Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
PSA - GPUs are why we're here, but don't let your RAM kit hurt your performance.

While I have your attention 😎 your new GPUs will give you massive performance improvement, be sure not to skimp on the quality of your memory. Cheap memory or memory with poor performance can cost you as much as 15% max FPS potential and as much as 75% on your 99%ile lows, depending on the game. Particularly if you're on a Ryzen system.

Have a look at this graph:

J3W70qb.png

We can clearly see the impact a budget kit of memory can potentially have on your gaming experience. In this example, going from a basic DDR4-2666 memory to a just a stock 3200 CL 14 kit provides +8% uplift in max framerates and a +67% uplift in 99th %ile minimum frames, the later of which many would argue is the more important stat, as those are the drops you feel as microstutter.

Now let's have a look at one more example:

4zJgVa0.png

vKRiymM.png

Have a good look at that graph. This is performance uplift by just manually improving the timings on the same kit of memory. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider, that translates to a +22% uplift on 99th %ile minimum framerates and +10% max framerates. On BF5, we see a 35% uplift on the 99th %ile minimum framerates and +10% uplift on max framerates.

If you were to compare the tuned 3800 memory to the basic-bitch 2600 memory, you're seeing an eye-watering +218% uplift on the 99th %ile minimum framerates and a +19% uplift on max framerates. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone in this thread how much people would pay to get +20% frames alone (some here are are about to drop +$800 for ~20% gains in a 3090). All by making sure your memory kit is decent and taking a little time out to make sure it's tuned.

TLDR: If you are currently using a budget DDR-4 2666/3000 memory kit to get by, you may be cheating yourself out of a lot of gaming performance right now and certainly in the future with your next GPU by sticking with that memory. Impact can vary from game to game, but more often than not, budget ram can have a serious impact on your gaming experience, especially if you're looking to game at high frame rates. Look to upgrade when you can afford to. Now is a good time to get ready to do so as RAM prices continue to fall.

www.techspot.com

RAM and SSD prices will soon plummet due to oversupply and weak demand

"Despite the traditional peak season for electronics sales and the release of Apple's new iPhones in 3Q20, the quarterly decline in NAND flash ASP will likely...

AMD system users: get yourself the best 3600 ram kit you can afford, with the lowest timings you can afford. 3600, CL16 or better. The lower the timings, the more likely you can tune them even lower. And make sure to use your motherboard's QVL list to ensure the memory is going to be compatible. If it's not listed for your mobo by its manufacturer and or not listed on the memory manufacturer's websites, keep searching. This isn't a requirement, but it's the best guide as it ensures there is an XMP profile for your memory and ensures that *someone* has tested the ram kit you're considering and verified it works. If you're going for a new Zen 3 CPU, you might want to hold until we know what kind of Infinity Fabric timing changes mean for ram kit recommendations.

Intel system users: The fastest kit you can afford that is approved for your motherboard at the lowest timings = best performance. Simple.

So yea, if you're about to spend $700+ on a GPU, please make sure your system is well-rounded and is not being bottlenecked by your memory kit.

This has been your PSA for today. Back to the prelaunch party. And happy memory shopping for those of you who are about to upgrade. 🥳

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
PSA - GPUs are why we're here, but don't let your RAM kit hurt your performance.

While I have your attention 😎 your new GPUs will give you massive performance improvement, be sure not to skimp on the quality of your memory. Cheap memory or memory with poor performance can cost you as much as 15% max FPS potential and as much as 75% on your 99%ile lows, depending on the game. Particularly if you're on a Ryzen system.

J3W70qb.png

We can clearly see the impact a budget kit of memory can potentially have on your gaming experience. In this example, going from a basic DDR4-2666 memory to a just a stock 3200 CL 14 kit provides +8% uplift in max framerates and a +67% uplift in 99th %ile minimum frames, the later of which many would argue is the more important stat, as those are the drops you feel as microstutter.

4zJgVa0.png

vKRiymM.png

Have a good look at that graph. This is performance uplift by just manually improving the timings on the same kit of memory. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider, that translates to a +22% uplift on 99th %ile minimum framerates and +10% max framerates. On BF5, we see a 35% uplift on the 99th %ile minimum framerates and +10% uplift on max framerates.

If you were to compare the tuned 3800 memory to the basic-bitch 2600 memory, you're seeing an eye-watering +218% uplift on the 99th %tile minimum framerates and a +19% uplift on max framerates. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone in this thread how much people would pay to get +20% frames alone (some here are are about to drop +$800 for ~20% gains in a 3090). All by making sure your memory kit is decent.

