• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I think its semi-modular and the 2nd PCI-e is built in. I've had one like that but only atx cables built in.

Yes, semi modular, the CPU pins and 24 pin are not modular. Both PCI ports can be used for PCIe cables, supporting two separate cables with two 6+2pins each.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
NO of course you do not ABSOLUTELY NEED 2 SEPERATE CABLES.
Because they need to provide recommendations that apply to ALL power supplies. And some power supplies are shitty. Therefore, to avoid problems with shitty power supplies, you go with the safer recommendation.
It's typically only lower-end power supplies that come with splitters instead of using separate cables/power rails to begin with.
If you're using a splitter, you'd better hope that it's a single rail power supply, and is supplied with low gauge cables.
Many PSU manuals specifically recommend against using splitters unless you're using a GPU with 3 PCIe power connectors:
4veuohl1sfxjbfjt1017nvtje8.jpg

I feel like I'm on crazy pills here.

1. FOLLOW PSU MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
2. Nvidia is not a PSU Manufacturer, they are providing safety guidelines to apply to worst case, hence 750w recommendation and 1 cable per 8 pin.
3. Use common sense. If you are overclocking, you are going to be pulling more than 150w per 8-pin on a 2x 8-pin card. Don't fucking daisy chain.
4. If you own a good single rail power supply that has good cables, aren't overclocking, and the manufacturer hasn't said DON'T DO IT, feel free to daisy chain if you absolutely cannot get individual cables.
5. If you are using a 3x 8-pin card, you are already splitting the load over multiple connectors. If you OC, dont go over 500w if you are daisy chaining.

Edit: Before you click the post reply button asking if your 1000w PSU is gonna be enough for your 3070 and 8700k and 10 RGB fans, watch this.

These are mostly good recommendations though.
The main thing I take issue with is that there were several considerations overlooked by Gamers Nexus' recent PSU video.

Even if your hardware would never draw more than 400W; that doesn't mean you should buy a 400W PSU for it.
A power supply's peak efficiency is typically around 50-60% load, so I would try to choose one where the system's power consumption under load is in that range.
And higher wattage power supplies can run in fanless/low-RPM mode for that kind of power draw, while a lower wattage PSU may be loud - whether that's fan noise or coil whine.

It's not just a case of "your PC will never draw 1000W haha, you idiots" like GN implied.
Unfortunately that's often the case when they do videos like that one. They either miss the point, or misrepresent the argument to make themselves look smart.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I think this Der8auer video from last year is pretty informative on cables as well. He basically takes a 2080ti Strix and starts cutting wires to see exactly how few 8pin cables - and then how many cables from within the 8pin - you can get away with. You still need a quality PSU and cables rated to take the heat, but basically what 2-3 cables on a capable PSU is doing is spreading the load and spreading the heat, so you don't have a bitcoin miner problem where the plugs themselves simply melt.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's typically only lower-end power supplies that come with splitters instead of using separate cables/power rails to begin with.
If you're using a splitter, you'd better hope that it's a single rail power supply, and is supplied with low gauge cables.
Many PSU manuals specifically recommend against using splitters unless you're using a GPU with 3 PCIe power connectors:

The main thing I take issue with is that there were several considerations overlooked by Gamers Nexus' recent PSU video.

Even if your hardware would never draw more than 400W; that doesn't mean you should buy a 400W PSU for it.
A power supply's peak efficiency is typically around 50-60% load, so I would try to choose one where the system's power consumption under load is in that range.
And higher wattage power supplies can run in fanless/low-RPM mode for that kind of power draw, while a lower wattage PSU may be loud - whether that's fan noise or coil whine.

It's not just a case of "your PC will never draw 1000W haha, you idiots" like GN implied.
Unfortunately that's often the case when they do videos like that one. They either miss the point, or misrepresent the argument to make themselves look smart.

I thought there had been some pushback on the idea that PSUs are most efficient at 50% load, is that not the case?

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
I always forget threadmarks even exist so apologies on missing that. Thanks for the help on the matter though!

