• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16983

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vote no on 1. No Democrat with any sense in NY state would vote for something that's almost entirely supported and paid for by the Republicans.

Based on what I'm hearing from friends in red counties like Sullivan and Orange, nobody wants a convention.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vote no on 1. No Democrat with any sense in NY state would vote for something that's almost entirely supported and paid for by the Republicans.

Based on what I'm hearing from friends in red counties like Sullivan and Orange, nobody wants a convention.
So a triumvirate based government with no term limits, hundreds of shadow state corporations, most former triumvirate members convicted (but now free) of corruption, and gerrymandered to hell and back districts does not need changes to the Constitution? This is fine?

I mean governor Tru er Cuomo abolished his own anti corruption committee.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed the NYC elections at all and now I'm trying to research the best democratic candidates in the races. Anyone my fellow democrats think would be best? Is there a viable alternative to de Blasio? If not, I guess I'll be checking him in again.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i guess if you happen to live in city council district 35 (fort greene/clinton hill/prospect heights) you could vote for the DSA candidate, Jabari Brisport.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why would any dare risk a constitutional convention with the GOP when it is essentially a white supremacist party today?

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a triumvirate based government with no term limits, hundreds of shadow state corporations, most former triumvirate members convicted (but now free) of corruption, and gerrymandered to hell and back districts does not need changes to the Constitution? This is fine?

What shadow corporations are you talking about? And how is a constitutional convention going to solve any of those problems? Make it unconstitutional for Silver to leave his house?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Because they are part of the very politically protected civil servant class of labor.

It's the same reason civil servants do not want the legal ability to strike, it is not in their interests financially.

Pretty much all vote no funding had come from Unions and it is much much more than vote Yes support.

Gotcha. Makes sense why all these teachers on my Facebook feed are pushing the No vote.

Deleted member 16983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, exactly. NY's government is a reflection of its constituents. By voting yes on 1, we're giving Republicans the ammunition they need to attempt a seismic shift in some key/important districts.

If you have problems with business as usual, then make your voice heard at the polls. Don't give it away to a small group of angry Republicans and special interests via a constitutional convention.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, upstate is basically all Republican.
Whaaa, upstate is blue, are you insane? It's Trump central up here.

52 of the 62 districts voted for Trump...

Not even close to true

Look at the current distribution of Senate districts and the representative house. The only reason the Senate is not controlled by the Democrats is the corruption of a few Democrats.

The convention comes down to three Representatives from each Senate district. The majority of which are Democratic.

NYS is a blue state. The state GOP/Dem split, specifically in their platforms, pretty much comes down to economic and not social issues.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Well the clear outcome of no is we stay with the corrupt state government we have now.

Unless you economically benefit from that.

Who gets a say in a possible new constitution? Will it be based geographically, thus giving disproportionate voice to the right wing sparsely populated parts of the state?

That's basically the reason to say no. The status quo is bad, but with the intensity of the division right now, I don't trust it not to go wildly out of control to the right despite an overwhelming popular majority on the left. Much like the last election and the US Senate.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
While I still plan on voting in general, I guess I've lost a lot of my faith in democracy, because I don't want voters within a 10-foot pole (poll? ;) ) of constitutional changes.

Paskowitz

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Because NY is generally a blue state, even the upstate region.

Yeah... this is not accurate. There are plenty of R strong holds. While 2016 wasn't a big gain % wise, many upstate blue counties went red. NY will remain a blue state because of the city, but upstate swings both ways. Second term Bush got a good portion as well.

350px-New_York_Presidential_Election_Results_2016.svg.png

350px-New_york_presidential_election_results_2012.svg.png

Next election w/o Hillary should be better but still.

Side note, people in Suffolk really are nuts. Vote Dem for over a decade and then see Trump and go "That is my guy." What?! I understand the "working class" counties but really... Long Island?

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... this is not accurate. There are plenty of R strong holds. While 2016 wasn't a big gain % wise, many upstate blue counties went red. NY will remain a blue state because of the city, but upstate swings both ways. Second term Bush got a good portion as well.

Side note, people in Suffolk really are nuts. Vote Dem for over a decade and then see Trump and go "That is my guy." What?! I understand the "working class" counties but really... Long Island?

Suffolk is trending older, especially the eastern half (where I live). A lot of people who love 1. tax cuts and 2. "law and order."

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes but...

You are showing counties, a insignificant map for any election.

Show a map of state senator districts, the relevant map for a state convention and you will see it will mostly be Democrats at the convention.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Prop 1:
Yes 276,706 18.6%
No 1,212,756 81.4

Prop 2:

Yes 1,034,964 70.7%
No 428,394 29.3

Prop 3 is still being counted.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Despite being republican, malliotakis had some fairly progressive ideas. I'm not sure DeBlasio was the right pick. But this election is more of a refenderum on Trump.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Opening up the entire constitution at once and basically rewriting it on the fly is not a good idea. Government is not supposed to be subverted like that, because of course too many things depend on its consistency (for better or worse). We can amend the constitution bit by bit like we have so far.

And even if the ConCon went through, it would have devolved into an all or nothing affair like that last time it was in effect. Why? Because people are not trying to throw the baby out with the bath water, and pay special interest groups for the privilege of doing so.