• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018

NVIDIA Reflex delivers the lowest latency and best responsiveness in God of War. Powered by GeForce RTX™ 30 Series GPUs and NVIDIA® G-SYNC® monitors. NVIDIA Reflex delivers responsive gameplay allowing you to beat the boss with tighter dodges and combos, available in GeForce 900 Series GPUs and newer.
www.nvidia.com

NVIDIA GeForce CES 2022

Announcements include Reflex, Games and More

Raigor

May 14, 2020
going from by base PS4 to a potentially 1440p res with 120fps at Ultra setting is going to be soo good

Det

Jul 30, 2020
This is the best show-case of Reflex I've ever seen, side-stepping a giant troll in GoW.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't really seem like much. I mean is it the monitor in conjunction with a high frame rate, a given right and maybe good peripherals? I suppose it tells you stuff but am I missing anything or is it just a branding thing?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really seem like much. I mean is it the monitor in conjunction with a high frame rate, a given right and maybe good peripherals? I suppose it tells you stuff but am I missing anything or is it just a branding thing?
It's a neat concept in theory. Basically it caps overall GPU load (I think around 95%) so that the GPU can hit optimal throughput at all times to avoid latency spikes that can occur when it's maxed out. Granted, God of War isn't exactly a game that requires that much precision and responsiveness but it's a nice feature in general

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I've never noticed a difference in any of the games I turned this on in, I turn it on honestly for the hell of it due to it being "technically" better and as far as I know performance free on my 2000 series.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
I've never noticed a difference in any of the games I turned this on in, I turn it on honestly for the hell of it due to it being "technically" better and as far as I know performance free on my 2000 series.

Yeah I never noticed a difference with it or with low latency ultra either. Maybe i'm too slow to tell the difference, dunno

Oct 28, 2017
tell that to someone playing a Souls game or a competitive shooter.

The attacks have an animation which easily tells you when you need to react, faster input adjustments just takes the second or consecutive attempts at dodging them. The REFLEX tag for this kind of game doesn't mean much actually, because its not an online shooter where you need to react in split second without any warning.
(From someone who has played Dark Souls 3 at Character Level 1 without weapon upgrades).

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Reflex is invaluable in a game like Valorant. It's a nice to have for anything else.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
dated? still looks amazing to me
You can tell its old gen… the lighting isn't very good, a lot of the textures are blurry and the lod on things like the ground or things in the distance isn't very high. It still looks good, but it's obviously an old gen game to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Raigor

May 14, 2020
You can tell its old gen… the lighting isn't very good, a lot of the textures are blurry and the lod on things like the ground or things in the distance isn't very high. It still looks good, but it's obviously an old gen game to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can tell its old gen? well it's a ps4 game, of course it's old gen.

i don't understand this post

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The attacks have an animation which easily tells you when you need to react, faster input adjustments just takes the second or consecutive attempts at dodging them. The REFLEX tag for this kind of game doesn't mean much actually, because its not an online shooter where you need to react in split second without any warning.
(From someone who has played Dark Souls 3 at Character Level 1 without weapon upgrades).
Let's not miss the point.

There is clear and demonstrable value to being able to react quickly and not have input lag become consequential. Whether Souls-like (that is, a game that punishes misses on tight timings) or a fighting game or a competitive shooter, it has value.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tell that to someone playing a Souls game or a competitive shooter.

I don't mean invaluable, what the tech wizardry is beyond a monitors and high frame rates.

It's a neat concept in theory. Basically it caps overall GPU load (I think around 95%) so that the GPU can hit optimal throughput at all times to avoid latency spikes that can occur when it's maxed out. Granted, God of War isn't exactly a game that requires that much precious and responsiveness but it's a nice feature in general

Thanks, that explains it.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I think the point is just that graphics tech moves fast. What we all picture when we hear "dated" is different but I think it's interesting when you don't see a game that used to be top of the line for a while and then when you see it again you realize the bar has been raised faster than you thought

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I think COD Vanguard was the first and perhaps only game I've played using Reflex, and the low latency was absolutely noticable and really quite stunning.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

They're saying it's a game that was right up there with the best of its time not so long ago, but it already looks clear (as you agree right here) that it stems from last-gen. Trust me, it makes sense (i.e., art and rendering tech moves fast).

Oct 25, 2017
Thats the point, they're the same dude.
That comment was tongue in cheek.

But to make a real comment, showing off a guy dodging a really slow attack isn't super informative. I want actual info about the milliseconds shaved off of the input. It needs to be judged in the context of the overall input lag of whole system.

I'm sure it makes the game feel just a bit better, there's no reason not to use it. I just don't see it being all that helpful in a game designed on the PS4 with typical input lag scenarios in mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That comment was tongue in cheek.

But to make a real comment, showing off a guy dodging a really slow attack isn't super informative. I want actual info about the milliseconds shaved off of the input. It needs to be judged in the context of the overall input lag of whole system.

I'm sure it makes the game feel just a bit better, there's no reason not to use it. I just don't see it being all that helpful in a game designed on the PS4 with typical input lag scenarios in mind.
I imagine this won't be the only video demonstrating this. I imagine they have CSGo, Tekken, and similar in the pipeline.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those things that feels cool if you have a ton of disposable income or are a diehard competitive player.

God of War seems like an odd choice to showcase the tech though, wonder how that partnership came about.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Benchmarks show that Reflex is pretty good at reducing your latency if you are GPU-bound, but provides very little benefit if you aren't.

The problem is that the games where you need that tiny reduction in latency all tend to run great already as they target low-end systems (e.g. Valorant, CS:GO, R6), and so it only really shines in games where the reduction in latency isn't really needed at all (e.g. God of War).

It's not completely just marketing hype, but it's pretty close.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
This is one of those things that feels cool if you have a ton of disposable income or are a diehard competitive player.

God of War seems like an odd choice to showcase the tech though, wonder how that partnership came about.

Their CES presentation talked about wanting to expand it into new genres besides the like 10 fps games it's currently in and God of War is a big game coming soon to PC

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Benchmarks show that Reflex is pretty good at reducing your latency if you are GPU-bound, but provides very little benefit if you aren't.

The problem is that the games where you need that tiny reduction in latency all tend to run great already as they target low-end systems (e.g. Valorant, CS:GO, R6), and so it only really shines in games where the reduction in latency isn't really needed at all (e.g. God of War).

It's not completely just marketing hype, but it's pretty close.
Isn't it the other way around? You can already run games like Valorant and CS at 200fps+ easily, is Reflex going to reduce latency to a noticeable degree? Where as God of War will probably be very demanding if not for DLSS (or even with it) so any reduction in latency will help.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it the other way around? You can already run games like Valorant and CS at 200fps+ easily, is Reflex going to reduce latency to a noticeable degree? Where as God of War will probably be very demanding if not for DLSS (or even with it) so any reduction in latency will help.
You will get greater reduction in latency, but my point is that this isn't something that is necessary for a game like God of War which was designed to run at 30fps for a casual audience on the PS4.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like marketing bullshit to me.Not like you can't dodge every attack even on PS4 @30fps.All it takes is a bit of practice.No tech is gonna help someone who is not good at the game.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
For anyone that complains about the lighting, the game has a weird bug / behaviour where sometimes it looks off lighting wise. The fix for that is to reload the save file or transition into an area with differently baked lighting to force a reload of the lighting state.

Playing it now on the PS5 and noticed that sometimes it looks off until I reload.

Looks pretty damn good otherwise!