TLDR: If you are currently using a budget DDR-4 2666/3000 memory kit to get by, you may be cheating yourself out of a lot of gaming performance right now and certainly in the future with your next GPU by sticking with that memory. Impact can vary from game to game, but more often than not, budget ram can have a serious impact on your gaming experience. Look to upgrade when you can afford to. Now is a good time to get ready to do so as RAM prices continue to fall.

www.techspot.com

"Despite the traditional peak season for electronics sales and the release of Apple's new iPhones in 3Q20, the quarterly decline in NAND flash ASP will likely...

AMD system users: get yourself the best 3600 ram kit you can afford, with the lowest timings you can afford. 3600, CL16 or better. The lower the timings, the more likely you can tune them even lower. And make sure to use your motherboard's QVL list to ensure the memory is going to be compatible. If it's not listed for your mobo by its manufacturer and or not listed on the memory manufacturer's websites, keep searching. This isn't a requirement, but it's the best guide as it ensures there is an XMP profile for your memory and ensures that *someone* has tested the ram kit you're considering and verified it works.

Intel system users: The fastest kit you can afford that is approved for your motherboard at the lowest timings = best performance. Simple.

So yea, if you're about to spend $700+ on a GPU, please make sure your system is well-rounded and is not being bottlenecked by your memory kit.

This has been your PSA for today. Back to the prelaunch party. And happy memory shopping for those of you who are about to upgrade. 🥳
That 3600 RAM looking like a better investment by the day.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

J3W70qb.png

4zJgVa0.png

vKRiymM.png

If you were to compare the tuned 3800 memory to the basic-bitch 2600 memory, you're seeing an eye-watering +218% uplift on the 99th %ile minimum framerates and a +19% uplift on max framerates. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone in this thread how much people would pay to get +20% frames alone (some here are are about to drop +$800 for ~20% gains in a 3090). All by making sure your memory kit is decent and taking a little time out to make sure it's tuned.

TLDR: If you are currently using a budget DDR-4 2666/3000 memory kit to get by, you may be cheating yourself out of a lot of gaming performance right now and certainly in the future with your next GPU by sticking with that memory. Impact can vary from game to game, but more often than not, budget ram can have a serious impact on your gaming experience. Look to upgrade when you can afford to. Now is a good time to get ready to do so as RAM prices continue to fall.

www.techspot.com

AMD system users: get yourself the best 3600 ram kit you can afford, with the lowest timings you can afford. 3600, CL16 or better. The lower the timings, the more likely you can tune them even lower. And make sure to use your motherboard's QVL list to ensure the memory is going to be compatible. If it's not listed for your mobo by its manufacturer and or not listed on the memory manufacturer's websites, keep searching. This isn't a requirement, but it's the best guide as it ensures there is an XMP profile for your memory and ensures that *someone* has tested the ram kit you're considering and verified it works. If you're going for a new Zen 3 CPU, you might want to hold until we know what kind of Infinity Fabric timing changes mean for ram kit recommendations.

Good thing I was able to overclock my Crucial Ballistix memory last night. Went from 3000 MHz CL15 to 3600 MHz CL16 last night, and managed to get it stable.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
2080 Super vs 3080 comparison

casual 80%-100% performance uplift. the improvement in minimums/lows is...lawd.

nothing to see here!

edit: bruh, the Super dropped as low as 35fps. The 3080 never dropped below 90fps that I noticed. Lawd.

Good thing I was able to overclock my Crucial Ballistix memory last night. Went from 3000 MHz CL15 to 3600 MHz CL16 last night, and managed to get it stable.
my man. grats on the OC.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Running Ryzen or Intel?

For Ryzen I recommend Arctic's Liquid Freezer II 280 or 360
For Intel I recommend NZXT's X73 / Z73 or X63 / Z63 as well as Corsair's H150i or H100i.

Intel. funny enough i just installed a H100i in my sons rig on Monday. He chose it cause it fit his color scheme.
H150i Pro looks right up my alley. Thank you.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
iiwpo9r7lxk51.jpg

OMG this is ridiculous haha. At that point, just add 1 more slot to install CPU & RAM and you have a PC that is just a GPU.

With the 3090, you mount the GPU on the motherboard or do you mount the motherboard on the GPU?

honestly, I'd be ok with that. MB manufacturers build GPUs so just go all out and build an ITX MB into the GPU. Work with a case manufacturer to build a custom case for it, and give it a simple PSU - I'd take an external brick with a single connector to the GPUPC

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Running Ryzen or Intel?

For Intel I recommend NZXT's X73 / Z73 or X63 / Z63 as well as Corsair's H150i or H100i.

