working G-Sync (or freesync or a-sync) should never be coupled with V-sync being on, as V-sync overrides any benefit the tech has to offer. V-sync is there to prevent tearing, which working g-sync should already handle.

However, the rules might be different with unsupported G-sync support.

V-Sync should always be on, for both AMD and Nvidia. The input lag effect of Vsync doesn't apply when you're in the VRR range. Limit the FPS (Rivatuner allows a global FPS limiter) to below your montior's refresh rate to make sure you stay in the VRR range.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

DanCon

Oct 30, 2017
so ive got at AOC monitor with a refresh rate of 144HZ and freesync...would i notice any difference with this?

WhippyLizard

Nov 1, 2017
GTX 1080 FE (non ti), EVGA
U28E590D Samsung (4k, 40-60 freesync range)

Monitor is a mess with this turned on including ghost imaging, flashing, and pulsing. This monitor is a no go at this time.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
GTX 1080 FE (non ti), EVGA
U28E590D Samsung (4k, 40-60 freesync range)

Monitor is a mess with this turned on including ghost imaging, flashing, and pulsing. This monitor is a no go at this time.
I just now turned it on on my U28E570D, where do you have the most problems? The ufo freesync test seems to work

Edit: Ah yeah, I'm getting stuttering in games, too bad

Deleted member 14451

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got graphical glitches and hitches in Prey (2017). Haven't tested another game yet.
Running a 1080 with a Asus MG279Q.

dyslex666

Nov 1, 2017
Can confirm my LG U28E590 4K display works great.
Loaded Destiny 2 on it and the Traveler + lots of players usually makes my 2080 dip to mid-50s at 4K. Not a tear to be found. No flickering or color issues that I could detect either.

nvidia.png

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and bought the Asus VG278Q, good price and although there were 1440p monitors at the same price, I didn't like their aesthetic (this one had reviews that were slightly worse than the ASUS) and there just aren't enough testimonials out there for those not G-sync certified monitors working well. I was hoping this thread or another site would be a more comprehensive resource for compiling monitor compatibility, but so far haven't found anything like that.

There isn't much use posting how an officially certified monitor works in this thread, however, that said I am content with the results and image quality. So far, only complaints are that it has a large number of barely-documented settings (and takes too many button presses to adjust brightness on the fly), 27" at 1080p not being for everyone, and text sharpness (will need to find a good balance for ClearType/TrueType and the monitor's built-in settings).

P.S. You left the VG278Q off the official list in the OP, there are 12 certified monitors.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I haven't had great results on my Samsung LC27FG73(CFG73) tbh. I tested it in COD WW2 and the performance is disappointing tbh. I'm looking to pick up a new monitor as a result.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
BenQ EW3270U Seems nice.. and it has hdr? Hmmm.. On sale for $400 on amazon right now.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
The issues with the BenQ 2730 and its Zowie counterpart are already well documented. The monitor itself is perfectly compatible, however if you're unlucky enough to have a model from before 2017, the firmware makes the signal drop out to a black screen for VERY long stretches of time, and BenQ have already stated they have no intention of releasing a firmware flash for people to do themselves. You have to send it in to their service center.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not NVIDIA certified (LGUK650) But it works perfectly between 40 and 60 with basic.

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
BenQ EW3270U Seems nice.. and it has hdr? Hmmm.. On sale for $400 on amazon right now.
I have this monitor and i am quite happy with it, good blacks and accurate colours. But make sure to use the sRGB picture setting together with full RGB range on console/PC. The standart picture setting is way too vibrant.

FreeSync does work well with my gtx 1080 when staying in the 40 - 59fps range. I tested it with Dark Souls 3 and Hitman 2. :)