Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
It's a strange coincidence that the prior person injured at the venue was named Mike Bird and the current victim is Bird Piche.

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Fucking awful for her. I'm not about blaming anyone for an accident like this, I just hope she's financially looked after.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
$5000 wouldn't even cover an ambulance ride in the US. For this type of injury she'll need a couple more zeros

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
This is why small venues have such a hard time insuring the shows and place. Then they will eventually shut down.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
That's horrible, only 24 and her quality of life is cut down because someone was being a dumb ass. Fuck money compared to this, but I hope she at least gets as much as she can.

How did Eddie Vedder never kill someone stage diving from scaffolding and shit

Being like 5'7" and 140 lbs probably helped limit the potential damage.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
She will be able to sue the venue to hopefully cover her medical expenses. Poor girl.

Hopefully the venue sues the band for violating there no stage dive policy and can stay open after the eventual lawsuit.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Horrific. I despise crowd surfers and stage divers, selfish fuckwits with no regard to anyone else's health or safety. I had a crowd surfer hit my neck a few weeks ago and I had neck pain that lingered for several weeks on, shit sucks. They can all go kick rocks

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've seen lots of folks downplay the singer's culpability here and make excuses for him but fuck this dude. You're 6' 6" diving - without warning, mind you - into a relatively small crowd of primarily smaller people, off a slightly elevated platform, and you don't expect to cause some serious damage? Fuck off.

Something can be a mistake and be a stupid and completely avoidable mistake. This took an insane level of ignorance and reckless abandon. You absolutely 100% aren't absolved because you rode in the ambulance with the person you just paralyzed or because you paid out $5,000 to the family. You put them there because of your reckless actions after dozens of warnings, you're not absolved of shit.

Fuck man, this whole story just makes my blood boil like you wouldn't believe. That poor kid… if I were her, I wouldn't want to see that fucker's mug anywhere near me after that. Stay out of the ambulance you put me in.

Last edited:

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
This sucks. I'm surprised this type of injury isn't more common. Having gone to a lot of punk shows in the late 90s early 2ks at venues with basically no separation between the stage and crowd it was common to have people landing on you all night if you were up close. Super annoying as you had to have split focus on the band and the stage divers. Had a friend that required an ambulance ride to the ER with a concussion from getting landed on. After that I was good off to the sides and further back.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Crowd jumping and mosh pits are for losers. "Oh I want to hurt someone because the music is amping me up." What are you a toddler? Grow up.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That's horrible, only 24 and her quality of life is cut down because someone was being a dumb ass. Fuck money compared to this, but I hope she at least gets as much as she can.

Being like 5'7" and 140 lbs probably helped limit the potential damage.
I didn't know Eddie was so demure.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh that's awful. Poor girl just enjoying a show then this giant asshole leaps out and changes her life. Stage diving is one of those things that can end so poorly so easily and one reason I rarely got close to the stage at any concert.

Hopefully the injuries turn out to be non-permanent and she'd be able to regain function through PT.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Seen people jump off the stage when there were only 2 or 3 people to catch them at small hardcore shows. It's fun but honestly I'm surprised injuries don't happen more often, people should definitely be a little more cautious.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Googling Trophy Eyes and this doesn't age well

commenter-on-trophy-eyes-20230426174242.jpg

GNXGgSDaoAAYsE-

Sorry that's exactly my feelings on crowd surfing and most pits. Can't even focus on the music because you are just trying to protect yourself the whole time.

Oct 25, 2017
She will be able to sue the venue to hopefully cover her medical expenses. Poor girl.

Hopefully the venue sues the band for violating there no stage dive policy and can stay open after the eventual lawsuit.

Venue had signs saying NO STAGE DIVING and the singer did it anyway. So they will be able to use that as a defense

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there some sort of insurance that would cover the injuries? The band, the venue someone? I've been in loads of moshpits in my life but never liked stage diving.

Hrrm, I'd lean to the opposite. There's probably some language in the ticket that says that the venue is not responsible for things done by other people at the venue. Moshpits, stage diving, and people being super close together, dancing, etc, I figure venues load up on legal language to prevent that and officially "ban" moshing, aggressive fighting/dancing, stage diving, etc, and they're basically like "The band did it without our permission, we're not responsible"

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The dude jumped waaaaay too quickly. You should at the very least give some warning to the crowd before jumping. Barely anybody had time to react here, as evidenced by the injury.