Why the difference between AIO due to Intel or AMD? I'm using an X63 with my Ryzen that seems fine. I had the X52 previously (and moved it to my ITX build) and thought it was good. Really, the one thing I don't like about the x63 vs the x52 is that the x5-series had the radiatior fans connected to the pump housing so the entire setup was controlled by the NZXT software, but the newer versions require the rad fans to be connected elsewhere (either a separate controller or mobo fan headers), which is annoying merely because now I've got to manage fan curves in two different places/software.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Running Ryzen or Intel?

Warning: be sure to check the specs and ensure that the Arctic's rad isn't too fat for your case. I wanted to put my new Liquid Freezer II at the top of my case, but it's definitely too thick. I'm going to have to front mount it. Not a problem, but I wanted to reserve the front for a 360 rad for the GPU.

Ultimately, I may end up selling it and going with a full open loop with a thin 280mm at the top and a 360 in the front. Only way to really maximize my cooling potential.

Why the difference between AIO due to Intel or AMD? I'm using an X63 with my Ryzen that seems fine. I had the X52 previously (and moved it to my ITX build) and thought it was good. Really, the one thing I don't like about the x63 vs the x52 is that the x5-series had the radiatior fans connected to the pump housing so the entire setup was controlled by the NZXT software, but the newer versions require the rad fans to be connected elsewhere (either a separate controller or mobo fan headers), which is annoying merely because now I've got to manage fan curves in two different places/software.
Ryzen is more sensitive to temps.

The Liquid Freezer is objectively the better cooler, but isn't as sexy. The Intel systems aren't as sensitive and can get away some tradeoff performance for better looks. Liquid Freezer = demonstrably higher clocks.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the first game you guys are going to test on your new GPU's? I'm holding off on playing Horizons atm. :)

I have Crysis, Crysis 3@4k, Witcher 2 (Ubsersampling, Gadosato 8k), Witcher 3@4k, and a demoscene release called Hartverdrahtet (8xSS version). First game I will play all the way through is the Mafia Remake.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the first game you guys are going to test on your new GPU's? I'm holding off on playing Horizons atm. :)
Control DLC
Metro: Exodus
Minecraft RTX
Doom Eternal
Watch Dogs: Legion
Cyberpunk 2077

Probably in that order.
Got a busy couple of months once this releases 😃

Oct 27, 2017
The difference in IHS size / design as well as CCX layout. The Arctic cold plate does a better job covering Ryzen than Intel. And asetek based pumps are designed for Intel IHS.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
For Corsair PSUs:

Corsair

Nvidia-12-pin-psu-cable-2.2-1024x774.jpg

When/Where can I get it?
Soon! We're hard at work making these cables right now, and our goal is to have them available as soon as you can buy your new RTX 30-series card. If you have a modular CORSAIR PSU and want a notification of when the cable is available, click HERE to sign up and we'll send you an email as soon as they're ready.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017

J3W70qb.png

4zJgVa0.png

vKRiymM.png

TLDR: If you are currently using a budget DDR-4 2666/3000 memory kit to get by, you may be cheating yourself out of a lot of gaming performance right now and certainly in the future with your next GPU by sticking with that memory. Impact can vary from game to game, but more often than not, budget ram can have a serious impact on your gaming experience, especially if you're looking to game at high frame rates. Look to upgrade when you can afford to. Now is a good time to get ready to do so as RAM prices continue to fall.

www.techspot.com

What is the source of this?
I'd like to know what are the improvements of faster memory at higher resolutions, 1080p is a bit low for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Elite: Dangerous in VR. Max settings, 2X HMD image quality and 2X Super Sampling.

I'd like to know what are the improvements of faster memory at higher resolutions, 1080p is a bit low for me.
Those slides can be found here:

To answer your question, maximum framerate improvements at high resolutions are currently bottlenecked by current GPUs. 2080s and 2080Tis struggle at 4K above 90fps or so, regardless of your CPU -or- Memory. As such, charts above 1080p/720p on 2080S/Ti's or lower are unhelpful for demonstrating the performance potential being lost. The only way to test is to eliminate potential bottlenecks, hence the 1080p/720p testing.

The examples in that post should provide you perspective for games/resolutions that are not (or are less) GPU-bound with a 3080/3090.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Red Dead Redemption 2 is getting launched first, then I'm going to play these games too:
Grand Theft Auto V, Control, The Witcher 3, Final Fantasy XV, Death Stranding, Overwatch, Fortnite, Watch Dogs 2, Resident Evil 2, Forza Horizon 4, Doom Eternal, The Division 2, Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed Origins and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, lol I can't wait!

Oct 27, 2017
The charts are from a linus tech tips video but this is well known for Ryzen. Ryzen loves fast memory. Intel it doesn't matter as much. My 3950x is set to 1900 fclk and samsung b-die memory set to 3800 cl16. Seems stable so far.

