• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
NVIDIA will reportedly use Samsung 7nm process for next-gen GPUs in 2020

64340_404_nvidias-next-gen-ampere-gpus-arrive-2020-7nm.jpg

NVIDIA will reportedly be using Samsung's new 7nm extreme ultraviolet lithography (EUV) process that uses a plasma laser to drive silicon material into 7nm transistor structures. The new GeForce RTX and Quadro RTX graphics cards are both made on the 12nm process thanks to TSMC, with NVIDIA no stranger to working with Samsung for GPU production. AMD will have the world's first GPU on 7nm beating NVIDIA to the punch, with its upcoming Navi GPU launching in July 2019 according to our sources. NVIDIA's new GPU architecture on 7nm should end up being Ampere, which will succeed the current Turing GPU architecture inside of the new RTX-powered cards.

Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64340/nvidias-next-gen-ampere-gpus-arrive-2020-7nm/index.html

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So Nvidia will also soon launch 7nm cards. Interesting. Is this the first time we are hearing navi is releasing in july? Would make sense as leaks mentioned Q3 launch.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to finally retire my 970. If AMD screws up (again) this year I'll probably have to wait until 2020.

And end up buying an older gen for cheaper.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I just can't get excited for an NVIDIA product anymore since financially it's possibly enough to cost months of rent just afford a higher model GPU. It's a main reason I just have zero interest in doing hardcore PC gaming anymore like I used to. It's the Apple of GPU's.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
lines up with the often speculated next gen consoles launch. so nothing new from nvidia for 2019 besides 2060? really would like to see what consoles are packing in relation to the available pc hardware before choosing the upgrade to my 1070.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
If accurate, this could be a perfect storm for AMD and quite possibly their best and last shot at ever being competitive in the GPU space. A 6+ month lead on 7nm coupled with the amount of die space Nvidia have arguably wasted on undercooked RT and Tensor cores could see large AMD chips packed with nothing but SP's leading in rasterization performance at significantly lower prices. The potential rollout of HDMI 2.1 and Freesync/VRR support hitting millions of displays is just a cherry on top against Nvidia's walled Gsync garden.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia must be confident (or have fat margins they can chop) if they can give AMD 6+ months with a process advantage.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just can't get excited for an NVIDIA product anymore since financially it's possibly enough to cost months of rent just afford a higher model GPU. It's a main reason I just have zero interest in doing hardcore PC gaming anymore like I used to. It's the Apple of GPU's.

No one is forcing you to get the latest model.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Can't see Nvidia suddenly reversing course and offering 'good value' graphics cards. That'd probably require abandoning RTX cores and that's probably not happening. And with the very 'creaky' performance of RTX so far, expect more room on the silicon making way for more RT cores, meaning next gen is probably going to be just as expensive.

Now that I've been following PC gaming for a good number of years, what depresses me is the 'value' proposition is out the window (well mainly because AMD can't compete). Devs are targeting AAA games where mid specs are a 1060/1070 (at 1080p resolution). The problem I find is that, if you want high end graphics, well you don't even have to consider a xx60/xx70 level card, you need a xx80/xx80ti. There's a huge price gap between the xx80/xx80ti ($699/$999)and the mid tier cards. And now that our local (Australian) currency is down its either a 2070 at AU$800 or 2080 at $1100 or a 2080Ti at $2000.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Bought my 1080 ti for $800 which was also watercooled, I really love it.

I'm not spending more than that for a GPU unless it's like several times more powerful than what I currently have, I just don't see the point.

Nvidia needs to stop with this absurd pricing scheme nonsense and I'll probably upgrade at the 3 year mark past my 1080 ti.

Technology is nice to hear about though.
Can't see Nvidia suddenly reversing course and offering 'good value' graphics cards. That'd probably require abandoning RTX cores and that's probably not happening. And with the very 'creaky' performance of RTX so far, expect more room on the silicon making way for more RT cores, meaning next gen is probably going to be just as expensive.

Now that I've been following PC gaming for a good number of years, what depresses me is the 'value' proposition is out the window (well mainly because AMD can't compete). Devs are targeting AAA games where mid specs are a 1060/1070 (at 1080p resolution). The problem I find is that, if you want high end graphics, well you don't even have to consider a xx60/xx70 level card, you need a xx80/xx80ti. There's a huge price gap between the xx80/xx80ti ($699/$999)and the mid tier cards. And now that our local (Australian) currency is down its either a 2070 at AU$800 or 2080 at $1100 or a 2080Ti at $2000.
I think I saw an article they might make an 11-series for the mid-range to compete with the AMD cards that are slaughtering them for value proposition in mid-tier

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
No one is forcing you to get the latest model.