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Ryzen 7 3700x, 32gb ddr4 3200, 4 ssds 1tb each and I'm going on a Rtx 3080 with Corsair cx650 if the psu explodes I will get a 750 one but I will try first with my cx650.
I don't plan to oc besides the oc Nvidia already does

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
lmfao welp I've been running a 2080S in my machine with both 8 bin PSU extension cables coming out of a single 8 PIN that splits out to an 8 PIN and a 6+2Pin....whoops

Guess that means I'm gonna have to pop my back panel off and deal with the mess back there to run another 8PIN....
Yeah I noticed that today, but was more concerned about the fact that none of my case fans were spinning to worry about the power supply. Now I'm debating if I want to do it now or just wait until I get the card. Assuming I can find the other 8-pin cable that came with the PSU, of course, I have no idea which box they're in...

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Has there been a price jump on psus? My unit which I bought in 2018 for $50 costs more than double that on newegg and everything listed by pcpartspicker.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Same setup as you and completely agree. Love 120 fps and have been playing at 1440p to make it happen while also sitting much farther from the C9.

With Hdmi 2.1, I just can't wait to run games at 4k 90-120 fps with Gsync.

I've been waiting soooooo long for this to be possible!

Same. I am really bouncing between the 3080 and 3090. Price wise there is a massive gap, but the 3090 would get me closer to 4k/120fps than what the 3080 would, but right now we don't know by how much. I really hope that we get some reviews that tests 4k/120fps and how both cards run and what frame rate they can hit.

But yeah. 1440p/120fps is pretty amazing. As i mentioned in some games, the 1440p looks great, but in others 4k looks just so much cleaner....so that is what is pushing me towards one of the 2 cards.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there had been some pushback on the idea that PSUs are most efficient at 50% load, is that not the case?
I haven't seen anything about that, and it doesn't match what is being published by the manufacturers.
On a modern PSU it may only be a few percent difference in efficiency though, which might be 15W under load - and that could leave the system at its least-efficient when idle. But it's already drawing far less when idle, so lower efficiency there is going to make a smaller difference.
For me, it's more about how loud the system gets. Power supplies are better now, but the PSU fan could often have been the most obnoxious one in the system in the past.

rm650i-gkjsz.png
rm1000i-j6kui.png

In the above example, a 650W PSU would be 20dB at ~600W, while the 1000W PSU would only be running at 12dB (which is significantly quieter).
At 400W the 650W PSU would be 12dB while the 1000W PSU would be running fanless.

Sep 21, 2019
Same. I am really bouncing between the 3080 and 3090. Price wise there is a massive gap, but the 3090 would get me closer to 4k/120fps than what the 3080 would, but right now we don't know by how much. I really hope that we get some reviews that tests 4k/120fps and how both cards run and what frame rate they can hit.

But yeah. 1440p/120fps is pretty amazing. As i mentioned in some games, the 1440p looks great, but in others 4k looks just so much cleaner....so that is what is pushing me towards one of the 2 cards.

I'm going to spring for the 3090 for sure. Even the rumored 20% performance jump over thr 3080 would be worth it to me.

I'm going to still get a 3080, though, just in case I can't get a 3090 the following week.

So excited.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to spring for the 3090 for sure. Even the rumored 20% performance jump over thr 3080 would be worth it to me.

I'm going to still get a 3080, though, just in case I can't get a 3090 the following week.

So excited.
So it is about 20%? Hmmm that is enough for me to lean to the 3090 and I wont have worry about Vram with it's 24g. I am going to put it under water and will wait for the Evga FTW Hydro 3090 and oc it to it's max. :)

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

I agree with most of this. Not really a believer of the buy 50% more than your avg load. I would need a 1200w power supply for 10900k and 3080, which is crazy talk. I don't really care if my psu is drawing extra energy from the wall from the inefficency of not running in the sweet spot.

But really, I think the key takeaway is that people aren't asking for recommendations of what psu to buy. People are asking if they need to upgrade their current psu. And frankly I can not in good conscience tell people they need to toss out their 650w evga g2 superflower, or whatever, (I'm being dramatic for effect.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I agree with most of this. Not really a believer of the buy 50% more than your avg load. I would need a 1200w power supply for 10900k and 3080, which is crazy talk. I don't really care if my psu is drawing extra energy from the wall from the inefficency of running in the sweet spot.

