Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Full article at https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/05/25...b-of-apple-microsoft-alphabet-and-amazon.html
With its breathtaking surge Thursday, Nvidia could soon land a spot in the most elite Wall Street club, practically overnight.

The chipmaker saw its shares surge 25% on Thursday, bringing its market value to just under the $1 trillion mark at around $951 billion per FactSet. It was $755 billion at Wednesday's close.

Nvidia would become the fifth publicly traded U.S. company to be currently worth $1 trillion. Apple created the club in 2018. Microsoft, Alphabet and Amazon also now hold the distinction.

All eyes on are on Nvidia after it forecast $11 billion in sales for the second quarter of its fiscal 2024 late Wednesday, citing demand for its graphics processors that power artificial intelligence applications like the ones at Google, Microsoft and ChatGPT maker OpenAI. That forecast blew away Wall Street and turned the AI hype driving the stock into real results.

"Customers are 'racing' to meet large language models (LLMs) and generative AI based demand across all major modalities," Gill added. "We see nearly all past headwinds behind us, and expect the company is shipping to true, AI-related demand, near-term."

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they essentially have a monopoly on the newest tech trend so yeah. lets see if everyone else can make a big enough dent into their dominance in the next few years

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Wife urged me to invest 3 months ago. I'm like "the AI bandwagonners already invested and it's overvalued now". Shows what I know.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Surely their 4000 series sales haven't been crazy since crypto mining is diminished and the performance gains over last gen aren't super impressive.

Oct 29, 2017
Nvidia has been just about as clever/ lucky as you can be to be at the center of the two biggest FOMO gold rushes since 2020.

Last edited:

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
TENSOR CORES.

Video cards are never going to be reasonably priced again are they? AMD refuses to take their opportunity to gain market share by pricing their stuff to undercut Nvidia's outrageous prices at launch, and Nvidia is seemingly getting away with highway robbery lol.

Still, cool tech.

Oct 28, 2017
I saw someone call this AI rally back even when the stock was still dropping, and I thought they were probably right, yet I didn't do anything. I miss out on a lot of trades due to laziness of not wanting to move money around.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Jensen cookin'

UIBIfff.png

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Those 80GB A100's are like like $10K each and people are buying in bulk these days. They must be rolling in dough

Yeda Anna

Alt-Account
Banned
May 22, 2023
yup, its nuts. To put it into perspective. Just today alone NVDA added 2 intel in their market cap.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Genuine question since I don't know how this massive and complicated corporate structure works, but I would venture to guess that making the APUs for Nintendo Switch probably contributed greatly to this?

I know nVidia gets immediately thought of as the premium PC GPU maker, but the outcry over their latest generation's pricing gives me the impression that they'll start to stunt their growth in that segment and I know they've got their fingers in a ton of other computing pies -- with Nintendo Switch feeling like the biggest.

Unless I misunderstand and the Switch's customizations to the Tegra architecture were actually so radical that Nintendo basically spawned into fully controlled custom territory?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Genuine question since I don't know how this massive and complicated corporate structure works, but I would venture to guess that making the APUs for Nintendo Switch probably contributed greatly to this?
More crypto mining and AI learning imo

Those Switch APUs aren't very high margin/high dollar parts I would imagine, so I doubt they are huge revenue drivers for them.