Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Video inside the link

nypost.com

NY concertgoer Bird Piché partially paralyzed after Trophy Eyes singer’s stage dive into crowd

A punk rock-loving concertgoer is partially paralyzed and can only move her arms after a singer launched himself into the crowd during a show in New York last month.

A punk rock-loving concertgoer is partially paralyzed and can only move her arms after a singer launched himself into the crowd and landed on her head during a show in New York last month.

Bird Piché, 24, suffered a "catastrophic spinal cord injury" at the Trophy Eyes concert at the Mohawk Place in Buffalo, NY, on April 30th, according to WGRZ.

Footage posted to the Australian post-punk rock band's Reddit page shows the moment frontman John Floreani jumps from the stage and is perched up in the air by the rowdy crowd.

Piché suffered injuries to her spinal cord and her stay in the hospital is indefinite, according to a GoFundMe page set up to help her with medical expenses.

The band says they remain in "close contact" with Piché's family and "look to help Bird navigate this difficult time."

Trophy Eyes made a $5,000 donation to her crowdfunding page.

He landed right in her head... tha band is Australian and I dont think she can sue the show's organizers (I know she CAN but I dont know if they can be responsible for the lead singer hitting her head)

I hope they pay all her medical costs and more without she having to sue (but perhaps suing would be the best assurance for her I dont know)

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible situation

Jesus apparently the singer who jumped on her is like 6'6.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there some sort of insurance that would cover the injuries? The band, the venue someone? I've been in loads of moshpits in my life but never liked stage diving.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there some sort of insurance that would cover the injuries? The band, the venue someone? I've been in loads of moshpits in my life but never liked stage diving.

Would insurance even cover that? Insurance carriers would say do not stage dive since that has some chance of hurting the person jumping or someone getting crushed

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
stage dives usually end up bad for the person jumping or for some poor person that catches the brunt of the weight. venues should fine anybody that does it. although i'm sure there are probably rules in place but i doubt they ever get enforced.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I got kicked in the head by people with big combat boots on who were crowd surfing back in the day too many times.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Trophy Eyes made a $5,000 donation to her crowdfunding page.

I don't think that's going to cut it.

Stage diving is always potentially dangerous, but especially in this case when the guy gave little notice and is also a very big dude. What the fuck was he thinking?

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
He landed right in her head... tha band is Australian and I dont think she can sue the show's organizers (I know she CAN but I dont know if they can be responsible for the lead singer hitting her head)

I hope they pay all her medical costs and more without she having to sue (but perhaps suing would be the best assurance for her I dont know)

She definitely can sue the venue and she will. They will likely be insured unless this is a hole in the wall place. She can definitely sue the band as well, being Australian doesn't make you immune to a lawsuit and there are numerous treaties that would ensure the band would care about the lawsuit and would need to pay up if they lost (though it's unclear if they actually could pay, bands tend to not be rich). She could also likely sue whatever companies backed the band for an international tour if there were any. Their liability is unclear but they'd probably settle to make this go away.

Oct 25, 2017
I got kicked in the head by people with big combat boots on who were crowd surfing back in the day too many times.

I saw someone get crowd surfed into a spot that no one was standing, they hit the ground so hard and starting shaking non stop, was pretty scary

Who the hell gets crowd surfed AWAY from the stage =/

She definitely can sue the venue and she will. They will likely be insured unless this is a hole in the wall place. She can definitely sue the band as well, being Australian doesn't make you immune to a lawsuit and there are numerous treaties that would ensure the band would care about the lawsuit and would need to pay up if they lost (though it's unclear if they actually could pay, bands tend to not be rich). She could also likely sue whatever companies backed the band for an international tour if there were any. Their liability is unclear but they'd probably settle to make this go away.

I know the Smashing Pumpkins and some other really big bands had people get really badly injured or die in mosh pits at their shows, do you remember if they got sued? Pumpkins banned moshing at their shows after

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I went to a Dillinger Escape Plan show years ago where one of the guitarists essentially landed directly on my head. Came out of it with just a concussion. Honestly it never even occurred to me that something like this could've happened even though it seems obvious in retrospect.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Googling Trophy Eyes and this doesn't age well

commenter-on-trophy-eyes-20230426174242.jpg

GNXGgSDaoAAYsE-

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
This story has been getting decent traction locally. Mohawk Place is a great divey venue for small shows. The size of the crowds is no where near thick enough for stage diving though.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
My favorite band often talk shit on people trying to crowd surf or getting out of control and I respect the shit out of them for it because it's 100% stupid dumb fuck shit to do.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Someone who deserves to get the shit sued out of them. Awful story I'd rather not know about but since I do hope it serves as a deterrent for any other artist doing this shit unsafely

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I hope she has lawyered up because she'll be able to afford top notch healthcare with the payouts from this fuck up

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Massive and reckless fuck up by the lead singer John, who yes is a very large man at 6' 6".

Apparently the venue, Mohawk Place, has been sued for this before and had to shut down for awhile. They now have dozens of no stage diving signs in place and have a zero tolerance policy against it, which the lead singer recklessly ignored.

Btw, he did this without warning about (Edit: 2 minutes) into their first song. The venue is tiny with a stage barely 2 feet off the ground

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Btw, he did this without warning about 5 seconds into their first song. The venue is tiny with a stage barely 2 feet off the ground

Yeah, that's the thing. Not to say it's not safe, but in Everycity, USA there's someone stage diving every night at some punk show. This dude was too big to surprise the audience like that, particularly where the crowd probably wasn't going as hard stagediving themselves so her spatial awareness was probably not on high alert.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps u look out at the crowd and see a tiny woman and decide not to jump. Especially when you're 6'6.

This is a negligence case if I've ever seen it. Only issue is if there is implied consent on the woman's part. As in she knew that there's a high likelihood that there would be crowd surfing.

Sucks all around. Band needs to chill out. Woman needs to have her medical bills covered at least. Band's about to be taken to the cleaners.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps u look out at the crowd and see a tiny woman and decide not to jump. Especially when you're 6'6.

This is a negligence case if I've ever seen it. Only issue is if there is implied consent on the woman's part. As in she knew that there's a high likelihood that there would be crowd surfing.

Sucks all around. Band needs to chill out. Woman needs to have her medical bills covered at least. Band's about to be taken to the cleaners.

If it's like the poster above said and there's loads of signage against stage diving, she would have had no reasonable expectation.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Only issue is if there is implied consent on the woman's part. As in she knew that there's a high likelihood that there would be crowd surfing.

A bartender at Mohawk Place says the venue has had a strict "no crowd surfing policy" since 2011, according to WKBW.

"There are signs posted everywhere in the venue and notice was included in the emails for this show with the show's promoter and the band themselves," Mohawk Place's general manager Mike Thor wrote in a statement to the outlet.

"The problem with what happened at this moment was there was no implied consent. There was just a body falling down from the sky onto a person who didn't know that was going to be happening."

This isn't a "read the article" response, I'm just highlighting that your post's questions are covered near the end of the article. I've quoted both relevant sections.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Reminds me of a post Paul van Dyk made back in march of this year saying he still hasn't received compensation from the event organizers of a show he played back in 2016. They covered a hole in the stage with unmarked cloth and he fell through and had severe spinal injuries and a traumatic brain injury.

He's one of the most famous trance DJ's in the world and he took the event logistics company to court and won a $12 million judgement over 5 years ago and has still yet to see any money from it. They even tried to block insurance from paying for his medical bills.

DuckSauce