Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
With Sony now uncovering more details around the new Playstation 5 console we have a much better view of what lies ahead. The info may not have been delivered cleanly but I try to explain what was shown and what it and all the hardware info actually means along with the look at the Series X and how the machines are vastly different.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL at the intro. Love it. Watching now.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah, this is a clearly one slanted video and makes countless claims with zero evidence or fact. Will stick to DF.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Hmm so he is a fanboy because he praises the PS5? Even though he starts the video by stating that the Xbox is clearly the more powerful console on horsepower?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is actually the best breakdown of the hardware and how the variable clockspeeds work yet. It also covers some of the concerns many have voiced over the last day or so.

On top of that he offers a fairly detailed explanation in to why the absolute peak theoretical performance will rarely be reached on either next gen console (in reality the clocks and usage of the CPU and GPU constantly fluctuate during frames whilst running a game), and why the PS5's GPU would only need to drop a couple of percent (or around 50 MHz, eg down to 2.18 GHz) to claw back a pretty significant amount of power in the rare absolute worst case scenario it does hit its power limit.

In other words, it really is 10.3 Tflops vs 12.1 Tflops, unlike what others were trying to infer by clinging to the Github leaks (9.2 Tflops). Add to that, the higher clockspeeds do have their own set of advantages too.

He also talks about potential bottlenecks or limitations in both systems in relation to one another, and the advantages of the PS5 vs the XSX and vice versa.

Last edited:

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Nice analysis. I was already wondering if the PS5 could offload the OS to the SSD and that might be the case.

16GB of RAM for games would be great.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
Hmm so he is a fanboy because he praises the PS5? Even though he starts the video by stating that the Xbox is clearly the more powerful console on horsepower?

No the claims he was making about bottlenecks has no basis in facts. Plus the other statements he was making. This is why DF didnt go this route. You need to back up your claim with evidence unless dont make them.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The PS5 potentially completely offloading the OS from memory (caching it aside!) due to the extreme SSD speed giving it 2.5GB more for games (15.5GB total) is an interesting theory.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
This is actually the best breakdown of the hardware and how the variable clockspeeds work yet. It also covers some of the concerns many have voiced over the last day or so.

On top of that he offers a fairly detailed explanation in to why the absolute peak theoretical performance will rarely be reached on either next gen console (in reality the clocks and usage of the CPU and GPU constantly fluctuate during frames whilst running a game), and why the PS5's GPU would only need to drop a couple of percent (or around 50 MHz, eg down to 2.18 GHz) to claw back a pretty significant amount of power in the rare absolute worst case scenario it does hit its power limit.

In other words, it really is 10.3 Tflops vs 12.1 Tflops, unlike what others were trying to infer by clinging to the Github leaks (9.2 Tflops). Add to that, the higher clockspeeds do have their own set of advantages too.

He also talks about bottlenecks in both systems, and the advantages of the PS5 vs the XSX and vice versa.
Agreed, he seems pretty even handed with his analysis throughout.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
What's the 100 odd gb missing from the custom ssd then?
It's physically 825GB (there's no more physical storage hidden away, the OS will take a chunk of the 825GB) because it was the optimal amount for their 12 bus connections (hitting their extreme speed requirements). They are not buying an off-shelf product that needs round numbers for sales purposes.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

He also talks about bottlenecks in both systems, and the advantages of the PS5 vs the XSX and vice versa.

I concur. I really hope to see the death of the stupid low effort trolling bullshit of an argument that PS5 is a "9.2TF machine which can boost to 10.28TF like 5% of the time" or some such variation of it. It makes going through PS5 threads needlessly exhausting as I have glean over those useless shit posts.

Tangentially, I remember DF mentioning that MS wanted to ensure locked frequencies for CPU & GPU. So does that mean that the frequency of those components never fluctuate depending on the processing load? If so, isn't that efficient usage of wattage? And on that note, don't current gen GPU & CPU core clocks vary their frequencies while in games?

The PS5 potentially completely offloading the OS from memory (caching it aside!) due to the extreme SSD speed giving it 2.5GB more for games (15.5GB total) is an interesting theory.

Perhaps one of his more interesting takes in the video. I am really curious to know whether the SSD is fast enough for the majority portion of the OS to be cached there.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

I think we really need to see games running and some metrics on if it is actually running a real game at those clock speeds. That is a really fast clock speed and I am really curious if it can actually run at that speed sustained in a game. We won't really know for sure until games are out and tested. It is 10.3 when you do the math at that speed. What we don't know will it 100% run at that speed when gaming?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I reeeeeeally can't wait to see the games the PS5 allows from Sony's first party studios.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I reeeeeeally can't wait to see the games the PS5 allows from Sony's first party studios.
Agree. I think we are going to see some pretty amazing games on the PS5. Regardless of the TF count and other things, we are still going to get some amazing games. I think some are just too hung up that one has a higher TF number than the other and somehow that diminishes what Sony's World wide Studios can do. Even if the system was a 8tf machine, the games would still be amazing. I personally can't wait to have both of these beasts connected my audio/video set up.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This is a really great well-made video. It's sad that some here choose to attack him cause he seems to be pointing out things about the PS5 that could give t an edge. Even after starting the video with a disclaimer that the XSX would win on rez every single time. He even went on to show a lot of examples to back up his claims even putting a 6TF system against a 5TF system running at the same rez.

That theory of thePS5 preserving less RAMfor the OS is something I have been thinking o since PS5 using an SSD was first mentioned. It should make things really interesting.

Jan 21, 2019
NX gamer is criminally underrated. I wish he had the same following as digital foundry. He totally deserves more recognition for his work and I love his technical breakdowns. It's complex enough without being overbearing.