Edit: you want to maintain fclk:memclk ratio of 1:1 for optimal performance. Ryzen 3000 can run up to 1900 / 3800 but not every memory controller can so it's best to shoot for 1800/3600. Ryzen 2000 can run up to 3200. Can't remember Ryzen 1000 series.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
3080 and 3090 buyers, what monitor are you using or will be purchasing?
I already have the monitor I need: a refurbished Predator X27 I bought direct from Acer.

$1200 after tax for one of the absolute best monitors money can buy. Mind, I'm going for the 3080 so I'll have ended up spending more on the monitor than the GPU, but I am very satisfied with my purchase even though I can only current drive it with my old 1080 Ti. When your monitor does literally everything the experience is just unmatched. Only downsides are that it's not ultrawide and not curved, both of which are really minor in light of the sheer amazingness of 4k HDR 120 FPS with G-sync.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I had my heart set on the 3090 to upgrade from my 2080 ti but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the 3080 instead. Looking at the specs I don't know how I'd feel paying 2x the price for only 20% more performance. I play at 1440p 144hz currently but could use the extra cash to upgrade to 4k 144hz. Anybody else in the same boat and what are you going to do?

I've been oscillating between the two myself. I still use a 1080p60 monitor and don't intend to upgrade until 4K + decent HDR with FALD + HRR stops costing, well, more than the 3090 itself, so as of this moment, I'm leaning towards opting for the 3080 and putting the money saved towards upgrading to Ryzen 4000.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
what is the reason behind going with a 12 pin connector? what's so bad about just putting 2x8 in? the adapter just seems like a hassle.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Doom Eternal performs better at 4K on a 1080 Ti than a 2080 due to the RAM difference (at lower rez, it's flipped).
Buying an 8GB next gen card is a bad idea

Is this really true?

I agree that without directstorage and fast SSDs, 10Gb is not enough, but is it enough with those 2 techs? The jump from "guaranteed 3MBps for small files and 100MBps for large files" to "guaranteed 30MBps for small files and 4000MBps for large files is an extremely mighty jump!

We have not seen the likes of such a jump of such magnitude in how long?

Since the transition of floppy to CD? The transition from 2D renderers to Glide 3DFX?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Rumors swirling in from trusted sources saying that top-end Navi 2 should be able to compete with 3080 on rasterization at least, and with more VRAM... hmm, if stock is going to be an issue, it might not be a bad idea to wait to see what AMD has to show.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018

i'm buying a 3080 for Cyberpunk and Flight Simulator.

so yeah the first game i'm gonna load up is Flight Sim. got it capped at 30fps right now and it dips to 20fps sometimes.... on medium/high settings. i think the game looks fine as it is but it'd be nice to be able to hit 60fps but i doubt it.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What'll the setup process be like with the new pin connectors if I end up grabbing a 3080 FE on my PSU? Had help building my first PC so still fairly new to all this haha.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Rumors swirling in from trusted sources saying that top-end Navi 2 should be able to compete with 3080 on rasterization at least, and with more VRAM... hmm, if stock is going to be an issue, it might not be a bad idea to wait to see what AMD has to show.
are these cards gonna have raytracing ?

i think i'd rather wait to get hold of a 3080 (for DLSS and better RTX?). vram isn't gonna be an issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wish they would just show it, then.

Why let Nvidia have all this attention? It would be trivial to pull some of that Nvidia buyer audience away if they had something equally competitive, with more RAM and an answer to some of these software features Nvidia has been touting.

Once people drop their money, it's too late for AMD. If they have it, now's the time to impress us. Not after we've all bought 3080s and 3090s.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
What'll the setup process be like with the new pin connectors if I end up grabbing a 3080 FE on my PSU? Had help building my first PC so still fairly new to all this haha.
it's a modular PSU so plug in 2x8pin VGA cables then plug them into the 12pin adapter. put that in your GPU. easy.

btw recommended PSU is 750W for both 3080/3090. evga make top quality PSU but depends what the rest of your system is.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
are these cards gonna have raytracing ?

i think i'd rather wait to get hold of a 3080 (for DLSS and better RTX?). vram isn't gonna be an issue.

Yeah, they'll have RT - we don't know how well compared to nVidia, though. Likely at least a bit worse.

I wish they would just show it, then.

Why let Nvidia have all this attention? It would be trivial to pull some of that Nvidia buyer audience away if they had something equally competitive, with more RAM and an answer to some of these software features Nvidia has been touting.

Once people drop their money, it's too late for AMD. If they have it, now's the time to impress us. Not after we've all bought 3080s and 3090s.

Agreed. AMD needs to say *something* before 3080 launch - they have to.