Why wouldn't you get the latest model?

Like why get the 1080Ti vs the 2080 when they're about the same price? There's a 3gb Ram difference but most people are probably going to get the 2080.

And if you're talking about getting an older card to save money, there'll be xx60, xx50Ti all about the same price (maybe a price increase), with a bit of a jump up in performance, so I don't see why you wouldn't get the new cards.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't 2080 Ti cards still very hard to buy at retail price? Whenever I get an urge to upgrade I get spooked by the ridiculous prices on Amazon.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's the lack of competition, honestly. There's nothing else to say. NVIDIA will charge what they will because there's not a second option. And they'll offer marginal performance increases per generation because AMD isn't there to keep them honest. Navi can't come soon enough. If it even matches the 2080 Ti then it would be a far more compelling product out of the gate if you count VRR into the equation.

Like why get the 1080Ti vs the 2080 when they're about the same price? There's a 3gb Ram difference but most people are probably going to get the 2080.

And if you're talking about getting an older card to save money, there'll be xx60, xx50Ti all about the same price (maybe a price increase), with a bit of a jump up in performance, so I don't see why you wouldn't get the new cards.

RTX as it's implemented right now isn't a very compelling feature so there's that in favor of the 1080 Ti.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Exactly this. I got my 2080 for less than you can get any new 1080ti.

Yes there is the used market but not all of us are comfortable going that route. So for those of us in the new card market 2080 makes more sense. It's more powerful and has more features. Obviously if you aren't feeling the upgrade itch then hold out. But I wanted 4K gaming, and so far 2080 has offered that for me with very little compromise.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Bought my 1080 ti for $800 which was also watercooled, I really love it.

I'm not spending more than that for a GPU unless it's like several times more powerful than what I currently have, I just don't see the point.

Nvidia needs to stop with this absurd pricing scheme nonsense and I'll probably upgrade at the 3 year mark past my 1080 ti.

Technology is nice to hear about though.
I think I saw an article they might make an 11-series for the mid-range to compete with the AMD cards that are slaughtering them for value proposition in mid-tier

I saw that too. That'd be interesting. Though I feel like the xx60/70 range is already mid tier and the RTX 2060 is already coming out in the next couple of days at $349. If they make an 11 series it'd be lower spec than that?

I REALLY regret getting the 1070 at launch vs waiting for a 1080ti. The 1070 only 2 years old is showing its age at 1440p resolution.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's the lack of competition, honestly. There's nothing else to say. NVIDIA will charge what they will because there's not a second option. And they'll offer marginal performance increases per generation because AMD isn't there to keep them honest. Navi can't come soon enough. If it even matches the 2080 Ti then it would be a far more compelling product out of the gate if you count VRR into the equation.

RTX as it's implemented right now isn't a very compelling feature so there's that in favor of the 1080 Ti.

That literally makes no sense. A 2080 still generally performs better than a 1080ti and has more features. Why would you pay more dollars for a card with similar performance and less features. That's just illogical. 1080ti was a better value card WHEN IT ORIGINALLY RELEASED. It's now 2019 and it costs more than the current gen cards for less or equal performance.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if they have also new mobile GPUs based on TSMCs 7nm process in the pipeline for later in the year.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

It used to be that a 980 Ti (Titan!) = 1070 (more or less), and now its a 1080 = 2070... how sad.

Still would get the 2080 over the 1080Ti, ray tracing uses the RT cores so works independent of the shader cores and 'regular' performance with RTX off would be just as good. Well I was looking up the prices and saw that the 2080 is cheaper than the 1080Ti at one of our local computer shops which is just kind of bizarre... so unless you really need that 11gb ram (4k?), I'd personally buy the 2080.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
For curiosity's sake i checked the price of the GPU i had bought 2.5 years back (an overclocked custom cooler 1070) and it now costs around 25-30% more! How does that happen??? Its an almost 3 years old GPU and yet the prices went up??

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
It used to be that a 980 Ti (Titan!) = 1070 (more or less), and now its a 1080 = 2070... how sad.