But really, I think the key takeaway is that people aren't asking for recommendations of what psu to buy. People are asking if they need to upgrade their current psu. And frankly I can not in good conscience tell people they need to toss out their 650w evga g2 superflower, or whatever, I'm being dramatic for effect.
this is the correct answer.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Yes. I mentioned it a page or so back but it was completely ignored.
What's even funnier about this is that I said it even earlier than that ;)
www.resetera.com

Nvidia RTX 3070 ($499), 3080 ($699), 3090 ($1,499) Announced (Please See Threadmarks) News

3080 +46% vs 2080 ti in geekbench https://3dcenter.org/news/erster-geekbench-wert-zur-geforce-rtx-3080-aufgetaucht

But we also spam this thread talking about psu instead of the cards so honestly it's a good thing to get these things posted per page.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I just looked at my PSU and was relieved I had two 8-pin PCIE connectors and was feeling good until I saw those warnings. Now I gotta find where I put those damn modular cables.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Last edited:

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the question as it is difficult to keep up with the thread - has anyone posted any benchmarks with these cards with a variety of normalish CPUs? (3600X, etc)?

Trying to get a feel for if my system has a chance of 4k@60 stable or 1440p@144 stable to make sure it is worth it to me to spend $750 or whatever on the 3080 as those numbers are my ultimate goal for this generation (yes, lumping in the consoles).

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
Sorry for the question as it is difficult to keep up with the thread - has anyone posted any benchmarks with these cards with a variety of normalish CPUs? (3600X, etc)?

Trying to get a feel for if my system has a chance of 4k@60 stable or 1440p@144 stable to make sure it is worth it to me to spend $750 or whatever on the 3080 as those numbers are my ultimate goal for this generation (yes, lumping in the consoles).

There haven't been reviews for the cards yet. Until such time, I recommend taking any benchmarks with massive grains of salt.

We should get some come the 14th.

EDIT: That being said, I wouldn't worry about being CPU bottlenecked @ 60FPS for most titles unless you're playing a badly optimized game or something that runs a VM on your machine (looking at you, Assassin's Creed!)

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
There haven't been reviews for the cards yet. Until such time, I recommend taking any benchmarks with massive grains of salt.

We should get some come the 14th.

EDIT: That being said, I wouldn't worry about being CPU bottlenecked @ 60FPS for most titles unless you're playing a badly optimized game or something that runs a VM on your machine (looking at you, Assassin's Creed!)
I have a 3600X, a good SSD, 32GB of pretty good RAM, and a 2070....at this point I am just trying to convince myself that anything the XSeriesX can offer, that the hardware I have plus a 3080 will match and exceed that...tough to mentally get myself away from owning an XBox when I have had one as a primary machine since the first dropped all those years ago.

Would be paired with a PS5.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone have experience with GPU launches like this? Seems like supply will be pretty limited and pre orders are an unknown. How hard have you guys found it to snag highly anticipated GPU like these from online stores/in store. How slim are my chances of snagging a 3070?

I'm a little worried it'll be a situation where these things are sold out within seconds of going up for purchase/preorder. I just sold my 2070 for 350 (which is great all things considered) but I'm definitely not wanting to be stuck without a GPU cuz these things are sold out for the year.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have experience with GPU launches like this? Seems like supply will be pretty limited and pre orders are an unknown. How hard have you guys found it to snag highly anticipated GPU like this from online stores/in store. How slim are my chances of snagging a 3070.

I'm a little worried it'll be a situation where these things are sold out within seconds of going up for purchase/preorder. I just sold my 2070 for 350 (which is great all things considered) but I'm definitely not wanting to be stuck without a GPU cuz these things are sold out for the year.

from everything I've read these sell out like in the first 30 mins or so, I'd say if you're up and ready at exactly 6 am pst on the 17th and refreshing Nvidia and best buy you'll probably be fine. That's my plan currently.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
from everything I've read these sell out like in the first 30 mins or so, I'd say if you're up and ready at exactly 6 am pst on the 17th and refreshing Nvidia and best buy you'll probably be fine. That's my plan currently.
Thanks for the input. That I can definitely work with. Guess I'm setting my alarm for 5:30 AM the morning of the 3070. I still hope to grab a preorder if they allow that.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Does anyone have experience with GPU launches like this? Seems like supply will be pretty limited and pre orders are an unknown. How hard have you guys found it to snag highly anticipated GPU like this from online stores/in store. How slim are my chances of snagging a 3070.

Every launch is different, but stock generally stabilizes within a few weeks to a month of release. But it's 2020- the year of batshit craziness, so who knows?

One idea you might consider is snagging a cheapy 1650 or RX 570 and keeping it as a backup card. It at least lets you keep your PC up & running, and it will give you some peace of mind if you want to sell early next go around so you can maximize your resale value.