Oct 25, 2017
Hrrm, I'd lean to the opposite. There's probably some language in the ticket that says that the venue is not responsible for things done by other people at the venue. Moshpits, stage diving, and people being super close together, dancing, etc, I figure venues load up on legal language to prevent that and officially "ban" moshing, aggressive fighting/dancing, stage diving, etc, and they're basically like "The band did it without our permission, we're not responsible"

Bands and venues carry insurance, and venues have definitely been sued before over injuries. There's only so much a ticket can cover. In this case since the venue explicitly had signs they can def more easily push off liability onto the band.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Crowd jumping and mosh pits are for losers. "Oh I want to hurt someone because the music is amping me up." What are you a toddler? Grow up.
Pretty ignorant comment. I'm not a fan of mosh pits but they have nothing to do with this, don't conflate moshing with stage diving

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, irresponsible behavior, and seemingly unrepentant based on past actions. He and the venue should be absolutely rinsed for it.
They're pretty clear about their no stage diving policy, so hopefully they can prove they sent the rules to the band as they said they did in the article and the band (or their insurance) is on the hook. I feel horribly for the girl and think she should get everything, she absolutely did not deserve this fate. To be clear, if it was a choice between her being healed and the venue existing I'd pick her being healed. But I'd definitely be sad if Mohawk closed again. It's one of my favorite spots as a patron and a performer in this city.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty ignorant comment. I'm not a fan of mosh pits but they have nothing to do with this, don't conflate moshing with stage diving
Nah, it's all part of the same bullshit. I went to an Alkaline Trio concert a few years back in Brooklyn and a bunch of dopes decided to start moshing... yes at an Alkaline Trio concert. I had to physically protect my 5' 2" wife and another guy I didn't know who was about 5' tall and had a disability. I've never been that uncomfortable in my life. Moshing is stupid and people who do it, especially where it shouldn't be happening, can kick rocks.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Nah, it's all part of the same bullshit. I went to an Alkaline Trio concert a few years back in Brooklyn and a bunch of dopes decided to start moshing... yes at an Alkaline Trio concert. I had to physically protect my 5' 2" wife and another guy I didn't know who was about 5' tall and had a disability. I've never been that uncomfortable in my life. Moshing is stupid and people who do it, especially where it shouldn't be happening, can kick rocks.
I'm not familiar with this band, but moshing is a staple of metal and punk shows and has been for the many decades those genres have been around, and it's generally very obvious where the moshpits are and how to avoid them. I say this as a small woman who can't stand moshing myself.

Obviously people who try to start moshpits in the wrong places, during bands or songs that are not appropriate for it, or start shoving around people who are not moshing are dicks and I hate them too, but moshing itself isn't very dangerous at all, unlike stage diving which can, as we see, critically injure someone and is entirely unpredictable.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Smith Street Band, an Aussie band name, are massively against crowd surfing and even moshing to a point because of past injuries and deaths in the music scene. They will stop their set if they see anyone do it and call them out for being idiots due to the dangers. I give any band/singer mad respect for that, we are all here for a good time no need to be a dickhead for your five minute fame.

At the Drive In did this when I saw them too, Cedric was the only one allowed to climb the rigging! :)

Worst pit I've ever seen was weirdly Deftones at Leeds festival just for the sheer scale of the circle and amount of people doing flying kicks thinking they were Ryu.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
How did Eddie Vedder never kill someone stage diving from scaffolding and shit
His stature and being ready for it most likely. Sounds like this singer just sort of randomly jumped. I've been to my fair share of metal/hardcore shows in my youth, and being hit by someone when there is clearly a pit vs one that just suddenly opens is a wildly different experience.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017

Moshing at an Alkaline Trio show would be a circle pit or maybe a push pit. From my experience seeing them anyway.
The size venues that Alkaline Trio would play, it really wouldn't be hard to just not be by the pit..

Personally, I'd be much more worried about crowd surfers than the pit at a show like that.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't think about from that point of view. Might be right.

DuckSauce