Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean one on the right?

NVIDIA-PCIE-ADAPTER.png

Those aren't mandatory for cable to work. They just let PSU and GPU "pair" and properly coordinate what kind power draw is possible from the GPU. You can use connector without those extra pins.

Yep, thanks.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
quoting again just to remind you all that open loops are really cool!

While I assume I could make this fit in my case, I'll never know how difficult it might be because I'll be immediately stripping the cooler off for a waterblock before any 4090 gets near my case. In the end, I'd expect it to look like what my current block looks like:

IMG-2306.jpg

DSC0643.jpg

That's a very nice looking build, I've always been curious about custom loops but I never went through with it because I don't really like the building computers part itself anymore, and it probably requires some level of maintenance, plus I'd be paranoid about leaks.

(and no, the lights are pretty much never on lol)

Based.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much heat they will kick out, like if you keep it in a small bedroom

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
m5xrsku7p0s91.png

I've been laughing at this picture for the past 5 minutes

what timeline is this?

Fuck me, that's huge! They really aren't playing around with these graphics bricks now huh?

On the high-end it really makes me want to go back to water cooling my entire system. On the plus side, I'm hoping that the noise levels are going to be pretty low if they're building cooling systems as extravagant as this for the high-end models.

youtu.be

RTX 4090 - Bullshit Marketing vs. Founders Edition

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/der8auer---------------------------------------------------------Save 10% on your iFixit purchase: DER8AUER10h...

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What fucking case can fit this goddamn thing?

The dimensions are:
L=358.5 W=162.8 H=75.1 mm
www.gigabyte.com

AORUS GeForce RTX™ 4090 MASTER 24G Specification | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

Discover AORUS premium graphics cards, ft. WINDFORCE cooling, RGB lighting, PCB protection, and VR friendly features for the best gaming and VR experience!

This thing is about as long as my current compact ATX case, a Raijintek Thetis which has a length of 360mm, and is equipped with a Ryzen 9 3900X cooled by a Kraken X53 AIO, an MSI Ventus RTX 3080, and 4 SSDs. 🤣

Full ATX towers could possibly accommodate this without too much trouble, regardless I would love to see these cards hooked up to a water cooler instead. Should make for a cleaner build.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Quick lookup has it as 358.5 mm long, so nothing that drastic all things considered. For e.g. Fractal Design's Torrent can easily take that GPU.
It's not just length, it's width.
That chonker is 6.375in wide.

Even if it technically "fits" in some cases, there won't be any room for air flow, since it exhausts out the sides.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's not just length, it's width.
That chonker is 6.375in wide.

Even if it technically "fits" in some cases, there won't be any room for air flow, since it exhausts out the sides.

That is true, dimension I neglected so my bad. It can also cause issue with powerplug being on that side now, and not in the back. Especially when with these new 12-pin connectors you aren't supposed to make any extreme bends at the connector. Smaller cases can see themselves running into width issues too with chonkier AIBs.

One we are talking about is 162.8 mm wide and case I mentioned, Torrent, can take 188 mm CPU cooler, so there is roughly ~25 mm (0.98 inches) free space left with that GPU installed. Between GPU and side panel that is. That is bit yikes as Torrent isn't small case.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm a bit on a fence now, my pc gaming time has been over for > 10 years and my last purchased graphics card was a GeForce 4 Ti 4200. My son has birthday soon and really wished to upgrade his card, at the moment we're looking at a MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3X OC (btw those name just became worse... so confusing and long... good old times, want vodoo back haha)

So now... I'm not sure if I should actually get that card (around 1k EUR at the moment) or add a bit more and purchase a 4080. I really feel it's impossible to compare... there are so many different versions etc. I don't remember it being this hard back then, completely overwhelmed. Is the difference that huge from the 3080 card above to the 4080? And from what I heard, buying a 4090 would be waste of money?

EDIT: And sorry for being a bit "offtopic", but i thought it was probably the most fitting thread as I don' think creating one for this would be justified

Last edited:

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit on a fence now, my pc gaming time has been over for > 10 years and my last purchased graphics card was a GeForce 4 Ti 4200. My son has birthday soon and really wished to upgrade his card, at the moment we're looking at a MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3X OC (btw those name just became worse... so confusing and long... good old times, want vodoo back haha)

So now... I'm not sure if I should actually get that card (around 1k EUR at the moment) or add a bit more and purchase a 4080. I really feel it's impossible to compare... there are so many different versions etc. I don't remember it being this hard back then, completely overwhelmed. Is the difference that huge from the 3080 card above to the 4080? And from what I heard, buying a 4090 would be waste of money?

EDIT: And sorry for being a bit "offtopic", but i thought it was probably the most fitting thread as I don' think creating one for this would be justified
3080ti will perform fine for years as it is. Doubt a third party card will actually sell at MSRP.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
The size of the AIB cards are really off-putting. It looks like FE or bust for me. I'm not moving my AIO or removing my basement fans (Lian Li Lancool 2). I have a GIGABYTE VISION 3080, according to the released 4090 dimensions I'll need to account for and extra 2-2.5" for l/W/H.. Anything over 150MM W is out of the question. I could get a Lancool 3, but didn't plan on rebuilding until mid 2023/2024.

Nov 8, 2017
The size of the AIB cards are really off-putting. It looks like FE or bust for me. I'm not moving my AIO or removing my basement fans (Lian Li Lancool 2). I have a GIGABYTE VISION 3080, according to the released 4090 dimensions I'll need to account for and extra 2-2.5" for l/W/H.. Anything over 150MM W is out of the question. I could get a Lancool 3, but didn't plan on rebuilding until mid 2023/2024.

I'd love an FE, but in Australia they've only ever shipped a miniscule amount in recent years. The 3000 series only got a tiny run sent to a single outlet, weeks after the other models launched, and you had to do a lottery to even be allowed to buy it. They've given no indication of what the 4000 series rollout will be like, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That is bit yikes as Torrent isn't small case.

Was planning on getting a compact next year, but apparently the maximum GPU length it can support is 330mm. Really want a decent airflow case that isn't a full sized tower. I'm done using full towers for my primary gaming PC since I have to move them around quite a bit. Looks like the Founders is the only one that would reliably fit, and I don't want that design.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Seeing all these pics of the ridiculously big 4090's... What are the next ones going to look like if this trend of bigger/hotter/more power hungry keeps going? Are GPU's going to end up in an external enclosure with their own power brick? The Aorus one looks like it will rip the PCI slot right out of the motherboard, it's silly.

I had a HAF-X back in 2010, I'm never going back to those monstrously big cases.

Yeah, it feels like they'll have to do a 2nm 50-series at some point and just kind of stop until graphene chips become a thing.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Just seen that the MSI Gaming X Trio is a lot "smaller" on the Y dimension than the Asus and Aorus card.

It's actually quite close in size with my 3080 Gaming X Trio, with the same Y dimension:

3080 10G: 323 x 140 x 56mm
4090: 337 x 140 x 77 mm

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
these form factors are a disgrace
I kinda agree. It's dumb.

Increase size, increase power draw, increased performance… absurd.

Obviously if you make a GPU the size and price of a home appliance of corse it's going to have the best performance. But logistically it's stupid to be heading in this direction for PCs imo.

it's just dumb