Still would get the 2080 over the 1080Ti, ray tracing uses the RT cores so works independent of the shader cores and 'regular' performance with RTX off would be just as good. Well I was looking up the prices and saw that the 2080 is cheaper than the 1080Ti at one of our local computer shops which is just kind of bizarre... so unless you really need that 11gb ram (4k?), I'd personally buy the 2080.

Even the 11GB over 8GB argument for the 1080ti is a work of fiction. Shadow of War maxed out with the 4K texture pack uses over 8GB of Ram and the 2080 still outperforms the 1080ti.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_2080_founders_review,26.html

Apr 9, 2018
I find it impossible to believe that AMD will have 7nm GPUs on the market uncontested for any significant amount of time, even if said AMD GPUs are mid-range only.

In fact it's more likely Nvidia will release 7nm TSMC cards around the same time AMD does this year.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Im building in July, and Im not waiting on 2.5k cards in 2020.... So if AMD really does deliver this summer or Q3, then Ill wait on them, buy a high end one and buy a free sync 32" or 34" (if I can find one) 144hz monitor.

I was poised to go Nvidia, but the low selection of G-Sync monitors and the time of my build is coalescing to make me consider AMD instead.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I really hope AMD at least matches them in terms of performance so my next GPU Upgrade won't be $2000

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia must be confident (or have fat margins they can chop) if they can give AMD 6+ months with a process advantage.
Nvidia was late few times already.

AMD got a nice boost with the arrival of 1st generation of GCN in summer of 2013. Nvidia stroke back only in late 2014 with the arrival of famous GTX 9xx line [which was shrunk-down version of Maxwell]. After that, nvidia took 2 more years until the arrival of Pascal 10xx line.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I find it impossible to believe that AMD will have 7nm GPUs on the market uncontested for any significant amount of time, even if said AMD GPUs are mid-range only.

In fact it's more likely Nvidia will release 7nm TSMC cards around the same time AMD does this year.

Me too. If the AMD GPUs are remotely competitive with the RTX at half the price, no doubt Nvidia will have to do something. Maybe they can't match the RTX2080Ti but I don't see why not the 2080 without the Tensor stuff that most gamers don't care about for now, looking at how Vega 64 performs.

Same with Intel if Zen 3 delivers.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I want to pull the trigger on a 20-series card but not at these fucking prices. I have no problem sticking with PS4 and Switch and a GTX 970 until they get their shit figured out.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
July is going to be a long wait for a new GPU, but I'm not paying Nvidia's stagnant prices for a GPU with cool reflections that work only on AAAAAAAA titles 90% of the time.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Wont care about this since the Ti card will cost over $2k going by Nvidia's latest trends... We need AMD to save us with non-insane pricing.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

This is really true, I'm starting to move to consoles due to the exclusives but with the prices that things are going I might not upgrade my PC come next few years.

The only thing I neee to do the final move to consoles is 60fps come the next gen.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even the 11GB over 8GB argument for the 1080ti is a work of fiction. Shadow of War maxed out with the 4K texture pack uses over 8GB of Ram and the 2080 still outperforms the 1080ti.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_2080_founders_review,26.html
It's not fiction. You just don't understand what you are talking about. Guru3D's benchmark graph is extremely primitive, they only show avarage FPS, which is the least important statistic nowadays. 1 percentile FPS and frametimes are more important metric to measure. When GPU hits VRAM ceiling, avarage framerate can still be high, but there can be more micro stuttering introduced, which will not be shown in this Guru3D's almost useless average FPS graph. Also, Shadow of War is just one game. I'm gaming in 4K on a 1080Ti and I can tell you pretty much every single game I have installed right now nearly maxes out 11GB VRAM. I certainly would feel uncomfortable playing these games in 4K with just 8GB of VRAM.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
With the VRR OLEDs rolling out and Nvidia being greedy as fuck I'm going AMD only from now on.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017

The numbers game is just a distraction from the costs, as well.
980 Ti ($650 MSRP) = 1070 ($379 MSRP), 970($329) = 1060 6GB($249), 1080 ($549) = 2070 ($499), 1080 Ti ($699) = 2080 ($699, with only one card on pcpartpicker at that cost on sale)

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Are Intel's GPU's still aiming for a 2020 release, as well?

Supposedly. It sounds like they have a lot of work to do for their game drivers though, because apparently their igpus suffer from poor drivers already. I'm curious to see what their dGpu hardware will look like, because I've heard their igpus do pack some interesting hardware, but it's just not really been scaled up to a beefier product.